The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2003, 04:31 AM   #1
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Dwarvish runes in Mazarbul

Hail and hark<P>I've noticed that in the Chamber of Mazarbul, they use proper dwarvish runes in the book of Mazarbul. I paused my video and deciphered these (I can readrunes. go me!) but it was quite different from what Gandalf said. There was nothing about a shadow in there.<P>Heres what it said:<P>We cannot get out. we cannot get out. they have taken the bridge and second hall. -rar and Looni and Nali [i cant read the names properly, they are larger and strange ] fell there bravely, while the rest retreated to Mazarbul. we still hold the chamber but hope is fading now. Oins party went and Dois [not sure bout names again] but today only we returned. The pool is up to the wall on Westgate. the watcher in the water took Oin. We cannot get out, the end comes soon. We hear drums, drums in the deep. I<P>and it ends there. nothing about a shadow! any thoughts?<BR>by the way, how does it go in the book, i dont own FotR? is it the same as above? if so, what are the peoples names?
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 10:40 AM   #2
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

That sounds much closer to the book actually.<P>The difference is easy to explain. The book would have been made in the props department long before the scene was shot. I know they hired a calligrapher who's job it was to do all the maps, books, etc. He likely based what he wrote mostly on the book. Gandalf's lines wouldn't be enough to fill the couple of pages needed. <P>In the meantime the scripts were being constantly rewritten, often right up to the day of shooting (listen to the director's and writer's commentary on the special edition DVD), hence they would be different.<P>The fact that they went through the care of putting actual dwarf runes on the pages at all, and by the way on the walls too, is a testiment to their dedication.<P>H.C.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:51 AM   #3
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Sting

I saw the runes on the wall. anybody deciphered them?
Old 05-30-2003, 07:05 AM   #4
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I don't have any answers, but the name Looni amuses me for some reason. Reminds me of crazy. Hey! Maybe there was a Crazy the dwarf!
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 10:59 AM   #5
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There is a story on one of the commentaries on the special edition Rotk that talks of the dwarf runes that's kind of funny.<P>I hope I have this right.<P>After they completed the set they invited some Tolkien expert to come see the runes as they were extremely proud of them. Apparently they talk of much of the history of Moria. Anyway, soon after arriving the expert storms out of the set very angry and saying they should be ashamed of making such a mockery of this.<P>It turns out that the guy couldn't read the runes at all and his reaction was caused by a carpenter or someone who joked, "and over there it says ... (I can't remember)." It took them quite a while to sort out the mix up.<P>If someone can fill in the spaces left by my gap filled memory it would be appreciated. It's on the tech/props/costume commentary. Maybe I'll give it another listen tonight.<P>H.C.
Old 05-30-2003, 11:58 AM   #6
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Sting

I told you I wasnt very sure about the names, especially the first letter of each. but im sure the 1st name is Frar now. (i couldnt make out the letter before).<BR>They also changed the runes. They made a new rune for the word "is" and another for "the".
Old 05-30-2003, 12:32 PM   #7
Frodo2968thewhite
Haunting Spirit

Frodo2968thewhite has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Frodo2968thewhite
Sting

It says:<P>"We cannot get out. We cannot get out.<BR>They have taken the bridge & second hall.<BR>Fraar & Loni & Nali fell there<BR>bravely while the rest retreated to Marzabul.<BR>We still hold the chamber, but hope is fading now. Oin's party went 5 days ago, but today only 4 returned. the pool is up to the wall at westgate. the watcher in the water took Oin. we cannot get out. the end comes soon. we hear drums in the deep."<P> "THEY ARE COMING"
Old 05-30-2003, 12:55 PM   #8
Frodo2968thewhite
Haunting Spirit

Frodo2968thewhite has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Frodo2968thewhite
Ring

The runes on the walls say:<P> "Great chamber of the Longbeards of Khazad-Dum, Lord Durin built it. <BR> Behold Khazad-Dum, realm of Durin the Deathless.<BR> Behold Khazad-Dum by Azanulbizar, realm of Durin's sons<BR> Durin III lord of Khazad-Dum.<BR> Durin slain by Durin's Bane. and Nain, Durin's son, Durin's bane also slew him.<BR> Thror, heir of Dain; orcs slew him; Azog cut off his head.<BR> Frerin, Thrain's son, slain in the battle of Azanulbizar, on the shores on Kheled-Zaram, and Fundin slain.<BR> The Great battle of Gundabad and Gladden; remember the dead. <BR> The mines of Barazinbar<BR> The Battle of Azanulbizar<BR> The House of Durin"<P><BR>There is also a huge wall that has one big (yet confusing) inscription:<P>"lor nogrodul & .... el watch tower established at highest peak nta zirakzigilul with star from thirtieth sall second age five hundred of the of the fol fathoms gold smelter built built the estblishment moriaul below below return for silver & elves trade<BR>& the dimril sunk to fourty kheled Zaramul & thuz great gate durinul ened luin settle in the five hu one thousand & twenty news of fall smelt forses sauronul army gates to moria t mo service of lorien elves trade .... belegost being second level shaft sunk to fourt establish .... seventy two great gate .... with sta ....five hu.n... forty of..............o..s... gold smelter kheled zara..............ment moria. ......."<P><BR>I told you it was confusing!<P>If anyone wants inscriptions in Westron, or the item's native tongue, dont hesitate to send me a private message! I know them all!
Old 05-30-2003, 03:04 PM   #9
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Sting

So the only thing they changed was this "Doi" person. Told you i was confused bout the names!
Old 05-30-2003, 03:07 PM   #10
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Sting

Wait, i think i got the runes at that bit mixed up. the rune for "5" looks like the rune for "&". And it looked like is had the word a-o but i couldnt make out the middle letter! Ah well, i guess im not that great a translator!
Old 06-01-2003, 07:31 PM   #11
Lindril Arvilya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In a box at the end of Harrison Ford's street, with a pair of binoculars
Lindril Arvilya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey, far better than me! I got to see one of the sample walls in the exhibits (and touch it!) and I was just like, wow, that sure looks authentic.<P>Lindril(now where's that blond smilie)Arvilya