The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-22-2003, 02:15 PM   #1
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

kittiewhirl1677 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to kittiewhirl1677
Sting Movie Comparisons

To start off this thread, I've noticed a very big similarity between LOTR and The Mummy Returns(I saw it recently, but I've never seen the first one so I wouldn't know about that).<P>1. Both have an evil ruler who comes back after a long period of time to regain control of the Earth<P>2. They both must go to the center of trouble to accomplish their tasks<P>3. They both have immensely powerful jewlery that needs to be put into the center of trouble<P>4. They both have mysterious type of ranger characters(Aragorn in LOTR, Ardeth Bay in Mummy Returns)<P>I just watched the Mummy Returns a while ago, and immediately I noticed that it had a very distinct similarity with LOTR.<BR>Are you in agreement? Well, please put up other similarities!
Old 05-22-2003, 02:45 PM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Good comparison! I adore the Mummy Returns, and mmm... Ardeth... yes, I saw him as an Aragorn-type.<P>First thing that springs to mind is Van Helsing. Directed by Stephen Sommers, who directed Mummy Returns. Lotr starred David Wenham, who features in Van Helsing. Ta Da! Similarity, if a bit obscure <P>I can't think of anything straight off. If do, will report back!<P>Oh... both have gold in them a ring, and a sceptre.<P>And Evy is rather heroic. Kinda Arwen like, perhaps?<P>I'm thinking of the Mummy here, but I just remembered Beni. Grabby, worthless little creature who ends up dead. *coughGollumcough*
Old 05-22-2003, 05:18 PM   #3
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Yup. Hmm... what other movies... Grr... Come on, I know I've got something...maybe next time then...
Old 05-23-2003, 08:32 PM   #4
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Anyone else care to try one?
Old 05-24-2003, 03:13 AM   #5
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

AHHH! Hush your mouth... dont let them hear you say anything compares... *looks around* they are always watching.. always listening... Well to them i say this! NOTHING COMPARES!.... PETER JACKSON HAVE MERCY ON KITTIE!

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2003, 09:39 AM   #6
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

So much fantasy borrows from LotR just as LotR borrows so much from northern European mythology. You could be at this forever.<P>H.C.<p>[ May 24, 2003: Message edited by: HCIsland ]
Old 05-25-2003, 08:52 AM   #7
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

True, HC. But it's still fun to see what opinions other people have about other similar movies and stuff...<P>And Everdrawn: Wah? I didn't exactly get what you there...
Old 05-25-2003, 01:44 PM   #8
Scott
Wight

Scott has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Scott
Tolkien

The little gremlin guys in that oasis place in The Mummy Returns remind me of an army of gollums(es).<P>Also, both movies center around an evil that has emerged from the past to regain it's control over the world.
Old 05-25-2003, 05:16 PM   #9
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Yes, the army of skeletal scarry things made me think it was a bunch of Gollums' come-back from the dead.
Old 05-26-2003, 05:00 PM   #10
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Did anyone else see a similarity between those little gnomish creatures in the Mummy Returns and Orcs? They both guard something "precious" in the center of their "lands" (the Pyramid and Mt. Doom), and they're both fairly gruesome about killing attackers.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 02:47 PM   #11
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Well, it really reminded me of the army guarding Mordor in the Return of the King when that army of weird skeletal jackal thingies appeared nearer to the end, at the pyramid, those thingies that were meant to conquer the world.<P>Finwe:<BR>Were you talking about the same creatures? I just couldn't really tell. There are lots of gnomish creatures in the Mummy Returns.<p>[ May 27, 2003: Message edited by: kittiewhirl1677 ]
Old 05-27-2003, 03:07 PM   #12
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Whoa! Almost every single one of you has mentioned the little pygmie mummy thingies, Don't you read the replies above you?<P>The only similarity between The Mummy Returns and LOTR is the fact that all jewelry that talks is a BAD THING! *sniff* no one understands.
Old 05-27-2003, 03:56 PM   #13
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

I think that it is safe to assume that all jewelry crafted by tall evil Dark Lords is bad.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:12 PM   #14
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Yes, that works. But you're saying that jewelry carved by short, evil lords is not always bad? - sorry, had to say that... *evil grin* <P>*Stares up at the ceiling, thinks about how much she loves criticizing everything*
Old 05-30-2003, 07:53 AM   #15
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Short, evil dark lords are bad too. Though I can really recall any at the moment.
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 08:12 AM   #16
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Well that's true. I'm a short evil dark lord, but I haven't started trying to corrupt the world with my jewelry.
Old 06-01-2003, 01:53 PM   #17
babsies
Pile O'Bones

babsies has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i guess u could consider lord faarquad from shreck to be a little evil dark lord. true he never corrupted any jewlery but he did take the magic mirror hostage, and he was short, and he was a lord... well more an almost king but whatever. never mind ignore me
Old 06-01-2003, 06:18 PM   #18
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yo! What about Mini Me (just for those doomsayers out there, I hate Austin Powers, it just kinda popped into me head) he's kinda, well, not really a dark lord. *sighs* oh well, it was a nice thought.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:42 AM   #19
Thenamir
Spectre of Capitalism

Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Thenamir has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Sting

<P>Two words: Danny DeVito. 'Nuff said.
Old 06-04-2003, 07:18 PM   #20
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Yeah, unfortunately, Sauron wasn't short... But that would have been SO funny!<P>*Stands up and hails Mini-Sauron*<BR>Okay, I wouldn't hail him but you get the point...<p>[ June 04, 2003: Message edited by: kittiewhirl1677 ]
Old 06-09-2003, 09:59 PM   #21
Magician of Nathar
Animated Skeleton

Magician of Nathar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Not really a movie... but does anyone know The Ring of the Nibelung by Richard Wagner. It's quite similar to LOTR, starting with that all powerful, evil ring! Also the union between a mortal man and a kinda immortal woman.<P>There are probably more, but that's it for now. my brain is not functioning fully.
Magician of Nathar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 01:33 PM   #22
kittiewhirl1677
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Nah, sorry, never heard of the book... But yes, evil jewelry seems to be a kind of... whats the word... a kind of book-writing topic for books containing good characters destroying evil.