The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-12-2001, 04:45 PM   #1
hamatime

Ring Oops! Now THAT doesn't sound quite right!

<BR>I hope this isn’t going to be typical of the quality of reporting by the main stream press… In a short blurb tacked onto the end of an article about Nicole Kidman at Cannes, Don Dicker for the Hartford Courant reported, “Day 2 ended on a more fanciful note. ‘Lord of the Rings’ does not open until Dec. 19 but that didn’t stop New Line from showing a 25 minute peak [sic] to the press. Hobbits Bilbo Baggins and crew brained an ogre in fine style.” <br> <br> BILBO BAGGINS? OGRE? I guess I read a different version of LOTR. … And isn’t the first movie “Fellowship of the Ring?”<br> <br> I think more reporters need to visit this site to get their facts straight.<br> <br> <a href="http://members.theglobe.com/theonering/themusical/">members.theglobe.com/theo...hemusical/</a><br> <p></p>
Old 05-12-2001, 05:47 PM   #2
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Ring

<BR><br><br> Hmm. Maybe they didn't have a clue what they were talking about and made something up. That would be better than the alternative. Surely the movies won't be <i> that</i> off base. <p>Those who will defend authority against rebellion must not themselves rebel. </p>
Old 05-17-2001, 12:10 AM   #3
Lady Eowyn
Haunting Spirit

Lady Eowyn has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BR><br><br> there you see another example of how dumb reporters can be <br> whoever wrote this, never did read lotr and had absolutely no idea what he/she was talking about... <p>And he that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom</p>
Lady Eowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 07:23 PM   #4
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

And of course they get rich off of false press. What is this world coming to.<P>Burzdol
Old 05-27-2003, 07:26 PM   #5
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I really think that some reporters need help. They are desperate for a story, even if it boils down to false reporting. Of course, if they haven't read the book(s), then it could be quite easy for them to be confused.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 04:37 AM   #6
Noxomanus
Wight

Noxomanus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Reporters can get to publish the dumbest things.LotR fared bad here,obviously,but most reporters aren't experts in nature either!A while ago,our papers talked about chickens because of the avian plague (don't know what that's in english)were they also talked about chicken ancestry were they tried to mention the Junglefowl,the ancestor of chickens,first of all they didn't translate it out of English (that paper and me are Dutch)and furthermore they raped the word into Jungle-Owl .........And I could name many more mistakes.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:06 AM   #7
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Dont tease me with a hint at a PJ directed movie of The Hobbit...
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 12:51 PM   #8
Lossentilien
Wight

Lossentilien has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I know people who go to the Cannes festival every year, and it's generally only the avid film buffs who go to stuff like that, so it's doubtful that the reporter even went. A lot of them just hang around in the bars and pretend to be successful.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:18 AM   #9
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Not even just that, some reporters don't even go anywhere and are just typing from there apartment at home. I even read somewhere that a so-called reporter supposedly working for a big newspaper, wasn't even working at said newspaper. Pssht. Makes you wonder, doesn't it?
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 06:26 AM   #10
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Its not really the journalists who should be blamed, its the editors who are paid to pick up these mistakes. Except when i plan on taking over the world in my distructive plague of journalism, striking fear into the hearts of celebrities everywhere, that i will do it factually right.

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 06:29 AM   #11
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> pretend to be successful. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I dont know what the journalists are like where u guys come form but here in Australia, they are really true blue. They do get out there and write about everything. My aunt works as an entertainment Journalist here and she goes to most premieres (i know becuase i accompanied her and her daughter to TTT, Dirty Deeds and Matrix Reloaded as well as Tropfest.)<P>Tropfest is like Canns... but canns for Aussies..

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote