User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-08-2005, 12:53 AM   #481
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Pio

Can you put this up just before your post? Skald is enjoying Bror's dilemma.

-- Arry

-----------------------------

PLACED ON GAME

Skald was in two minds about this trap that Bror had set. It was elaborate, ingenious, even. A worthy response, indeed, from the baby brother. It had only taken him fifty years or so to bring the art of practical joking to this new pinnacle.

And best of all, to Skald’s way of thinking, it had rebounded on Bror in a way much better than any revenge Skald might come up with. The silly git had neglected the first rule of practical joking – make sure the target you aim for will be the one you hit. He chuckled quietly as he fussed about with the web of cords that entangled his older brother. Riv, for his part, was red in the face, his eyes narrowed dangerously, as he twirled like some great last leaf of autumn on its spindly stem.

‘Who do you think taught me the art of playing tricks on someone?’ came the muffled question from Skald as he fished about for the right rope to cut. He’d turned his head back for a moment to see who’d crept into the room behind him. ‘You are dead, little brother, so-oo-oo dead!’

He reached up with his knife and began to saw on a likely looking cord . . .

Last edited by piosenniel; 09-08-2005 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:21 AM   #482
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Arry

Have placed your post and followed it with one of my own in response.

Folwren

Unna, I think will counsel her husband to be more mature than either Bror or Skald. But once he's healed up a bit, I think you both had better watch your backs!

~*~ Pio
Old 09-08-2005, 05:12 AM   #483
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Durelin

I put a heading on your post of 9/3 - the one that jumped the game ahead - just so it would be clear to all we are now 2 years ahead.
Thank you! When posting that, I sat there for a few minutes trying to come up with a brilliant title, but...it didn't happen. Meant to get back to it.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:23 AM   #484
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thumbs up

I TOLD you to have Bror let you down nice and soft like!! I tried to warn you! Now you've done it.

Should I let it be, or shall we continue this line of story until we're needed with all the other people? I'm willing to write another post.

And great posts, both of you. Poor Riv, though. I honestly didn't mean for him to be hurt and now Bror's both sick with worry for himself and Riv. Yes, he knows he's dead.

-- Folwren
Old 09-08-2005, 11:04 AM   #485
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Folwren

Oh, let's continue - this little scenario is rather fun

~*~ Pio
Old 09-08-2005, 01:41 PM   #486
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pio,

I think it is, too! Excellent. I'm working on my post now. I'll have it before too long.

Arry,

You're character was supposed to leave for some reason to go show somebody your rune stuff. (I wasn't exactly sure why or where or to whom he'd be going, but I wanted him up early for some reason.) Is he still going to go, or will he cancel it because he wants to stay home with Riv?

Let me know as soon as you can...I may or may not be able to post before you have that decided, we'll see.

- Folwren
Old 09-08-2005, 02:27 PM   #487
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Are we going to just keep putting the posts here for you, Pio, to insert into the thread before the time jump? Mine is done. It was quickly written.

Arry,

If you want Skald to still be here, then I can edit it and change it so that it is. It's easily cured.

- Folwren

--------------------------------------

Bror turned away from Riv and walked quickly and half blindly towards the door. He stumbled against Skald and looked up. The blood that had left his face when he first saw Riv instead of Skald hanging from the ceiling, came flooding back. He grabbed his shirt sleeve and before Skald could resist, had pulled him in silent furry into the hall outside the kitchen.

‘You great blundering idiot,’ he fumed, ‘anyone would know how that trap works if you only stopped to think for a moment. Where’re your brains? You should have known that cutting that confounded rope would have brought him down faster than a boulder. Now I’m off to get the healer ‘cause Riv thinks he’s broken his collar bone.’

‘It’s not my fault!’ Skald replied shortly.

‘If you weren’t such a -’ Bror seemed to stumble on the next word - ‘fool then it wouldn’t be your fault and none of this would have happened. At least he wouldn’t have fallen. Do you think I’d rig such a thing and be stupid enough to not have a way to let you back down when you stumbled into it? Why was he there, anyway? Why weren’t you? Oh, never mind,’ he growled, and before giving Skald a chance to reply he turn and ran off as quickly as he could go. He tore up the hall to his own room, dressed himself properly as quickly as he could, tugged on his boots, and headed back out to get the healer.

The dwarf doctor was very surprised at being woken by Bror pounding on his door so early in the morning. He came out and as soon as he heard Bror’s report, hurriedly got what he thought would be needed and went out with him.

‘How on earth did Riv Stonecut break his collarbone before dawn this morning?’ he asked as he and Bror hurried along the dim corridors and halls. ‘Did he fall out of bed?’

‘No,’ Bror said sourly, ‘he got tripped up by some ropes.’

‘Ropes, was it?’ the old dwarf repeated, glancing shrewdly at Bror.

‘Well, I set a trap for Skald,’ Bror admitted, wanting to talk too much to keep silent, and being completely unable to tell a lie just now, ‘but Riv stumbled into it and Skald, the bloke, cut a rope and sent him tumbling. I didn’t even have a chance to tell him he could just untie the thing and let him down as safely as...well, the upshot of the matter is, Riv fell and says he thinks he broke his collar bone and I was sent to get you and I don’t think he wants his wife and son to know because he told them he was just fine.’

‘Ah. I see.’ He asked no more questions for the rest of the way and Bror remained silent.

When they arrived at Riv’s kitchen, Skald had gone. Unna was there, dressed and prepared for the day, making breakfast. Leifre sat at the table with his hands on the table in front of him and his eyes wide and moist. Unna looked up from the stove where she was frying eggs and her eyes were sharp and piercing as she looked at the healer.

‘He’s in the other room. I think he’s waiting for you.’ The dwarf nodded and went off. Bror began to follow him, but Unna’s words stopped him. ‘You can’t go in there, Bror. Riv wouldn’t like to see you just now I don’t think. Besides,’ she added in a gentler voice as a look of pain crossed Bror’s face, ‘Leifre needs company. He’ll be alright, though,’ she said even more quietly.

Bror nodded and turned to go to Leifre. ‘Want to help me take down the rest of these ropes while we wait for breakfast?’ he asked. The boy looked up at him and then got down from the chair. Bror was surprised when he came and took his hand and practically led him to the pantry.

‘Yes. Will you tell me what happened? Papi wouldn’t tell me.’ They stopped in the doorway and Bror looked with fallen and crushed pride on the ropes that hung loosely from the ceiling and lay limp on the ground.

‘I was trying to catch Skald, but your Papi stumbled into it instead. Then when Skald cut the wrong rope...well, then you know what happened. Come on.’ He dropped the lad’s hand and bent to work. Leifre stood still with his head to one side.

‘It was supposed to be a joke?’

‘My dear Leifre,’ Bror replied with his back to him, ‘this was the best prank I’ve completed ever. It was pure bad luck that it was Riv who happened to land in it. And it was even sorrier luck that Skald got to him before I did.’ He stopped and bit his lip, coiling a length of rope as he thought. The bad luck hadn’t stopped. He had known as soon as he saw Riv hanging there, before Skald had told him he was as good as dead, and long before Riv had just about confirmed the statement by telling Skald that he probably was dead, too, that his prank had gone wrong in more than just one direction. He knew that Skald may have been angry with it, but he wouldn’t have been into very much trouble, but Riv had done nothing to deserve this. Bror would never have dared to intentionally hang Riv upside down like a ham. Now he’d done it, accidently, to be sure, but he’d done it nonetheless, and Riv had gotten hurt, which made it ten times worse, and he had no idea what his older brother would say (or do) once he was in some sort of state to do so.

All he could do now, though, was wait. Leifre was there by his side now, untangling ropes and helping him coil them and when they were finished, they took them back to Bror’s room. When they returned, breakfast was ready and Unna invited him to eat with the two of them. He accepted her invitation.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:40 PM   #488
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm sorry, Dwarveses! You should've said something...I could've held off the time jump just for a little for your antics.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:44 PM   #489
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Quote:
have you changed your char's name or is Nariah a family nickname?
No...no, that was just me being flaming stupid: Nariah was an old RPG character and it was quite late when I finished that post, my mind must just have wandered - senile and I'm not even out of high school yet! Thanks for pointing it out, it's now remedied

Durelin - great last post! Tres ominous at the end... I hope to be able to make a post tomorrow or Saturday, but time is becoming a little tight for me - apologies, but I shall try my best.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:16 PM   #490
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Don't worry about it, Aman; get a post up whenever you can. I'm definitely being kept busy with school...

And I'm glad for once that I wasn't the one going crazy.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:03 PM   #491
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
By Durelin:
I'm sorry, Dwarveses! You should've said something...I could've held off the time jump just for a little for your antics.
I don't think we really knew that there was going to be THIS much going on with our antics...but don't worry about it. You'd have held a lot and a lot of people up. We can just (hopefully without too much trouble) insert our stuff.

- Folwren
Old 09-08-2005, 09:18 PM   #492
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Folwren

Excellent post!

I pulled up an old deleted SAVE of Envinyatar's - #111. Your post is there.

~*~ Pio
Old 09-09-2005, 01:27 AM   #493
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
This is Child and I have put up a save, which should be filled in tomorrow. Durelin has kindly agreed to me coming on board to augment the band of nasties. This is something we had discussed in mid-summer when the game was first getting started. I will put a few sentence profile up on the discussion thread tomorrow. The character is one of Sauron's henchmen, a thoroughly nasty sort.... an Easterling captain. I believe my character has a few more brains than the current Orc contengent , but he has considerably less guile and authority than Sauron, his master. To put it bluntly, my character may not wholly understand that he is in way over his head!

Coming in midstream is always a dangerous thing to do in a story. I have followed your action off and on, but have now managed to read through the entire game. I am thoroughly impressed with the quality of the writing! It is quite likely that my character will say something that conflicts with what's gone on before or your plans for the future. Please don't hesitate to post a note on this thread with suggestions for revisions.

CaptainofDespair,

I'll send you a pm in the morning. I want to make sure that my character doesn't conflict with the ideas and schemes the Great Lord already has going. Please drop me a line--oh, master of Arda--and let me know if I can help in any way.

Glad to be joining all of you (except for the Elves and Dwarves, of course!)

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 09-09-2005 at 01:32 AM.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:44 AM   #494
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Welcome aboard, Child!

Your Easterling captain will make a lovely target for the axes and staves and arrows and blades of the doughty Dwarves . . .

~*~ Pio
Old 09-09-2005, 03:15 AM   #495
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Folwren

I've written a post for Riv following yours . . . feel free to continue it . . . you can more or less wrap up that section of posting if you wish. Or just leave it where it is and follow Arry's lead.

Arry's latest post has moved the Dwarves on timewise, I see, so that we're running on the same timeline (or at least the same year) as the Elves.

~*~ Pio
Old 09-09-2005, 07:17 AM   #496
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Pio,

Sounds good. I'll read the new posts and see what I want to do. May have something done today, though I'm not quite sure. It depends on what needs to be done today here at home.

- Folwren
Old 09-09-2005, 11:07 AM   #497
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I had a blonde moment and thought we had moved on to the next spring rather than next spring but one - so I will have to tinker a little so that Galmir isn't suffering too much from delayed development.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 09-09-2005, 11:17 AM   #498
CaptainofDespair
Shade of Carn Dûm

CaptainofDespair has just left Hobbiton.
I look forward to working with you, Child.

I'm sure your character won't conflict with my ideas, as they are fluid and quite apt to change. But, I will give you whatever information you seek regarding such plans, of course.

-CoD, Master of Arda
Old 09-09-2005, 04:01 PM   #499
Child of the 7th Age

Master of Arda,

Will drop you a note this weekend.

Your nasty servant,

Ulrung

Here is my brief profile. I've made my captain one of the Wainriders. It's interesting that we have info on the Easterling in the first and third age, but absolutely nothing on the second (unless someone can dig up something more than I've located.) I am assuming the groups that were mentioned in terms of fighting Gondor in the Third Age were actually around in the second as well. We simply don't have an historical record....

Name: Ulrung
Race: Wainrider

Ulrung hails from the land to the east of the Sea of Rhun. He is a member of the ruling caste of the tribe of Wainriders, a close relation of the tribal chief. An accomplished charioteer and swordsman, he commands a large contingent of bowman who are also mounted on chariots as well as lowly footsoldiers whom he considers to be expendable. He bears a scimitar and bow in battle. He has long black hair, grey eyes, and wears a light suit of armor when fighting.

Sauron has appointed Ulrung second in command for the planned assault on Ost-in-Edhill. Ulrung's family has given its loyalty to the Dark Lord, not totally understanding who Sauron is or the scope of the latter's ambitions. What Ulrung does understand is that Sauron's plans seem to fit in with his own. Ulrung considers the people of the West to be filthy scum, not worthy of walking the face of Arda. His disdain for the Elves and those men who favor them knows no bounds. He has a grudging respect for Dwarves, whose tenacity in battle touches a cord in his own being. Still, in the engagement to come, his heart is set on grinding the enemy into the ground. Only in this way, will his people gain the riches and power that Ulrung so deeply craves.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 09-09-2005 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:04 AM   #500
Child of the 7th Age

Save filled....
Old 09-11-2005, 01:17 PM   #501
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Arry and Pio,

I'm working on a post that tells about the huge gathering in the Stonecut Halls. I thought it was a great idea and think it'll be fun to write, but I'm not sure what all the Dwarves would do. I've considered it a little bit today...different things they might do. I was wondering what you two thought would be Dwarven type things to do.

I was thinking that some sort of dancing would be fun. I don't know what sort of dancing they do, and if they could even do it with so few women. I only know English Country Dancing (which I don't really see Dwarves doing) and Square Dancing, which is even less likely for Dwarves to do, seeing as it's an American version, pretty much. But that's really a minor detail.

There is a lot of mentioning of songs in Tolkien's work, and probably story telling of some sorts.

But what sort of games do you think? The first thing that came to my mind was Scottish Games...seeing who could pick up and carry the rediculously heavy boulder the farthest, who could toss the treee trunk farthest (I don't see how they could do that in the halls, though), possibly even a sort of randition of tug of war. If 'capture the ledge' that Arry mentioned in one of his earlier posts is a real game, or if it's something you just made up the title for the fun of it, explain it to me. It sounded cool to me, seeing as Riv got an awesome throwing arm and excellent aim from it.

So, really, all I want is some input and thoughts from you two. I'll be writing and thinking on my own to be sure, but whatever you all think will be nice to know, too.

Until then,

-- Folwren
Old 09-11-2005, 04:49 PM   #502
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Folwren

When I starting thinking about the Dwarves and dancing, I thought about another group of people who are traditionally mountain dwellers (though not under the mountains, but in the wooded hollows among the hillsides) - the folk who settled along the Appalachian Mountain range. They were a hard working, resourceful people with close knit communities who drew deeply on their Ango-Celtic roots. They brewed their own drink, 'moonshine', and made some of the most energetic, sweetest, toe tapping music I've had the pleasure to play and dance to.

Some dancing styles included both men and women, but many were individual dances or dances done in little groups of the same sex, mostly male. Some of the dances were little competitions between the males, showing off for the women or just plain trying to outdo each other.

Here's an example of the kind of music I'm speaking about (you can scan down the pages to where the music files are): The Camp Creek Boys - The Fuzzy Mountain String Band

The kind of dancing I had in mind is called Buck Dancing - one of the variants of Clogging.

Just because I enjoy it so much I'll throw in this short history of Appalachian traditional music, too.

Now I can just see the Dwarf men in their hard-soled boots, dressed in their best breeches, their eyes glinting as they try to outdo each other in their energetic, rhythmic, clogging. A little 'likkered' up on home brewed ale - they could set the great hall ringing with the beat of their feet on the hard stone floor.

Perhaps that is more than you wanted to know . . . but you did ask . . .

-- Arry
Old 09-11-2005, 05:28 PM   #503
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

From the article on 'Appalachian Trafitional Music'

Quote:
Appalachian music is mostly based upon anglo-celtic folk ballads and instrumental dance tunes. The former were almost always sung unaccompanied, and usually by women, fulfilling roles as keepers of the families' cultural heritages . . .
Now that would be interesting - one of the women, her clear, pure voice rising in the great hall - singing something of Skald's (I do recall one his talents is composing poems concerned with clan history!) . . . and perhaps Bror's harp could do the accompaniment?

Riv, of course, will not sing unless he is well into his cups -- though he sings with great gusto, his voice is somewhat off key. He can however keep excellent time with the banging of his mug on the oaken table.

I do agree with you folwren - I don't think the Stonecut halls are big enough for some thing like The Highland Games - though that would be interesting to pursue in another RPG - where all the Dwarf clans could come together to compete. There could be some fiery brawls in that competition, and what thick-hided creature could they get to referee?

Food and drink, laughter, music and dancing as Arry suggested . . . and stories as the party dies down a little . . . that's what I see for the scenario

~*~ Pio
Old 09-11-2005, 08:42 PM   #504
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Excellent! Thanks you very much, both of you. I don't have time to read any of the links you sent me, but I will sometime, Arry. I'll keep everything in mind and try to write it out tomorrow. And I don't have to write all of it. I can just have the first beginning part if you two would like to do stuff there. Whatever you want. I was just wondering what all they'd be doing so I could set the scene and get things going. I don't know how long you want it to last or anything...

Gotta be running. I'll try to have that done tomorrow.

- Folwren
Old 09-12-2005, 11:01 AM   #505
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Pio

Here's the post to go after Riv's offer of truce. I hope it is good enough.

Still working on the other post.

- Folwren

------------------------

POST PLACED ON GAME ~*~ Pio

‘That sounds good,’ Bror said, looking up for the first time since Riv arrived. ‘At least I won’t have to worry about it for a while.’ He looked with a deal of chagrin at Riv. His older brother was composed, but something in his face told Bror that he was still in some pain. The white bandage and cast around his shoulder made him wince and he looked back down at his half eaten breakfast. ‘I ought to be going. Jollin will be expecting me soon.’ He pushed back his chair and got up slowly, as though he were tired from his rather exciting night. He paused with his hand on the back of his chair and looked again at Riv. ‘I’m sorry, Riv,’ he finally said. ‘It wouldn’t have happened like it had it gone my way.’ A small smile came to Riv’s face.

‘No, I dare say it didn’t happen like you wanted it. I would have much rather have seen Skald up there than myself. But, ah well, it can’t be helped. Until later, little brother.’

Bror turned and went out. His spirit lifted and he actually smiled again.

‘You actually got out of there unscathed,’ he murmured to himself, turning his feet in the direction of work. ‘But it won’t last like that for too long, don’t expect it to,’ he added quickly. ‘Until Riv is better and Unna is her old sunny self.’ He smiled even broader. ‘By that time, I may have been able to invent something not quite so dangerous, but as equally fun! Every Dwarf for himself, he said. That joins him in the game.’

But then a voice from the other side of his head replied. ‘That meant you, Bror,’ it said. ‘He’s not going to show the least amount of kindness when it comes to luring you into some sort of trap. You can expect something rather uncomfortable.’

However that may be, Bror could feel no worry about it at the time being. There were many weeks between now and when Riv said the white flags would come down and until then, Bror put it out of his mind.

Last edited by Folwren; 09-14-2005 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:23 PM   #506
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Arry and Pio

My post is written. If anything needs changing, tell me and I’ll do so.

I’ve left a lot of the evening open. In fact, most of the fun is still before whoever wishes to write it. I didn’t do much with the dancing, however I started it. You, Arry, seem mighty interested in the subject, so I figured you might like to write about it. You know more than I do concerning it. I love dancing, to be sure, but haven’t done much research on the matter as you appear to have done.

– Folwren
Old 09-14-2005, 03:17 PM   #507
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Everyone in the city will soon know that there is an army of at least 20,000 waiting to pulverize them all. They will tell everyone that they should evacuate the city to outlying lands in the West.

This is where the action in Eregion starts picking up. Those who can fight or refuse to leave the city (well, or both) can stick around and prepare for the worst. Others can evacuate...perhaps someone is going to try and make this organized, as Celebrimbor is incapable of doing so himself? Maybe someone will get together as many people as they can find, or everyone they know and get out with them? Most likely everyone will gravitate to a certain area to the West of the city, gathering in the woodlands.

Alcarillo, Nurumaiel, Mithalwen, and Esgallhugwen (who I think we have definitely lost) - It has probably seemed like a boring and pointless game for you so far. I am sorry for that. But now the action begins in Eregion, so now is the time when we need all of your characters to add to the action and give us their various perspectives. And...it's just time to really have fun.

Arestevana and Seth Cotton - It's been a while since we've heard from Seth, and less since we've heard from Arestevana, but I hope you're both still able to play. The fighting is going to begin soon, and we need someone representing our Lorien cohort.

Pio, Arry, and Folwren - Keep doing your own thing.

Encaitare, Kath, and Firefoot - You keep doing your own thing, too...you'll get action soon enough, I promise.

Evinyatar and Orofaniel - The Lindon forces are of course still unable to reach Eregion very soon. When you do, though, be prepared for chaos...

Speaking of chaos...I think my entire post was a prime example of that.

Thanks everyone for making this game so awesome!

-Durelin
Old 09-14-2005, 03:35 PM   #508
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally posted by Durelin:
Pio, Arry, and Folwren - Keep doing your own thing.
lol! Yes, we do seem to be having fun doing our own thing, don't we?

And directed mostly towards Durelin and Aman:

I'm sorry to complain - your guys's posts have been awesome, well written, and everything - but Celebrimbor just seems too wimpy to me. I mean, sure, I know he's under a lot right now, but I don't think he's takinig it quite as well as he would have. But, then, I could be very wrong. I haven't read anything that Tolkein wrote about this history - I know nothing about Celibrimbor. But considering who he is, forger of the Rings, and master of the city and all that, I've a feeling he would have been stronger.

Just my thoughts. Otherwise, your posts are great, and I love both your characters.

- Folwren
Old 09-14-2005, 04:08 PM   #509
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Fair enough. Everyone is entitled to have their own opinion. If they must.

Like you, Folwren, I haven't really read any of the histories, and what little I have read (which consists entirely of the Silmarillion - yup, that's it) I must admit, I don't remember in great detail, so Tolkien's version of Celebrimbor is pretty much a closed book to me. However, as far as I am aware, that particular character is not really described in so much detail as far as his feelings are concerned - which is a good thing, as it gives the RPGers a rather freer rein as to how he is played. He isn't my character, certainly, and even Durelin has said that she wouldn't exactly claim him as her own, her main character being Maegisil, obviously - and this allows us yet more freedom. In a game, it's all about perception, I suppose - there are rules that govern us, rules about Canon, rules about RPG etiquette towards other players and their characters...but when they don't apply, as in this case, it may kind of come to being a first-come, first-served basis: this is how Durelin and I have chosen to percieve him.

That having been said, I actually don't consider Celebrimbor to be 'wimpy' as you put it; remember, in these posts, he is with his closest advisors, so he is more likely to show his true feelings rather than simply acting as a leader; these are the few people who he can be more...free with. And faced with twenty thousand orcs at short notice, wouldn't you be maybe a little despairing? And besides, to an extent, we are going on what is written about Celebrimbor: he knew about the danger the rings were going to cause for over a century, and he did nothing. Does this really imply a strong and decisive leader? I actually really liked Durelin/Maegisil's way of phrasing it: "You spent one hundred years wallowing in self-pity."

And yes, it is a different take on a historical Tolkien character - but there are strong leaders a-plenty, and this seemed a rather interesting, not to mention rather fitting, twist to the character. And it is a take that I am rather enjoying playing with, really.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:12 PM   #510
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Quote:
I'm sorry to complain - your guys's posts have been awesome, well written, and everything - but Celebrimbor just seems too wimpy to me. I mean, sure, I know he's under a lot right now, but I don't think he's takinig it quite as well as he would have. But, then, I could be very wrong. I haven't read anything that Tolkein wrote about this history - I know nothing about Celibrimbor. But considering who he is, forger of the Rings, and master of the city and all that, I've a feeling he would have been stronger.
When faced with the circumstances such as they are, I think it's safe to say that no matter how strong Celebrimbor was in the past, the events concerning the Rings and the destruction of Eregion could easily have broken the strength of anyone, particularly the one who is in many ways the 'most responsible' for what happened.

Also, in my experimenting with Celebrimbor as a character (not my character, but Tolkien's character who I really have hijacked.... *shifty eye movement), I felt some innate desire to stay away from the more traditional elf-lord, who would act with perhaps more strength and better judgement than Celebrimbor. And in that sense, I see Celebrimbor's failure to see whatever Gil-galad saw in 'Annatar' as a sign that he is quite different...not necessarily weak, just different. And thus, his actions and how he receives the fact that his city is about to be destroyed are going to be different.

Those are just my feelings, though. This has all just been an interpretation of Celebrimbor's character.

-Durelin

EDIT: Hehe...cross-posted with Aman...
Old 09-14-2005, 06:10 PM   #511
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Alright, that works for me. Your explanations make sense. It wasn’t terrible, or anything, you understand, just at some parts that how I perceived him. But it’s all good.

Hope I didn’t offend either of you at all in saying what I did.

- Folwren
Old 09-14-2005, 07:05 PM   #512
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
Alcarillo, Nurumaiel, Mithalwen, and Esgallhugwen (who I think we have definitely lost) - It has probably seemed like a boring and pointless game for you so far. I am sorry for that. But now the action begins in Eregion, so now is the time when we need all of your characters to add to the action and give us their various perspectives. And...it's just time to really have fun.
Boring and pointless! Absolutely not! And I have posted a save and I will get Cainenyo's point-of-view in tomorrow.

EDIT: or the next day. Be patient!

Last edited by Alcarillo; 09-15-2005 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-15-2005, 10:19 AM   #513
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I hope I haven't seemed bored It is just that I chose a low key character as a contrast to my high powered one in Fall of the North since I was going to be an elf woman again so there is a limit to how many general background posts I felt I could make. I made Losrian, Narisiel's apprentice to give some interraction and I have a lot planned for when the battle proper starts (as I said before I created the extended family for a reason.....). Actually knowing it would be a slow start was a crucial factor in me joining this RPG since I knew I had other commitments.

Few posts shouldn't be taken as a lack of commitment in this case. I hope Esgallhugwen returns - I haven't seen much of her recently at all....

Old 09-15-2005, 10:52 AM   #514
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Durelin, don't think for an instant that you've bored me with this game! I'm not bored in the least. I've been reading along with the game and planning for my characters every spare moment. Time constraints keep me from posting more than I should like... certainly not boredom!

Don't even think of apologising, dearie. It's I who ought to apologise for being so inactive. I shall certainly try to post more often... I put up a post written on Sunday, and I have more yet to give.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:25 AM   #515
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

As for Celebrimbor ... I would say that it is often the case that people who are creative geniuses - and Celebrimbor was probably second only to his Grandfather in this respect - are often lacking in other areas and fail to see the potential for evil. Einstein, I am sure, was not motivated by the desire to kill the biggest number of people in the most time efficient way. I think Terry Pratchett's Leonard of Quirm is a very clever characterisation in this respect ...

Inventors often need less creative but more worldly wise associates to protect them from exploitation.

Gil Galad is a soldier a doer rather than a thinker - more inclined to suspect the worst... I think Celebrimbor was neither particularly weak nor stupid - just motivated by craft above all.

Old 09-15-2005, 01:46 PM   #516
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

White Tree ~*~ Sounds of cymbals and piping ~*~

~*~ NOTICE ~*~

Let it be known that

Fordim Hedgethistle

known to those in the Shire as Master Hearpwine, and etc . . .
has now had his name engraved on the iron plaque that bears the list of the story-tellers of Gondor.

Huzzah!

Let all come to The Inn of the Seventh Star in Minas Tirith and raise a glass of cheer to Fordim.

** And for those wondering, drink and food are free on this occasion. And all are most welcome **

~*~ ~*~

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously, everyone is welcome to come to the Inn in Gondor, in whatever character you'd like.

Give a word of congrats to Fordim and knock back a drink or two. I'm there, playing darts . . . challenge, anyone? . . .
Old 09-16-2005, 12:55 AM   #517
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
I've brought the force from Lindon near to Ost-in-edhil . . . a vague distance away . . . so that we can show up, but too late, of course.

Have not seen Oro lately on the site or heard from her. I fear she may be another casualty of the game.

- E -
Old 09-16-2005, 08:20 AM   #518
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Save filled. Go ahead, Pio.

- Folwren
Old 09-16-2005, 03:03 PM   #519
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sorry, everyone. It has been a busy week, and I will be gone most of this weekend. I will get my post up, with Celebrimbor's announcement, very soon, to follow up Aman's wonderful post.

Just wanted to let you know before I ran away for a very long day.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:25 PM   #520
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Dwarves

The King has called for counsel about the events that have just occurred.

Feel free to offer up advice to him both as your own character and perhaps taking on the mantle of some of the other families gathered in the Hall.

Some Dwarves, I'm sure will want revenge, some will say 'leave the Elves to see to their own safety', some will want to play it safe, etc.

Let's hear a little of all those thoughts.

----------------

Elves

I've had a messenger from Celebrimbor killed, along with two of the Dwarves who attempted to save him, as he was bringing a request for aid to King Durin III.

---------------

Orcs and other baddies

I've had some of you kill an Elven messenger on his way to the Dwarves and two of the Dwarves who attempted to hold you off while the others escaped into the mountain. (firmly shutting the door against you, of course!)

I'm sure you can do something Orcishly foul to the fallen . . . if you wish . . .

~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 09-17-2005 at 02:37 PM.