The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-29-2005, 06:46 PM   #1201
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe chipping in

Not that my opinion should matter much here because I'm not even playing the game but I'm not a real big fan of mass lynchings. Double lynchings are one thing & lynching three people might be okay, but if you open the door to a huge, elaborate, eight person mass lynching that guarantees the villagers the win it takes a lot of the fun out of the game for me.

Either way I agree with everyone else that it should be up to whoever is the moderator for each game.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:09 PM   #1202
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Well, Enca is the one who is deciding, but I think I shall comment anyway. I am personally in favor of the mass lynching ideas. It adds so much strategy to the game, as Saucepan Man mentioned above. And I don't mean just strategy of the villagers about when or if they should.

For instance, I was the first one to bring up the mass lynching idea in WW8. I did so to try to do three things: 1) have the villagers shoot down my idea so that they would not do a mass lynching. 2) try to make the villagers think me innocent for bring it up. 3) if the first two failed, I was trying to find a way to force a stalemate by killing everyone(which almost succeeded).

The possibilities are almost endless. In short, keeping mass lynchings in the game does not give advantage to either side, and I think the fact that I was a Werecreature in the last game and brought up the idea means anyone in the future who brings it up will be brought under suspicion.

By the way: whoever ends up being the WereBear, I'll be rooting for you and adding your kills to our total.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:01 AM   #1203
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ye're entirely right, Saucie...the thread is going round in circles. Will it be necessary for me to check this before the game starts, or are we only going to be considering the mass lynching problems until then? Don't bother to answer - I'll keep my eye on it.

I have no opinion on rules and how the game should be played. I'll leave that in the hands of the mod and go along with what ever's decided. I'm pretty complying on my first time round in a game.

- Folwren
Old 08-30-2005, 08:57 AM   #1204
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Nice when people heed your advice, eh Saucepan Man?
Old 08-30-2005, 10:07 AM   #1205
Nonnacedak
Animated Skeleton

Nonnacedak has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nonnacedak
Cant play

I am not going to be able to play this game. I cant get on the internet at home for another week so I cant play. I will hope to play the next game though. Have fun peeps.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:14 AM   #1206
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Since a player has pulled out Nilp has asked me to put his name down to play. Is that ok Enca?
Old 08-31-2005, 09:59 AM   #1207
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
If Nonnacedak can't play can I?
Old 09-01-2005, 06:08 AM   #1208
arcticstorm
Shade of Carn Dûm

arcticstorm has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arcticstorm Send a message via MSN to arcticstorm Send a message via Yahoo to arcticstorm
I know this is a little late, but I am going to ahve to pull out of this next game.
arcticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 09:35 AM   #1209
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

If there is still room now that articstorm has pulled out I would like to play.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:37 AM   #1210
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark
If Nonnacedak can't play can I?
sorry just wanted this to not be overlooked

Kitanna also would like to play and two people have pulled out so maybe us two could fill in
Old 09-01-2005, 09:45 AM   #1211
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Since a player has pulled out Nilp has asked me to put his name down to play. Is that ok Enca?
This request on behalf on Nilp was put in a full day before yours Morsul, when Nonnacedak pulled out. It seems only fair that he should also be considered.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:47 AM   #1212
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
This request on behalf on Nilp was put in a full day before yours Morsul, when Nonnacedak pulled out. It seems only fair that he should also be considered.
yeah no problem I didn't notice that post missed it. I'm not too worried and if you want you can give kitanna the next position too I'll wait till the next game
Old 09-01-2005, 09:50 AM   #1213
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

Morsul first asked to play in a Werewolf game while the last one was going on, and his later request to be put in also went up before Kitanna's, so while I don't mean to offend Kitanna, I think Nilp and Morsul should fill the two empty spaces.

EDIT: Cross-posted. Morsul's willing to sit out. But I think Morm and SpM were willing to sit out the game if others wanted to play.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:55 AM   #1214
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meneltarmacil
while I don't mean to offend Kitanna, I think Nilp and Morsul should fill the two empty spaces.
Not offended at all, but should any other people drop out I would like to join in the fun.

EDIT: Despite Morsul's wanting to give up his place, I think he should take it.

Last edited by Kitanna; 09-01-2005 at 09:59 AM.
Kitanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 11:00 AM   #1215
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meneltarmacil
EDIT: Cross-posted. Morsul's willing to sit out. But I think Morm and SpM were willing to sit out the game if others wanted to play.
Correct if somebody wanted to play so badly and asked me I would be willing to sit out.

Edit: Incidentally, when will we get started?

Last edited by mormegil; 09-01-2005 at 11:11 AM.
mormegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 01:09 PM   #1216
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mormegil
Edit: Incidentally, when will we get started?
Very good question Morm, one which I myself have been pondering about.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:29 PM   #1217
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
We'll start at the end of this week, I believe. Night One is on Sunday, roles should be sent out tomorrow, presuming Enca's still alive and kicking.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 01:35 PM   #1218
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Quote:
Originally posted by Enca

Roles will be assigned either Thursday or Friday, with the first post, a.k.a. NIGHT 1, being put up on Saturday. That means I only have until Sunday to live...
Since she said Thursday, my brother is practically glued to the computer waiting for his pm.

I guess Night 1 will be Saturday and the lynching will begin Sunday. I'm looking forward to this game getting started. I just hope I have a cool role. *hint hint*
Old 09-01-2005, 02:37 PM   #1219
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538
I just hope I have a cool role. *hint hint*
Just my opinion on this matter is that all roles are great. I've been the seer, wolf, and many ordo's and while playing the "gifted" are fun, some of the greatest times I've had are as a know nothing ordinary. Each role has a different feeling of excitment but don't think a role unimportant just because you are not gifted.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:59 PM   #1220
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally posted by mormegil:
Just my opinion on this matter is that all roles are great. I've been the seer, wolf, and many ordo's and while playing the "gifted" are fun, some of the greatest times I've had are as a know nothing ordinary. Each role has a different feeling of excitment but don't think a role unimportant just because you are not gifted.
One of the best and funnest games of Mafia I ever played was one in which I was a regular villiageman.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:08 PM   #1221
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

I can't wait to see what role I get. I don't care what I get because all the roles will have their perks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
We'll start at the end of this week, I believe. Night One is on Sunday, roles should be sent out tomorrow, presuming Enca's still alive and kicking.
Sounds good. Just as long as it starts before school does.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:23 PM   #1222
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
"Just as long as it starts before school does." ~Glirdan

Maybe you'll be that lucky. I just had my first full day of school today...the upside of all this being that there's a decent chance I'll be able to teach an elective class based off of Werewolf next semester, I just need to plan the details with my teacher .
Old 09-01-2005, 04:27 PM   #1223
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelob
Maybe you'll be that lucky.
We might be. School (for those in Canada) starts on Tuesday. So I still have a few more days to see if my hope comes true. But if it doesn't start before, I have until at least Friday (to be safe) before homework starts pilling up.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:54 PM   #1224
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Quote:
the upside of all this being that there's a decent chance I'll be able to teach an elective class based off of Werewolf next semester, I just need to plan the details with my teacher .
Hey I remember you telling me about that! I hope it goes well for you, and that you succeed!
Old 09-01-2005, 05:11 PM   #1225
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally posted by Enca: I will be on vacation from Sunday, August 28 to Thursday, September 1.
If there is anybody else out there who looked at Enca's last active date and wondered where she was. Normally she's fairly active (daily I believe) so an absence took me off guard but it is well enough explained now.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:11 PM   #1226
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I return in triumph!

Sorry to keep you eager players waiting!

Let's clear up the last few issues before I send out the roles.

1. Replacing arcticstorm and Nonnacedak will be Nilpaurion Felagund and Morsul the Dark, since their requests were put in first.

2. Multiple lynchings are not forbidden. That is, to say, they are allowed. But I don't want to see, for example, everyone but a Shirriff who has revealed him/herself lynching themselves in a circle. Come on, guys, that's barely victory. If votes are tied for the DAY, both people will be lynched. *puts on a stern face* Remember, this is not a right, but a privelege.

3. The Cobbler will be aiding both the Werewolves and the Werebear, just because s/he hates the rest of you oh-so-much. This will at least give the Cobbler something to do if all the Wolves are slain.

Any further questions that I can help with? If they're general, post them here; if they're more specific (ie: pertaining to your role), please PM me. Don't worry -- unlike the Werecreatures, I don't bite...

Last edited by Encaitare; 09-01-2005 at 07:13 PM. Reason: I tried to make an official list and it just didn't work...
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 08:42 PM   #1227
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Apologies for the double post, but a new list of players has been requested, and I must oblige.

1. Folwren - blacksmith
2. Shelob - student of the Ancient and Long-Dead Gadian Language; a llama famer on the side
3. Holbytlass - seller of "zoo-doo" fertilizer
4. the guy who be short - politician
5. Meneltarmacil - zookeeper
6. WaynetheGoblin - dentist
7. wilwarin538 - tailor
8. Alcarillo - mayor
9. Durelin - Mistress of 1337
10. Saucepan Man - mushroom harvester
11. Kath - gardener
12. the phantom - apothecary
13. Azaelia of Willowbottom - flower-selling lass
14. Cailín - constant crocheter
15. Nilpaurion Felagund
16. Morsul the Dark
17. mormegil - merchant
18. Gil-Galad - lawyer, has a pet bird
19. SamwiseGamgee - philosophical badger farmer
20. Glirdan - cheese seller
21. Bergil - very bad carpenter

Since we all want to get this thing going, NIGHT 1 will commence at approximately 7:30 EST tomorrow (Friday, Sept. 2). Also, I'd like to give a couple of reminders: votes may not be withdrawn. Don't forget to set your account to Invisible Mode (User CP --> Edit Options --> "Use Invisible Mode" --> Save Changes). I have done this as well. And, if you do not post an occupation by the time I start the game tomorrow, I will make one up for you.

All the roles have been PMed out! I can't wait to begin.

Last edited by Encaitare; 09-02-2005 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:01 PM   #1228
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally posted by Encaitare
The Cobbler will be aiding both the Werewolves and the Werebear, just because s/he hates the rest of you oh-so-much. This will at least give the Cobbler something to do if all the Wolves are slain.
Does this mean that the Cobbler will win if the Bear wins? If so, then the Cobbler has a better chance of winning, being on two teams like that. Or does it mean that the Cobbler is first for the wolves, and then for the Bear? I guess it really doesn't make much difference(especially to me; since I'm not playing ), but I might not be the only one wondering.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:54 PM   #1229
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

It never really struck me that the Cobbler could win, exactly, since the Cobbler is not quite on a team. Also, the Bear will only win if he is the last remaining player.

I think it just makes more sense to have the Cobbler aiding all the Werecreatures, because of the awkward situation we had in WW8 when we had a Cobbler with nothing to do for the rest of the game. It wouldn't make sense to have the Cobbler try to aid the Villagers in killing the Bear after helping the Wolves kill the Villagers.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:27 AM   #1230
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Umm...

I have a wedding to go to on Sunday which should take up the whole DAY. This wasn't a problem before, but with the new start date/time I'll end up missing the whole period. Sorry about that...
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:00 AM   #1231
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye My occupation

I've said earlier that my role would be that of Zookeeper, so please add that to your list. Thanks!
Old 09-02-2005, 10:25 AM   #1232
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Just to check, EST is 5 hours behind UK time right now. It's 17:25 at the moment in the UK, all I need is for someone in the EST zone to confirm that it's 12:25 where you are.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:32 AM   #1233
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Yes samwise it would be 12:31 EST right now. I'm in Mountain and its 2 hours after and it's now 10:31 here
Old 09-02-2005, 10:42 AM   #1234
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

I am in the EST time zone and it is 12:42 right now. So I think we're OK, SamwiseGamgee.

Last edited by Meneltarmacil; 09-02-2005 at 04:03 PM. Reason: misinterpreted SamwiseGamgee's post
Meneltarmacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 09:21 AM   #1235
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

From Werewolf IX: the Saga Owns You and You Know It-
Quote:
Let us know if you will be absent by posting on the original Tol-in-Gaurhoth thread.
I'm leaving for work now, and after work I'm going to a football game, and after that I'm staying at a friend's house and I'm not sure if I'll be able to get on his comp while I'm there (his brother hogs it all the time), and tomorrow morning I'm off to church, so it is possible that I will not be able to post until around 2:00 PM EST tomorrow.

So, while I will not be entirely absent, I might be mostly absent, and since that is extremely unusual for me I thought I would give early warning.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:24 AM   #1236
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

I have just received a PM from Morsul the Dark saying that the hours conflict with his schedule and he will not be able to play. Kitanna may take his place if she wishes.

In future, guys, please make sure that you will have the time to play before signing up.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:28 PM   #1237
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Kitanna is taking Morsul's place, just to let everyone know.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:27 PM   #1238
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

I shall be out for most of Sunday, so shall not be able to post much on DAY 1.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:49 AM   #1239
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Nilp apologises but says he will be unable to post today due to unforeseen circumstances and requests that you do not lynch him for it as he was also unable to get online to warn people.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:37 AM   #1240
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
I will be at church till around 2pm EST. It is now 9:30 where I am so that will be about 4 and a half hours I will be away. Same goes for Wayne.