The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-03-2002, 09:37 PM   #1
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
I'VE got a first cousin once removed named BILBO!!

I kid you not, good people of the Barrow-Downs. Our Lord of the Rings Sunday School study group was discussing how Tolkien may have taken/used names of the peoples of Western Kentucky land in his books. (Names like Barefoot, and Baggins) And that he was also fascinated by the fact that Western Kentuckians grew "pipe-weed". (It's true)

Well, when I mentioned it to my Mom, she said that I had (or, DID have before he died) a "first cousin once-removed" named...BILBO! I about fell over, but I was sitting in our car at the time, so such a feat would have proved difficult. Cool, huh?
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 10:56 PM   #2
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

That is cool...did he have furry feet? Should we start calling you Frodo now? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2002, 11:15 PM   #3
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

K of G - I think you're Sunday School group may have it backwards. The lands of Kentucky were settled by many people of English descent, (my own family is full of English stock by way of Kentucky) so if you go back in the family trees you'll find many English names. Bilbo would be an unusual name though; mostly folk were going for the Biblical names by the late 19th century, but it may have been an old family name.

As for "pipe-weed": by the 1500 tobacco from the Americas had been introduced to Europe, so the first European settlers in America may have already taken up the habit before they came to the New World. (I'm not sure if it was cultivated in England, which is too far to the North) but they were definitely smoking it.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 01:27 AM   #4
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Eye

That is so cool!!! A cousin named Bilbo... wow!
Arwen
Old 11-04-2002, 09:05 PM   #5
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Yeah, I know it's probably not ORIGINALLY a name from Kentucky.

I might call myself Frodo, but I prefer the swarthy men of Gondor, or the Elves, really, than half-hobbits. Plus, at 6'4, I'm more of the size for a Man. But then again, I'm always teased for having size 15 feet...(No foolin'!)
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Old 11-04-2002, 09:48 PM   #6
Helkasir
Haunting Spirit

Helkasir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

kentucky? whoah, that's cool.

... hopefully, no one is idiotic enough to call him...erm, a word that rhymes with bilbo that describes a unique piece of male anatomy.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:55 PM   #7
Arwen Melian
Wight

Location: Sometimes Imladris....sometimes Mirkwood...other times ....Lothlorien
Arwen Melian has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Actually tolkien named Bilbo after Bilboa in Spain.I read it in a book.
Arwen Melian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 11:03 AM   #8
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

Wait a minute...how is it possible to have a "first cousin once removed"? Isn't that an oxymoron? (I'm slow, I know. *shrug*)

BTW, at 6'4" with that big of feet, you're more like a hill-troll than an Elf. I don't mean that in mean way! Just teasing... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2002, 11:31 AM   #9
Cazoz
Haunting Spirit

Cazoz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Diamond, a first cousin once removed is the first cousin for somebody one step away generationally.

For example, a parent or child's first cousin would be your first cousin once removed.

It also works the other way; your first cousin's child but not parent (this is your uncle or aunt!).

[ November 05, 2002: Message edited by: Cazoz ]
Cazoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 11:35 AM   #10
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Sting

Ooooookay, I was forgetting about the generation part. Thanks! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2002, 08:40 PM   #11
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

On the origin of Bilbo: I found this at dictionary.com
Quote:
bil·bo2 n. Archaic pl. bil·boes A sword, especially one having a well-tempered blade.
I don't really know if that's relevant, but I just thought I'd throw it out there anyway.
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 09:36 PM   #12
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

THAT'S SO COOL!!!!!

*Ahem* who's going to call whom Frodo? (J/K)
Old 11-05-2002, 09:52 PM   #13
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Silmaril

Quote:
Actually tolkien named Bilbo after Bilboa in Spain.I read it in a book.
Bilbao, you mean (we wouldn't want to confuse it with Balboa)... the city's Basque name is indeed Bilbo. I've lived there, in fact. Where did you read this?

It seems extraordinarily unlikely, even to a euskophile like me, that this is more than a simple coincidence. First of all, the hobbits are quite clearly English (although I have indeed noticed certain hobbitlike tendencies in Basque culture, such as the idiosyncratic (though not subterranean) houses), and I can think of no other Basque or Spanish influence anywhere in the books, although I would have been happy to have noticed it. Second of all, although I like the city very much, Tolkien would probably have hated it. It's a very industrial port town with a river that they're currently making a valiant attempt to clean. The streets are all paved (though some are very narrow and winding and more like stones than concrete) and you don't see trees until you get out into Getxo. And then, of course, there are the museum of modern art (the Guggenheim; if you've heard of Bilbao, it's probably why) and the resident terrorists, although both of these are post- Hobbit . It's a post-Sharkey Shire, if anything.

Birdland's explanation seems by far the most likely. But I'm very curious about what book is handing out this information. What connection do they see between the two?

(By the way, why is this in the "Movies" forum?)

--Belin Ibaimendi

[ November 06, 2002: Message edited by: Belin ]
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Belin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 04:16 AM   #14
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

(Good question, Belin)
*pushes topic over to Novices and Newcomers*
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 09:29 PM   #15
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Sorry! But it didn't seem appropriate to pust in Novices and Newcomers either!!