The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
You're a bad fan!

...if such a thing as the title suggests can exist at all. But what I am asking has nothing to do with being good or bad or a fan, though it's all related.

Recently I came across the name "Erestor" and had to think for a couple minutes before I recalled who he is. And I thought some. And I discovered that if once I could tell you the names of any person, place, thing, and etc that appear in those books that I have read more than once (LOTR, TH, The Sil, COH. The two HOMEs that I read don't count, since I only skimmed them), now I have to look them up. And once I knew all the genealogies in The Silm by heart, and could give about half a dozen ways a person is related to another person off the top of my head (since cousins and second cousins and cousins x times removed married each other they were all interrelated in multiple ways). Now I can't even trace Hurin's ancestors from memory. I have to look them up.

And I thought some more. When I read Harry Potter I could name you the most minor character. But that was when I was just finished rereading the books and it was fresh in my mind, and I knew I'll forget most of it since that read was a passing fancy. Now I can barely remember the names of the Hogwarts teachers.

When I received the first four books of A Song of Ice and Fire as a gift and read them all in one gulp, I remembered who each character is and where/when s/he is. Then I had to wait a couple months before reading the fifth book. I had to strain my memory to recall who on earth Martin is talking about - and it did not help that the number of characters trippled by that time. But I wasn't bothered really, since ASOIAF is also a passing fancy.

But I thought Tolkien was different! I thought it's not just a passing fancy!

Part of this is because I have not read the books for a couple years. If I reread them I will refresh my memory. But I don't anymore have an urge to read them right now all the time only them. I consult them for information, and once in a blue moon I reread my favourite bits, but rarely and only a few pages at a time.

I think it is because of the Downs that I did not completely forget everything. But I don't go over every single name here that's mentioned in the legendarium that frequently, if at all.

And I feel like I'm a bad fan and should do better.

And then I look at the humungous pile of books that I want to read, and I think I'll leave Tolkien rereads for later.

Does something like that happen to you? Do you ever feel like a bad Tolkien fan?

PS: I wasn't sure which forum to put this under, so apologies if it does not belong here.