The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-17-2003, 10:17 AM   #1
Tinuviel Took
Wight

Tinuviel Took has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Mithril

I am away from home for a few weeks (and therefore my copy of Fellowship of the Ring) and wanted to quote the part about mithril in a compostion I'm writing for my online class. Could someone look it up for me?

I believe it goes something like "The true weath of the dwarves was not in gold and jewels their play things or iron their servant but in mithril, true silver. Mithril, the dwarves loved it, the elves desired it."

If someone could give me the whole quote, I'd greatly appritiate it. Thanks.

Tinuviel Took at your service, my dwarfin lords.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:20 AM   #2
ainur
Haunting Spirit

ainur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Then what do the dwarves want to come back for?" asked Sam.
"For mithril," answered Gandalf. "The wealth of Moria was not in gold and jewels, the toys of the Dwarves; nor in iron, their servant. Such things they found here, it is true, especially iron; but they did not need to delve for them: all things they desired they could obtain in traffic. For here alone in the world was found Moria-silver, or true-silver as some have called it: mithril is the Elvish name. The Dwarves have a name which they do not tell. Its worth was ten times that of gold, and now it is beyond price; for little is left above ground, and even the Orcs dare not delve here for it. The lodes lead away north towards Caradhras, and down to darkness. The Dwarves tell no tale; but even as mithril was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction: they delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled, Durin's Bane. Of what they brought to light the Orcs have gathered nearly all, and given it in tribute to Sauron, who covets it.
"Mithril! All folk desired it. It could be beaten like copper, and polished like glass; and the Dwarves could make of it a metal, light and yet harder than tempered steel. Its beauty was like to that of common silver, but the beauty of mithril did not tarnish or grow dim. The Elves dearly loved it, and among many uses they made of it ithildin, starmoon, which you saw upon the doors. Bilbo had a corslet of mithril-rings that Thorin gave him. I wonder what has become of it? Gathering dust still in Michel Delving Museum, I suppose."
"What?" cried Gimli, startled out of his silence. "A corslet of Moria-silver? That was a kingly gift!"
"Yes," said Gandalf. "I never told him, but its worth was greater than the value of the whole Shire and everything in it."

Is that what you wanted?

[ September 17, 2003: Message edited by: ainur ]

[ September 17, 2003: Message edited by: ainur ]
Old 09-17-2003, 12:05 PM   #3
Tinuviel Took
Wight

Tinuviel Took has just left Hobbiton.
Yes! That was exactly it. Thank you, Ainur. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2003, 05:13 PM   #4
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.