The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2006, 08:59 AM   #2121
Parmastahir
Wight

Parmastahir has just left Hobbiton.
Hi Estelyn -

While I don't collect the movie-related calendars (with a very few exceptions), I am aware of A BUNCH of them. Re any calendars from Germany, you can do an advanced search ebay using the keywords "Herr der Ringe kalender" or "Tolkien kalender" and searching either Germany (specifically) or Worldwide (generally). You will certainly find many LotR movie calendars (or kalenders!) there. They may, as you note, not be particularly unique but simply German editions of the 'standard' New Line calendars.

Thanks for the comments and your welcome. I have met any number of fellow collectors on other boards and look forward to doing the same here. I had seen The Collection Grows thread and skimmed through it. I will take a longer look and post a reply there, also.

Away from the Green Hill Country,

Parmastahir
Old 02-18-2006, 01:36 PM   #2122
Salacia Deloresista
Pile O'Bones

Salacia Deloresista has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Salacia Deloresista Send a message via AIM to Salacia Deloresista
Hey! I'm new to the forum world, but I'm a fast learner. I'm not very good at naming things, so this one is a rip off from a Terry Pratchett book. Call me Sally. It's easier to remember (and spell).

Fantasy is my life. Apart from Tolkien, some other favorites include Terry Pratchett, Tamora Pierce, Robert Jordan, Tad Williams, Orson Scott Card (although he's more sci-fi than fantasy)......the list goes on, but I'll spare you and my ability to remember names. Lets just say it's a long list.

Home is Wexford, PA, but I'm currently living in Giessen, Germany (a smaller city north of Frankfurt). I'm here with the Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange Program through AFS, and so far it's been the most amazing experience of my life! I'll be home next August and reunited once again with my overflowing bookcase.

Not much more to say other than wOOt, I'm excited to join!
Salacia Deloresista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 01:52 PM   #2123
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Thumbs up

A warm welcome to Glaurung, Parmastahir and Salacia Deloresista!

Hope you enjoy your time here! I've been here for about a month now, and am totally immersed.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 03:04 PM   #2124
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Welcome Salacia and Parmastahir to our humble abode. May your bodies rot and be devoured by magots.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:20 PM   #2125
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hi, Sally! I'm sure you'll have a great time at the 'Downs.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 04:23 PM   #2126
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Welcome to the Downs - and to Germany, Sally! I hope you continue to enjoy your time in this lovely country! You shouldn't have trouble finding "Herr der Ringe" fans who share your interest in LotR.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 05:20 PM   #2127
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
welcome Salacia and enjoy yourself!
Old 02-18-2006, 07:16 PM   #2128
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Hey everyone, nice to see all these new members appearing! Enjoy your deaths guys.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:23 PM   #2129
Elnimara

Greetings everyone! I'm El... I've been a Tolkien fan since 7th grade. I'm ashamed to say that the movies are really what got me into it, but I'm now a dedicated, faithful, loyal...um... *gets out thesaurus* truehearted, steadfast, Sam-like, devoted, true, committed Tolkienite, and I shall be for ever! I would swear the oath Fëanor swore if I knew the words.

I'm a freshman in a high school full of Leggy-boppers and LotR-haters. *shudder* Legolas is my favourite character. Before you come to any nasty conclusions, that's book Legolas! I am not an Orlando Bloom fan!

Although I only recently joined this brilliant community, I have been watching you all for a long time. Since I can rarely think of anything witty or smart to say, I might not be very active, but know that I am watching you!

-El
Old 02-18-2006, 07:31 PM   #2130
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Glad to have you aboard El! From what you've written, I have to say you'll do just fine here. Go ahead and feel free to post. We won't bite.... well, unless you join the werewolf games.....

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 07:33 PM   #2131
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
We won't bite.... well, unless you join the werewolf games.....
And even then you're more likely to choke to death on a treefrog

Welcome Elnimara since my message missed you! Though I'm a little scared to find we have another stalker in our midst!
Old 02-18-2006, 07:45 PM   #2132
Gil-Galad

welcome El, our Admitted Stalker... gald you finnally decided to mingle, enjoy yourself!
Old 02-19-2006, 11:27 AM   #2133
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Welcome El and enjoy yourself here!
Old 02-19-2006, 01:59 PM   #2134
Elnimara

Lovely. My very first post and already I've earned myself a title: the Admitted Stalker! I feel everso special. Makes me feel like I belong... Thanks for the warm welcome, especially considering corpses are usually so cold.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:27 AM   #2135
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Welcome El!

Be *ahem* courageous and participate! You won't die to that! (See, you're dead already; you died the day you joined the 'downs.)
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:14 PM   #2136
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Thumbs up

Welcome all newcomers!

Just a little bit longer... I shall return!
Old 03-03-2006, 03:21 AM   #2137
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

Telchar has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf Sorry

Hello everybody!

I would like to apologize, to everyone, for my absence the past month. And the inconvinience this may have brought you.

I have had an incredible battle with my ISP and been without internet access for more that 2 weeks - yrk!

As an aftermath, quite a workload had build itself up on my desk, which needed my attention.

In the same period, has been a phase of moving into my new office, together with my new coworkers,. This involved quite alot for painting walls, floors. Decorating, buying funiture, establishing a new kitchen. And getting my IT equipment up and running.

Today I can finally say that things are close to asuming normallity

With that off my chest, I would like to wish you all a nice weekend.

Cheers T
Old 03-03-2006, 07:29 AM   #2138
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Glad to hear that things are getting back to normal for you, Telch, and welcome back.

I am going to arrange for this thread to be merged with the newcomers/welcome thread, as that is the best place for announcements such as this.

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 03-03-2006 at 07:33 AM.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 09:55 PM   #2139
Legolas in spandex
Wight

Legolas in spandex has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf

Hello people of this site!!! Welcome me if you dare and I say hello to all fellow newbies!! Um, I am a fan of Tolkien but I'm not a senior fan, so do not expect tons of freakily awesome LotR info from me yet. I am still trying to make it through some books, and I am enjoying myself in the reading process. So, anywhosit, hey.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:57 PM   #2140
Gil-Galad

welcome Legolas in spandex! hopefully your experiance here will help you with the tolkien universe!

woah that sounds os formal of me... creepy
Old 03-04-2006, 08:33 PM   #2141
Elatan

Hello to all wights

Greetings. I am a newly deceased Tolkien aficionado and I look forward to a long repose among my ghostly brethen.

I have been a fan of Tolkien since I was six years old, and I have read most of the standard books concerning Middle-Earth, including the Hobbit, Lord of the Rings and Silm. I have always been fascinated by how Tolkien makes his world come to life, describing in detail the history and geography of all his imaginary lands. You almost get the impression that these stories are a chronicle of events that happened in the distant past.

I'm very glad to have found this site and I look forward to some interesting discussions. Elen sila lumenn omentielvo.

Elatan
Old 03-04-2006, 08:43 PM   #2142
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Welcome Elatan and Legolas to our humble abode and a welcome back to Telchar. May you enjoy/continue to enjoy your death here.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:53 PM   #2143
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Hello Legolas and Elatan!!!

My advice, pick someone friendly to haunt...
Old 03-05-2006, 01:55 PM   #2144
Gil-Galad

welcome an enjoy yourself Elatan, and if you must haunt someone, try not to haunt me, i don't get mad about it, i get stabby.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:23 PM   #2145
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
I DID specify friendly...
Old 03-05-2006, 04:53 PM   #2146
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Really a warm welcome to you Elnimara, Legolas in spandex and Elatan! You'll be just fine, believe me. And addicted, believe me in that too...

Have fun, join the games especially, they are great fun. So towards the Green Dragon and Tol-in-Gaurhoth junior to begin with! And learn & contribute to the discussions going on!

I shouldn't be one welcoming Telchar, with over 2000 posts, but then again, you won't bite me if I will?
Old 03-06-2006, 06:54 AM   #2147
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I think there's nothing wrong with Nogrod welcoming Telchar...

Anyway, welcome back, Telchar!

And a warm welcome to all newbies!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:08 PM   #2148
Legolas in spandex
Wight

Legolas in spandex has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I thank all people for their warm welcomes.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:35 AM   #2149
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

And really folks: there is a new Werewolf game starting and we would need a couple of people to join still! Come and try. It's more fun than you believe. Nerve-stressing and mind-boggling.

Look at the Admin thread WWJ VI, Return of the Midsomer Mawlin: kill me again!
Old 03-13-2006, 03:59 PM   #2150
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

Hey everyone, and welcome all newcomers!

I'm just waiting to get our internet hooked up. I shall return!

Nimmy
Old 03-13-2006, 04:34 PM   #2151
Caranlondien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Caranlondien has just left Hobbiton.
I never introduced myself! So, here goes...

First off, I'm a girl (my profile is just a Monty Python quote; sorry, I know it's confusing!). I'm a freshman in college, and I love everything Tolkien's written (although my brother is far more the expert on such matters than I am). And I'm quite looking forward to the game of Werewolf I've signed up for!

I guess I don't really know what else to say. Thanks, everyone, for being so nice and friendly!
Caranlondien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:38 PM   #2152
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Well it's nice to have you here Caran! I believe we're both in the same game, so I look forward to playing with you.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:16 PM   #2153
Gil-Galad

Welcome Caran and enjoy yourself on the downs

Nimmy(spice), i hope you get back soon, the absence of you is unbearable
Old 03-16-2006, 12:51 PM   #2154
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up Welcome all.

It's always nice to see Monty Python Fans around, Caranlondien!

Old 03-25-2006, 04:07 PM   #2155
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

Hello everyone and greetings newcomers! Still waiting to the internet hooked up at my house... grrr... But before I know it, I'll be back.

Nimmy
Old 03-25-2006, 04:47 PM   #2156
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Welcome Caran! I've been enjoying reading your WW game...You have already proved a great addition to this community! (And they're very very welcoming...just look at my join date )
Old 03-25-2006, 05:57 PM   #2157
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Caranlodien, you are doing great!

Welcome!

And as Hookbill said, there's always room for one more friend of Monty Python's! There surely is room for everyone, but MP -friends surely are close to my heart...

Looking forwards to meet you around.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:48 PM   #2158
Dairym
Pile O'Bones

Dairym has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I suppose I'd better introduce myself...

Hi!
I read Lord of the Rings the year the first movie came out--and, of course, was hooked. Hm... I have read all of the basics and some unrelated Tolkien stories... The History of Middle Earth volumes are on my list of to-reads. I am a girl (if there was any doubt ) and I love having alter egos.

I came over from TORC to try the RPing here. I'd rather lurk than post, but I'm trying to break that habit. Dunno how often I'll be around...we'll see.

Excelsior!
~Dai

Let my poem be the universe, containing anything of matter...I'll speak in perfect meteor and comet on the stars.
Dairym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:05 PM   #2159
Gil-Galad

welcome Dairym, i am the ever-loveable Gil-Galad of the downs at your service m'dear

Old 03-30-2006, 08:17 PM   #2160
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Hey, welcome to the Downs, Dairym! Glad to have you!

I think I have seen you in the Green Dragon, and been impressed with your posting and clear writing style. If you are interested in a somewhat slower paced and more involved Inn setting, please stop by the Mead Hall in Rohan. There are fewer people, so it's a bit less frenetic, but the writing standards are pretty high right now, especially with the awesome group we have involved! Lurk for a bit and see if you're interested!