The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2007, 03:08 PM   #481
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Maybe the Witch-king?
Gothmog remained hidden in Angband during Fingolfin's rule, just like the Witch-king did during Earnur's
Old 03-26-2007, 03:35 PM   #482
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
No, but somewhat you are knocking on the right door.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:21 AM   #483
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Gothmog is to Fingolfin as..
Gothmog is to Eärnur.

Fingolfin was killed by Morgoth, of whom Gothmog was one of the most important servants.
Eärnur was killed by the Witch-King, of whom Gothmog (the other one) was one of the most important servants.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:50 AM   #484
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Good job, Mac!

Gothmog was whom I was looking for. Please, take over.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 03-27-2007, 04:59 AM   #485
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Thanks a lot.

Azaghâl is to Maedhros

as

Fingon is to _______
Old 03-27-2007, 06:49 AM   #486
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Fingon to Hador
The Dragon-helm actually did change the possesors this way
Azaghal - Maedhros
Maedhros - Fingon
Fingon - Hador
Old 03-27-2007, 07:22 AM   #487
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Thumbs up

Correct!

Seems like I have to make these more difficult.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:26 PM   #488
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

*bump* Hey, Miggey!
Old 04-04-2007, 01:35 PM   #489
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Sorry, didn't notice that

Umm...

Romendacil II is to Meneldil as
Theoden is to

3 reasons
Old 04-05-2007, 12:12 PM   #490
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Well, I know the answer, though I don't know all the three reasons... only one. Should I post that even, or wait till I have all three so that no one steals the victory from me?
Old 04-05-2007, 12:32 PM   #491
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Post one if you wish
Actually one of them is actually not that important, since it is common to many more.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:39 PM   #492
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Well, Eorl Young would be the answer, since Eorl-Théoden and Meneldil-Romendacil is both 17th kings in the line after each other.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:09 AM   #493
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Ok, you've got two, first they were kings of the both kingdom, and the gap between them.
But the third is in my opinion the hardest one, so whoever gets that should ask next.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:11 PM   #494
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

And are you sure it's not actually a "what do they have in common"-type question? Is it really something that makes a bridge between Eorl and Théoden and the same way between Meneldil and Rómendacil? I mean, isn't that like defeating an army - defeating another similar army later / defeating an army - defeating another similar army later? (if you understand what I mean)
Old 04-12-2007, 04:37 PM   #495
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Yes I understand what you mean, and no, that's not the case.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:59 PM   #496
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Wasn't it, like, after Eorl&Meneldil the other were in the second line of kings after one breaking of the line? I mean there was a childless king in Gondor, while with the death of Helm there started also second line of kings in Rohan. This theory has some flaws, though, since there were actually two childless kings in Gondor before Rómendacil II and on the other hand in Rohan, there were "uncounted" movings from firstborn son to another's son like in the case of Brego but also Fengel, so whatever I do, the numbers don't fit...
Old 04-12-2007, 06:30 PM   #497
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Eye

Nah...
Old 04-13-2007, 06:19 AM   #498
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Some thoughts...

I really can't come upon something serious, though here are the possibilities that came to me:

So, perhaps it was that they were always the first and the last ruler of their kingdom in the Third Age?
Old 04-15-2007, 08:33 AM   #499
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Thumbs up

...umm...yes, that's right, but not what I was looking for
Indeed I could have used that as a reason too
Old 04-15-2007, 03:50 PM   #500
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Gaaah... any hint what direction we should take? Like - time, places (cities?), function, possession, attribute?
Old 04-16-2007, 09:45 AM   #501
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

No, it's an event
Old 04-19-2007, 05:26 AM   #502
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Event?!!?

Could it have something to do with the fact that the ones who were to rule after the latter ones (Rómendacil's son Valacar and Éomer who was in reign after Théoden) both wedded someone from other folk, though I don't see how it relates to Eorl&Meneldil. With Eorl, it could be that Théoden's successor married someone of the folk whom Eorl once helped, but I fail to see such a connection between Meneldil&Rómendacil.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:06 AM   #503
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

No, no, not this
I suggest concentrating on Eorl/Theoden
Here it is more obvious, the others have this in common as well however
Old 04-20-2007, 06:34 AM   #504
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

From the start I thought about the covenant of Eorl&Cirion fulfilled by Théoden, to this adds much the fact that even Meneldil was on Amon Anwar and was present at the time of building Elendil's tomb. However, Rómendacil II. does not have anything to do with it as far as I am aware - perhaps Rómendacil I., who wrote some edict concerning the "sacred place", but this does not have anything in common with fulfiling anything or not...

Just tell me if I am overlooking something or if I am completely wrong on this path.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:57 AM   #505
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

You're wrong...
Let ,e just put it this way, it's only linked to their lives
Old 04-24-2007, 02:30 PM   #506
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Okay pal---

what about a little hint here?

I think I read all I could about all four of them, well, maybe except all the TT&RotK about Théoden from the moment he appears, but I still can't find anything that would make them connected that way you present it.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:33 PM   #507
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Well, it's definitely linked to their lives!
Life...
Old 04-24-2007, 02:49 PM   #508
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

I suppose it's not such a stupid thing like that they all ruled till the day they died

I must be really dumb lately. First that Borondir thing, now I am really curious what the answer on this will be. "You had better go to bed, your wits are sleepy."
Old 04-24-2007, 02:52 PM   #509
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

You're really close, but no...that's a bit too obvious in my opinion
Old 04-25-2007, 07:01 AM   #510
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

I really don't know...

Just thinking aloud in case someone notices some of this and saves me from answering this question.

Three of them (Meneldil, Eorl, Théoden) came to rule when their fathers were already dead. Meneldil was "given" the rulership by his uncle, while Rómendacil also inherited the kingdom by the same sort of a jump. Théoden "did" this to Éomer. Both Meneldil and Rómendacil were supposed to be regents or stewards at first. The three of them except Théoden (if Meneldil was in the War of Last Alliance, which he probably was) also fought some important battle before they inherited the kingdom. Three of them except Meneldil died in battle. All of this are sort of "what do they have in common"-like things, though, and also it is all quite crooky (it's always one character missing or it's somewhat switched).

I also tried to make out some mathematical dependance between them, like for example if the second was always two times older or ten years older than the first when he inherited the throne, or died, or whatever, but Eorl was in general younger than Théoden and it doesn't work.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:56 AM   #511
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Sorry, but as far as I know Romendacil II (not the I) didn't die in battle
And yes, it's a hint
Old 04-25-2007, 11:30 AM   #512
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Ah, really, it was just Rómendacil I., I must have made a mistake. Well then... is it like that the second one died the same way as the first?
Old 04-25-2007, 12:46 PM   #513
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Thumbs up Exactly!

Yes, they died in the same way
Both Eorl and Theoden died together with their horses, while the two Gondorians both died of old age

Of course, there are many other Gondorian Kings that died this way, but it's fact that there was a certain number of kings between them that singles out Romendacil I.

I know it was a hard one, but I tried my best
Old 04-25-2007, 03:30 PM   #514
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Question

You surely did. *dies*

*remembers being on the Downs and therefore being already dead, so arises*
So now...

Isildur is to Sauron
as
Thrór is to _______
Old 04-26-2007, 06:57 AM   #515
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Maybe Dain I?
Isildur got the One Ring after Sauron's death, and the same probably happened after Dain I was killed by a dragon, he received the last of the seven.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:48 PM   #516
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Nope. Is there anywhere explicitely stated that it really happened at that time?
Old 05-07-2007, 10:00 AM   #517
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Hint

This time, the missing value is actually not a name.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:01 AM   #518
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Do you mean by name no person or no own name in general?
Old 05-09-2007, 03:16 AM   #519
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

I'm not sure if I understood your answer correctly, but no own name. Like, for example, it's not "Bilbo Baggins". But it is one exact individual. I think it's quite a big hint.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:16 AM   #520
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

Dorwinion is an own name as well for example...
I think you mean no person.
So maybe...Moria.
Isildur brought "death" to Sauron, just as Moria brought about Thror's.