The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2004, 06:12 AM   #201
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Well, it all started when the Great White Dragon lived on the top of Snowdon. He caught the only man who dared to climb up during that time drinking from a bottle.
Quote:
That man finished in such a hurry that he left the bottle on the top, and his example has been followed by many people since. (Roverandom)
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 06:29 AM   #202
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Pipe Right again

Indeed so. Such an iniquitous practice could only have begun with a dragon.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:46 AM   #203
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

That's what one gets from "Dragons and Elves" - he should have planted cabbages and potatoes instead! Better for the environment, at any rate...

Well, here's a new question: What did Parish see and not see in Niggle's home and garden?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 06-29-2004, 07:08 AM   #204
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
He did see weeds, but did not the picture (that is, he saw dots and lines, but not the picture as a whole)

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 08:07 AM   #205
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Precisely, HI! Carry on...
Old 06-29-2004, 08:22 AM   #206
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Well thank you

In my turn, I'd like to learn Middle Kingdom's and Little Kingdom's respective headmen's appellations of dignity, honor, distinction and preeminence attached to their persons and families by virtue of rank, office, precedent, privilege, attainment and lands (and birthright, in the former case, of course)

thank you

Old 06-29-2004, 12:21 PM   #207
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe Titular rulers

The Middle Kingdom at the time of Farmer Giles of Ham is ruled by Augustus Bonifacius Ambrosius Aurelianus Antoninus, called 'Pius et Magnificus' ('The Pious and Magnificent'), Dux ('military leader'), Rex ('King'), Tyrannus ('Tyrant'), and 'Basileus' ('lord') Mediterranearum Partium (of part of the middle lands).

Ægidius Ahenobarbus Julius Agricola de Hammo, first King of the Little Kingdom, is called 'Draconarius' ('of the Dragon') and Old Giles Worming. Prior to this he calls himself 'Dominus de Domito Serpente' ('Lord of the Tame Worm'), then Earl of Tame.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:58 PM   #208
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Excellent, merciful sir! You are now entitled to conduct the further proceedings of this thread

Old 06-30-2004, 05:36 AM   #209
Spectre of Decay

Pipe A mighty victory

In which heroic deed does Beorhtnoth's sword take part after his death?
Old 06-30-2004, 06:21 AM   #210
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Torhthelm used it to kill one of the corpse-robbers who was slinking around the battlefield - very heroic indeed!
Old 06-30-2004, 02:53 PM   #211
Spectre of Decay

Pipe Crazy poets

That he did, and that it wasn't
Old 06-30-2004, 03:06 PM   #212
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Twenty-four candles - which color, and where were they placed?
Old 07-01-2004, 12:59 AM   #213
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

yammie! - but chew carefully, there may be things in it...

Twenty four red candles adorned Twenty-Four Feast Cake

Old 07-01-2004, 03:20 AM   #214
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

And you found the star, HI! Pass it on...
Old 07-01-2004, 03:32 AM   #215
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

According to Roverandom, the merdog Rover looked like a cross between these two non-mammals. Name both

Old 07-07-2004, 10:43 PM   #216
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Quote:
...a cross between a duck and a tadpole pretending to be a dog!
Very amusing description!
Old 07-08-2004, 12:31 AM   #217
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

correct

Old 07-08-2004, 11:51 AM   #218
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril Next question

Where was Chrysophylax housed in Ham?
Old 07-15-2004, 06:16 AM   #219
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

Anyone want to try this one? It's not hard to find the answer!
Old 07-18-2004, 10:33 AM   #220
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

The ten days are up - last chance to try to answer this one. Clue - it's found in Farmer Giles of Ham! If no one answers by Monday, I'll ask a new question.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:59 AM   #221
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Silmaril

...dredging this up one last time, since I'm too lazy/busy to look for a new one... Anyone?
Old 08-17-2004, 06:40 AM   #222
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

'He was housed in the tithebarn, with the leave of the parson, and there he was guarded by the twelve likely lads.'

Old 08-26-2004, 02:22 AM   #223
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Yes!! Finally! Now it's your turn to post another, HI.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:05 AM   #224
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Ok, than

Pray tell me, who is Goldlover the Divine? (or so I believe the name runs in English)

Old 09-01-2004, 10:00 AM   #225
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Was that part of the Latin name of the King in Farmer Giles of Ham?
Old 09-01-2004, 10:11 AM   #226
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Nearly there, but not quite . The 'person' whose name I'm after was also of kingly descent

Old 09-08-2004, 01:36 AM   #227
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

I'm sorry, HI, but I haven't been able to find anything. Another clue, please? I have no idea where to look further.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:52 AM   #228
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Quote:
I have no idea where to look further

In the cave at one time, under the bridge at another, tithebarn at some occassion for a period, back to cave finally...

Old 09-09-2004, 09:02 AM   #229
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

That must be Chrysophylax, then, though I'm only guessing, since I "cannot read the fiery (= Latin) letters".
Old 09-09-2004, 09:13 AM   #230
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

that's him (it?). Take it over

Old 09-09-2004, 09:16 AM   #231
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Who studied "sigaldry"? (Bonus points for anyone who can tell me what on earth that is!)
Old 09-09-2004, 09:47 AM   #232
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

That was 'a merry passenger, a messenger, a mariner', the acting hero of the poem Errantry.

He also studied wizardry and smithying. I supposed at a time 'sigaldry' should have meant something in between the two, i.e., practical magic, the way to enchant things made by hands. With dark connotations to the word too, not the thing Gandalf would do, per instance, but more like to Necromancer's activities, to control and possess.

My Merriam does not contain such a word, neither Lingvo 9.0 has anything of the kind in its recesses.

Michael Martinez has made a reasearch on the word. Here are the results. Highly interesting article. The quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Martinez
A number of people who have access to books I don't have determined that Tolkien's word "sigaldry" comes from the 13th century poem "King Alisaunder", which is a fanciful retelling of the life of Alexander the Great.
Sigaldry is mentioned in the Lay of Leithian too, and there is definitely associated with Sauron:

Quote:
Master of Wolves, whose shivering howl (2070)
for ever echoed in the hills, and foul
enchantments and dark sigaldry
did weave and wield. In glamoury
that necromancer held his hosts
of phantoms and of wandering ghosts,
of misbegotten or spell-wronged
monsters that about him thronged,
working his bidding dark and vile:
the werewolves of the Wizard's Isle
That's all I could come up with. People in possession of OED may find some more, I suppose

Old 09-09-2004, 11:07 AM   #233
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Right answer, HI, and lots of extra points for the extra information (and link) - thanks! Your turn.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:05 AM   #234
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

this notable persone did not allow himself to be peeped at

Old 10-05-2004, 06:26 AM   #235
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

clue...

he lived by the see, on the very beach

Old 10-05-2004, 06:32 AM   #236
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Are you thinking of Psamathos Psamathides, the sand-sorcerer in Roverandom?
Old 10-05-2004, 07:03 AM   #237
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

The very him It is all yours now

Old 10-05-2004, 08:26 AM   #238
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Which two parties contracted a mutual pact of non-aggression?
Old 10-05-2004, 08:29 AM   #239
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

I suppose that should have been Giles the King of Little Kingdom and mentioned Goldlover the Divine = Chrysophilax

Old 10-05-2004, 10:10 AM   #240
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Yes, you've got it again, HI! Next one...