The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2002, 04:15 PM   #161
Belegfanaion
Animated Skeleton

Belegfanaion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Belegfanaion
Sting

In Rivendell, Bilbo gave Frodo two of his most treasured possessions:

1. A teddy bear to be "a hug in dark places when you're scared and need your mommy,"

and 2. 50 boxes of Cracker Jacks each with "Free Ring with Elvin Writing" stamped on the side to give out to the Nazgul so EVERYBODY would FINALLY be happy!
As Frodo did so, he now saw fine lines, finer than the finest pen-strokes, running along the ring, outside and inside: lines of fire that seemed to form the letters of a flowing script. They shone piercingly bright, and yet remote, as if out of a great depth.
'I cannot read the fiery letters,' said Frodo in a quavering voice.
'No,' said Gandalf, 'but I can. The letters are Elvish, of an ancient mode, but the language is that of Mordor, which I will not utter here. But this in the Common Tongue is what is said, close enough:
One Ring to Bring them all and in the darkness bind them.'"
Belegfanaion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 04:16 PM   #162
Belegfanaion
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Who is Nob?
As Frodo did so, he now saw fine lines, finer than the finest pen-strokes, running along the ring, outside and inside: lines of fire that seemed to form the letters of a flowing script. They shone piercingly bright, and yet remote, as if out of a great depth.
'No,' said Gandalf, 'but I can. The letters are Elvish, of an ancient mode, but the language is that of Mordor, which I will not utter here. But this in the Common Tongue is what is said, close enough:
Old 04-20-2002, 04:58 PM   #163
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Nob is that thing at the bottom of a staircase that you grab when you're going down at 50 miles an hour so you don't land on your face.
---------------
What does Gaffer Gamgee do with his spare time?
Old 04-20-2002, 05:44 PM   #164
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElanorGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The Gaffer writes books on parenting advice, including the hits Raising Ninnyhammers for Dummies and 101 Ways to Tell Your Good-for-Nothing Son You Care.

-----

How did Goldberry meet Tom Bombadil?
Old 04-20-2002, 09:50 PM   #165
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Sting

At Ring Dance!

No, Goldberry met Tom in darkest Africa. She was visiting her granduncle, the spirit of the Nile River, and rescued Tom when he was wrestling a crocodile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If ale doesn't come in pints in the Shire, was does it come in?
Old 04-20-2002, 11:53 PM   #166
KingCarlton
Wight

KingCarlton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ale comes in buckets in the shire, down from the skies as blessings from the Lord of the Tipsy Dances. It's an annual event taking place every day of the year at midnight.

Who the heck were the Sackville-Baggins?
Know ye People, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, And the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars.

Hither came Carlton, the King, black haired, bronze hued, mightily thewed, sullen eyed. Sword in hand, a warrior, a destroyer, a conqueror. With gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jewelled thrones of the Earth, under his sandalled feet.
KingCarlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 04:51 PM   #167
Mr. Frodo
Pile O'Bones

Mr. Frodo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Frodo
Sting

Who were the Sackville Baggins?
Sackville Baggins was the guy who told Saruman to send screaming fangirls to get the hobbits instead of Uruk hai, because teenage girls can smell hot guys from 20 miles away.
(Yeah, my answer was kinda stupid, I know)
Why did the Black Riders want the Ring?
Old 04-21-2002, 04:59 PM   #168
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

The poor Black Riders had gone about in nothing but dark robes for centuries and longed for some jewlery to brighten their look.

---

What was Ted Sandyman's problem?
Old 04-21-2002, 07:07 PM   #169
Aosama, the Wandering Star
Wight

Aosama, the Wandering Star has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Poor Ted Sandyman was really just a misunderstood young hobbit who's family was in dire need of money and was forever being bullied by mean ol' Sam who always beat him up and stole his lunch money.

Why did Eowyn and Merry kill the Witch-King?
Aosama, the Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 08:06 PM   #170
Belegfanaion
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Eowyn and Merry killed the Witch-King beacause he stole their Ale boxes (like juice boxes, but with ale) and drank them all for himself - and of course everyone knows that Merry don't take NO crap from anybody stealing his ale boxes!

Quote:
What shows up on the One Ring when Gandalf puts it in the fire?
Old 04-22-2002, 03:22 AM   #171
KingCarlton
Wight

Sting

Bake for 20 minutes, serve hot.

-----

What is The White Council?
Know ye People, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, And the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars.

Hither came Carlton, the King, black haired, bronze hued, mightily thewed, sullen eyed. Sword in hand, a warrior, a destroyer, a conqueror. With gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jewelled thrones of the Earth, under his sandalled feet.
Old 04-22-2002, 09:13 AM   #172
Wight

Sting

The White Council is the group of Istari (that is, fashion models) who decide what clothing, jewelry, and hair styles are *in* this age. It was the former head of the Council, Saruman, who suggested the extremely tacky gold rings to the Black Riders. This horrible choice (it *so* did not go with their outfits) led him to be kicked from the council. Gandalf is now head of the council.
Old 04-22-2002, 09:14 AM   #173
Wight

Sting

The White Council is the group of Istari (fashion models) who decide what clothing, jewelry, and hair styles are *in* this age. It was the former head of the Council, Saruman, who suggested the extremely tacky gold rings to the Black Riders. This mistake (it *so* did not go with their outfits) led him to be kicked from the council. Gandalf is now head of the Council.
Old 04-22-2002, 01:14 PM   #174
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nevtalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Nob is that thing at the bottom of a staircase that you grab when you're going down at 50 miles an hour so you don't land on your face.
Or hurt something else if you're male [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Ok,we need a question, what is a palantir and what does it do?
Old 04-22-2002, 08:51 PM   #175
Wight

Sting

Duh, don't you get it?!? The Palantir is simply a *very* advanced DVD player with 3-D imaging that makes you feel like you're in the movie!

Q:Who does Sam marry?
Old 04-23-2002, 12:30 AM   #176
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Sam ran away and eloped with Eowyn after she finally realized that A) Faramir was just too into his work to pay enough attention to her, and B) Aragorn was NOT going to leave Arwen, as she (Eowyn) had originally hoped he would. They had two children: Syn and Eosia. Rosie was a bit put out, though.
--------------------------------------
What happened after Merry and Pippen were kidnapped by the Orcs?
Old 04-23-2002, 01:21 AM   #177
KingCarlton
Wight

Sting

The Orcs didn’t realize that the two hobbits had sneaked along with their party, which the hobbits thought was going to the wonderful theme park, Mordor..…but they were much dismayed to find that the orcs were heading for Isengard, the famous temple to the Valar(a group of rock musicians).
When finally discovered by the Orcs, the hobbits were treated to a feast fit for kings but were tricked into converting into Jehovah’s witlesses…er..witnesses.

What was the Ents' Marching Song?

Old 04-23-2002, 07:25 AM   #178
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
What was the Ents' Marching Song?
Ha! I bet you thought I was going to say "The Ents Go Marching", didn't you? Well, that's just too obvious, too corny...and...and...

Arrrghhh! I have the "Ants Go Marching" Song stuck in my head now! Help! Get it out! Get it out!
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 08:07 AM   #179
Wight

Silmaril

To help our friend with the song stuck in his head, I'll ask a question:

How many people were there in the Fellowship? Bonus points for describing them all!
Old 04-23-2002, 12:12 PM   #180
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

Frodo, who was was conned into taking Bilbo's teddy bear and taking it to Mordor by Gandalf's tales of the wonders of the South of Middle Earth and the promise of vast riches.

Sam, a Capt Kirk like person who's always looking for adventure and is always interested in "cruising for Hobbit lasses", but who became tired of Hobbit lasses and decided to go for something different. Gandalf told him about Frodo's journey and about all the "hot chicks" in Gondor and Sam decided Frodo's quest was just the thing.

Merry, an otherwise respectible Hobbit who only agreed to come along because he wanted to escape his creditors.
Pippen, one of those creditors who managed to latch on to Merry just before he escaped and was constantly badgering him about his financial situation.

Aragorn, a power-hungry man who desires dictatorship but just can't find it in the wilderness of Eriador. So, after speaking with Gandalf, he decided Gondor was the place for him.

Boromir is another man whose father became so annoyed by his sons' constant bickering that he would latch onto just about any pretext to send one or both of them away. He Sent Boromir to Imladris, which is about as far as he could think of, and told him some story about the elves and Faramir's dreaming so he wouldn't guess he was really being sent away, and that Denethor was really hoping he would never come back. And, look! He didn't!

Legolas and Gimli are long lost twin brothers- the undesired offspring of a tryst between a trolling elf maiden and a somewhat confused dwarf. Since one resembled an elf and the other a dwarf, each was left with his corresponding race to be raised in respect. They finally found each other after countless years of searching, and, despite their very different backgrounds, they find that they really have a lot in common. They don't know what ever became of their parents, but can only assume the embarrasment of what happened was too much for them, which is why they did what they did.

and, Gandalf. Gandalf is a prestidigitator extraordinaire and a con man as well. He arranged for all the members of the Fellowship to go on this little quest for his own reasons, though no one knows what those reasons are. He not only told Frodo, Sam, and Aragorn about the richness of Gondor, he also ruined Merry's credit and told Pippen where he could meet them, and who do you think told Legolas and Gimli they weren't what they seemed to be? The only person he had nothing to do with was Boromir, but he managed to get rid of him fairly quickly.
------------------------- whew!
What special item did Boromir carry out of Gondor and on his journey?
Old 04-23-2002, 01:40 PM   #181
The Half-Hobbit
Haunting Spirit

The Half-Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Half-Hobbit
Pipe

Despite his assertion at the Council of Elrond that "Gondor needs no king!" Boromir obviously felt differently than he led the others to believe. He always carried with him a ceramic bust of Elvis, and wept like a child if it was taken from his sight.
He could be heard singing Elvis songs sometimes..."You ain't nothin' but a Hobbit, Eatin' all the time" and so on. Quite touching, really, how devoted he was to his King.

What was the name of Aragorn's love, and what does the name mean?
But really I'm not actually your friend,
But I am.
-They Might Be Giants
The Half-Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 01:46 PM   #182
Anarya SilverBranch
Wight

Anarya SilverBranch has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The name of Aragorn's love is Pamela Anderson
and how am I supposed to know what Pamela means!
Old 04-23-2002, 02:45 PM   #183
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Shield

Is that the next question, what does Pamela mean?

Or is this the next question?

Or this?

Ok, the next question is...How were Arwen and Elrond related?
Old 04-23-2002, 08:21 PM   #184
Wight

Sting

Arwen and Elrond were not related at all. Elrond was mayor of Rivendell, and as a part of his "clean up our streets" campaign, took in a hapless down-on-her-luck elven maiden named Arwen, whom he grew to love. But Arwen jilted the handsome Elrond to marry Aragorn, who considered himself Elvis incarnate. Ungrateful wench.
Old 04-23-2002, 08:22 PM   #185
Wight

Sting

Hey wait! forgot question!
Who is Tom Bombadil? details, my friends!
Old 04-23-2002, 10:01 PM   #186
Wight

Sting

looking back, 'Pamela' means 'All-honey'. I doubt that's the answer you're were looking for... now someone answer my question!
Please?
Old 04-23-2002, 11:53 PM   #187
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Tom Bombadil is a horrid, shrunken, mishapen wretch who lurks in the Old Forest, after being driven out of the Shire for wearing footwear and singing off-key.

Hobbit mothers would frighten their children into good behavior by telling them to "behave, or ol' Bombadil will get ye!"

If anything goes wrong in the Farthings, it is blamed on Tom Bombadil. He is known to lead strangers into Barrow-Wight mounds and to feed them to trees.

He's Evil, I tells ye...E-VILLLLL!!!!

What part did the little fox in the woods play in FoTR? Was he evil, too?

[ April 24, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 04-24-2002, 12:57 AM   #188
KingCarlton
Wight

Sting

fOX ? wHAT fOX..was there a fox...in Fotr
Fox on the run..
Fox On The Run?

Birdie - go ' Hurrah Hurrah !

Aosama(bl) - you multi posting junkie, you can always edit your posts for adding wht you leave out the first time....and spare us some space and bandwidth.

Susan - You're one of the best.

Question : Why did Sauron create the One Ring and What Were Its Powers?

Old 04-24-2002, 05:01 AM   #189
Sindalómiel
Wight

Sindalómiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Sindalómiel
Sting

Sauron originally specialised in making tiaras, but eventually got sick of headwear and decided to move on to rings. The One Ring was his first, and only, experiment in ring-making before he changed his mind again and starting creating necklaces.

The Ring's powers include giving the wearer X-ray vision, and the ability to shapeshift.

Why is it so important that Aragorn is Isildur's heir?
Old 04-24-2002, 08:51 AM   #190
Wight

Sting

It isn't. Aragorn just calls himself that all the time to make sure that everyone knows he had cool ancestors. He thought that if he told them enough, people would think he was cool too and they would let him be king.

What species was Gollum?
Old 04-24-2002, 11:51 AM   #191
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gollum was a distant relative of the "Fox on the Run", although he has as much claim to say he is Isildur's heir as Aragorn does, after a drunken night out on Isildur's part. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] Gollum doesn't mention this however, as Aragorn promised that if he didn't, Gollum could be President of Gondor when Aragorn became king.

What is the food the elves are famous for?
Old 04-24-2002, 06:44 PM   #192
Gimli Son Of Gloin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gimli Son Of Gloin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Southern fried chicken, black-eyed peas, corn-on-the-cob, and apple pie.

--------------------------------------------
Who killed Boromir?
Old 04-24-2002, 08:28 PM   #193
Wight

Sting

Well, as the story goes, he and Aragorn got into a bit of a fight about who really should rule Gondor... they started waving their swords around, and y'know, just like their mommys had warned them, Boromir got hurt. But Aragorn never mentioned this to anyone, as it would make him look bad in his campaign to be king.

What habit are hobbits famous for?
Old 04-24-2002, 09:07 PM   #194
ElanorGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

They are famous for both their clumsiness and their love of rogain. All hobbits are born bald, and they used rogain by the bulk load to maintain their heads of curly hair. However, their clumsiness causes them to always spill rogain onto their feet while applying it to their heads, resulting in the hairly feet they are well known for.

-------

What possessed Pippin to drop a stone down the well in Moria?

[ April 24, 2002: Message edited by: ElanorGamgee ]
Old 04-24-2002, 10:11 PM   #195
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Pippin was a stooly, a sell-out, a nefarious double-agent of the worst kind. "Accident", my eye! He was signaling the orcs after waiting days for them to clue into the fact that the Fellowship was stumbling around Moria, ripe for the picking.

Pippin knew that he was risking being exposed for the black-hearted traitor he was, if he dropped that stone down the well, but he had to do SOMETHING, or the Fellowship would get away. Fortunately, he played his role of the lovable bumbler so well that no one suspected his true motives.

Don't believe me? Saying "Oh no, not our Pippin!"? Well, how else can you explain that episode with the Palantir? Saruman actually threw the deadly orb to Pippin, so he could contact his Fearless Leader and clue him in to what was going on. Agent Pippin pulled that one off, too.

Oh, BTW: The mysterious figure on the grassy knoll in Dallas? That was Pippin.

-----------------------

What effect did the Ent Draught have on Merry?

[ April 25, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 04-24-2002, 10:16 PM   #196
Wight

Sting

Ent draught did what it did to all Hobbits: made his foot-fur fall out. Poor Merry returned to the Shire in disgrace, and after many sessions with a psychiatrist about self-esteem problems, he finally worked up the courage to ask his friend's sister, Estella Bolger, to marry him. A sad but true story with a sappy happy ending... coming soon on the made-for-t.v. movie channel!
Old 04-24-2002, 10:18 PM   #197
Wight

Sting

Ent draught did what it did to all Hobbits: made his foot-fur fall out. Poor Merry returned to the Shire in disgrace, and after many sessions with a psychiatrist about self-esteem problems, he finally worked up the courage to ask his friend's sister, Estella Bolger, to marry him. A sad but true story with a sappy happy ending... coming soon on the made-for-t.v. movie channel!
next question: where is Valinor?
Old 04-24-2002, 11:42 PM   #198
KingCarlton
Wight

Valinor is a fancy name given to that itch which is always so hard to reach.

Question : What is a Sheildmaiden's purpose in life?

Optional question : Why do these numbskulls
double post?

[ April 25, 2002: Message edited by: KingCarlton ]

Old 04-25-2002, 01:30 AM   #199
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

The Eye

A shieldmaiden's purpose is to run around looking really big and scary (and "dealing with" any random Witchkings she happens to stumble across) so she can impress all the poor lost Vikings wandering around Middle Earth and maybe find herself a husband. They like their women tough, right?
-----------------------------
Speaking of which, what was that Witchking doing wandering in the vicinity of one too many shieldmaidens? By which I mean, who was he, what was he doing at Minas Tirith,and what did he do when he met Eowyn?

Oh, and regarding question 2: I assume they do that to pad the post count. Annoying, yes, and not entirely "honest", if you know what I mean, but there's not much we can do about it, unfortunately.

Ah, thanks, KC. That was a really nice thing to say. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ April 25, 2002: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]
Old 04-25-2002, 10:21 AM   #200
KingCarlton
Wight

Sting

The witch king, a farmer of repute for his famed pipeweed plantations, was minding his own business. Which happened to be harvesting his yearly crop of thistles and greenleaves, when he was suddenly ambushed by Eowyn, a very buff battle crazed shieldmaiden.. As they fell to the floor and lay on one another, their eyes met and each fell in love with the other.
According to the accounts of One Meriadoc Brandybuck, they were last seen heading for the caves of Moria, hand in hand.

Question : Why has Aragorn so many names, what does each mean?

Observation : The lure of chilling titles is indeed too great to resist for some of the weak willed.