The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2012, 08:05 AM   #201
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I am as frustrated as Guinevere about the Birmingham tour. Had I known of it just three weeks prior, I would have bought my ticket for a day later in order to accommodate the tour.

Planning has been difficult. But I am glad at least of seeing Guinevere at RotR and hopefully also Legate and Lommy. It would have been fun to have a "Downs" train party after leaving RotR.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #202
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
If you're arriving on Monday 6th August please let me know! I will send you my mobile phone number so you can let us know if you get delayed.
Also, could you give me an estimate on what time you'll be arriving? That'd help get a time table going.
Actually, could everyone give us an estimate of what day and time you'll be arriving so we can figure out how to get you to the cottage if you're not arriving on the first day.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #203
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
White-Hand

You will want to take note of the train strike planned for 6-8 August. This is on East Midlands trains which have the monopoly on the Midland main line from St Pancras to Sheffield, via Loughborough, Derby, Retford and Worksop.

We are heavy users of these trains at work and in the past, strikes have just meant very crowded trains with no seats, as they still run, but there are fewer of them. There's also an option to adjust plans and use the east coast main line. I'll check out any news on this as we will get updates at work.

I also read some incredibly complicated stuff about what is going to be shut/chaotic during the Olympics in London - we are sent info that the general public don't get, only employers. If anyone has any particular plans involving London, post 'em up and I will check this out next week when I'm in the office.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #204
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I do hope that First Capital Connect (from Gatwick to St.Pancras) and East Coast (from King's Cross to Retford) will not be affected; I have booked train tickets for Tuesday 7.8.! All these different train companies seem bewildering to me.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:05 AM   #205
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
I do hope that First Capital Connect (from Gatwick to St.Pancras) and East Coast (from King's Cross to Retford) will not be affected; I have booked train tickets for Tuesday 7.8.! All these different train companies seem bewildering to me.
You'll be fine with East Coast, you may get more people onboard though.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:07 AM   #206
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Okay, Lal, I have a question for you about my best option on arrival at Heathrow to get to New Milton, Hampshire.

Should I go for a bus to Woking and then train to NM? Or should I tube it to Waterloo station (blue line then North line) and catch the rail there?

Which route would be faster/easier? Maybe best to avoid going into London?
Old 07-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #207
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I would get the bus to Woking and then the train. Really no need to go into central london to catch the same train you will pick up at Woking - you will be doing two sides of the triangle. There may be more trains to Brockenhurst. Or there are National Express coaches to Ringwood but not so frequent.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 07-20-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #208
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Okay, now I understand, mighty Loremistress of the Trains. There's no way I will remember "Brockenhurst" correctly, though. It will always come out "Brocklehurst".

I'm a wee bit apprehensive how long it will take to be processed through Heathrow. I shall message you once I'm on my way and hopefully arrive in time for lunch if not second breakfast.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:22 AM   #209
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Think of bracken and you will almost get the accent right...

The coach is the quickest journey time (2hrs) but there is only one every hour and a half. 9,15 10.45 so only worth considering if you are "through" at the right time. the rail air bus to Woking goes on the hour and half hour and takes up to 50 mins. Then the trains leave woking for NM on the hour and 16 mins past. The journey takes about an hour and a half - ten minutes less to Brock. Brockenhurst is a pretty forest village and NM isn't so it really depends if you want to get back to the house and settle in first.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #210
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Boots Things to do

I've spent almost all of today (I got up early and everything!!) looking at activities we can do on the moot. I've had ideas floating around but I finally decided to write them down and try to make sense of them.
Below I list them (with post codes so you can find them on Google maps) and a short description. If you've anything to add please post it and I'll pop it on the list. This isn't a strict thing and anything can be added or taken away as long as it is plausible. So let's get this party started, shall we?

__________________________________________________ ____________
Nottingham

- Sherwood Forest (NG21 9HN)
“At the entrance to the country park is Sherwood Forest Visitor Centre with an exhibition on Robyn Hodes Sherwode, two shops and the Forest Table Restaurant. A Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) and Nottinghamshires first National Nature Reserve (NNR), the forest is also home to a wide variety of flora and fauna that live on the dead wood and among the fallen leaves.”

- Nottingham Castle (NG1 6EL)
“Historic site at the heart of the Robin Hood legend and starting point for the English Civil War. Situated on a high rock, Nottingham Castle commands spectacular views over the city and once rivalled the great castles of Windsor and the Tower of London.”

- Belvoir Castle (NG32 1PE)
“This one was remodelled to be a Cavalier's pleasure palace, there's the outer castle which is mostly wrecked apart from the huge riding school (Vienna is not the only place to have had one) and the Little Castle which isn't little, and is amazing.”

- Creswell Crags (S80 3LH)
A set of limestone caves to explore for fun times.

- Alton Towers (ST10 4DB)
I’ve got some free tickets to this, so yeah! It’s got lots of stuff for all ages, and also a water park, apparently. There are also neat gardens and an awesome old castle to explore, too, if you don’t fancy the rides.

York

- Jorvik Viking Centre (YO1 9WT)
Learn all about Rune. Also Vikings. It’s a cool little museum with stuff to buy, too!

- Barley Hall (YO1 8AR)
The building has been restored with high ceilings, exposed timber frames, and possibly the only horn window in England. It has been decorated to replicate what it would have looked like as the Snawsell home around 1483 and boasts a magnificent Great Hall. Visitors to Barley Hall can make themselves at home, sit on the chairs, handle the objects and experience what it would have been like to live in medieval England.

- York Minster (YO1 7HH)
The largest medieval gothic cathedral north of the Alps

- Clifford’s Tower (YO1 9SA)
Once the central stronghold of York Castle, the tower is all that remains; it has nice views from the top and looks a neat place to picnic.

- National Railway Museum (YO26 4XJ)
You can see the Hogwarts Express here, as well as various other trains and steam engine things. If you’re into that sort of thing.

- The Deep Aquarium (HU1 4DP)
It’s an aquarium with lots of fish, sharks, stingrays and probably some water as well.

- City of York Walls (YO1 8RY)
Massive walls of defence. Good for shenanigans.

- YorkBoat / Red boats (YO1 7DP)
Boat rides that are ‘safe and easy to drive’

- North Yorkshire Moors Railway (YO18 7AJ)
Ride on a steam train through some pretty landscapes.

Oxford

- Eagle and Child pub
The famous location for Tolkien and the Inklings’ discussion meetings and general tomfoolery

- The Lamb and Flag pub
Alternate Tolkien and co meeting place; has more space than the E&C

- Punting
Old fashioned Newtonian boating

- Oxford walking tour
There’s a Tolkien and CS Lewis specific tour, but we could probably make our own

- Botanic Garden
Nice place for a picnic

- Christ Church College
Place where Harry Potter was filmed, also quite nice otherwise

Bear in mind, though, a trip to Oxford will probably only happen once so we'd have to fit in as much as possible into a day trip. Whereas York and Nottingham are right on the doorstep for the cottage so it's not inconceivable that we can do multiple days with those things.

Please let me know if there's anything else we can do!