The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2015, 02:42 PM   #3161
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Speaking of English textbooks, my sister and I decided that English (and Lit) classes in school are just gone to Mordor, and we set out on a quest to educate ourselves about all the great books school ignores in favour of mediocre modern ones with "good themes". So perhaps by the age of 30 I will consider myself a well-rounded and well-educated individual. My biggest problem now is that once I finish these books, I want to discuss them with someone, and no one else cares enough to read them.
Old 10-28-2015, 02:26 PM   #3162
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Wet shoes!

Also, that one place in a lecture hall that is lower than everything else so all the rainwater, spilled coffee, and other common liquids tend to accumulate there.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:06 AM   #3163
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
My God, it's full of starlings!

Starlings broke into my roof yesterday and they're building nests there and thete's heaps of them and they just. won't. shut. up.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:42 PM   #3164
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Try a goshawk. That will sort them out.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:04 PM   #3165
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I don't know, there's quite a few goshawks around here and they don't seem interested...
Old 10-31-2015, 07:40 PM   #3166
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
I don't know, there's quite a few goshawks around here and they don't seem interested...
Around these parts we have "critter control" businesses that specialize in wildlife removal and sealing homes against further invasion. They aren't cheap though, and I suspect it's the same if they operate in your neck of the woods.

Years ago we had a problem with mockingbirds building a nest in our chimney, culminating with one flying down into the fireplace and being unable to get out. It took a section of chicken wire mortared into the top of the chimney to end that issue.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:13 PM   #3167
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Years ago we had a problem with mockingbirds building a nest in our chimney, culminating with one flying down into the fireplace and being unable to get out. It took a section of chicken wire mortared into the top of the chimney to end that issue.
Oh, we used to have a squirrel live on our balcony. She was very sweet and we almost tamed her, but then she discovered that she can bite through the screen on the balcony. One day we come home to find her in our kitchen, a jar of peanuts knocked over and half the plants dug up. We would find peanuts tucked into random places around the house for weeks afterwards. My father got a new screen that was made of some harder metal, but squirrel teeth were harder still. Eventually we had to remove her nest completely cause she was just way too good at getting into our house when we weren't looking. Also, the nest was making moisture seep into one of the walls, so it would have had to go anyways.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:17 PM   #3168
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Years ago we had a problem with mockingbirds

I always thought Harper Lee's opus was overrated and I suspect it was of no use whatsoever http://gagnamite.com/wp-content/uplo...cking_bird.jpg

Old 11-01-2015, 08:24 PM   #3169
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

G55, in my old place it was like that with brushtail possums. They'd come in through the cat flap and raid the fruit bowl.

Here, it's more varied. Bats, for example, last autumn, and it's started again now it's spring- I think they're coming after moths. I wouldn't mind except the cat kills them.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:22 PM   #3170
Nolwë_Namiel
Pile O'Bones

Nolwë_Namiel has just left Hobbiton.
The Blue Jays drive me crazy in the fall because my neighbours have filbert (hazelnut) trees along our joint fence. When the nuts ripen, the Jays crack them open by tapping them on my roof. The first year I lived in the house I couldn't figure out what the noise was. LOL
Nolwë_Namiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:27 AM   #3171
Zigűr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigűr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigűr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
This evening I shall assign my Argonath bookends that came with my Extended Edition of "The Fellowship of the Ring", which I started actually using as bookends for the first time this year and both of which have completely failed to stop books from falling over.

Should have expected no less from film tie-in junk. They're based on the film design, of course, so they represent Elendil and Isildur rather than Isildur and Anárion, which probably explains their uselessness - they lack the weight and solidity of authenticity to the original text behind them!
Old 01-27-2016, 08:04 AM   #3172
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Course schedules that mean half the time you have to eat lunch when most people have dinner, and half the time when most people eat breakfast.

When the weather can't decide if it wants to rain or snow. On the same topic, old floppy umbrellas that turn inside out at the merest hint of wind.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:04 PM   #3173
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Returning from holiday and not having the following day off work.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 04:43 AM   #3174
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
^I second that.

I assign drivers on the fast lane who know perfectly well that you'd like to overtake that truck in front of you but step on the accelerator as soon as you indicate.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:00 AM   #3175
Zigűr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigűr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigűr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
This is a bit literal, but on the side of my apartment building which my balcony faces (our other side has a nice view of a river, a park and central Sydney) there's an abandoned lot from a failed building project which is extremely Dagorlad/Morannon-like: a waste of rusted metal and great piled-up heaps of blasted stone. When it flooded after a series of recent rains it didn't do much to improve its appearance. It might be in need of being subjected to a time when "the Great Sea should enter in and wash it with oblivion."
Old 03-15-2016, 07:25 PM   #3176
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I just realized with one evening to get work done, that I forgot to do an assignment earlier on in my class. I have to do that tomorrow night, and post to the class discussion, clean my room, and pack for a long weekend in South Carolina. This is all in one night. I am so upset. I knew I was missing something, but I was blissfully unaware of the paper I haven't written yet. Thankfully it's only supposed to be two pages, which I can write quickly. But I have to say that the APA styling can be obnoxious.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:01 AM   #3177
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
I just realized with one evening to get work done, that I forgot to do an assignment earlier on in my class. I have to do that tomorrow night, and post to the class discussion, clean my room, and pack for a long weekend in South Carolina. This is all in one night. I am so upset. I knew I was missing something, but I was blissfully unaware of the paper I haven't written yet. Thankfully it's only supposed to be two pages, which I can write quickly. But I have to say that the APA styling can be obnoxious.
I know what you mean. *pats*
Old 03-22-2016, 09:01 PM   #3178
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Scumbag technology.

Computer works perfectly when all I need it for is procrastination. As soon as I actually need the computer at a certain time, it refuses to turn on.

First time that happened, it wouldn't turn on in the campus library for 15 minutes, which made me late for a meeting.

Second time, I was supposed to use it to write an exam, and it wouldn't turn on for the whole evening.

Last time, I had to use it for a presentation. It was working fine in the few days past, and even on the presentation morning, but come the critical hour - nope, turning on is too much trouble for this piece of metal rubbish.

I am fond of my computer, but it can really be a jerk.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:28 AM   #3179
Corsair_Caruso
Haunting Spirit

Corsair_Caruso has just left Hobbiton.
Dissertation writing. I have never read or written so much about Professor Tolkien in my life, and although I still love his writings and his contributions to the world, I would prefer to be done writing about him academically, for a while.
Corsair_Caruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:16 AM   #3180
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

The Horrible Thing That Screams in the Night.

Really, I don't know what it is. It sounds like a mixture of a yowling cat, a screeching bird and a whinnying horse, with sometimes a touch of demonic laughter thrown in, and sometimes a sort of whimper. I think it can fly. It's the most horrible thng I've ever heard and if I didn't know better I'd say it was a literal denizen of Mordor.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #3181
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
The Horrible Thing That Screams in the Night.

Really, I don't know what it is. It sounds like a mixture of a yowling cat, a screeching bird and a whinnying horse, with sometimes a touch of demonic laughter thrown in, and sometimes a sort of whimper. I think it can fly. It's the most horrible thng I've ever heard and if I didn't know better I'd say it was a literal denizen of Mordor.
Is Yoko Ono accounted for?
Old 05-01-2016, 02:49 AM   #3182
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Is Yoko Ono accounted for?
Oh that must be it.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:39 PM   #3183
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
To Mordor the orkish attack on a merry gathering of dancing fairies wherein 49 people were killed and many others wounded in Orlando, Florida. I feel we should let our Downer friends in the LGBTQIA community know that we're with them in their shock and grief.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:42 PM   #3184
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Telephone scammers. Had a message at my home number from the "IRS" threatening court action for supposed tax evasion. If I had time, I'd call them back with my Silmarillion in hand and when whomever picked up, just start reading to them.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:38 PM   #3185
Marwhini
Wight

Marwhini has just left Hobbiton.
Orange Orangutans wearing Ferrets or blond Stoats on their heads....

I suspect he thinks Mordor is where the Good-guys all live, though.

MB
Marwhini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:31 PM   #3186
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Course selection process. Especially when you have to pick a number of courses from a list, and three quarters of the courses conflicts with the couple mandatory courses on the timetable. Dear university scheduling office or whoever you are, are you doing this on purpose to prevent students from graduating on time?
Old 09-26-2016, 06:20 PM   #3187
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

My, I am a complainer...

Having to write self-flattering entries on applications. I am only the most awesome candidate you can ever imagine. Blargh.

Also, I discovered I didn't know how to spell "Bristol boards".
Old 11-04-2016, 03:41 PM   #3188
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

The US presidential election. This election cycle is giving me so much anxiety.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:32 PM   #3189
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

The Eye

^You're not alone.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:35 PM   #3190
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Echoes of that battle have reached the ears even of this hermit. I've just accepted that it's going to be bad for me regardless, and I'm glad I don't have to make this decision. (but my condolences to those of you living below the 49th - or west of Yukon. )
Old 11-04-2016, 05:40 PM   #3191
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

I assign all presidents, prime ministers, rulers, and regents who put the interests of self and party above the common good.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:34 AM   #3192
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
The US presidential election. This election cycle is giving me so much anxiety.
Yes, Lotho Pimple vs Ted Sandyman is rather a Hobson's choice for us hobbits.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:01 PM   #3193
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

That's funny, because to my mind Donald Trump is more equivalent to Sauron. It's really no contest.

I am breaking my normal rule about never discussing politics here: please, Americans, at all costs do not vote for this freak. You have the rest of the world bloody well terrified.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:47 AM   #3194
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
That's funny, because to my mind Donald Trump is more equivalent to Sauron. It's really no contest.

I am breaking my normal rule about never discussing politics here: please, Americans, at all costs do not vote for this freak. You have the rest of the world bloody well terrified.
Odd, I didn't think it was your rule; I thought it was a forum rule that politics weren't to be discussed here. But, hey, if we're allowed to make exceptions, because reasons, well, I've got a manifesto or two that I'd love to post.

By the way, I'd caution you and any other non-Americans against trying to tell Americans how to vote. "The Guardian" found out the hard way in '04 that such efforts have a way of backfiring.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:34 PM   #3195
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:

Only problem with that otherwise excellent advice is that the alternative is..... Hillary Clinton.

In a democracy, each party devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule — and both commonly succeed and are right. --H L Mencken

Rarely has that quip been as applicable as in this election. Can we just cancel it and have a do-over?
Old 11-07-2016, 07:28 AM   #3196
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Being betrayed by Google Docs. You work so long on formatting your equations, and adding diagrams, and then it refuses to download or copy both into normal Word! And you have to do the work from scratch. I trusted you, Google Docs!
Old 11-09-2016, 09:12 AM   #3197
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

It happened. We have a terrible president elect. I'm scared.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:42 AM   #3198
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

That is democracy for you. Democracy means you are liable to end up with Boaty McBoatface.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:57 PM   #3199
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Rumour has it the Canadian immigration services are completely flooded by US applicants.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:40 PM   #3200
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Hmmm, have you considered building a wall to keep out people seeking a better life North of the border?