The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2003, 11:38 AM   #1
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting The Slow Season: What Now?

We are entering the slow season for Tolkien fans. The last movie has been out long enough so that we are pretty much done talking about it; and the DVD isn't out yet, and the next movie is a ways off. Those who are so inclined have by now read the Hobbit and LOTR, and have asked (or re-asked) the common questions and gotten answers. So what to do on the Barrow-Downs Forum?

One possibility is to drive the Barrow-Wight crazy by coming up with more list-topics and inane chat-threads. Bad Idea.

So what else is there to do?

If you have not yet read the Silmarillion, or Tolkien's other works, now would be a good time. It is a challenge. There are lots of names, and it's easy to get lost. The solution that worked extremely well for me was to keep a pen and paper handy, and draw out the geneologies, relationships, and locations. Sketch a copy of the map, or xerox the one in the book.

Dig into the old Books threads. There are some long and involved topics that are theses in themselves. You can get a pseudo-degree in Tolkienology by studying in the Barrow-Downs Archives. Gandalf would be impressed and your practical knowledge of Middle-Earth topics would leave Saruman in the dust.

You might want to try RPGing. I was hesitant to RPG for quite a while. But last year during this time The Lonely Star was going strong, and I got tossed into the middle of it. What a challenge that was! Plot twists from other folks become fun challenges. Right now there are three RPGs that anyone can join anytime. There are three Inns, one in Gondor, one in Rohan, one in the Shire. Put on your mysterious cloak, don your magical sword, leash your pet dragon, put on your very best Mary-Sue attitude and go visit! (You KNOW I'm joking. Go as the Regular Guy Or Gal Next Door, of the M-E race of your choice. Be quirky, but be real.)

Write some stories of your own. No, really! They may turn out to be drivel or they may turn out to be masterpeices; you won't know 'til you write them. The Barrow-Wight and his editorial team may or may not publish them if they are fanfics; but you don't have to have them posted here. Just write them. The experience is worth the effort.

My point is, rather than grimly hanging on to the fun we had three or four months ago, make some new, constructive fun. The movie talk will pick up when the DVD comes out, but it'll be a while 'til then.

Who's got some more ideas? What about your other talents? Songwriting? Drawing and painting? Other suggestions?
Old 05-28-2003, 11:42 AM   #2
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

You missed out the best one- walk to Rivendell! OK, so it may be a little late, but you could always delay your deadline- you don't HAVE to finish by the ROTK release.
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 05:26 PM   #3
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

And then, if none of that appeals to you, you can maybe try to have a brief vacation from the Barrow-Downs. There is a vast real-life world out there that you can try. As we're entering summer, you can try to go to parties or the movies or barbecues. You can even pick up some light, non-Tolkien reading. I know we all (at least claim) to love Tolkien more than life itself, but sometimes you do need a break. If what you are going to say in here is not constructive and you have nowhere else to turn except to "Oh...migod. Isn't Orli da qtest?", then I suggest you get away for a while, clear your mind, and take a 12-step de-Orli-izing program. When you come back, you will be refreshed and ready to talk Tolkien.

[ May 28, 2003: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]
Old 05-28-2003, 08:09 PM   #4
Arwen Imladris
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
There is a vast real-life world out there that you can try.
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Quote:
You can even pick up some light, non-Tolkien reading.
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Heathan!
O.K. Maybe it is time for me to get a life. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Seriously, I plan to hang out here, keep up with the news and re-read all of my Tolkien books. And besides that, I still have school until the end of June. Another idea is to join a club or group. There are often many new ones in the summertime. If you like kids, volunteer with a kids program. Music, help out at a music camp. There are all kinds of opertunities out there, and besides, what could be better than teaching impressionalble kids about the joy of Tolkien? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2003, 08:15 PM   #5
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

There is some excitment for ROTK coming soon. Hopefully we will have some new spoliers (for people who like that, like yours truely), a teaser poster, and of course a spankin new trailer! (which I am surprised that it has not came out already)

What I plan to do during the slow season is hopefully do fun summer things, go on the internet all the time, explore my other interest of roller coasters, and attend Comic-Con in San Diego this July [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Where I will hopefully meet many fellow fans, and hopefully a few stars from the film *crosses fingers*

Oh, and of course work on my running
Old 05-28-2003, 08:32 PM   #6
peony_foxburr
Haunting Spirit

peony_foxburr has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peony_foxburr
Sting

Good suggestions, everyone. Having come late to the Movie Madness (believe it or not, I only saw FOTR-on video-the afternoon before the 1st midnight showing of TTT!) and the internet sites, perhaps I'm not as aware of slowness. The Walk to Rivendell has been a much needed boost towards better physical fitness - a gift from the Creator, I might say! And I may even have talked someone from work into signing up, though she's not as, er, obsessed as I am. She thought it sounded like great fun! So, a good deed has been done. I am also, if I can lay my hands on some suitable wool, going to make a Cloak, and some sort of hobbitish costume, to wear to the Gathering in Toronto in December (if I get the time off, that is). Given my past speed at accomplishing sewing projects, THAT should be a long term project, LOL. And, finally, a fan fic is forming itself on the Powerbook, little by little, which may eventually transform into *real* writing. Anything to exercise the writing muscles, right? Slow season, what slow season [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]?
"And the ship went out into the High Sea and passed on into the West, until at last on a night of rain Frodo smelled a sweet fragrance on the air and heard the sound of singing that came over the water."
-The Return of the King
peony_foxburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 08:42 PM   #7
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

EDIT: Peony, we double-posted. Tose are some nice ideas! Cloak-making is an old favorite of mine, and of Raefindel's, although neither of us love to sew.

You prove my point-- (...thanks!) If the dreams aren't easily tossed aside, then perhaps they are meant to solidify-- find out how, and why, and to what purpose. I love your example of how the Walk has grown beyond you to a friend.

Vanima wrote :
Quote:
There is a vast real-life world out there that you can try.
Yes, there definitely is. And if it bores you as is (I prefer a subtle faerie/ elvish shimmer to the mundane whenever I can get it) then it's not THAT hard to Tolkienize it enough to make it palatable. "The Walk to Rivendell" is a case in point, but other possibilities abound. I have been casting occasional glances at mountain-bike tracks where we hike and thinking, "Someday I will try that." When I do, I could name the bike Asfaloth, and when I cross a muddy bridge, I could drop a green stone in the mud. Or I could name it Shadowfax, and when I get to a field yell, "On, Shadowfax! We have come to the lands of your youth, and every stone you know! Run, greatheart!"

What else can you think of?

Paddle down a big river, and chart your course down the Anduin.

Go spelunking and chart your course through Moria.

Study Bilbo's learned art of Diplomacy.

Learn the constellations-- the English names, and elvish names for those few constellations and stars that have them.

Hit the library and study mythology.

Write down all about the most life-changing event in your life so far as if it were a quest.

Other ideas?

More great ideas to be found in this thread, by the way.

[ May 28, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 05-28-2003, 08:44 PM   #8
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Slow season for Tolkien fans, my foot! Now is when things are just starting to speed up. It's the off season, a great time to delve and burrow and search and discover the greatness. Now is our greatest time, the time to become what we wish: to reach for the sky and live up the highest standards we can imagine for ourselves. Laziness is lethargy is wasted time. Become what you are, realize what you could be.

Iarwain

P.S. Just felt like offering that piece of inspiration. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2003, 09:02 PM   #9
Ransom
Wight

Ransom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ransom
Sting

Quote:
Other ideas?
Listen to some nice, soothing metal while pondering the greater meaning of life on your porch.

Read up on psychology.

Ditto infectious diseases.

Economics.

Next year's reading list.

While you're at it, why not read up on the politics you undoutably missed while attempting to compose a suitable post for your RPs? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

And, most importantly for us broke highschoolers, go out and earn some $$$. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-28-2003, 09:52 PM   #10
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Which also goes for middle-schoolers [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Drawing and painting illustrations for Tolkien or making Tolkien inspired art in general is great fun and takes up a lot of time quickly. If that last sentence sounded a bit strange, don't mind me.

~Menelien
Old 05-29-2003, 08:38 AM   #11
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Quote:
One possibility is to drive the Barrow-Wight crazy by coming up with more list-topics and inane chat-threads. Bad Idea.
Hey, you know, its something to pass the time...

Well, ehm, the RPG section is good all through the year...
Old 05-29-2003, 09:06 AM   #12
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Spend your summer trying to outwit Beren and Saucepan Man in the Quiz Room.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:06 AM   #13
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I agree with Iarwain. I'll get enough 'real-life' this summer, as I will be incredibly busy. I will treasure any time that I have to escape into the world of Tolkien. Sadly, since I will be so busy this summer, I probably won't be on the Downs too much till school starts again. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Oh well. During this 'slow season' I'll be burrowing into a good Tolkien, finding out more about who I am, and hopefully becoming the best me that I can be. Have a great slow season! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Peace
Old 05-29-2003, 10:03 AM   #14
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

I am going to go crazy this summer. I am going to a family camp I adore for three weeks in July- the problem is, computer works only in the lodge and in the afternoon, and I'm not sure about the internet... I'll be back only about once or twice a week. *sobs* And then in august I'm going to the Cape for 4 weeks... the internet connection works less than half the time, and not all too fast, either, so I might be on every 4 days... *sobs grow slowly louder*
I am with all of you busy summered people... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

~Menelien
Old 05-29-2003, 11:43 AM   #15
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

G of O - Only a teen could gripe about four weeks at the Cape. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Enjoy those vacations while you're still taking them on the family's dime.

(Birdie checks billfold). Nope, four weeks at the Cape is out again this year. However; I did buy a nice garden fountain and an extremely comfy porch swing...
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 11:49 AM   #16
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

Don't get me wrong, I love the Cape and wouldn't miss it for anything... it's just that I wish the internet worked normally [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I didn't know there were any BDers (except kittie peony and myself) living close enough to go to the Cape! A wonderful way to spend the summer would be meeting another BDer, but I'm afraid the only one I'll be seeing is kitte... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] (No offence Maya, you know I like you [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img].)

~Menelien

Edit: Bah, the spelling demon strikes again!

[ May 29, 2003: Message edited by: GaladrieloftheOlden ]
Old 05-29-2003, 12:16 PM   #17
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

Well, I'm not THAT far south of your MA border. Maybe we could get a small crowd together for an afternoon, and do something basically real-world with a bit of added Tolkien flair.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:27 PM   #18
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

For some reason, Helen, I thought you were off somewhere in the Midwest... but there aren’t that many people here. Maybe this should move onto the "I’ve Met Another BDer!" thread, though it would certainly make for an exciting Tolkien summer… [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] And I was thinking I couldn't meet anybody from here for years, since I lost my chnce in California.

~Menelien
Old 05-29-2003, 04:32 PM   #19
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Hmmm...just be careful about the whole "meeting" thing. I know most of us probably aren't axe murderers, but you never know. And when did this turn into the Chat thread? Isn't that one of the things that annoys Mr. Barrow-Wight?

I suggest maybe taking up a new and interesting hobby or taking a class over the summer. Learn a new language or a new skill. It will take you far in life. It's always nice to have an extra talent. Even if it's Tolkien-related, such as learning to sew a cloak or starting to learn one of Tolkien's languages, it would make for a nice, new activity for when the Summer Slow-down kicks in.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:14 PM   #20
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Quote:
When I do, I could name the bike Asfaloth, and when I cross a muddy bridge, I could drop a green stone in the mud.
Helen, this makes me laugh. When I was about 10 my bike was named Windfola and when I rode it I was "Dernhelm". I had long blond hair (then, not now) and I'd put it up under a hat so I could let it free when I fought the WitchKing (usually played by my dog, but occasionally my brother, when he was feeling like a good sport [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img])

Quote:
HAHA! This is how I'll be spending my summer too, Lindolirian. Although I'd add you to the list of rough people to outwit [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img].

And there's always that fanfic to write, those RPGs to run, and those HoME books to read. Not to mention learning to bake Lembas and Walking to Rivendell.

Ah, summer [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img].

Sophia

[ May 30, 2003: Message edited by: Sophia the Thunder Mistress ]
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 11:08 AM   #21
Trippo The Hippo
Wight

Location: somewhere with hippos that say jolly o and wear spectacles
Trippo The Hippo has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I suppose we could take time to make clevery planed out posts in the books forum.

But thats just CRAZY! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2003, 04:14 PM   #22
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Quote:
clevery planed
I hope that was intentional to prove a point? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2003, 11:14 AM   #23
Trippo The Hippo
Wight

Location: somewhere with hippos that say jolly o and wear spectacles
Trippo The Hippo has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Quote:
I hope that was intentional to prove a point?
But of course!
Old 06-01-2003, 12:10 PM   #24
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

Quote:
And I promise, I'll make it last all summer long.

Actually, this summer will be filled with homework, the beach, and spending time with my girlfriend. (There's an idea for you all, spend time with your significant other before they start forming the "Barrow-Widow" club).
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 12:44 PM   #25
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Slow season? uh, I´ll be totally commited with running the Shire Chicks RPG (luckily, we´re going to the baltic sea, and it ALWAYS rains there.) [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Another GOOD idea: Fan Fictions. I had this fun idea about making a parody on all those Leggy FFs, with Leggy trying to flirt with Arwen (pre-Aragorn), who´s all like "Umm, no, you...reject!" And then I have to continue all my others....

And something definatly fun: take your friends and a videocamera and shoot your own version of LotR. (We may be doing this!) Either plain fun, with Arwen pushing Aragorn in the creek at the end of the Bridge Scene, or quite serious. Dude, will WE have fun.

Or, pester your local librarian about not having HoMe, or at least Leaf by Niggle. "But...but..what do you mean, 'have you read the Silmarillion'??"

Take Audiobooks (preferably Tolkien), a blanket, a discman and a sun-kissed spot in the park. Tan meets Tolkien!

Die your hair blonde or black and see if you´d make a good Eowyn or Arwen.

Make a Tolkien-survey. Go to your local park or beach, jump up to people going "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" and see what happens.

Dream of meeting Viggo/Orli/Elijah/Whatever.

Get a S/O who loves Tolkien as much as you do! It´s flirt season, afterall... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2003, 12:47 PM   #26
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yippie! My friend and I are going to L.A. to visit our buddy for four days. (I knew those two kids of her's would drive her to it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] )

Four beautiful days in Santa Monica, basking on the veranda, watching the ocean, and contemplating the possiblity of the perfect Elven Mai Tai. No wonder Frodo went to sea to find healing.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 05:58 PM   #27
akhtene
Shade of Carn Dûm

akhtene has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
we´re going to the baltic sea, and it ALWAYS rains there
You are so absolutely right, and I LIVE here. (Where exactly are you going?)

There is a most hobbitish occupation, which my Mum believes I'm well suited for - that is gardening . If I can't get away - then farewell my nails and favourite sneakers, and welcome healthy diet, fresh air and computer-less nights in the country
[img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
akhtene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 08:40 PM   #28
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I was just thinking that if we have a 'slow season' just because we are in the lull between movies or we have all read the 'elementary' Tolkien works, what would we do if there were no movies or such to talk about? No newbies (of whom I am one) to correct, no easy answers. I believe we should go back and start with loving Tolkien for Tolkien, read his 'common' works and find the many layers and hidden depths, find and devour the more rarely read books, just indulge ourselves in the way we did before movies, before fora. I think that this foundation of enjoying Tolkien will more than make up for any 'slow season' and allow us to be fans with more depth, with the abilities to rise to new heights afforded us by this wonderful author. Just take the time to soak in what you're reading, don't race to read things just because you need answers. Kudos to anyone who has done this already! Anyways, that's just my opinion. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Feel free to shoot me at any time. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Peace

[ June 01, 2003: Message edited by: Yavanna228 ]
Old 06-02-2003, 03:12 AM   #29
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

I was originally planning on scanning the Me map on the movie 1 soundtrack to turn in to a cross-stiching pattern...never got to do it yet, but i'm looking forward to more time.

Also, I'm planning an LotR journal. I don't have much ideas but I'll start with trying to track all of my posts at BD *phew*
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 11:16 AM   #30
Manardariel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manardariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
You are so absolutely right, and I LIVE here. (Where exactly are you going?)
German Baltic. Usedom, a pathetic little island... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Aaaaaanyways, some more fun ideas:
Make your own chainmail. I have no idea HOW this works, but a guy at my school is doing it... and it seemes quite fun.

Daydream. What would have happened if Arwen had kicked Leggy out of the fellowship? What if some Downer was in my class here? (yea, right. like anyone is going to move to Berlin, and Suprise, Suprise, they go to JFKS and of course, by PURE chance they´re in ninth grade... [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img] )
Old 06-02-2003, 05:36 PM   #31
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

Quote:
Make your own chainmail. I have no idea HOW this works, but a guy at my school is doing it... and it seemes quite fun.
It is fun, and suprisingly not that expensive. You can find directions online in a variety of places as well.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 02:57 PM   #32
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Good idea, Yavanna. I'll most likely be doing that, along with reading UT for the first time ( [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] ). I'm just going to have to agree with many of the other ideas here. Personally, I'll be spending my time RPGing (c'mon people, it's fun!), working on fanfics and artwork, reading LotR again (as well as The Hobbit, most likely), and cleaning my room. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Gr... that might take all summer in and of itself....
Old 06-06-2003, 02:44 AM   #33
Neferchoirwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Neferchoirwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Neferchoirwen
Sting

Quote:
What would have happened if Arwen had kicked Leggy out of the fellowship?
Actually, I remember seeing in the extended dvd Lyv Tyler screaming at Orlando Bloom. Not that it's Arwen giving a threat to Leggy, but hey...I was connecting stuff in my head.
Neferchoirwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 01:51 PM   #34
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

If you are like me, you can start to read something that you have just been meaning to read, but couldn't. Ever since X-Men 2 came out, I've made up my mind to actually read the comics, so that I can whine and complain about the X-Men movies in the same way we whine and complain about the Lord of the Rings movies. So, I'll use this summer to start reading some of the comics. You can do something similar!
Old 06-08-2003, 05:23 AM   #35
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Sting

This may sound perfectly ridiculous-- but I've started back at A Long Expected Party, and am commencing a chapter-by-chapter study of "The Road to Rivendell"......
Old 06-08-2003, 01:48 PM   #36
vanwalossien
Shade of Carn Dûm

vanwalossien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The summer is going to be a slow Barrow-Season for me, for some reason my mum seems to think 'summer' equals 'outside'... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] But I just bought HoME1 and intend to come back from summer vacation in Ireland ready to challenge the quiz-masters... Highly unlikely, but who cares. I could try, right? Does it rain as much in Ireland as I fear? In that case I might have plenty of time for reading.

If any of you need a new hobby that occupies lots of time, try beading. Make bracelets, necklaces, even rings. I can guarantee it'll take hours, and if you have my patience you'll end up running halfway to Rivendell before you've worked off the frustration of never getting the pattern on the ring quite right, and therefore having to re-do the whole thing... [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Oh, and there's always the mad idea of sitting by a lake in the sunset with Silmarillion and a mini-disc full of Nightwish. *puts in new batteries in the mini-disc player and runs outside* Good summer everyone! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

EDIT: It started to rain, of course. Summer in Norway... Well, I can't really think of a better hobby than reading, and what a splendid indoor activity it is in this cold and wet country... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Oh, well, weather's better today, so I can go back to my original plan.

[ June 10, 2003: Message edited by: vanwalossien ]
Old 01-31-2005, 03:16 AM   #37
ohtatyaro
Wight

ohtatyaro has just left Hobbiton.
I'm not sure if it is right place to ask for it, but it seems somehow fitting. Slow season, fast season - surely it means how much new members come here, right?

Here it comes, now... err... if it's not too much of a bother, can statistics be got? I mean, for the whole period of the board's existence? It would be interesting

thank you
Old 02-14-2005, 12:00 PM   #38
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

Its kind of nice, the slowing. The m00bz will move on to Narnia, and the Tolkien lovers will remain!
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 01:23 PM   #39
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
White Tree

Another interesting idea is to try and compile a greater Silmarillion that the one that CT did. You might like playing the rôle of CT and this way you can value more the work that he did in order for us to have a Published Silmarillion.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:43 PM   #40
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Write Middle-earth themed music if you know how. And if you don't, just make up a melody for some of the poems, or for some that you've written on your own. Sing it at length and irritate those around you. I just wrote some lyrics for a song I shall call "Maglor's Lament"... because we all know that Maglor was a rock god.

I like the cross-stitch and chainmail ideas... that could be a great way to spend the ten-hour car rides this spring when I go on college visits.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote