The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2005, 03:07 PM   #1
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Katrina

I just thought we could start a thread where Downers from the Southern US could check in and let us know that they are OK.

So...everyone all right?

(Realising of course that most people in the South right now:

a) don't have electricity, and so

b) don't have internet access and even if they did,

c) have more important worries

but I thought I would give it a try anyway.)
Old 08-31-2005, 03:47 PM   #2
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Completely agree Fordim. Very good idea and very thoughtful of you. My hopes and prayers go out to all those down there.
Glirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:01 PM   #3
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
My grand-parents go to Florida every year so they are just hoping it didn't get to close to there house. I'm praying for everyone who was affected by it.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:02 PM   #4
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

I know Lithui07 (she's not very active on here, but still) lives down in Florida, but the hurricane missed her completely. I hope other southerns on the Downs didn't suffer through Katrina. My prayers go out to all of them.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:11 PM   #5
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

Well, it's been pointed out on another thread that The Perky Ent is from New Orleans. I really hope he's alright.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:47 PM   #6
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I know some of our chat wights are southerners *Fea habitually curses she who calls me "Yankee"* and is not our own Mithadan a Floridian? My thoughts and the prayers of myself and my friends go out to all affected.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:35 AM   #7
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Well, The Perky Ent just posted a couple of hours ago, so I think we can assume that he's alive, safe, and somewhere with internet access. (In other words, out of New Orleans.)
Old 09-02-2005, 06:09 PM   #8
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

I have relatives from Mississippi but thankfully they got out before it came. But I know there were many unfortunate who didn't, and it's going to take all our help that we can give. It's touching to see many people still care.

I may have to go down there, I should be finding out soon. My company BJ Alan is donating trucks to load up with relief items, I've been helping load up past couple days, don't know what he intends from here.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:29 PM   #9
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Question

Yay! something I have a reason to post on! I'm from New Orleans and i'm find I just saw a satelite picture of my house two days ago, and apart from my room (of course ) it appears fine. My grand parents were missing for several days, but we just got a call today saying they're still at my house. my uncle is trying ot get them out, but the coast guard won't let them But i'm fine.
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 04:31 PM   #10
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glad to see your okay Perky. My prayers to your grandparents.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:37 PM   #11
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Yes, welcome back and I'm glad to see that you're OK PE. I hope that you and yours will be back to something approaching normal very soon...

And perhaps when you are up to it, you could tell us what it was like suffering through such an event. I hope that this does not sound trite, but I keep thinking about the Akallabeth and that great wave from the west which overwhelms Numenor.

Who knows? Perhaps the Ent has escaped upon the very wings of the storm to found a new kingdom of his own!!
Old 09-04-2005, 11:18 PM   #12
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Katrina's Unfortunate Visit

Katrina didn't get near us as we thought it would, and being inland in Tennessee, we escaped much of her fury. However, for a couple of days, the hurricane center forecast had it plopping right down on top of us, before the track went westward. It turned out to have less of an effect on us than Ivan did last year (i.e. caused several roof leaks).

On a strangely serendipitous note, my husband the self-appointed Witch King, is teaching high school honors English and wanted to open the mind of students to the mysteries of his profession, so he chose, quite by random chance and picking of his mind, Psalm 46, with its cryptic, much debated inclusion of the words "Shake" and "spear" , to some an indication that Shakespeare wrote some passages of the KJV Bible.
Quote:
Psalm 46
1God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

2Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;

3Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.

4There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High.

5God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early.

6The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted.

7The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.

8Come, behold the works of the LORD, what desolations he hath made in the earth.

9He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire.

10Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

11The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.
Only after his lesson did he realize how its lines echoed through the City of New Orleans . And who says the Bible isn't applicable to our modern life?

Cheers, and all my best wishes for everyone affected,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”

Last edited by Lyta_Underhill; 09-04-2005 at 11:19 PM. Reason: clarification of wording
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:44 PM   #13
Lolidir
Wight

Lolidir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Lolidir
A family from church had a bunch of family come up from New Orleans. It was good to see they got out on time. And the last person they were looking for just called the other day, so they are all acounted for. Good news. I hope everyone else out there gets their good news too. My prayers to everyone. May God bless you and keep you safe.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:01 AM   #14
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
Yes, welcome back and I'm glad to see that you're OK PE. I hope that you and yours will be back to something approaching normal very soon...

And perhaps when you are up to it, you could tell us what it was like suffering through such an event. I hope that this does not sound trite, but I keep thinking about the Akallabeth and that great wave from the west which overwhelms Numenor.

Who knows? Perhaps the Ent has escaped upon the very wings of the storm to found a new kingdom of his own!!

No, I just bought the Arkenstone, realized it was a simaril, and turned into Balrog form! . From there, I used the powers of the 'Balrog Wing debate' to propell myself to Elvenhome! They were out of bagles, so I went back, and discovered my own lands. But they're a secret from all those not worthy. Naturally, I can't find it!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 09-05-2005, 05:49 PM   #15
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
tell us Master Ent, where are you now?
Old 09-06-2005, 09:55 PM   #16
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The biggest city (if you're not counting NYC) i've ever seen. Houston!Eating at The Hobbit Hole Cafe

Old 09-07-2005, 06:08 PM   #17
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Great thread. North Carolina, where I am, was obviously spared. A friend of mine's family was trapped in New Orleans, however. Thank God they survived. So many others didn't.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:39 AM   #18
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I am both saddened and touched by what I have seen in Houston over the past week. I live two minutes from the Astrodome complex, which now houses thousands and thousands of refugees. In addition to those who came from the Superdome in the buses, many other families have fled here: and are living throughout the city: some put the number as high as 100,000.

Most people are trying to help by taking in families who need shelter, collecting needed supplies, or volunteering in other ways. I've spent a few days sorting food and clothing, and am supposed to be starting tomorrow with one of the New Orleans charities that has set up shop in our city, helping them with phone calls and data entry on "lost" persons. My childrens' schools--small private ones in our neighborhood--have thrown open their doors and taken in dozens of new students. Some of these youngsters seem alright but others appear to be "shell shocked". I have no other words to describe the sadness that I see in the eyes of some of these newcomers. Saddest to me was an elderly lady who was afraid to leave her cot in the Dome to go to the bathroom. Not only was she afraid that her few belongings might be stolen, but that she would never find her spot again. There were thousands of cots with identical grey blankets that all looked the same to her tired eyes.

It does make me realize how privileged a life I've led. Tragedies of this dimension are supposed to happen "elsewhere", not here in a country that likes to think of itself as the richest and most powerful on the earth. It does give me a new appreciation for one theme that underlies much of Tolkien's work -- how little control we really have over our lives and the extent to which we inevitably fall victim to sad and tragic events that come barrelling down upon us out of nowhere. Tolkien talks about fighting the long defeat. This week, speaking with people who have lost everything, I have some sense of what those words mean.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 09-08-2005 at 01:44 AM.
Child of the 7th Age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 07:24 AM   #19
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'm fine. Katrina didn't hit us too hard, unlike the unfortunates in the Gulf Coast.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:21 AM   #20
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Good to know that you, Mithadan, are also safe. Hope everyone else is as well.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 01:17 PM   #21
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Yes Mithadan, it is nice to know that you are safe and sound.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:46 PM   #22
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

White-Hand Maybe I'm just not lucky!

This is my luck: Katrina. No home. Most of my stuff is probably ruined, including my beloved Compy (R.I.P) That in itself is a tragedy. I just moved into what I thought would be my apartment for the next three months yesterday. But, much to my shagrin, Rita comes along. So now, I'm forced to evacuate from my evacuation! There's panic at the grochery, as all the water is gone and people are going for canned food like a Tiger on a Llama (Me cother de cotheri deri Gadi) . So, I'm packing up for Dallas, where I will hopefully stay for three days. Just when I was starting to adjust. Well, that's my luck! Just wanted to pop in so if I, for some reason, go missing for a long period of time and anyone wonders where I am, I'll be in Dallas, evacuating from an evacuation!

PS: If there's anyone here from houston (yes I know that everyone from everywhere is helping) I want to give a particular thanks for your generous hospitality. Now let's see if Dallas is the same way...

Last edited by The Perky Ent; 09-20-2005 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Thanking Houston!
Old 09-20-2005, 07:55 PM   #23
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

I wish all the luck to you Perky and I'm sorry you were ripped from your home so quickly. Good luck.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:17 PM   #24
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesse has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perky Ent
PS: If there's anyone here from houston (yes I know that everyone from everywhere is helping) I want to give a particular thanks for your generous hospitality. Now let's see if Dallas is the same way...
*hugs*
We wanted to help out in anyway possible, and being as close to New Orleans as we are, was definately a blessing. However, I'm sorry you're being forced to leave again, and had I known that you were in this situation (and if I had my own apartment/house) I'd offer you a place to stay... Though I'm pretty sure you don't want to wait out Rita like I'm planning on doing.

I hope Dallas is finds you well, Perky. (Though I must warn you: most Texans do not consider Dallas a part of Texas, but a funny little branch of New York.)
Old 09-20-2005, 11:35 PM   #25
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Storm #2: Rita.....

Quote:
I hope that this does not sound trite, but I keep thinking about the Akallabeth and that great wave from the west which overwhelms Numenor.
No, Fordim, it doesn't sound trite but there's more than one way to look at the situation. As I wait and wonder what is going to happen to Houston over the next few days, I am hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. I am also mindful of how Tolkien wove the symbolism of water throughout his tale in so many different ways. There's the relentless destruction of a wall of water. There's also the lure and mystery of the Sea and the goodness that flows from every inlet Ulmo used to keep an eye on Arda. Remember when Frodo and Sam trudged through Mordor and found a small stream to assuage their physical and emotional thirst, a hint of hope in a truly dismal place? Without some water we cannot live; too much water and we are running for cover. So I sit here with my "precious" hoard of bottled water hoping that we won't be chased away by too much of a good thing.

I am also hoping our Texas coast will fare better than Numenor did. If I had to choose, I think I would prefer the sinking of Beleriand, which apparently occurred at a much slower pace so that people actually managed to get out. We are keeping an eye on things and will take off to be with friends living further inland if conditions look very bad. Wind and water are so capricious. The storm center could die down or head towards some less habitated part of the coast, but you never know.

Perky Ent - Yes, I also love the Hobbit Hole and have gone there for many years. Sorry the weather chased you away for a second time. There are so many people from New Orleans here now, living in apartments and houses. I really feel for them, possibly having to relive some variant of Katrina a second time. For Valessa and all those other Downers who are perched near the Texas Gulf Coast (some of you much nearer than I am), I hope you fare well.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 09-21-2005 at 12:53 AM.
Child of the 7th Age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 12:32 AM   #26
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Akallabeth indeed! I wondered for a while if the hurricane (Katrina. Ugh, I have to specify which one ) was a way of washing out the evil and corruption. New Orleans doesn't pride itself on lawfulness. But, when you think about it, considering it an Akallabeth isn't a very good way to live in my opinion. Yes, the Hobbit Hole is quite a good restaurant. You always have inciteful things to say, Child. And as for the Galveston destruction thing, I think no sinking is better than slow sinking
Old 09-21-2005, 07:34 AM   #27
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Boots <-- Get out your waders!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perky Ent
And as for the Galveston destruction thing, I think no sinking is better than slow sinking
Yep! But it didn't need to actually sink in 1900.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valesse
I hope Dallas is finds you well, Perky. (Though I must warn you: most Texans do not consider Dallas a part of Texas, but a funny little branch of New York.)
Just add Austin to that statement and you've nailed it. Seriously, though, if Dallas leaves you cold, pop on over to Fort Worth. This old Cowtown is being very hospitable at the moment. I'm so sorry this had to happen to you and everyone else who's been displaced once already. Valesse, Child, and all others on the coat, please take reasonable care of yourselves. Don't do anything too stupid. The husband of a lady at work wanted to drive down to see the waves!

~ Nuranar, who is already mourning the green pecans that will be blown off this weekend, despite weeks of ceaseless defense against squirrels
Old 09-23-2005, 01:20 AM   #28
Valesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Valesse has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuranar
Just add Austin to that statement and you've nailed it.
Now how can you go about saying that? UT-Austin offers Tolkien Linguistics as a foreign language credit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuranar
Valesse, Child, and all others on the coat, please take reasonable care of yourselves. Don't do anything too stupid...
I'll try not to. Its kind of hard, anyway, with the roads filled to capacity. I just hope Perky got out before the highways got too bad... And from what I've seen of her Child -can't- do anything stupid.

To lighten the situation Houstonians are passing emailing this fake evacuation notice around..thought it might give a giggle to a few of y'all in a time like this. (Now there are ethnic referances, but they don't mean a thing.)....and most of y'all won't understand the road directions... But for those who do..! : \

(I'm just trying to be sweet )

Today, City officials just announced the Houston Hurricane Evacuation Plan as follows:
Hispanics use I-10 West to San Antonio
Cajuns use I-10 East to Lafayette
Rednecks use 59 North to East Texas
Republicans fly Continental to Washington DC
Yankees and Democrats use 45 South to Galveston
Longhorns use 290 West to Austin
Aggies use 610 Loop....either direction
(They left off I-45 to Dallas for one simple reason..Being in a Hurricane is preferable to going to Dallas)