The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-06-2003, 03:50 PM   #41
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

There's a town near by me called RiverDale.... pretty darn close?

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2003, 05:04 PM   #42
Naz
Shade of Carn Dûm

Naz has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
And one time in my chemistry test I wrote 'Aragorn' insted of 'Argon'
I kept seeing "Boron" as "Beren." I rewrote it as Beren on my Element Table^ ^;;
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 12:15 AM   #43
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
*sings* Stop! In the naaaame of love!
I do that too! I use LotR wallpaper so much, I never have anything else anymore [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]. Back on topic: There's this apple orchard out in the country and it looks exactly like the trees outside of Isengard in FotR. Also, there is a house by where I used to live that is a hobbit hole! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I moved away from there before I was obsessed with Lotr, but when I was little I called it the hill house because it has grass growing on the roof. I drove by there one time after my family moved and I became obsessed, and I realized it was a hobbit hole! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I'll attempt to take and post a picture, although there are no guarantees about whether it will ever happen!
Old 10-17-2003, 12:12 PM   #44
Vladivos the Rider
Animated Skeleton

Vladivos the Rider has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've done that with the periodic table, too. Once I had to do an essay about 'Great Expectations' (Dickens) and had to include a reference to the pub 'The Jolly Bargeman.' When I got it back I realised that I'd written 'Prancing Pony' all the way through [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
I know in the English Peak District there's a town caller Rivendale (close enough... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) And the 'Hobbit Cafe'.
Old 12-28-2003, 04:21 PM   #45
Thulorongil
Haunting Spirit

Thulorongil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Thulorongil
Shield

I just remembered that my grandpa used to work on a farm in Underhill, Vermont. There's also some Tolkienish-named town in Quebec, Canada, near where my friend lives, but I'll have to rack my brain to remember it...
Old 01-01-2004, 04:43 PM   #46
Miriel Undomiel
Wight

Miriel Undomiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Miriel Undomiel
Silmaril

one of the judges in World Idol did say that Kurt Nilsen (who lives 25 minutes drive away from me) looked like a hobbit. Well hobbits are populare, and the world told that bastard that you don't have to look like a supermodel to make it in this beauty-fixed world!
Old 01-02-2004, 06:17 AM   #47
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

There is a bar somewhere in our country called The Hobbit House. My mum said it has been around for quite a long time. I presume it was built during the 60's.

Oh, I have a teddy bear named Aragorn. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 02:31 PM   #48
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dûm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Sting

I had an instructor called Gollum. YOu see in College we are alowed to call our instructors by their first names.

And then tere are the Brandywine brand of canned muschrooms. I was all siked when I found those years ago.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:16 PM   #49
Cathelm
Animated Skeleton

Cathelm has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cathelm
Shield

There's this jewelry store called 'All that Glitters' by my house, and I have to blink twice every time I go past it.
My Aunt used to live off of Pippin Street. Sadly, she moved away before I 'discovered' Lord of the Rings.
Anyone here read the Wheel of Time, by Robert Jordon? Soooo many parallels! They even have a Bela the pony! And Lan, and the myrdraal, and the Trollocs... don't even get me started... excellent books though, and they break off from Tolkien after the first book or so.
And there's this pile of rocks by my bus stop that, when the light's right, strangely resembles that one place where the Fellowship hides from the spy-birds... you know what I'm talking about. I've been wanting to take me friends up there to do a remake of that scene.
Cathelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 07:58 PM   #50
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
one of the judges in World Idol did say that Kurt Nilsen (who lives 25 minutes drive away from me) looked like a hobbit. Well hobbits are populare, and the world told that bastard that you don't have to look like a supermodel to make it in this beauty-fixed world!
That would be Dicko, our Aussie Judge. That was a clasic call though wasnt it. We referred to that Idol dude as "Hobbit Man".

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 03:04 PM   #51
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

You know, there is a Brandywine River and Battlefield in the Pennsylvania region in the US. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 04:37 PM   #52
Maikadurwen
Wight

Maikadurwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maikadurwen Send a message via MSN to Maikadurwen Send a message via Yahoo to Maikadurwen
Sting

there is a rivendell wrecking service where i live [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2004, 05:17 PM   #53
Dancing_Hobbit
Haunting Spirit

Location: A fairyland of mists and shadows deep in the emerald wood.
Dancing_Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was driving to Woking and saw signs for "Bagshot", "Aragorn Place", and "Storr Road". Needless to say, I was somewhat excited! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Later on I was looking in a dictionary, saw the word "sting" out of the corner of my eye, and wondered why it wasn't capitalised.
[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 7:39 PM January 04, 2004: Message edited by: Dancing_Hobbit ]
Old 01-05-2004, 05:49 PM   #54
Nimrothiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Nimrothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I drive past a "Ranger Street" on my way to and from work. I don't always look that closely at my computer, so the indicator lights that encircle the on/off buttons on the modem and the computer sometimes look like the "One Ring." There's two "Greenwoods" in my phonebook (no Greenleaf, how disappointing). I swear that this one guy in the movie theatre-at Rotk-looked exactly like Faramir with long
hair. I happened to get a red dragon porcelain statue for Christmas this year, and it looked exactly the way Smaug should.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:59 AM   #55
Salix
Shade of Carn Dûm

Salix has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I've already posted this somewhere, but it's worth posting again.
On my bus route, we used to pass a truck with Walkabout Ent writen on the side. On the ent theme, in December a bar near my house had a sign in front which read 'Live Ent'. I cracked a few puns about how they fit the ent in the building, but it took a while for my dad to figure it out. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Oh and refering to last page, the name Riven comes from the fact that the definition of Riven is to rend or tear apart, and the world of Riven is getting torn apart, so the title is obvious. I only wish that it came from Rivendell.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:49 PM   #56
Corwyn Celesil
Haunting Spirit

Corwyn Celesil has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

There is a splendid movie with a very young Robert Redford in it called "The Sting," and one of the main characters is named Henry Gondor. Since I saw it before ever reading LoTR, I always think of him when I think of Tolkien's Gondor.
Then came there from the south of the city the people of the Fountain, and Ecthelion was their lord, and silver and diamonds were their delight; and swords very long and bright and pale did they wield . . .
Corwyn Celesil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 03:29 AM   #57
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

My younger boy, who is also a LotR fan is learning English and French at school and to memorize the spelling, he uses funny connections. Lately he sees "Ents" everywhere, as in "parENTS" (which in German would mean "a couple of ents" [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ) or "ENTrance" "ENTraînemENT" and so on . Of course, there are lot of "ents" in German as well:e.g. ENT-schuldigung (excuse)! So at least we have something to smile, while doing homework [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] !
Old 01-09-2004, 05:46 AM   #58
yavanna II

yavanna II has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

my stuffed toy is named feanor. NO JOKE, there's a restaurant somewhere in Manila called THE HOBBIT HOUSE, and their waiters and all staff there are hobbit-sized! everytime i see my stupid biology teacher i begin to think of Bert, William and Tom. my wallet has a picture of galadriel on it, just beside my beloved picture of the Lady of Fatima. Everytime I see the Lady of Fatima pics, I'm strongly reminded of Galadriel, though the Fatima has dark hair
yavanna II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 07:57 AM   #59
Eothain Elfwine
Animated Skeleton

Eothain Elfwine has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I met a man yesterday whose last name was Ison. I thought it was Isen, and of course I thought immediately of Isengard and the Fords of Isen.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:25 PM   #60
Corwyn Celesil
Haunting Spirit

Corwyn Celesil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

There is a town in Italy called Turin, of the Shroud of Turin fame.
Then came there from the south of the city the people of the Fountain, and Ecthelion was their lord, and silver and diamonds were their delight; and swords very long and bright and pale did they wield . . .
Corwyn Celesil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 11:38 AM   #61
Eothain Elfwine
Animated Skeleton

Eothain Elfwine has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I worked at a camp with a lake in North Dakota this last summer, and certain LotR-loving friends and I would look across the lake to a place we called the Shire because it seemed very like a place in the Shire. It was gentle hills that came right to the water's edge covered in leafy, gnarled trees; something you would see in England or the Shire.
I have four little metal knights I have given LotR names: Hama for one that looks quite Anglo Saxon (named for the Hama of old, not for Theoden's guard), Beregond for the one in full armour with round shield, Ecthelion (Steward of Gondor, Denethor's father) for the one with a fleur-de-lis on his breastplate that could be the White Tree, and Eldarion (Elessar's son) for the one with a huge sword that looks like it should be lying in stone on a tomb.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:24 PM   #62
Rilwen Gamgee

Rilwen Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

All of you are so lucky, Living by streets and shops named after LotR things! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] However, I found a pretty spherical stone in my house that's heavy and looks an awful lot like a Palantir... except it doesn't show anything. Ah, well. Also, when I happened to be looking through the phone book, there was someone with the last name of Rohan! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Rilwen Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote