The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-15-2003, 07:27 PM   #1
Galenlasdur
Pile O'Bones

Galenlasdur has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Galenlasdur
Question Elven Haters?

I don't really know if this would go on the movie board...but it is now.<BR>Have you noticed that after the movies came out everyone is making cracks about Legolas being gay and being so vain? Why is this? I find no evidence of this being so. I haven't read all the books yet(*ashamed*) but I have found no bi like actions, or any vainty, let alone the movies...could someone clue me in?
Old 04-15-2003, 07:34 PM   #2
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think it just ...happened. The jokes get rather old, don't they?

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 07:36 PM   #3
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Why should calling Legolas gay be an indication people hate him?<P>As for bi-actions, there's always Sam and Frodo. <P>Seriously though, I think it's just backlash from all the attention Orlando Bloom gets. It certainly doesn't have anything to do with the books.<P>H.C.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:44 PM   #4
Galenlasdur
Pile O'Bones

Tolkien

*blank stare* I wasn't saying people hate him, I was just saying some people say he's gay (I have nothing against bisexuals..one of my friends happens to be one, if thats what your getting at), and yes, Shy Hobbit, the cracks do get old. I happen to be one of those Legolas/Orlando lovers (not the *girly squeal*..OMG he's SOOO HOT!!! type people, I'm more..erm..modest) so it really er....burns my toast.
Old 04-15-2003, 08:03 PM   #5
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yay! I can come on! I agree; there are a lot of Aragorn-Legolas action stories going about as well as Sam and Frodo stories. I am one of the Legolas gay-joke-crackers. I told my friend that he was gay. Heh heh.... shes one of the girly squeal HES SOOOOO HOT orly lovers
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:50 PM   #6
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I wasn't saying people hate him, I was just saying some people say he's gay <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Sorry, just being deliberately obtuse. It happens some times.<P>H.C.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:07 PM   #7
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

People think that Legolas is gay because he's so pretty, and you have to admit, his hair <I>is</I> perfect most of the time. There's also that whole comradeship theme going on, and people of this age mis-interpret that as being gay.
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 04:50 PM   #8
Galenlasdur
Pile O'Bones

Tolkien

Me brain...it chewed through it's leash!!*frowns,looking over the wrong end of the gnawed through leash*Sorry, I'm just (now) looking at my title. I guess I'm just assuming the cracks are coming from hate.*erf*Silly me. Anyway, ALL elves have perfect hair, they can afford to spend hours tending to their flawless hair, as they live forever. ^_^ Horse-Maidien of The Shire, don't give your friend too hard of a time,okay? Not many people can resist Orlando's pretty eyes...*melts,looking over a photo, but quickly mops herself up* Okay, you can give her a hard time.. I'm not too fond of people that seem to get all giggly and....(searching for the right word)..blonde(no offence to anyone,of course) when they see or talk about Orlando. They give normal people(yes, I'm sticking to the story that I'm normal...*shifty eyes*) a bad rep.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:28 PM   #9
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Sting

I haven't heard many gay jokes about Legolas, plenty about other characters though. It's more the vanity stuff that gets old. The Herbal Essence stuff was slighty amusing the first time, but now it's just a groaner. <BR>Legolas and his shampoo<BR>Legolas and the lost conditioner<BR>Legolas and the stolen hairbrush<P>etc... <P>To be honest, none of the Elves strike me as femmy, quite the opposite. I guess the jokes come off based on their appearance, but they were practically a perfect race, so why shouldn't they look good? It doesn't mean they spend hours in front of the mirror.

Old 04-16-2003, 06:45 PM   #10
Galenlasdur
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Really? I've heard more gay jokes then vanity... I must agree with you on the perfect race comment.I just think people need to get over themselves, and stop with the jokes (all of them, mind you, not just with Legolas). I know this wont happen though but it is nice to dream, right? And so now that I have voiced my opinions I must go fiddle around with my profile...and find my brain....
Old 04-16-2003, 08:37 PM   #11
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rynoah, the Overly-Happy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I could go into a whole psychological mindset and say everyone makes fun of Legolas and/or Elves in general because they feel inadequate around them and have to put them down to feel better, but I won't because I don't like psychological mindsets. I wouldn't read much into the whole "Legolas is gay/vain" wisecracks. After all, <I>you</I> know what Legolas is like as a character, so why should you worry about what others say? Just as those who make "Boromir loves Aragorn" and vice versa cracks get a short chuckle and nothing more from me. It's nothing to make a big deal over (and some of them do it to get a rise out of you. Why give them the satisfaction? ).
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 04:32 AM   #12
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

People just say he's gay because of his long hair, I've heard more people say Haldir is gay then Legolas (Well, almost). Vain, I don't know. <p>[ April 30, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 05:47 AM   #13
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
I can understand from there point of vieuw why they call him gay. I mean, he does look like a very happy guy. But I think it is because of the tights and the tight clothes. And I believe I saw him winking at Billy a couple of times. Kidding, don't hit me. I'm a bi myself so there is no need calling me a racist.<P>Greetings,<P>Anuion
________
Chargeback insurance dicussion

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 03:56 AM.
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 09:10 AM   #14
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Ian McKellan is bi?
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 09:12 AM   #15
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I never knew that.
________
Vermont marijuana dispensaries

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 03:56 AM.
Old 04-18-2003, 10:17 AM   #16
Galenlasdur
Pile O'Bones

Tolkien

You didn't? I did.*feels special, but quickly frowns* You people are evil. <B>LEGOLAS IS NOT GAY!!</B> Granted, he is a bit happy(in the books.. in the movies Orlando is all uptight and crud..) but hey, who wouldn't be?*blinks*Don't answer that. Perphaps he is glad he can get away from Mirkwood (as it is becoming pretty dark,well where I am in the books anyway*ashamed she's not finished with all of them*).As for the tight fitting clothing...I find most archers wear tight clothing(ex:Link from Zelda, a sad example but work with me, even most of my RPG characters that are archers wear tight cloths.I don't know why...They're straight,too by the way.)
Old 04-18-2003, 10:19 AM   #17
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I don't quite know if you have been following the conversation, but none of us is suggesting that Orlando Bloom or Legolas is gay. Read before you post please.
________
CHRYSLER DR PLATFORM

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 03:57 AM.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:10 AM   #18
Galenlasdur
Pile O'Bones

Sting

Hrmm..I have been following. Misinterupered(can you tell I have no clue how to spell that,lol?) a few things I suppose...*cough* <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Actually Legolas was rubbing Gandalf's stomach, and Sir Ian McKellen is a bi.<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>*cough* I'm sorry I jumped on you..(I'm a pretty..erm...agressive fan. I usually have to calm down before I post in arguements, or else my post comes out as a bundle of typos strung together feebly, not that I think my normal posts are much better...) I will try a little better to erm..."read the posts" next time.
Old 04-18-2003, 11:36 AM   #19
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Legolas was checking out Gandalf at Moria too. <P>Okay, sorry, I just...<P>It's because of all those people who adore him, slobbering and drooling, giggling all the way. In no way am I saying that those types of people exist on the Barrow-Downs, but they certainly do in other places. Also, many people (such as I) love to make fun of the things I really like. So, when my friend and I watch LOTR, we make our inside jokes. For example, the last time we saw TTT, when Haldir walks up and says everything about the alliance my friend turns to me and says "Haldir looks like a fat drag queen." That was so hilarious. We still like Haldir and elves, even though we call them "the Pansies". We just like making fun of LOTR which we like so much.<P>And, we don't just make fun of elves, it's just that elves are easy targets because they are, you have to admit, strange. Not total wierdos, just strange. And arrogant. You know they are, they're "the wisest and fairest of all beings". Seriously, you gotta lighten up and laugh! It's funny!<P> <P>There's my explanation!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 11:54 AM   #20
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

People are so annoying when they have a point.
________
Brevis

Old 04-18-2003, 12:47 PM   #21
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I'm a bi myself so there is no need calling me a racist.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually, I think you'd be called "sexist" if anyone were to call you anything. Well... maybe if you were discriminating against Elves; then you'd be racist. <P>Durelin's explanation is a good one too. I know I enjoy making fun of Denethor and Faramir and Boromir.
Old 04-18-2003, 01:07 PM   #22
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Interesting point, Rynoah the OverlyHappy.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 01:10 PM   #23
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Sir Ian McKellen is as far as I know not bisexual, he's gay. He was one of the first big English actors to be openly homosexual, he's a prominent campaigner for gay rights, and highly respected as such, even by the more reactionary elements in the UK. <BR>What the sexual orientation of the other actors is, I have no idea. <BR>But I do agree that Haldir and co are quite camp.
Old 04-18-2003, 01:11 PM   #24
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Sting

Don't get me wrong, I make jokes just like the next obsessed fan <P>It's just that when the same old ones are repeated over and over...and over yet again, it gets tiresome. Kind of like spam in your email.

Old 04-18-2003, 01:55 PM   #25
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I know the feeling. But it is even moe annoying when people claim they know a lot about Lotr. One kid in class said: You know that Viking guy? He is the causin of Bailin.<P>I mean, that is even more annoying. Spam mail can atleast be blocked out. OH the ignorance.
________
Carrozzeria Scaglietti

Old 04-18-2003, 06:09 PM   #26
Galenlasdur
Pile O'Bones

Tolkien

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Seriously, you gotta lighten up and laugh! It's funny!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> We must have different ideas of "funny". I find the idea of an elf being a drag queen not at all humorious. Or perphaps it's the fact that when I'm on the computer I'm usually trying to escape the same type of humor in RL. I don't know, maybe I'm a stick in the mud. I think I am. Oh well. ^_^ The first step is to admit it, right? Really though, I do have a slightly different sense of humor. I'm more of a sarcasim person.Anyway, back on topic. Eek! The slightest idea of someone talking about 'That Viking Guy' makes my cringe.*cringe* Maybe they should read the books?
Old 04-18-2003, 09:12 PM   #27
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>You know that Viking guy? He is the causin of Bailin<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Looking back on previous mentions, I'll assume "the Viking guy" is Boromir? Please tell me I'm wrong, or I'll be forced to... to... roll my eyes viciously or something.
Old 04-19-2003, 06:08 AM   #28
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Your wrong. The viking guy is Gimli. You know, helmet, axe. Kinda more viking-like than Boromir won't you say?
________
VOLCANO DIGITAL VAPORIZER

Old 04-19-2003, 03:36 PM   #29
Rynoah, the Overly-Happy
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

In one of the cartoon versions, Boromir was portrayed as a Viking-like character. That's why I got them mixed up.<P>I heard somewhere that Vikings were slightly short, though, granted, not four feet tall. But I can see where Gimli could be mistaken for a Viking.
Old 04-19-2003, 06:16 PM   #30
helkahothion

Eye

In the time that vikings lifed, all people where about the size of Dwarfes. The mideval people where about 1.40 m high.
Old 04-20-2003, 08:31 PM   #31
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Oh, so I'm annoying, now, am I? You're mean to me Helka! <P>Well, Galenlasdur, you're not a stick in the mud, I'm just stupid. I think a lot of really dumb things are hilarious. Like the movie "Dude Where's My Car?" Talk about killing brain cells! Anyway, back to elves and "The Viking Guy".<P>Orli wuvs Ian.<P>Mwahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Old 04-21-2003, 09:19 AM   #32
helkahothion

Eye

*mobster accent*<P>Waz your problem eh? You don' wanna be messin' with me eh? Where you talking to me? You don't want to talk to me. Talking get's me upset and when I am upset, people will die capice?
Old 04-21-2003, 09:28 AM   #33
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

Okay, okay, I got it boss, I got it. I'll gets the money and it'll be done with, okay boss?<P>You know, the correct response to my post would be, "Did I ever say <I>you</I> made a point?"<P>Okay, maybe that sucks, but anyway...does anyone else love making fun of LOTR? Or am I a total wierdo, which, if that is the case, I will not be surprised.
Old 04-23-2003, 04:51 AM   #34
helkahothion

Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> You know, the correct response to my post would be, "Did I ever say you made a point?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That 's not correct. That would contain no humour whatso ever. And humor is fital. (sp) <P><BR>The thing is, I get a lot of Lotr jokes. I just laugh at the ignorantie most of the time since the thing they are saying is total bull****. I once heard some chick at the counter of a video store say while pointing at Dobey (the house elf of Harry Potter 2): "Hey, that thing is also in Lord of the rings. How stupid." So I tend to let it pass me. I never heared a realy good joke. Some made me smile, but nothing more.
Old 05-01-2003, 10:47 AM   #35
BlackKnight12

Tolkien

people also might say he is beacuse they jelous beacuse i guess most say he looks cute i dont know. and some i guess would also say beacuse u know the most poupular thing in movies is sometimes made fun of but to tell u most people talk about him most people i ask whos fav character is theres they say legolas. i got to go i doign a forum in class u guys are cool .<P>Elen sila lumenn omentilmo. Amin naa tualle. Mellon en amin. Lle naa belegohtar. Quel fara. Vanya sulie. Aa' lesser en lle coia orn n' omenta gurtha. Aa' menle nauva calen ar' ta hwestae' ale'quenle. <P>sorry got to go but i speak some elvish its fun well talk to u guys later u guys are cool bye.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:59 PM   #36
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

Your talking jibberisch. We are cool yes, but I can't make egg's from chickens out of that post. Don't mean to be a mean *******, but I don't get it.
Old 05-04-2003, 04:40 AM   #37
The Evenstar
Wight

The Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I've seen many elven haters on the Internet. For one, on IMDb, there was a guy who wouldn't stop going on and on about how gay the elves are and what fairies they are. I think peopel who go on like that need to look into Tolkien's works a little bit more before gabbing on and on! <P>P.S. Just in response to Black Knight's post, maybe you just got the grammer and sentance order a bit jumbled up. Nothing to worry about because I could understand some of what you said.
Old 05-04-2003, 06:18 AM   #38
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> elves are and what fairies they are <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>HAHAHAHAHA you have to admit, calling an elf a fairy. It's funny and ironic. hahahaha best one I heared in years about elfs.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:47 AM   #39
The Evenstar
Wight

The Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Yep. I agree with you, Helka. It's absurd! I mean, the person who said that was absoluytely senseless!
Old 05-15-2003, 06:35 PM   #40
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Sting

Really? Elves are fairy like. *cough*pansies*cough*<P> <P>I love making fun of elves, but they really are cool. Except humans will ALWAYS be best.