The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Eye Predictions about The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

So while we were on the bus coming home tonight, Agan and I started talking about the next Hobbit movie. We agreed that the Unexpected Journey's storyline followed that of the Fellowship of the Ring, so we started wondering if The Desolation of Smaug will be like the Two Towers. We started making stupid jokes and silly predictions of ridiculous rip-offs and then we realised we might actually not be very far off. And that's why we wanted to make this thread:

What silly/ridiculous/ludicrous déjà vu moments will we have when watching The Desolation of Smaug?

Let me start with these three:

1. The battle of Dol Guldur aka the Battle of Helm's Deep. An unexpected group of Elves will arrive in the darkest moment. Their leader is a prince who is disobeying his uncle - wait FATHER! - who doesn't want to meddle in the good guys' cause because he doesn't want to risk his people.

2. Dol Guldur aka Isengard will be washed with the water of the Mirkwood River that finally can run free!

3. Thorin aka Aragorn will fake die... oops, that already happened in the first movie! But I wouldn't really put it past Peter Jackson that when Thorin emerges from the river (in a barrel) he's half dead and will be lovingly woken up by Bilbo aka horse. At least I hope there's not going to be any Elf lady waving her pretty white fingers to make him awake.

Give me more!

edit: There's actually proof about the barrels, I seriously hope PJ doesn't botch it!

Last edited by Thinlómien; 12-17-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Beorn standing on the Carrock with long blonde hair flowing and looking wistful?
Old 12-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
1. The battle of Dol Guldur aka the Battle of Helm's Deep. An unexpected group of Elves will arrive in the darkest moment. Their leader is a prince who is disobeying his uncle - wait FATHER! - who doesn't want to meddle in the good guys' cause because he doesn't want to risk his people.
I wouldn't be surprised. Or basically, there could also simply be the battle of Dol Guldur involving the Elven prince who then, for example in the aftermath, is being talked to by Gandalf, and Gandalf ends the dialogue with blessing the Elven prince and kindly asking him to intervene and try to work a bit on his father's stubborn heart. Which the prince will take heed of and thus, in the third movie, the father's pride and hate for Dwarves will turn, in the important point of the battle, and he will command his hosts to help the Dwarves... but that's already jumping too far into the future.

In any case, Gandalf will emerge from the dialogue with looking at the leaving prince, muttering to himself "this lad is brave and has a good heart. He might have a role to play in the future."

Quote:
At least I hope there's not going to be any Elf lady waving her pretty white fingers to make him awake.
Of course not. There won't be any Elf ladies in Dale. However, speaking of Elven ladies, I can pretty well imagine Bilbo sort of drooling after some random Elven girl who, what, cleans the stables, or whatever she is doing there, and will end up somehow conflicted between actually staying with the Elves and staying with his friends. Okay, that is maybe really a bit over the top (though I think, in all seriousness, some sort of "moral conflict" like that could appear there, only perhaps, and hopefully, not in relation to an Elven girl who randomly happens to discover invisible Bilbo, later befriends him, and he sort of misuses her friendship to e.g. steal the keys to make their escape, and he will have a bit of moral dilemma over it...).

P.S. Oh, and one more short thing. Pretty sure about this one. After the battle with the spiders, the Dwarves are in a merry mood: "Ho, ho! Look at this! We have defeated the spiders! Not to speaking of our magnificent burglar, we're a bunch of Dwarves who are armed to the teeth and can fight any danger!" "And are breathing so loud that we could shoot you all where you stand," says a beautiful blonde elf appearing from behind a tree.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Before that we'll get the Lórien Elves (whom nobody expected) though.

Also the dwarves get separated in Mirkwood. There will be one group with lines such as "Mr Thorin! We're going in circles!" and another that is about to get eaten but escapes and is rescued by Radagast (or something), and in one Kili climbs a tree and points out that a red sun is rising.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
In any case, Gandalf will emerge from the dialogue with looking at the leaving prince, muttering to himself "this lad is brave and has a good heart. He might have a role to play in the future."
If they make ANY prophetic reference to the LotR movies in any of the Hobbit movies whatsoever, I will facepalm as much as I did with Sebastian.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Not entirely in line with the original thread idea, but...

Legolas is going to teach Bard to shoot or vice versa

PS. Note also the sideburns and Orlando's creepy eyes.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The elves with Dol Guldor, it never really mentions how they drive Sauron out of the place so the elves might have a role to play especially since the fortress is in their forest.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:42 AM   #8
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Mänwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mänwe
Quote:
Oh yes, those battlements look perfect for shield surfing.
- (Letter #124 To Sir Stanley Unwin)
Mänwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
That is Bard? Why on earth did the give him a mullett..... aieeee......

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Bard's hair being more filthy and unwashed than Aragorn's.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #11
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Seeing how Jackson did not get his way in having Arwen be at the hyped up Helm's Deep battle sequence...It will actually be Elf Warrior-Princess Tauriel, not approving of Uncle Thranduil's dislike of dwarves (since she has a forbidden romance with Kili), who shows up at the Battle of Dol Guldur to display her sword-wielding skills.

Thus, we do get a recycled Two Towers sequence, but it was cut because of head scratching "Arwen was not at Helm's Deep" protest. No one can protest a disobedient elven foster-daughter princess was not at the Battle of Dol Guldur!
Old 12-19-2012, 11:12 PM   #12
Glorthelion
Haunting Spirit

Glorthelion has just left Hobbiton.
I have a feeling the White Council might reappear because Saruman was going to aid the council for the last time and drive Sauron out of Dol Guldur.

Damn Gulf
Glorthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #13
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Dwarves will step in bear crap walking out of Beorn's house after spending the night there. Better yet, they will fall face first in it.

Bilbo will knock a fat spider out of a tree only to have it land on top of him. Cue the laugh track.

An orc pursued by Beorn will run off of a cliff, do a double take, and then fall - Wile E. Coyote style.

Kili will skateboard on a tree, or a barrel, or a spider, or something even more ridiculous.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Seeing how Jackson did not get his way in having Arwen be at the hyped up Helm's Deep battle sequence...It will actually be Elf Warrior-Princess Tauriel, not approving of Uncle Thranduil's dislike of dwarves (since she has a forbidden romance with Kili), who shows up at the Battle of Dol Guldur to display her sword-wielding skills.

Thus, we do get a recycled Two Towers sequence, but it was cut because of head scratching "Arwen was not at Helm's Deep" protest. No one can protest a disobedient elven foster-daughter princess was not at the Battle of Dol Guldur!
There's actually a very strong rumour that Tauriel is being cut from the films as collectors of the action figures have noticed that her 'figure' is only available in short supply and is not being packaged with ongoing merchandise that's coming out. There's a Lego minifig of her in the Mirkwood Spiders set (along with Legolas, Fili and Kili), which suggests they were going to have her and Legolas involved in rescuing the Dwarves, but that doesn't mean she's staying in the final cut as Lego toys have a very long development period.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:49 AM   #15
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Unfortunately, that picture of Bard and Legolas on set and in costume is a pretty clear indication that Leggy will get shoehorned into the Battle of Five Armies.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:07 PM   #16
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I expect a dinosaur stampede led by Jack Black as Thorin's sister, Dis.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #17
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Boots

Quote:
Originally posted by Rikae
An orc pursued by Beorn will run off of a cliff, do a double take, and then fall - Wile E. Coyote style.
This is true, but you forgot the PJ and Boyen inclusion of
the orc holding up a sign saying: "Oops. Which way to Barad-dur"
after being handed an anvil by Beorn.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #18
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dûm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
Unfortunately, that picture of Bard and Legolas on set and in costume is a pretty clear indication that Leggy will get shoehorned into the Battle of Five Armies.
I am against change just for the sake of change, but what is the problem of having Legolas at the battle of five armies? Yes he was not specifically mentioned to be there in the book, but there was a good chance he was there. I mean there is a precedent of Elf kings going to war with their heirs. So why not use this as a chance to reintroduce a character we know well from the LOTR.

I am all for Legolas playing a big role in the story and being at Thranduil's side.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:13 PM   #19
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellurdur View Post
I am against change just for the sake of change, but what is the problem of having Legolas at the battle of five armies? Yes he was not specifically mentioned to be there in the book, but there was a good chance he was there. I mean there is a precedent of Elf kings going to war with their heirs. So why not use this as a chance to reintroduce a character we know well from the LOTR.

I am all for Legolas playing a big role in the story and being at Thranduil's side.
cellurdur, I *suspect* this thread is not meant to be entirely serious.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #20
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Bard's hair being more filthy and unwashed than Aragorn's.
And yet he manages to shave his facial hair into that peculiar arrangement...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #21
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
There haven't been any dwarf-tossing jokes yet... but they'll have a chance to add some while tossing ropes to catch the boat in Mirkwood.

Peter Jackson will add an epic battle scene in which the Elves attack the spiders, giving Legolas a chance to show his archery skills while climbing on a spider's back.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #22
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

In homage to those who still use the word attercop, all the spiders in Mirkwood will be voiced by famous Lancastrians such as Peter Kay, Christopher Eccleston, Mark E Smith, Maxine Peake and Jane Horrocks. The webs will be made of Man U scarves and their poison of old Greenhalgh's mild left over from the 1972 Preston Guild. The company will escape by cunningly claiming to be Yorkshiremen, at which point the attercops will chase them off in disgust.

Bilbo is also going to ride a spider while Stan Lee appears in a cameo as a elf.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #23
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dûm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
cellurdur, I *suspect* this thread is not meant to be entirely serious.
LoL. Perhaps I should have paid more attention to all the post. Though I have seen genuine complaints about Legolas being so prominent before.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:58 PM   #24
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
That's Bard? He looks like Orlando Bloom's character from Pirates of the Caribbean or Inigo Montoya. I always pictured him as more Aragorn and less pirate.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:54 AM   #25
Rhod the Red
Shade of Carn Dûm

Rhod the Red is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Just as long as Smaug isn't portrayed as stupid when Bilbo tries to riddle the conversation with him. He was confused because of unfamiliarity with Hobbit smell. We don't need a "What? What's that supposed to mean?" moment
Rhod the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #26
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Back in the 1970s, there were a crop of one-hit-wonder bands called things like Chicory Tip and Golden Earring.
We have a quiz show in the UK called Never Mind the Buzzcocks where random members of such bands from yesteryear join a line-up of suspects and the quiz panelists have to guess who is the real band member.

Bard the Bowman looks like he's stepped out of one of those line-ups.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #27
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Woah that picture of Bard! For a moment I genuinely thought Orlando Bloom was playing both characters!