The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
Mumriken
Banned

Mumriken is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
Nature/Industry - Tolkien

It's quite obvious reading the lord of the rings and other Tolkien books that he had great admiration for trees and nature and considered "the machine" a sort of anti nature thing. One of the reasons he probably created the mythology was to escape the times much like many of us do today. We read books, watch movies etc to escape the world we live in. Because let's face it many of us hate society, and what primate wouldn't?

Anyway I wonder what you think Tolkien would have thought about our world today. Imagine him watching what is shown on television today or if he when he put on the radio would enjoy the music. Would he enjoy the clashing of cultures that exist, kids running around with pulled down pants and muslims blowing themself up, the abortion clinics, blondes being raped by muslims etc. It's quite clear from reading the silmarillion that he was quite opposed to "mixing of races". Or at least I think so considering men aren't allowed to go to Valinor etc. Also he looked down on Rhun and Umbar which would be the middle east and Africa today.

I think, shire, Tom Bomadil and the ents represents something in him that today is almost completely lost. Anyway on the nature vs industry topic, you could watch this video to get a sense of what I'm talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=FL...&v=f1WMmMzxHkM
To end this and encourage some disussion I'll state some things that might not be true and that I necessarily don't agree with, just to encourage discussion.

-Tolkien was a racist.
-He would not appreciate what Jackson and others have done with his life's work. He'd hate his fans that collect toys and carve walking sticks etc.
-He would be opposed to multicultarism and would consider mixing cultures to be pulling them all down.

Now if he was or thought any of the above, was he right or wrong? Is there really something in our society that is so horribly wrong one could equate it with Rhun/Harad and the machinery of Saruman?

Last edited by Mumriken; 08-08-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #2
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
I can appreciate the root question here, but the images are too crude and assertions too bizarre.

This sort of aggressive language is out of place. More discretion advised.