The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-08-2005, 04:02 PM   #1
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ring Belling the Ring

Note that the following is written without the Books, a net or possibly a clue. Anyway...

We own a dog.

She's part Border Collie, meaning that she has psychological issues, but all and all, she's exactly what you would expect when you think dog. Long time ago my family *owned* a cat. I say owned meaning that we paid money for him, and we registered him with the county, and so we had documentation saying that we were his owners and were, in theory, responsible for his welfare.

But, as you might well know, you don't own a cat.

He stayed with us as it suited him. If the neighbors had put out a better spread, I think that we might not have seen him again. Cats are like that. You don't train them - they don't sit or stay - they play with you when it amuses them, and as far as they're concerned, you're there for their entertainment and pleasure. Unlike with 'man's best friend,' a relationship with a cat is like one where you're sitting by the phone all night, hoping that he/she will call, biting your nails as you know (though you're trying to hide it from yourself) that he/she is most likely out with someone else.

The One Ring was a cat.

I once thought that the One Ring was Sauron's, but more consideration makes me think that this just ain't so. It stayed with Sauron as it suited it, but was ready to changes hands when it saw a better owner.

Consider:
  • The Ring was no help against the Númenóreans. I'm guessing that the Ring saw a golden opportunity in Ar-Pharazôn, and just itched to get onto his hand. Sauron may have known this and so kept his hand in perpetual 'clench.' Then again, it might have preferred ME to the Land of the Gift, and after the War of Wrath, it might not be too smart to be that close to the Valar.
  • As the Ring could not be born by fish or the Valar, it made its way back to ME after the Drowning. One might think that Sauron brought it back with him, born on a dark wind or something, yet the Ring may have just followed. Back in ME, Sauron was its most familiar and best bet there, and so it returned to its so-called master.
  • The Ring did not help Sauron when he faced Elendil and Gil-galad. I think that it realized that the Last Alliance was going to win, and so decided change sides and to go after Isildur, leaving Sauron. Surely when Sauron's body was broken, it had no reason to stay, but if in the War of the Ring we are to believe that a disembodied Sauron can reclaim the Ring, then why didn't go with him to wherever he hid himself for the years between his defeat and reappearance?
  • It betrays Isildur at the Gladden Fields. Was it trying to get back to an evil being as it found its current bearer, the first it tasted of the mortal and good side, annoying?
  • The Ring immediately leaves Déagol for Sméagol, sensing in the later a blacker heart and more potential.
  • Finding no better bearer in Sméagol's village, it prompt him to leave for greener/darker pastures. Was Smeagol's spelunking into the roots of the mountain guided by the Ring, as it was trying to find a new bearer not unlike the Balrog hidden under Moria?
  • Finding no other worthy bearer, the Ring leaves Gollum for Bilbo. Not much else can be made from its journey in the Hobbit, except that Bilbo uses it to kills spiders, fool elves, betray his companions and bring about the downfall of a Dragon - which precipitated a war.
  • In Gandalf the Ring sees a great bearer, and so attempts to catch him. Was this what prompted it to go along with Bilbo, finding not only one who would carry it away from Gollum ("Enunciate properly or shut up already!") but someone who smelled of Istari? Was this why it allows Bilbo to walk away at Bag End, so that it can be free for the taking in the presence of Gandalf?
  • The Ring goes along with Frodo, knowing that his journeys may carry it to better choices. It goes for Bombadil, yet is rejected (first time for that!). In Bree the Ring puts out the call to anyone else. Aragorn? Bill Ferny? The squint-eyed Southerner? Was someone in the room willing to get it to Saruman? Orthanc or bust?
  • At Weathertop, the Ring could have stayed on Frodo's finger, yet somehow comes off. Did it still see Aragorn as a better bearer than to be returned to Sauron via the Nine? But Aragorn, like Gandalf before him, reject the Ring's affections - they're just not Ring-people.
  • From Rivendell to Parth Galen the Ring works poor Boromir hard. As no other of the Fellowship could provide such a good place to live - Minas Tirith - the Ring set upon him. Through Boromir the Ring would have gotten what it liked most - power and dominion. Surely the Gondorian army, led by the Ring-enhanced Boromir (he would have thrown out his father) would have attacked Mordor. Blood would have spilled, and that might have been enough to sate the Ring. Who cared if it were Boromir or Sauron's hand that held it? For the Ring, either would do, and the end would be the same.
  • Oops! In Lothlorien the Ring makes a play for Galadriel, and who could blame it? Through the Golden Lady it would have gained much power, but there's just something about those Elves that would have soured the grapes. Even at her worst Galadriel may have just embalmed ME, and where's all of the fun and blood in that? But again we see, as during Gandalf's trial, that the Ring could have willingly moved on, setting up a new Dark Lord in place of Sauron. The Ring knew no loyalty, and unless rebuffed by Gandalf, Aragorn and Galadriel, it would have used its new hands to overthrow Sauron, then set things up to its liking.
  • From Parth Galen onward, the Ring's pickings are slim. It could stay with Frodo, awaiting a better choice, or go with that nutter Gollum again. Frodo's plodding took it closer to its former home, and maybe that was okay. Sauron wasn't that bad, given the choices. Still, if an orc were to come close enough, and if Shelob had fingers...
  • So at Sammath Naur we finally see the stereotypical cat. The Ring is home as home it could be - like having returned to a fiery womb of sorts. Now, does it call out to Sauron? Nope. It stays with Frodo, prompting him to use it. Seeing this from Barad-dûr, did Sauron's heart not just break?
  • And so on...

_____

Anyway, all my ramblings above are just to suggest that the One Ring was not Sauron's, would have left him in a heartbeat for a better bearer, and was responsible in part for choosing its bearer and disposition.

Last edited by alatar; 12-12-2007 at 03:32 PM.
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 01:28 AM   #2
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up Applicability?

I think it’s well documented that Tolkien was not 'a cat person', but I'm not convinced that The Ring was a direct parody. As Tolkien says in the forward, "Many people mistake allegory for applicability". I think this is a case of applicability; The Ring can have many meanings to the reader and writer (I'm trying not to get into the canonicity argument here). But, yes, The Ring did have many 'cat-like' qualities as you said.
I cannot say that I think The Ring stayed with Sauron as it suited it. I think The Ring genuinely believed that Sauron was the ultimate master; going to others was just a way of trying to get back to him, through the weaker minded. I don't think The Ring would even let someone who wielded it overthrow Sauron, in a way; Sauron had The Ring under his spell... Well, that's how I read it...

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 09-09-2005 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Rats in the pipes
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:18 AM   #3
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill
I cannot say that I think The Ring stayed with Sauron as it suited it. I think The Ring genuinely believed that Sauron was the ultimate master; going to others was just a way of trying to get back to him ...
I agree. To the extent that the Ring did have a will of its own, it was merely an aspect of Sauron's will - an extension of his will, if you like. It would suffer no other master. And even if mastered by another and used to overthrow Sauron (and Tolkien says that Gandalf is the only one who would have even a chance of acheiving this), the Ring (and thus Sauron) would still be master in the end.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:37 AM   #4
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
:
Originally Posted by Hookbill
I cannot say that I think The Ring stayed with Sauron as it suited it. I think The Ring genuinely believed that Sauron was the ultimate master; going to others was just a way of trying to get back to him ...
I'm a bit uncomforatble about the word 'belief' in this context. I'm not sure the Ring went in for belief &/or disbelief.

Quote:
And even if mastered by another and used to overthrow Sauron (and Tolkien says that Gandalf is the only one who would have even a chance of acheiving this), the Ring (and thus Sauron) would still be master in the end.
I think the relationship between Sauron & the Ring is subtle - as is his relationship with Middle-earth as a whole. In a way he is present everywhere his servants & the Ring are. His 'shadow' stretches across Middle-earth, his eye ranges across the land, the Nazgul are like the fingers of his hands (nine riders, nine fingers) reaching out to take what he desires. The Ring is his will, his 'life'. He survives as long as it survives. In that sense it is very like the fairy story theme of the giant's/monster's heart. The heart is kept safe in a secret place & so the giant seems impervious to harm. The only way to kill him is to find his heart & destroy it.

As Alatar has said, the Ring does not need Sauron in order to exist (there's never any suggestion that the Ring could be destroyed by killing Sauron). How much the Ring & Sauron are one is another question. Certainly, in order to use the Ring one has to make oneself into another Sauron as much as one is made into another Sauron by the overwhelming power of the Ring (ie overwhelming once claimed). The Ring is the will of Sauron - or at least it was that to begin with - whether it changed & evolved into something more is another question. I wonder how much of an individual personality Sauron actually had by the end & how much he was 'simply' a 'force' a 'will to power'.

(That was a bit too rambling - sorry)
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 07:04 AM   #5
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
I'm a bit uncomforatble about the word 'belief' in this context. I'm not sure the Ring went in for belief &/or disbelief.
Fair point.

Quote:
His 'shadow' stretches across Middle-earth, his eye ranges across the land, the Nazgul are like the fingers of his hands (nine riders, nine fingers) reaching out to take what he desires.
Good imagery. I like the association of the nine Nazgul with Sauron's 9 fingers.

Quote:
As Alatar has said, the Ring does not need Sauron in order to exist (there's never any suggestion that the Ring could be destroyed by killing Sauron).
True, but to a degree the Ring was Sauron. If Sauron was destroyed and the Ring remained, Sauron would still have an existence of sorts. And while the Ring remained in existence, wouldn't Sauron have the capability of restoring his physical body and returning to claim the Ring from whomsoever it had mastered?

In may ways, the Ring was a "failsafe" device for Sauron. His will would be preserved within it and allow him ultimately to return for as long as it remained undestroyed. And since no one in Middle-earth was capable of destroying it, Sauron was in a "win-win" situation, even when it was not in his possession. No wonder it took an act of providence to defeat the whole set-up.

So, no. I do not see the Ring as being like a cat (and I know exactly what you mean, alatar, having been "adopted" by one while at college). The Ring was not independent of Sauron, as a cat would be. Rather, it was part of him - an extension of him, as davem's imagery suggests. And it was not capable of choosing a different master. When separated from Sauron, all it could do was seek to adapt and to influence its surroundings and those around it in an effort to return to him. This was its "instinct", or "program" if you like.

Then again, as Sauron was originally conceived as a cat, perhaps the Ring was part-cat after all.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earendilyon
If Gandalf overcame Sauron, not Sauron but the Ring would be the ultimate winner.
Which would mean, in a way, that Sauron was the ultimate winner. And it seems to me, although Tolkien does not say as much in that letter, that this would open up the possibility of Sauron regaining physical presence and returning to claim the Ring from the Ring-mastered Gandalf.

Last edited by The Saucepan Man; 09-09-2005 at 07:08 AM.
The Saucepan Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 07:31 AM   #6
Earendilyon
Wight

Earendilyon has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Which would mean, in a way, that Sauron was the ultimate winner. And it seems to me, although Tolkien does not say as much in that letter, that this would open up the possibility of Sauron regaining physical presence and returning to claim the Ring from the Ring-mastered Gandalf.
I beg to disagree on this point. As I see it, Sauron put a lot of his power into the Ring, but not himself! After the Ring was indeed destroyed, Sauron did still exist, but completely powerless, because he had put most of his power into the Ring, and much of the rest into restoring himself and Mordor a couple of times.
The effect of Gandalf mastering the Ring and overcoming Sauron with it, would be the same to Sauron as when it were destroyed: its power would forever be lost to him:
Quote:
If Gandalf proved the victor, the result would have been for Sauron the same as the destruction of the Ring; for him it would have been destroyed, taken from him for ever. - Letter # 246
The Ring would continue to exist, though. And the ultimate effect for Middle-earth would be disastrous, because:
Quote:
Gandalf as Ring-Lord would have been far worse than Sauron. He would have remained 'righteous', but self-righteous. He would have continued to rule and order things for 'good', and the benefit of his subjects according to his wisdom (which was and would have remained great).
[The draft ends here. In the margin Tolkien wrote: 'Thus while Sauron multiplied [illegible word] evil, he left "good" clearly distinguishable from it. Gandalf would have made good detestable and seem evil.']- Letter # 246

Dominus Anulorum

TolkienGateway - large Tolkien encyclopedia.
Earendilyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 07:02 AM   #7
Earendilyon
Wight

Earendilyon has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
And even if mastered by another and used to overthrow Sauron (and Tolkien says that Gandalf is the only one who would have even a chance of acheiving this), the Ring (and thus Sauron) would still be master in the end.
Tolkien discussed the what-if-Gandalf-used-the-Ring scenario in Letter # 246. If Gandalf overcame Sauron, not Sauron but the Ring would be the ultimate winner:
Quote:
Confrontation of Sauron alone, unaided, self to self was not contemplated. One can imagine the scene in which Gandalf, say, was placed in such a position. It would be a delicate balance. On one side the true allegiance of the Ring to Sauron; on the other superior strength because Sauron was not actually in possession, and perhaps also because he was weakened by long corruption and expenditure of will in dominating inferiors. If Gandalf proved the victor, the result would have been for Sauron the same as the destruction of the Ring; for him it would have been destroyed, taken from him for ever. But the Ring and all its works would have endured. It would have been the master in the end.
Remember, though, that Letter # 246 is a draft; the book doesn't say whether or not a 'clean copy' was actually sent.

Dominus Anulorum

TolkienGateway - large Tolkien encyclopedia.
Earendilyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 07:28 AM   #8
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar

We own a dog.
. . . .

But, as you might well know, you don't own a cat.

The One Ring was a cat.
I think perhaps it is dog owners/ lovers who have this false notion of cats (although I freely admit I could be wrong, having been attacked and bitten several times by dogs as a child; and, no, they weren't rabid and neither am I).

Of course one does not 'own' a cat. Cats are neither slaves nor property nor material objects. Nor do cats get into power-tripping plays of dominance. Cats are not possessive in their love. They don't impose their will or demand attention and affection. They respect their owner's agency. They are as pure an example of unselfish, unbinding love as one can find.

Dogs, on the other hand, are into relationships of dominance and control, even if they appear to be the submissive partners. They, after all, often let their masters know when they want a walk. Yet it is the humans who are the ones who call 'stop' in the activities. This whole notion of 'training' reflects the deplorable and abysmal concept of hierarchy, dominance and control which is the very antithesis of real friendship and love.

I would be very tempted to say the Ring was a dog were I not so aware of how cruelly people have usurpt animals to serve human designs. Or perhaps a horse. Yes, that might possibly fit. Sauron cracking his whip to demand more speed, more distance, more extension of control. No wonder Rohan was so greatly at risk.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:42 PM   #9
Nazgûl-king
Wight

Nazgûl-king has just left Hobbiton.
Interesting theory alatar! I never thought of the ring, choosing it’s barer.
Nazgûl-king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:24 PM   #10
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
How Dog's Think: Wow! You give me a home, you protect me, you feed me, and you put a roof over my head. You must be God!

How Cat's Think: Wow! You give me a home, you protect me, you feed me, and you put a roof over my head. I must be God!

Very true Alatar, the Ring is like a cat.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:31 PM   #11
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
And now for some nitpicking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar View Post
  • The Ring was no help against the Númenóreans. I'm guessing that the Ring saw a golden opportunity in Ar-Pharazôn, and just itched to get onto his hand. Sauron may have known this and so kept his hand in perpetual 'clench.' Then again, it might have preferred ME to the Land of the Gift, and after the War of Wrath, it might not be too smart to be that close to the Valar.
Quote:
  • As the Ring could not be born by fish or the Valar, it made its way back to ME after the Drowning. One might think that Sauron brought it back with him, born on a dark wind or something, yet the Ring may have just followed. Back in ME, Sauron was its most familiar and best bet there, and so it returned to its so-called master.
I was under the impression that the Ring helped Sauron cloud the minds of the Númenóreans, and that he carried it back to ME himself. Tolkien was under the same impression:

Quote:
"Though reduced to 'a spirit of hatred borne on a dark wind', I do not think one need boggle at this spirit carrying off the One Ring, upon which his power of dominating minds now largely depended."
(Letter 211)

Quote:
  • Surely when Sauron's body was broken, it had no reason to stay, but if in the War of the Ring we are to believe that a disembodied Sauron can reclaim the Ring, then why didn't go with him to wherever he hid himself for the years between his defeat and reappearance?
You're jumping the gun here. Who says we are to believe that? Sauron was disembodied for a considerable time. By the time of the War of the Ring, however, he had regained physical form:

Quote:
"You would have become a wraith under the dominion of the Dark Lord; and he would have tormented you for trying to keep his Ring, if any greater torment were possible than being robbed of it and seeing it on his hand."
– Gandalf in "Many Meetings", FOTR.

Quote:
"That would be Minas Ithil that Isildur the son of Elendil built," said Frodo. "It was Isildur who cut off the finger of the Enemy."

"Yes, he has only four on the Black Hand, but they are enough," said Gollum, shuddering.
–"The Black Gate Is Closed", TTT.

Quote:
"Let the Lord of the Black Land come forth! Justice shall be done upon him."
– The heralds of Gondor in "The Black Gate Opens", ROTK.

Note also that Sauron needs a road to get to the Chambers of Fire.

So I don't think there's any reason to assume that he could have actually wielded the Ring while disembodied.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:26 PM   #12
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Mind you, that was all just for the sake of argument. As regards your main point, alatar: yes, the Ring is much more like a cat than like a dog.

And I am a cat-lover. Cats vary, of course:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
Whether the Ring is a 'cat' or 'like a cat', depends on how you view cats. I can see one Bagpuss-like specimen now, sleeping off his dinner; this cat offers comfort when his owners are upset or ill. He has to be carried to bed at night, and he is trained to 'speak' to his mum when he wants something. That doesn't sound ring-like to me.
I have one just like that... but another who is the archetypical scheming, disdainful feline. Oh, and cats do display dominance behaviour. I've got four of them– I should know. (On the other hand, mine get on fairly well with each other.)
Old 12-14-2007, 12:37 PM   #13
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
I was under the impression that the Ring helped Sauron cloud the minds of the Númenóreans, and that he carried it back to ME himself. Tolkien was under the same impression:
Maybe he got that wrong.

Quote:
You're jumping the gun here. Who says we are to believe that? Sauron was disembodied for a considerable time. By the time of the War of the Ring, however, he had regained physical form:
How did that work? Was he somewhat formed - visible - and as the years accrued, become more and more solid, finding that one day he could no longer walk through doors? Did his DPI (dots per inch, like on a printer) go from 1 to a few million over a time? Or did part of his body form, and so by the time of Gollum's capture, he was complete? Does this mean that the orcs, rebanding after the War of the Last Alliance, worship the Nose of Sauron (anyone remember a Woody Allen film like this), then the Face of Sauron, then the Head and Shoulders...?

Did he restart as a cockroach, then move up the ladder to a coney, then to a wolf, then to his somewhat humanoid form? Did he possess a body of another? Assume that he can shed flesh as he may have done at the Drowning. could he not don some other like a new shirt?

Or assume that there's some other mechanism. Whichever - why, after going through all of the trouble of reincarnation - or whatever the process was - would he then not regrow Finger #10? Makes me have doubts.

Sauron was a master of disinformation (See Denethor) and in reality might as well have been reformed as St. Nick - Santa Claus. He has black hands - gloves, is magical, is a giver of gifts (Annatar?) and purportedly can see all and know all. Doesn't he have Nine flying creatures at his beck and call? Hmmm...

Quote:
Note also that Sauron needs a road to get to the Chambers of Fire.
Or was this a make-work project that kept the orcs busy and the Orc Public Works union happy?
Old 12-14-2007, 03:11 PM   #14
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
For some reason, Alatar, your amusing suggestions remind me of another disappearing and reappearing character created by another Oxford professor - Lewis Carroll's Cheshire Cat! Perhaps Sauron did it similarly? However, it wouldn't be his grin that remained longest, but his Eye - that explains all!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:53 PM   #15
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
How did that work? Was he somewhat formed - visible - and as the years accrued, become more and more solid, finding that one day he could no longer walk through doors? Did his DPI (dots per inch, like on a printer) go from 1 to a few million over a time?
No, we don't get those details, just this (and similar quotes):

Quote:
"...many years ago I myself dared to pass the doors of the Necromancer in Dol Guldur, and secretly explored his ways, and found thus that our fears were true: he was none other than Sauron, our Enemy of old, at length taking shape and power again."
–Gandalf in "The Council of Elrond", TTT.

So you can make whatever theory you like about the process. Yours is... interesting:

Quote:
Or did part of his body form, and so by the time of Gollum's capture, he was complete? Does this mean that the orcs, rebanding after the War of the Last Alliance, worship the Nose of Sauron (anyone remember a Woody Allen film like this), then the Face of Sauron, then the Head and Shoulders...?
The Woody Allen film is "Sleeper". The dictator gets blown up and his followers try to clone him from the only remaining part– his nose.

Quote:
Or assume that there's some other mechanism. Whichever - why, after going through all of the trouble of reincarnation - or whatever the process was - would he then not regrow Finger #10? Makes me have doubts.
As for the finger, I think Sauron couldn't regrow it because his power was somewhat diminished (just not to the extent that he couldn't take shape at all).

Quote:
Sauron was a master of disinformation (See Denethor) and in reality might as well have been reformed as St. Nick - Santa Claus. He has black hands - gloves, is magical, is a giver of gifts (Annatar?) and purportedly can see all and know all. Doesn't he have Nine flying creatures at his beck and call? Hmmm...
And note that at one stage he had Elves making things for him! Alatar, you have me convinced.

I think you'd better contact "The Downer" over this one. The public must be informed before it's too late!