The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-21-2003, 09:00 AM   #1
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
Sting LotR meets other movies

When I saw TTT and then the Matrix, I realized that the "Arwen kisses Aragorn and he's not dead anymore" thing is quite similar to "Trinity kisses Neo and he's not dead anymore" scene. I had another this kind of thing in my mind but i forgot it... Do you recognise any similarities between lotr and other movies?

Last edited by dancing spawn of ungoliant; 01-12-2006 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Oh, gosh, these old posts of mine *blushes* Sweeping party continues...
dancing spawn of ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 09:16 AM   #2
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think I saw that kiss in Sleeping Beauty ... no, Snow White ... no, Romeo & Juliet ... no, ...<P>There are many themes in stories that occur again and again. They're classic.<P>H.C.
Old 06-21-2003, 01:36 PM   #3
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Willow and Lotr may be highly individual films, but there is no denying there is a strong similarity also. <BR>A reluctant short man guards a precious and powerful object and has to take it to a city whose name I cannot spell, but it is pretty darn similar to Minas Tirith...<BR>The Boromir-like character dies in the Aragorn-like character's arms, while defending the Tirith-like city, plus he came from a land named Galadorn or something (*coughGondorcough*).<P>I'm not complaining in any way about the similarities, btw. I actually find it rather fun. I have taken to calling all the characters by their Lotr alter ego names, and have a jolly good time watching both films.
Old 06-22-2003, 06:22 PM   #4
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Willow! Yes! Very much so! Let's see ... what else ... I've got it! How Arwen and Aragorn have to sort of fight for their love much like Noalie and Gay do in Showboat ?? OKay maybe not. <P>I'VE GOT IT! In Star Wars when Obi Wan Kenobi dies and then speaks to Luke during the assault on the death star in the first Star Wars is very similar to Frodo's flashback of Gandalf at the end of FOTR when he's about to go on to Mordor alone. That's it. Very similar.<P>LOTR is way more to me than any other movie to the point where I can't imagine it being anything less. Most people see it as a good action-packed fantasy film just like Willow and Star Wars, but to others--Whoa! Okay! Goodnight!<P>-Maikafanawen
Old 06-25-2003, 10:58 PM   #5
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dūm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think the scene in TT when Gandalf and Eomer charge the Uruk-hai compares to the charge in the Patriot. The enemy wasn't expecting it and was to late to act.<P>Burzdol