The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-27-2004, 02:10 PM   #1
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In my front hallway, grabbing my staff, about to head out my door
bilbo_baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to bilbo_baggins
Threads - how do get them?

In this thread, tell us how you start a thread or come up with ideas for threads, rather. There are some amazingly popular ones, and there are the ones that fizzle. How do you (the reader of this) get a great thread idea?
Old 04-27-2004, 04:23 PM   #2
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

Well, for me, I read a post in a forum or a passage in a book that makes me ponder. It's the kinda thing that makes you wanna say "Eureka!" It just comes! However, it won't come if you are constantly thinking, "i need to make a thread" it probably won't come. I'm not saying it won't, but for me, it's doubtful.
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 07:12 PM   #3
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

So, Perky Ent, you're saying that to find a thread, you have to not be looking for one?

Interesting!
Old 04-27-2004, 07:15 PM   #4
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Well, kind've like Perky said, if you're just making a thread because you want to be able to say you've made one, you probably shouldn't make it . I really don't end up thinking of many threads that haven't been done already, or that are worth their space, so I've probably only done maybe...10 total. Early on I started a couple of vote threads, those were just inspired by changes in the movie. If I get annoyed with people complaining about certain things (ie: how the Uruk-Hai breeding scene in FotR was so gross/unnecessary), then sometimes I'll start a thread on how they'd rather have done it (like I did for the scene above).
The main thing to remember is not to start a thread for the sake of starting one, if you never get a good idea for a thread, just be content to post on someone else's. Wow, that sounded a lot more like a lecture on thread-starting then how I started mine !
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 07:26 PM   #5
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Anything about thread-starting is welcome, Estel (The Only Real). I must admit that I started this thread partly because I wanted to start one, and did not know what to start it with... you get the picture. Thus, this thread.

I hope more people are interested. Not that I don't like the points already made, but this thread looks like it could create a crowd... (I hope)
Old 04-27-2004, 07:56 PM   #6
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I wouldn't say that it was bad to actually look for a reason to start a thread. Of course, one would have to do careful searching to make sure it hasn't been done. Some of my threads have been searching for topics...I'll just ponder over LotR...mull over it...think of something...search for it...find out it's already been done...realize I'm not as clever as I think I am...

*shrugs* I try to start threads that are really important...of course, I do have some stupid threads...*cough* Which is why I try to make a habit of not to make threads.

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:04 PM   #7
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Indeed, Imladris. Stupid threads have come from my fingers, too, and I regret them. I hope no one considers this thread to be stupid or unworthy of consideration, as it took me a while to figure out what to title it ( )
Old 04-27-2004, 08:36 PM   #8
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

In the past, when I've thought of threads, some were random and shallow RPGs (some were good, though), some were topics like a northwest U.S./Canadian BD meeting, some were N&N chit-chat topics that got closed sooner or later by a frustrated mod... the good ones, though, were inspired by, as Perky Ent said, a fellow BD-er or something out of one of Tolkien's books. I've come up with topics that question the true nature of the immortality and relative aging of the Eldar... but in the past most of my time has been spent roleplaying, and thus I don't start too many topics.
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 08:52 PM   #9
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
An extremely popular thread is not necessarily any better than one where only 10 people post.

Some threads are just geared toward a smaller group of people.

The threads I started that went on for months...I wasn't really fond of them by the end.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:24 PM   #10
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Usually the other people who frequented them were though.

I agree though: some work well with a small group of people, as it allows a personal discussion to carry on the the people involved to get used to the styles of the others - this can be a good thing or a bad thing! But incredibly long threads with hundreds of participators all posting only once or twice are not, in my opinion, the best - I like it in a discussion when people back up and carry on the discussion, allowing more depth.

Well, that's the idea anyway.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:51 AM   #11
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Have you seen the "Canonicity" thread lately? It is just like you were describing, Aman. No wonder it's so successful.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:26 PM   #12
Quicksilver_Sprite
Animated Skeleton

Quicksilver_Sprite has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

There was one called, I think, Titles for the Future a ways back. The topic was something along the lines of, "if you ever got a personal title, what would it be?" Got to ten pages at one point, before it was shut down for being off topic.

Dream a dream / And see through angel's eyes / A place where we can fly away
Ride with me upon a shining star, / Above the moonlit sky / We will find Elysium
Quicksilver_Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 07:58 AM   #13
bilbo_baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

How could it be off-topic? The Canonicity thread has apparently gone beyond anything reasonably titled "Tolkien" and is now something we can't label. I suggest someone read that and see what is 'off-topic' persay.
Old 05-15-2004, 02:38 AM   #14
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver_Sprite
There was one called, I think, Titles for the Future a ways back. The topic was something along the lines of, "if you ever got a personal title, what would it be?" Got to ten pages at one point, before it was shut down for being off topic.
I did actually figure out what title I wanted on that thread, though.

When (and if) I ever post new topics, they're invariably from news sources (which tends to limit to movies, as of late). They tend to be the most analytical, for me. If I ever have Tolkien questions, they've generally been answered already, and search takes care of that.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote