The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2008, 10:55 PM   #1
cesar.ewok
Pile O'Bones

cesar.ewok has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to cesar.ewok
Towers of Minas Morgul and Cirith Ungol

I've got a silly question: what's the difference between the Towers of Cirith Ungol and Minas Morgul? I thought they were the same, but I looked at the Encyclopedia of Arda and it's said there that Cirith Ungol is the pass that lay above the tower os Minas Morgul. However, in the map shown there, Minas Morgul is on the western edge of Ephel Dúath, whereas the TOWER of Cirith Cirith Ungol seems to be located on the eastern edge.

Now I'm utterly confused, and I can't figure this out. Help me.
cesar.ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:28 AM   #2
Maedhros_the_Tall
Haunting Spirit

Location: North East of England, currently at university in South West Scotland.
Maedhros_the_Tall has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maedhros_the_Tall Send a message via Yahoo to Maedhros_the_Tall
(I think I've got this right...)

Minas Morgul was where the nine dwelt, the location formerly known as Minas Ithil, on the west of Ephel Dúath as you said. The tower of Cirith Ungol is above the pass of Morgul, and is on the east of the Ephel Dúath, and its where Frodo was taken by the orcs after he was attacked by Shelob, where Sam went to rescue him.

Hope that helps! : )
Old 06-09-2008, 05:41 AM   #3
Borromino
Newly Deceased

Borromino has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedhros_the_Tall View Post
(I think I've got this right...)

Minas Morgul was where the nine dwelt, ..........................

Hope that helps! : )
ALL the Nine dwelt there or each one of them had a territory of competence in the mordorian kingdom ?
Borromino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:01 AM   #4
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
It appears that after the time of the Great Plague (TA 1636), the Nine reassembled in Mordor in secret, but Ithil of course remained Gondor's until the Nazgul (presumably with an army) captured it in 2002. It was they who quietly prepared the way for Sauron's return, which occurred not long after he was driven from Dol Goldur.

When Sauron declared himself openly and rebuilt Barad-dur, it appears that the Witch-king and five others dwelt in Morgul; two were sent to re-occupy Dol Guldur; and one stayed with Sauron as his messenger. There is no indication whether these were 'permanent' billets, or if the individual Ringwraiths rotated among them.

There is no suggestion at all that Mordor was divided into fiefdoms.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:33 AM   #5
cesar.ewok
Pile O'Bones

cesar.ewok has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to cesar.ewok
Thank you, Maedhros. Now I can recall them from the book.

And thank you guys for the additional information.
cesar.ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:14 AM   #6
Maedhros_the_Tall
Haunting Spirit

Location: North East of England, currently at university in South West Scotland.
Maedhros_the_Tall has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maedhros_the_Tall Send a message via Yahoo to Maedhros_the_Tall
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesar.ewok View Post
Thank you, Maedhros. Now I can recall them from the book.

And thank you guys for the additional information.
No problem happy to finally help someone! Lol. WCH got the long and short of it though, mine was just the bare bones!