The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-12-2002, 08:11 AM   #1
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting lord of the rings ritual

I'm not really expecting anyone to have done so, but,
In the book, The Magical World of JRR Tolkien, by Gareth Knight, theres a kind of 'ritual/play' based on a journey to the Undying Lands. Has anyone read this, or even better, done, & if so, what happened?
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2002, 10:36 AM   #2
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Tirned Tinnu has just left Hobbiton.
Question

I found this biography page on Gareth Knight, and from it I conclude that yes, what you describe is a ritual.
I have seen many sites on the web containing wiccan/Gardnerian rituals written in Elvish.
I say, whatever floats your boat, if it lends power to your ritual, then so be it. I will certainly be interested in looking up what Gareth has to say. He's been involved in the "paganist" movement for a long time. (This doesn't mean he's particaularly scholarly about it. I see references to Alistar Crowley, and when I see that, I tend to shy away from such writings. Way to dark and trippy for me, however, I have read some of Dion Fortune's work and found it of interest. My gripe about Dion was: "As a result of her experience with psychic attack Fortune concluded that hostile psychic energy can emanate both deliberately and unwittingly from certain people and that one can mentally fend off such energy. Her work Psychic Self-Defense (1930) is still regarded as the best guide to detection and defense against psychic attack."
I have found that people reading this work seriously become frightened and introverted, constantly worried that at any moment they might be assailed. (The equivalent to the freak standing on the corner wearing tin-foil on his head to protect himself from alien thought-waves.) I was however, interested in his works on Christ, and I may have a go at them. Then again, I think I will just take a quick peek at them in my local library!
[img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
What did you think of his work? I would be interested to find out more about him.

[ October 13, 2002: Message edited by: Tirned Tinnu ]
Old 10-12-2002, 11:05 AM   #3
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Thanks- I wasn't going to try the ritual - I was just curious to see if anyone had & how it felt, or if anything happened. Gareth Knight is FAR more Christian oriented than Pagan. It really limits him in some ways. Crowley was a jerk. Don't avoid him because he makes you nervous, just don't bother, his stuff will bore you to tears.
RJ Stewart is very good though.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote