The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2003, 02:29 PM   #401
Elvish Hermit
Pile O'Bones

Elvish Hermit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I chose my nivkname because ever since I was little, I always felt like an elf. Whether it be some beautiful princess-like one (NOT arwen) or Santa Clause related I alway wanted to be one. And the hermit part was added because I rarely interact with 3D people and I like hermit crabs.
Elvish Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 02:30 PM   #402
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I admire and identify with Aragorn, in a way, and was trying to think up something Aragorn related that was clever but serious. Then, I stumbled upon aragornreborn. I liked it, so it is. I also admire/identify with Faramir, and in one of my many moments of supreme uncleverness, I entertained the name Faramir_is_here. Yes, yes, I know. Luckily, I stuck with aragornreborn which, to me anyway, is a little better.
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 02:35 PM   #403
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

In answer to several questions, no, you cannot change your screenname. What you can do if you absolutely want it different is re-register under the new name. You will start with 0 posts again if you do so.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 04:02 PM   #404
Durion the Dark

Sting

My nickname is pretty straight foreward (although i doubt anyone will even see it buried so far in the back). My first choice was Tanis Half-elven (named after a very popular book series, Dragonlance) But i suppose not enough people would understand that (I love those books so much). So i chose a very new name of mine, Durion the Dark.......Actually Durion was the original name, Taken from a homemade RPG I made up (mostly...). Durion, a cloudy figure, obscure at times, wearing a simple robe cloak combination, And wielding a fearsom halbred/pike....... [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] , the Dark on the other hand is just a signature on the end of my name when I play computer RPGs. Well, I hope you enjoy that, Rate me if YOU, have the time....Durion the Dark
Old 03-09-2003, 02:19 AM   #405
Chancellen the True
Pile O'Bones

Chancellen the True has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I figured that all the names from Tolkien that I liked would allready be taken, since I'm #6000 something; so, I took a name from another source. The name I took is from a Planescape novel. It is one The Nameless One's aliases from a prior life that he read on a wanted poster. Obscure enough for ya.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:55 AM   #406
Adamathamariel
Pile O'Bones

Adamathamariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I just changed my name from "Andephelwen", which means long wall (its the one that the BD generator spit out), to my self-fabricated name, Adamathamariel. It is a modified version of Adanethamariel, which means "Maiden Woman of the Earth".

-------------------------------------------
"Good heavens! Don't pretend that goblins can't count. They can. Twelve isn't fifteen and they know it."
Beorn
Adamathamariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 07:09 PM   #407
hobbit punk
Haunting Spirit

hobbit punk has just left Hobbiton.
My nick is supposed to be kinda funny and different. I happen to love LOTR esp. hobbits and punk rock so it seemed to fit. And it fits my persona as well. I often like to pretend I am a hobbit. Don't know why but I feel a special connection with them. Sorry if that isn't too interesting.. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2003, 09:16 PM   #408
White Lady

White-Hand

Well I just love elfs, and Galadrel is my favorite one. She is bautiful and powerful...and all that [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] ,so I couldn't be Galadriel and her aliase is The White Lady, so here I am [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2003, 05:42 PM   #409
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dūm

Hirilaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am a swimmer, and love Arthurian legends, so I chose Hirilaelin, Lady of the Lake! But my translated Elvish name is Eruanne, which is kind of frustrating now that I'm registered with 300 something posts. Can't turn back now! But I do like my name, it sounds cool to say, all flowery and flowing.
Hirilaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 08:14 PM   #410
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

Well,

originally I tried to think of a fairly obscure name from Lord of the Rings, little did I know then that this board reaches such heroic levels of obscurity. (PS that's a compliment by the way) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Frankly after I'd haunted the downs for a while I was amazed that nobody else had this nick.

Then I got to thinking, and remembered Rumil the great sage of Kor-Tirion, yeah,a bit presumptuous, but stay with me. I grew up in a house called Coedhirion (which sounds more or less the same, honest). Now, as you linguistic types know, that's Welsh for tall trees, which brings us back to Rumil of Lothlorien, well known for hanging around in the odd mallorn or two.
Old 03-12-2003, 11:08 AM   #411
Gilbo
Animated Skeleton

Gilbo has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

What nickname?
Back at the dawn of the Fifth Age(circa 1969) my group was in to Tolkien, "Stranger in a Strange Land" and Pipeweed. We started adding BO to our real names, thus Tombo, Timbo, Wesbo, Larbo,Denbo, Gilbo.
Women had -Sholme added to their names, as in Mary-sholme, Janey-sholme, Jeannie-sholme. I don't know why, ask the pipe.
I've used it ever since.
Gilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 03:14 AM   #412
grishgrash the burner

Ring

intially, i was going to choose something... elvish. since the eldars were the beautiful and the fair. but then, i thought... maybe not. i thought, o.k. a lot of people will choose something elvish. so, why don't i take something that is the opposite? & i ended up with 'grishgrash the burner'.

'i'll hunt you down and burn you if i have to' --grishgrash the burner
Old 03-28-2003, 07:17 AM   #413
Mordor_Queen
Haunting Spirit

Mordor_Queen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

I chose Mordor Queen because i love the Shire [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2003, 05:00 PM   #414
Elotareth
Animated Skeleton

Elotareth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I actually had a lot of fun choosing my name! I'm kind of obsessed with Elvish and I really identify with the warrior princess archetype (sorry all you Arwen-dissers!), so I compiled several words (I can't remember whether its in Sindarin or Quenya) to make Elotareth. It basically means "Star Warrior" with the feminine ending "-eth". Anyway, g2g
Matthew 28:20
"Renewed shall be blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king"
Elotareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 12:34 AM   #415
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I made up the name Lathriel it is a character from my first fan fiction.
She is a beautiful maiden and somehow the name Lathriel stuck. Anyway I would post my story on this website if they had room! I will have to check if they made any space sometime soon. I check weekly. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2003, 03:45 AM   #416
GlingleglingleglingleFairy
Animated Skeleton

GlingleglingleglingleFairy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, long story behind my name. It comes from a Terry Pratchett book, Hogfather. Basically in the book the Hogfather (kind of like Santa) is killed and there's lots of spare belief in the world. Because of this lots of random gnomes/fairies start existing to explain things (the verruca gnome brings verrucas, there's a creature that eats odd socks) and each time someone says, hey, I bet there's a gnome that brings verrucas there is a glingleglingleglingle noise and that creature comes into existance. Finally, some smart person who's wondering where the noise comes from says, I bet there's a fairy with bells making the glingleglingleglingle noise and hey presto, there is. That is me, the Glingleglingleglingle Fairy. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Some people prefer cupcakes. I for one care less for them.
GlingleglingleglingleFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2003, 01:08 AM   #417
Annalaliath
Shade of Carn Dūm

Annalaliath has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Annalaliath Send a message via Yahoo to Annalaliath
Sting

this is my character name. I would have used Myrddin but that is not Tolkien at all, and there is alot of other reasons. Annalaliath means the gift of laghter , anna meaning gift of and laliath is laughter.
Old 04-04-2003, 02:24 AM   #418
sigrid

Sting

Well, Sigrid is my real name. As I happen to live in Northern Europe, my parents just chose an ancient scandinavian (viking) name for me. Sigrid means Shining Victory in english as I recall. I“m quite pealsed with my name, actually, no need for aliases. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] On the other hand, its not very tolkien-related I quess...
Old 05-17-2003, 11:40 AM   #419
Sillabub
Wight

Sillabub has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Sillabub actually isn'y from middle earth... she's not even from any of the races mentioned in any of the books. In fact, Sillabub is the name of a Jellicle. Now everyone knows what a jellicle is right?...(who am I kidding?)oh, fine. Jellicles are cats from the musical CATS, composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Sillabub is (at least in terms of my name) another name for the kitten Jemima. My current avatar is a picture of Jemima from the movie.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:35 PM   #420
Ophelia
Wight

Ophelia has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Well if you know who Ophelia was tahn you are not far from knowing the legend of me nickname .
Old 06-11-2003, 11:39 AM   #421
Tarien Ithil
Shade of Carn Dūm

Tarien Ithil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My nick means "Moon Princess" in quite incorrect Elvish but anyway.... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Crickhollow
Tarien Ithil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 11:49 AM   #422
Corwyn Celesil
Haunting Spirit

Corwyn Celesil has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The story behind my name is rather long and complicated. Had I been male rather than female, my father wanted to name me Corwin after a character in one of his favorite books, Nine Princes in Amber. Corwin wore black and silver, including a silver rose. I made Corwin into a female name, Corwyn, which actually has a meaning (Ring Maiden), and translated Silver Rose to Celesil.
Then came there from the south of the city the people of the Fountain, and Ecthelion was their lord, and silver and diamonds were their delight; and swords very long and bright and pale did they wield . . .
Corwyn Celesil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 12:17 PM   #423
Idunn
Pile O'Bones

Idunn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm fond of mythology in general. That's why I chose the name of the Vikings' godess of spring. I simply like how it sounds...I don't especially like the character. In fact, I haven't found much about her in sources available for me.
Old 06-14-2003, 12:48 AM   #424
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Ring

I've always been interested in Gollum, and really Gollum is the reason I became interested in LOTR. I started with just reading the riddles in The Hobbit; which then lead me to read the whole chapter, since I enjoyed the riddles. I liked that chapter so much I read the book, and then it went on from there. So really my LOTR obsession really started with Gollum, and one of the reasons I like Gollum so much was because of him always saying "my preciouss". And so thats where the nickname comes from, the saying that started my interest (plus a couple more Y's.)

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 12:48 PM   #425
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Initially my nickname to be Aredhel Finuchil, since it is the name of my alter-ego in Middle-earth. She is the daughter of Gil-galad, and the granddaughter of Celegorm (on her mother's side, don't ask).

But on most of the other forums that I'm on, I'm Aredhel, so I decided to change things around a bit, and be the original player, Finwė!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fėanor, and there he slew Finwė King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwė alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 04:32 PM   #426
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I just realized I never posted here.

I chose MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie beccause I figured most people would choose Middle-earth names. That's just fine, but it can be repetative and stale. If you have an odd name like mine, it's sticks out in your mind, and people remember me easier. MLD represents something with me and my friends. It's pretending like we're a gang. We have a rival pretend-gang too. It's actually quite hilarious some times.

I chose Grounds-Keeper-Willie because I love the Simpsons. I believe it is the best show ever. I like so many characters on the show but I can only choose one. I don't really have a favorite, but Willie is sort of representative of myself. He's Scottish, and I'm Irish, the two nationalities are very similar. I admire Willie. He has a low paying job and he is low on the social ladder, yet he holds true to his heritage and struggles to succeed in America. He's obviously an immigrant, and one episode proves it. He sticks up for Uter, who isn't actually an immigrant, he's an exchange student. And there's much much more about him than you might think.

Anyways, that's how I ended up with the name. I shouldn't have put all the hyphens in it. It would look better as MLD-GroundskeeperWillie, but hey, I'm not complaining. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 04:49 PM   #427
soul_of_the_rose

Tolkien

Mine isn't exactly Tolkien, and I probably couldn't remember it if I had an Elvish name, so I chose this. It's from a Tennyson poem, Maud (see signature), and I thought that phrase was too beautiful to pass up. Also the title of a favorite painting of mine inspired by the same poem.
Old 06-15-2003, 06:18 PM   #428
Phoenix
Pile O'Bones

Phoenix has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Phoenix
Sting

Well, I picked Phoenix because I took a quiz and it came back that I was a phoenix god, so I use that on a lot of things. If I picked a lotr name though, it would be Nessa. My real name is nessa and Nessa is a goddess in The Silmarillion.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 06:48 PM   #429
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynė

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

My nick, Maikafanawen, is my full name (first, middle, and last) translated on the Barrow Downs Name Translater thingy. I was playing around and just liked it so ... I used it on the forum. I looked up its meaning and it translates to be:

Sharp = Maika-
Veil = -fana-
Maiden = -wen

I don't know what that means but its my name. Did anyone else use the translater for their name? Did you translate it into its english meaning? Does yours make sense??

-Maikafanawen
Old 06-15-2003, 06:54 PM   #430
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I chose Horse-Maiden of the Shire. I chose it because I love horses. They are the most beautiful, noble, and athletic creatures I have ever seen. The other reason I chose it was because I am a hobbit fanatic. Hobbits are my favourite species in the LotR, and I am a hobbit. I even have an excuse. When people say, "No you're not a hobbit! You're too tall!" I say, "I'm related to Bullroarer Took, a.k.a Bandobras, and he was so tall for a hobbit that he could ride a horse." That also fits in nicely with my RPG character, who is also a Took. But she is not abnormally tall.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 12:45 PM   #431
Dūrlossiel
Haunting Spirit

Dūrlossiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I chose Dūrlossiel because that's one of the names that the name generator on BD came up with. That and it wasn't chosen by anyone else even though I'm member #7000 and something.

EDIT: #7542 (a lot of something, huh?) [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ June 18, 2003: Message edited by: Dūrlossiel ]

Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend; inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
Dūrlossiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 07:04 PM   #432
mallorn

Silmaril

My nick name was given to me, well the one I go by on the forum. I actually have several nick names, but Mallorn was thought by my friend, Taxi (note Taxi is her nick name). We were chosing nicknames for this little anime thingy that has been in works for quite a while. Any ways, she is also a very big LOTR fan. She thought Mallorn would be great, so I am named after the great elven trees of LOTR. The Mallorn trees, but hey it is cool, because Mallorn means glittering gold. So I am quite happy with Mallorn
Old 06-17-2003, 10:19 PM   #433
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Sting

Tinuviel was taken.
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 10:28 PM   #434
-Hallanįrė-

Sting

My name is Quenya for "Tall Flame"
It fits my personality, fore I am tall and my friends say that there is a flame in my eye, I don't know ask them, they gave it to me. I also go by Narearan-Quenya"Flame-king". That is my AIM name. Hallanare is my most commonly used one.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:39 PM   #435
EvennStarr8
Pile O'Bones

EvennStarr8 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My favorite character is gollum but i wanted something girly so i picked this one, and the 8 is my favorite number.Since other peolpe had this name too i had to add some more letters.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:57 AM   #436
Menelhachwen
Pile O'Bones

Menelhachwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hi everybody!

Mine came from BD name generator, but I did so many tries that I can't remember the original name it came from!! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2003, 09:24 AM   #437
Golden Elf14

Ring

My nickname came from the poem "All that is Gold does not glitter" because I totally love the poem.

isn't that original? [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2003, 09:29 AM   #438
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Pipe

I took Olorin because it's Gandalf's name in Valinor, and Gandalf is my favorite character and Olorin just rolls of your tongue better.

By the way, does anyone know if it's possible for me to have it as Olórin instead of Olorin? I didn't find out there was an accent untill after I joined.
Old 06-21-2003, 09:36 AM   #439
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Quote:
I don't know what that means but its my name. Did anyone else use the translater for their name? Did you translate it into its english meaning? Does yours make sense??
There was a whole topic on this a while ago. Of course the generator isnt real- but it does come up with such pretty names. And some do make sense- mine translated roughly as Blessed Maiden of the Night. Not bad (no one say anything about ladies of the night!). There was another- who I forget- whose name translated as Fading Lady of the Weeping Willow. Beautiful. I would have had that as a PT.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:36 AM   #440
Trippo The Hippo
Wight

Location: somewhere with hippos that say jolly o and wear spectacles
Trippo The Hippo has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

The reason for my nick is just something my friend and I came up with one day. Trippo also has a brother named Flippo.