The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2008, 03:15 PM   #1361
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Noggin the Nog etc
Which Downer are you reminded of when you see this?
Old 12-12-2008, 08:48 AM   #1362
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
I assign chorale singing, and doing such a good job at it (or so others say) that even those who bested you in a competition think you should have won.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #1363
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Which Downer are you reminded of when you see this?
This one of course ..and for a long time if you follow the link.

Lommie as we all know is a Ping-wing which leaves only Greenie to place in the canon.....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:05 PM   #1364
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Not having to work on christmas day.

And for once not having my mom or dad, and anyone in my family having to work then as well.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:52 AM   #1365
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
The annual Oblation Run and Lantern Parade that herald the Christmas break. As I can't find an English website about those, I'll just say, the Oblation Run of the Alpha Phi Omega frat is done as a sort of protest for the "naked truth" to be heard... or seen, depends on how one sees it. The Lantern Parade, is, well, a Christmas and University Centennial-themed lantern parade. This year one of the themes is a freak show featuring costumes and props by the fine arts people.

Oh happy to have the Christmas break come!

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:41 AM   #1366
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420!

Having a fridge full, but not too full*, of festive foodie goodies. Mostly: beef, ham, smoked salmon, pork pie, five hundred sorts of cheese and of course, sprouts!

And looking forwards to filling up the corners with assorted pickles, satsumas, crisps, nuts, stollen, yule log and choccies...

*Because wasting stuff should go to Mordor. Get a freezer and store up your leftovers, and don't buy too much!
Old 12-25-2008, 02:08 PM   #1367
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
Having a fridge full, but not too full*, of festive foodie goodies.
Oh, agreed. I just realised one of the things - if not the thing - I like the best about Christmas is the food.

And by the way,
Merry Christmas everybody!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 08:57 PM   #1368
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Thanks.

Merry Christmas all!

EDIT: depending on timezones of course... Ours was yesterday.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:59 AM   #1369
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Cooking our Christmas dinner, and having every family member celebrating and eating.

Legal Madness.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:45 PM   #1370
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'd like to assign using on a positively zippy Vista-less laptop, preparing to finally continue playing that MMORPG.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:55 AM   #1371
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Penguins.

Hardly surprising from me, I know, but I just re-discovered that watching penguin videos and especially hearing Emperor Penguins' voices is just incredibly comforting and calming if you're stressed (or unhappy).
Old 01-14-2009, 04:29 AM   #1372
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
especially hearing Emperor Penguins' voices
"Good, my fellow penguins, goooood. Let us find young Icewalker and turn him to the Dark Side..."
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:59 AM   #1373
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Finishing a major assignment, looking at it, and realizing you did good work. It's one thing to get something done on time. It's another all together to finish with a few hours to spare, and like your work.

On to the next!
Old 01-14-2009, 12:33 PM   #1374
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Feeling that you did a good job at an exam and having the profesor agree with you.

It does not happen that often for me. . .

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:30 PM   #1375
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

The Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
"Good, my fellow penguins, goooood. Let us find young Icewalker and turn him to the Dark Side..."
I knew I was going to hear about that from you. *deep sigh*
Old 01-15-2009, 12:28 PM   #1376
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I'm so happy I can dance, my Eol-looking (long-distance) boyfriend is visiting on Saturday! Something very worthy of the Shire indeed! And a good break from YM and cell phone calls in the dead of night.

Legal Madness.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:02 PM   #1377
Vaine
Haunting Spirit

Vaine has just left Hobbiton.
It's probably been posted before, but I cba to search through 35 pages:

I assign Bliss.
Vaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #1378
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindale View Post
I'm so happy I can dance, my Eol-looking (long-distance) boyfriend is visiting on Saturday! Something very worthy of the Shire indeed!
Ooh, Lindale, I can sympathise that's very Shire-worthy indeed.

I assign my school. Those rare times I stop to think about it, I realise I'm in a brilliant place, because I cannot think of any other school anywhere that would combine good tutoring and good things on offer for both "normal" education and instruction in arts. It's just lovely.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #1379
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Speaking of school, I assign fourteen hours of uninterrupted sleep from school!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #1380
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I assign Keith Urban to the Shire! He just came out with a new song and I can't begin to tell you how many times I've listened to it! It's one of those songs that gets you pumped up when you start feeling down. Since I'm here, I'll just assign good music in general.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:49 AM   #1381
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I assign phonecalls out of the blue from old friends ..especially when they are to tell you that they will be in your area in the summer so you can spend a few days being an unofficial aunt to their 4 year old twin sons... I can't wait and am already gathering info on stuff we can do.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #1382
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Good game masters who really make the RPG and characters come alive. A friend of mine has a fabulous ability to create wonderful characters who eventually become legendary. Laughing all the time makes playing harder, but it's worth it.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:16 PM   #1383
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Good game masters who really make the RPG and characters come alive. A friend of mine has a fabulous ability to create wonderful characters who eventually become legendary. Laughing all the time makes playing harder, but it's worth it.
Totally seconded, and when talking of her and GMing, I'd love to assign people who dare to fling themselves into things, to make 120% effort and not wonder what others are thinking of them. It's especially admirable if it surfaces in someone generally a bit reserved, critical or conservative.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #1384
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I might not assign it, but I am sharing.

I am reading "Ringenes Herrer" in danish for the first time in some years and it is absolutely wonderful.
I was starting to get a bit sick of reading, after having read some heavy stuff for Uni classes and HoMe I for fun. . .

All the details I had forgotten, I can now picture as livingly as the letter from the bank that lies infront of me. It is however a bit challenging at times, by now I have gotten so used to the english names that I easily get confused by the danish ones. Of course not of the essential ones like "Herredet" (The Shire) and Hobbitrup (Hobbiton), but many of the family names are difficult and even places like Sidenĺ (Bywater) and Eskerřd (Esgaroth) pussled me for a short while.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:56 PM   #1385
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Lists

Neatly organized lists.

They are so lovely, laying everything out in such an orderly fashion, making it easy to see what's been done and what is still to do.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:52 AM   #1386
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Snow which both closes your place of work and makes everything look pretty.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:59 AM   #1387
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Snow! Proper snow in England. Two reasons for this, the first simply being that it's so pretty, and the second being the complete overreaction a bit of snow causes in terms of travel difficulties.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:25 AM   #1388
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I second Lalaith & Kath's assignation of snow and also assign seeing them two posting on the 'downs.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #1389
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Snow! Proper snow in England. Two reasons for this, the first simply being that it's so pretty, and the second being the complete overreaction a bit of snow causes in terms of travel difficulties.
Seconded completely. No school as well- today or toMorrow (I mean tomorrow ). I got something like 30cm in my garden, and over here that's a lot!
Old 02-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #1390
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
No school as well- today or toMorrow
Pfft nice for some. Actually there's something that can go to Mordor. All the secondary schools in my town, you know the ones with older kids who are able to actually make their own way home, closed whereas the primary schools stayed open. Bah I say ... I wanted to go play in the snow!
Old 02-02-2009, 01:47 PM   #1391
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Pfft nice for some. Actually there's something that can go to Mordor. All the secondary schools in my town, you know the ones with older kids who are able to actually make their own way home, closed whereas the primary schools stayed open. Bah I say ... I wanted to go play in the snow!
Hmm... That just seems like bad luck then.
Here, all the schools were closed.
And that goes quite well with your sig too.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:26 PM   #1392
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dűm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
I assign to the Shire being away for a long time, only to return and be amazed by and nostalgic of the topics presented here. and the unique smileys I havent found anywhere else
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dűr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:56 AM   #1393
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja91 View Post
I assign to the Shire being away for a long time, only to return and be amazed by and nostalgic of the topics presented here. and the unique smileys I havent found anywhere else
Oh, ninja! Wow, remember me? I recall the times when you were around and posting very frequently... when you came here first... is that two years ago?!? These were the newbiish times for me, oh nostalgy, how much has changed since then... eek. It's great to see you back!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:17 AM   #1394
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thumbs up

Ooh, now I can assign Ninja coming back (and Legate being funnily enthusiastic ).

But I also want to assign February, it's always been one of my favourite months. It's all snow and sunshine (and having my birthday there does not make it any worse ).
Old 02-03-2009, 09:06 AM   #1395
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
It's all snow and sunshine
Yeah seconded. This morning was one of the most beautiful I've seen in ages. I stepped out of the door and it was very cold and very white - snow and mist everywhere, early sunlight barely reaching the ground.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:26 PM   #1396
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dűm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Oh, ninja! Wow, remember me? I recall the times when you were around and posting very frequently... when you came here first... is that two years ago?!? These were the newbiish times for me, oh nostalgy, how much has changed since then... eek. It's great to see you back!
Of course I remember you, likewise with many of the other posters here who are still around -waves to thinlomien- Its good to be back, although my Middle-Earth lore has grown a bit rusty over the year
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dűr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #1397
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

I assign the month of February to the shire. So many historical figures are born in this month. It seems that everyday that I wake up I remember that it's some great president, soldier's, or statesman's birthday. Gotta love it!
Old 02-06-2009, 12:05 PM   #1398
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

And mine Groin! Though I'm not a historical figure.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #1399
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Not yet.. there is still time....

Old 02-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #1400
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
And mine Groin! Though I'm not a historical figure.
Yet another reason to celebrate the month of February!