The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-06-2002, 07:16 PM   #41
Cherie Centaur
Haunting Spirit

Cherie Centaur has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Now that I've thought it over, I've relized that it's the ensomble(I hope I spelled it right) that makes the books sooo great.

By the way, for all those Faramir fans, he IS my favorite human. That kind, romantic, semi-depressed outlook is to die for. I got jealous of Eowyn, I wanted to marry him(after Legolas, that is). [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2002, 10:38 PM   #42
dernhelm
Animated Skeleton

dernhelm has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I could never pick just one character as my favorite! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] But to try and narrow it down I would have to say that I liked Sam for his loyalty and true friendship, Gandalf for his leadership and wisdom, Legolas for his cool archery skills, Eowyn for her bravery, and Treebeard for his uniqueness. Also, after I saw the movie, I began to like Boromir, because I thought Sean Bean did such a good job of portraying his character on screen.
Old 12-06-2002, 10:42 PM   #43
Elvenglass
Haunting Spirit

Elvenglass has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elvenglass
Silmaril

So many to choose from...I like Eowyn,because she has a really strong character which is great and I like Faramir and also Sam, because he's so loyal and devoted. And also Frodo because he had to do so much throughout LotR. Pretty impressive. Well up until the end where he cracks...err i mean nevermind. Don't want to spoil the ending for those who haven't read the books. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-06-2002, 11:13 PM   #44
ava.luthien

Silmaril

Illuvatar first. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Gandalf's definitely the main man
(i love shadowfax), but Aragorn and Legolas are way cool!!!

I have no words for Luthien...

[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]null[/img]
Old 01-07-2003, 04:12 AM   #45
Donlammenion
Animated Skeleton

Donlammenion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For me it is a mix of two Bilbo and haldir Bilbo because he is as strong willed as any big character in the film and is AWESOME in The hobbit and haldir for being such a stereotypical Elf in the film coming to the aid of theodin and for dying with Grace (if you can call it that).
Donlammenion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 08:00 AM   #46
Garen LiLorian
Wight

Garen LiLorian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Garen LiLorian
Sting

I, also, was entirely captivated by Sean Bean's portrayal of Boromir. I always thought he sort of had a bum rap, dying like that, and the only member of the fellowship who really gets possesed, as it were, by the Ring. After all, in the end it would have claimed all of them.

The first few times I read the books, I liked Legolas (hey, I was young. He was cool) but since the movies have come out, Boromir has been steadily growing on me. So now he's my favorite. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
This is my quest, to follow that star; no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. To fight for the right, without question or pause. To be willing to march into Hell for a Heavenly cause! -Man of La Mancha
Garen LiLorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 10:52 AM   #47
Melime
Pile O'Bones

Melime has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
ps. am i the only person who likes the obscure characters?????
No, Meela, you arent. I myself adore Haldir, despite the fact that he doesnt appear to much or to long in the book. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Another of my favorites is Elrond.
Melime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 11:40 AM   #48
Peacepoet

Eye

I love most of the characters in the books. All have such a depth to them and it would be hard to pick one. I will admit, however, that I had never read the books before I saw FoTR and was intrigued with Legolas as portrayed by OB. But I have now read up to RoTK and could not pick a single one.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:49 PM   #49
Sindae
Haunting Spirit

Sindae has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I LOVE ARAGORN ARAGORN ARAGORN ARAGORN ARAGORN because he's just cool, a great man and he looks so hot, I admire Éowyn (in fact she's my favourite LotR character) because she's really brave...and in love with Aragorn, and I like Faramir since he marries Éowyn, looks good as well and is a great warrior like Aragorn. In fact I like everyone appearing in this book...except Legolas. sorry.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:59 PM   #50
gollum*elf*pup
Shade of Carn Dûm

gollum*elf*pup has just left Hobbiton.
My favourite good character would be Bill the Pony...but I really like all the evil characters. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] Evil, just like me. Gollum, Sauron, the Witch King etc. etc. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2003, 04:02 PM   #51
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Oooo, so many choices!!! Okay, some of my fave characters are:
  • Pippin [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
  • Frodo
  • Merry
  • Sam
  • Sauron
  • Legolas
  • Eowyn
  • Gollum
  • The Nazgul
That'll do for starters! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] FYI, that's in no particular order, except for Pip, who is now and always will be my all-time fave character!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wait, one more.........Aragorn. There. I'm done!
Old 01-11-2003, 11:50 AM   #52
Olaf Von Lichenstein

Sting

Im all for Haldir and Glorfindel. But I also love Legolas and Gimli. Haldir and Glorfindel are phenomenal
Old 01-11-2003, 12:19 PM   #53
LePetitChoux
Vegetable of Doom

LePetitChoux has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to LePetitChoux
Sting

Treebeard. He is and always has been my favourite character. He was awful in the film. I liked the other Ents, though, just not Treebeard. And Quickbeam! He was funny.

I was always jealous of Éowyn for getting the best man ever. I thought that Aragorn was kinda stuck-up at times, so he is not in my top ten list, let alone my favourite.
I'll shut up now.
Old 01-11-2003, 01:48 PM   #54
Frodess
Haunting Spirit

Frodess has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Does it have to be one character? Frodo and Sam, and Pippin, and sometimes Merry. I LOVE hobbitses! Sam, especially, is so brave. They give me hope because they're so little and they accomplish so much! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2003, 01:42 PM   #55
MYyyPreciousSS
Wight

MYyyPreciousSS has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MYyyPreciousSS
Ring

Let me be the first to say MERRY(as #1)!
I just love Merry and I love that he got to fight with Eowyn because she is another one of my favorites, I relate to her so much. Yet, of course there is also Gollum, which in my opion, is the most interesting character and is really the reason I started to get into LOTR, from reading the "riddles in the dark" chapter and loving it.
I guess it would go like this:
1.Merry
2.Pippin
3.Gollum
4.Eowyn
5.Treebeard
6.Frodo
7.Faramir
8.Legolas
...And, uh, I guess I can stop there. If I don't I'll end up saying everyone.

"My Preciousss" - the line that started the obsession.
MYyyPreciousSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 02:16 PM   #56
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I like Sam, and I have always had a fondness for Frodo, but maybe that is because I always felt so sorry for him that he had to give up so much, and how his life could have gone differently if this had not happened to him.
I also like Gandalf a lot, I think that he is probably my favorite charater in the book, because he is just everything. He does amazing things, he is kind of funny, he is just great [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2003, 02:35 PM   #57
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think I posted in this already, but I'll post again anyway. Here's my list:

1) Eowyn (because I admire her and relate to her)
2) Pippin
3) Sam
4) Merry
5) Frodo
6) Gandalf
7) Gimli (in the movie)
8) Tom Bombadil
9) Goldberry
10) Legolas (in the book)

[ January 12, 2003: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 01-12-2003, 02:56 PM   #58
LadyElbereth
Wight

LadyElbereth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

These are my favorites from the books...
1. Aragorn
2. Treebeard
3. Legolas
4. Faramir
5. Pippin
6. Merry
7. Boromir
8. Gandalf
9. Quickbeam (he is too cool)
10. Sam
11. Frodo

The movie....

1. Aragorn
2. Pippin
3. Merry
4. Gollum
5. Legolas
6. Boromir
7. Gimli
8. Gandalf
9. Frodo
10. Sam
11. Eowyn
12. Arwen

[ January 13, 2003: Message edited by: LadyElbereth ]
Old 01-12-2003, 04:23 PM   #59
lanrete
Pile O'Bones

lanrete has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Based on the books, my favorite character is Sam. How can you not like this guy? Everything about him is so endearing! He's faithful, courageous, hardworking, and has a good heart. IMO, Sam is the only character in which Tolkien has developed to the fullest. Other characters I like are Legolas & Gimli - yes, both of them. I believe if you like Legolas you must like Gimli too and vice versa. These two characters go hand in hand IMO. I just love how their friendship blossoms throughout the books. It's really quite touching to see them go from being hostile to being the best of friends. - Merry & Pippin are great too. They're not too interesting in the 1st book but their characters develop alot more in the later books, more so than Frodo IMO. Speaking of Frodo, he's the ONLY character with whom I didn't feel much connection. Dont get me wrong, I like Frodo in the movies(he's got so much more character) but Frodo in the books is well, to say the least, boring. He's suppose to be the main character but I don't feel like he's one. I have a friend who read the books and she too feels that Frodo(books) isn't a very likeable character. We even agreed that all of the characters are, at the least, mildly interesting... all but Frodo.
lanrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 04:37 PM   #60
Menelhachwen
Pile O'Bones

Menelhachwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hi everybody!

I have always liked the Fair Folk, but I can't choose only one, so it'll have to be Galadriel and Arwen, Morning and Evening.

About the human people, my favourite one is, doubtless, Aragorn.

And the hobbits... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] , well, they are OK, but I find the a little bit dull...
Old 01-12-2003, 04:58 PM   #61
maiden of the Shire
Pile O'Bones

maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi!
While I love the elves and am in complete awe of them most of the time, I have to say, for me the Hobbits are the heart of the Lord of the Rings. And Frodo in particular. There is something very noble and wise about him, and sweet and naive as well. I love his character all the more because of the sacrafice he made for Middle Earth. The hobbits are rather, in a way, the children of Middle Earth. There is something very appealing about their simple lives.
Old 01-12-2003, 06:10 PM   #62
Galenaeariel

Shield

For me it has always been a tie between Legolas and Aragorn... Both hot in the movie, but in different ways. Legolas looks so perfect, while Aragorn always looks beat and dirty, but still very easy on the eyes, and they both rock in battle. But then there's poor Frodo, so cute, and Pippin and Gimli are funny, Galdalf is admirable and cool, Boromir, I don't know why, I just love him, he tries... and Arwen is my favorite female character, she's pretty.
Old 01-12-2003, 07:59 PM   #63
maiden of the Shire
Pile O'Bones

maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Boromir for sure gets way to little credit. He's a great character, and also one of the few characters who is not entirly good or entirly bad.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:41 PM   #64
Iarbariel
Pile O'Bones

Iarbariel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iarbariel
Silmaril

First it was Legolas and Aragorn..but the more I read and see in the movies..well, I can't help but change my mind.
Haldir is my fave elf....and as for men, I have a dead race between Boromir (he is sooo human in every way) and Eòmer.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:54 PM   #65
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bilbo, both from the books and the movie. Ian Holm does a brilliant job with him. I just about cry everytime he appologizes to Frodo in Rivendell after going gollumy on him.

H.C.
Old 01-15-2003, 01:52 AM   #66
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Sting

I like Gimli in movie and book, he's just a great character I can relate to. I also like Eowyn, because to me nothing is more beautiful than a strong woman.
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 04:19 AM   #67
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Aragorn, Gandalf, Sauron, Pippin hmmm... there are too many. I don't particulary like Legolas, though he is O.K.The thing about LOTR characters that I started to admire them less after reading the Sil.

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 07:22 AM   #68
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

bump
Old 01-17-2003, 04:53 PM   #69
Taraithwen

Ring

1.) Legolas