The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2007, 07:10 AM   #41
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
My two favorites are "The Breaking of the Fellowship" and "The Great River". They are, to me, the two best out of all three movies.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:07 AM   #42
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
I absolutly LOVE Into The West, it has to be one of my favourite songs of all time. It is so beautiful, and it really speaks to you.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:48 AM   #43
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hickli View Post
Ah, then hearken to the good Professor himself singing Sam's troll-song to that tune...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=3

Notice BTW that JRRT slips easily into broad Brum instead of his normal Queen's English
I've just seen this. Nice link, cheers!

The tune is all English and I quite agree, Irish folk music is a very different thing and this is most definitely NOT Celtic! It's reminiscent of Martin Carthy's Rackabello too, which derives from a Hertfordshire tune.

I'm amused because this is that rare thing to me, something Tolkien says (yes, I know, he's singing, before you point that out, pedants...) which I can understand! I've never been able to understand a word he says normally - I don't speak RP/Queens English and I can't usually understand it very well if it's too 'far back', which is what Tolkien is.

Now there was a bit too much 'Celtic' stuff going on in the film soundtrack for my liking, although luckily Howard Shore mostly avoided it - it's in the songs that it happens sadly. My favourite song by a country mile was Gollum's Song (followed by the Billy Boyd one which was also decent), as I found the others a bit cheesy alas, a bit too much like that New Age stuff you hear in hippy shops The non-vocal tracks were splendid though and the soundtrack was one of my favourite things about the films. My personal favourite being Concerning Hobbits which seemed to pick up some of the English folk music phrasing you can hear in Vaughan-Willams's The Lark Ascending.