The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-12-2004, 01:54 PM   #121
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elladan and Elrohir
I started Fellowship and was COMPLETELY hooked. Mesmerized in the world of Middle-Earth. The only thing I skimmed while reading it for the first time was the Council of Elrond chapter, in which I was completely lost after about two pages of monologues. But I plunged forward, and, in less than a week, I had finished LOTR.
You are a person of my own heart, Elladan and Elrohir! I skimmed a few other parts such as the first chapter in my first reading, but never fear, I have gone back and re-read...

I also read Lord of the Rings when I was 12, three years ago but blissfully unaware of the films' almost imminent arrival about four months later. I read the hobbit several years before though, when I was in year three or four in primary school - so at about eight years old.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:24 PM   #122
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

elfearz1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elfearz1

It was only a few years ago. I was I think like 14 at the time.
elfearz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:48 AM   #123
Etharius
Animated Skeleton

Etharius has just left Hobbiton.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:15 AM   #124
Silent Sam
Pile O'Bones

Silent Sam has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree I was 8...

On my eighth Christmas, I recieved the whole LOTR hardcover trilogy including The Hobbit, from my aunt. She said I needed something new to read (I've read every book in my house at least 5 times over, and I read books that are much higher than my age level : Crime and Punishment, etc. I don't do it on purpose, I just prefer them over kids books... )

I finished them by the early summer.
--------------------
Beware of still people and silent watchers...
Silent Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 02:57 PM   #125
starkat
Wight

starkat has just left Hobbiton.
I'm a recent LotR fan.
starkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 08:11 AM   #126
samwise8504
Animated Skeleton

samwise8504 has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

i was about 16 when i read the lord of the rings and the hobbit but ive only just read the silmarillion
samwise8504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 05:04 AM   #127
Smeagol

White Tree

Hobbit~6

FotR (1st attempt)~7

FotR (2nd attempt)~9

TTT~9

RotK~9

Sil.~ 11

HoME~12

UT1~12

UT2~12
Old 05-08-2004, 07:32 AM   #128
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Silmaril

Lol, very detailed, Smeagol!
Old 05-09-2004, 04:53 AM   #129
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I was 7 when I first read the Hobbit and 8 when I read LotR. I read while I was at my grans so I must have finished it within two weeks, but my parents wouldn't believe me! They actually quizzed me on it to make sure I wasn't lying!
Old 07-09-2004, 10:29 AM   #130
Araréiel

Araréiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Sad, I was 21 when I first read The Hobbit, and 21 when I first read LotR-starting the day after the first one came out on DVD. *sigh* So much time wasted.

I know this is an old thread, but I beleive in giving children books and letting them decide for themselves when they are ready to read them. If a child glances at it and doesn't read it, then he's not ready. But he may pick up a book and devour it! Better to have that option available.
Araréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 11:33 AM   #131
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I agree with that. I read the Hobbit aged 8 or 9 after it was serialised on Jackanory (a wonderful programme but probably far too low tech for today when children are expected to maintain attention for no more than a nanosecond - an actor reading a book with a few drawings would probably not cut the mustard ) and loved it. So I was given the LOTR the following Christmas. Although I was a quick reader and reading books way above my age range, I ground to a halt at the end of the 2 towers - this was before I was old enough to appreciate Faramir and i have always found the endless slogging agross wastelands with Frodo, Sam and Gollum the worst bit of the book.... by the time I got back to Gandalf and Pippin at the beginning of ROTK I had lost the plot..... I went back to it about 2or 3 years later and happily escaped into middle earth for the rest of my adolescence.....
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 10:25 AM   #132
Pippin Pondlily
Animated Skeleton

Pippin Pondlily has just left Hobbiton.
I first read The Hobbit for school when I was in 4th grade -- so maybe 8 years old? Then I read the Lord of the Rings books the summer before 6th grade that would be about 10 years old then. I really enjoyed them even if I had some trouble with the vocabulary and immagery but I've read at least FotR annually since and parts of The Two Towers (my favorite of the 3) and RotK as well. But just recently I had to reread and analyze all three LotR books and I really got to appreciate the literature WHICH led me to this website.

I loved The Hobbit the most and I think that that is an excellent book to read to toddlers before bed or nap/kip time, I did to the little girl (4.5 years old at the time) that I babysit and she actually enjoyed it.

Happy reading eh?

- P. Pondlily
Pippin Pondlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 12:34 PM   #133
Alda
Pile O'Bones

Alda has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I remember doing a book report on the Hobbit in fifth or sixth grade. We had to use a shoe box and create a scene from our book inside. You would place the lid of the shoebox back on and peer inside through a peephole, the inside of the box being illuminated by one of those small white christmas lights. I don't think I recieved a very good grade, I wasn't (and am still not) very artistically inclined. But I was proud of my paper cutout of Bilbo stabbing a paper spider.

I read, and reread, and reread, the trilogy and the Silmarillion while in junior high. I discovered Unfinished Tales while I was in highschool. I remember being thrilled and kind of mad at the same time. I found the book at the library and saw that it had been published three years earlier. They had just gotten around to getting a copy. But seeing as I didn't even know it existed imagine my suprise.

I suppose it would be too much to hope that there might be another unfinished manuscript that Christopher Tolkien is busy editing at this very moment? A dusty sheaf of hand written notes recently found locked in a desk in the basement at Oxford? I dare not hope to believe in such treasures beyond the cellar door.

Last edited by Alda; 07-17-2004 at 12:49 PM.
Alda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 04:55 PM   #134
Himhenwen
Pile O'Bones

Himhenwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Himhenwen
White Tree

I don't rightly know when I first started to read the books. I had started the Hobbit and thought it was to slow for me. Then about four years ago my best friend told me that I should try again. I just finished the last book about six months ago. And I am rereading them all again.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:39 PM   #135
ninlaith
Wight

ninlaith has just left Hobbiton.
I believe I started reading The Hobbit when I was 13, only because I didn't even know we had the books, and started reading LOTR directly after.
ninlaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 09:05 PM   #136
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I found a copy of FotR in my house when I was around 12. I liked it but just couldn't get past the part with Tom Bombadil, simply because it moved so ..s-l-o-w-l-y.. Then I saw the first two movies and loved them, and decided to read the books. Since I already had a basic idea of what was going on, I found them a lot easier to read, and I loved learning about all the things not in the movies. I simply couldn't wait to find out what happened in the end, so I read RotK very quickly (and nearly went mad trying to not leak out spoilers to my friends!). I've become much more of a disciplined reader since I was 12, so I went and read the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales, and I'm currently reading the Lays of Beleriand. It's just interesting how differently I view the books now, because I now feel that I can really appreciate everything in them as opposed to being turned off to them because of the slow pacing. Long live Tom Bombadil!
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 01:16 PM   #137
Isowen
Haunting Spirit

Isowen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Hard to remember

I was 6 when I first read the hobbit. I was 8 when I read the fellowship of the ring, I was also 8 when I read the two towers, and I was 10 when I read Return of the king (it didnt take me two years to read the two towers though!\ ) and I read the silmarillion when I was 12, and I read them all in order, over and over again. I don't ever get bored of them! I read a chapter to my little sister every night before she goes to bed and she became attached to it, so on her 8th birthday, we bought her her own lotr books!
Old 08-03-2004, 01:19 PM   #138
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

I was a wee lad of 13 or 14 when I read the trilogy and here I am 3 years Later attempting(without luck) to read it a second time