The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-08-2004, 05:48 PM   #1
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril Say What?

Have you ever had a time where you were sitting around doing pretty much nothing, and you were listening passively to the people around you? Yes, I'm sure you have. Now have you ever had a time when someone said something and you REALLY hoped you misheard? For LotR relatedness, an example.

While watching RotK with my brothers last night, I could have sworn I heard my eldest brother say:

"Isn't that Frendo Maggot?"

Frendo, I ask you. Just what exactly is a "frendo" anyhow? You're thoughts...

Fea
Old 07-08-2004, 08:09 PM   #2
Fingolfin II
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Fingolfin II has just left Hobbiton.
Well my brother thought Frodo's name was 'Freddo' and was bagging The Professor for a good 15 minutes, before I showed him the book. However, he only abated for a minute or so, before going on to say what a stupid name Frodo was anyway, and why whould anyone in their right mind call someone Gandalf .
Old 07-08-2004, 08:11 PM   #3
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
One that happened to a friend:

We were writing random things on a whiteboard, and some other friends were in another room with the door between closed. One friend in the other room said "He's got hairy feet...He's a Hobbit!" and the friend with me started laughing because he thought she said "he's a hot babe".
Old 07-08-2004, 08:49 PM   #4
Araréiel

Araréiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

See, this is the type of thing I overheard. Instead, around here, I usually overhear, "The end of the world is nearing us! Sinners, repent!!" or "Now how to I get to that protest?" or something stupid about the stupid San Francisco GIants or New York Yankees. *shiver* I hate those teams!

The only over-hearing would be when I'd eavesdrop on my ex-cousins before stepping in to correct them, which usually led to an argument on why they are right and I am wrong, even when I showed them the book, which they, and manyother ex-relatives, seriously believed I had specially made with "wrong" facts to make my cousins look stupid. Like in my book is says Gandalf is Gandalf. I guess in theirs he's Gumball. Seriously. That's what they said. He's Gumball because Gandalf isn't a name, just something I made up! If you're sitting there wondering what the H***, join the club.
Araréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 11:18 AM   #5
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Silmaril

I was watching the Disc 2 stuff on RotK today, and probably because of my earache (I'm defective... sick again ) I could have sworn I heard PJ say something about "Faragorn". A mix between Faramir, Fangorn, and Aragorn, perhaps? I can see it now... a great, kind, powerful, merciful, loving, slow-talking, patient... tree.
Old 07-11-2004, 11:54 AM   #6
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well I remember a review of FOTR where the writer said "I am sure Cate Blanchett as Galadriel said 'I give you the light of Air India" LOL

And my sister, who has scorned my LOTR obsession for about 20 years until she saw Orlando Bloom ("you never told me elves were hot...") couldn't believe her ears when she heard part of the radio version when they rebroadcast it and heard the name Shagrat .... and that was real... a more innocent world

And while Frodo is a fairly silly name it beats Bingo....the original
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 05:32 PM   #7
One of the Nine
Haunting Spirit

Location: In my mind. What? Why are you looking at me like that?
One of the Nine has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to One of the Nine Send a message via MSN to One of the Nine
Sting

Well, I have no LotR mishearings, but I did hear this really weird thing in soccer practice. Someone was talking about one of our coaches, I think, and they said something about pulling out their nose hairs?!?!? They wouldn't tell me what they were talking about, but they said I didn't want to know, so I left it alone.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:44 PM   #8
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Quote:
"Faragorn". A mix between Faramir, Fangorn, and Aragorn, perhaps? I can see it now... a great, kind, powerful, merciful, loving, slow-talking, patient... tree.
Who also happens to be the King of Gondor.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:17 AM   #9
dancing spawn of ungoliant
Mischievous Candle

Location: So near to Russia, so far from Japan, quite a long way from Cairo, lots of miles from Vietnam.
dancing spawn of ungoliant has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to dancing spawn of ungoliant
On the last time I watched RotK I misheard one thing with the result that Gandalf got a new, very dreaded foe - The Bitch King of Angmar!
Old 07-23-2004, 05:17 AM   #10
ohtatyaro
Wight

ohtatyaro has just left Hobbiton.
Arareiel, how may your cousins be 'ex'? I mean, wife or husband can be ex, (or girlfriend, for that matter, *sigh), but cousins? I mean, even if it was your uncle who was divourced with your aunt (suppose?), cousins remain cousins?

I will stand corrected, of course, if the matter is more complicated than I see it
Old 07-23-2004, 07:22 AM   #11
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

Perhaps they were cousins by marriage (step-cousins), but the marriage didn't last, therefore those who were cousins, no longer are. I've got a situation like that.

However, if it doesn't apply to hearing weird ME-related things, please deal with it in PMs. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:12 AM   #12
symestreem
Face in the Water

symestreem has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Quote:
"Faragorn". A mix between Faramir, Fangorn, and Aragorn, perhaps? I can see it now... a great, kind, powerful, merciful, loving, slow-talking, patient... tree.
Who also happens to be the King of Gondor.
And Steward of Ithlien, with... three wives.
symestreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 09:45 AM   #13
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

Well I had been watching FOTR with my friend and he had to go so when he came bak I asked him where we left off. And he said "Where Gollum died." I said "Gollum?" he goes "Yeah you know Gollum the guy with the grey cloak and hat, jeez it's you're favorite movie and you don't even know who one of the chief charactors is!" of course I corrected him now he refuses to listen to any LOTR rantings I have
Old 07-24-2004, 12:54 AM   #14
ohtatyaro
Wight

ohtatyaro has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
However, if it doesn't apply to hearing weird ME-related things, please deal with it in PMs. Thanks
Sorry, I'll try to keep it Tolkien related from now on
Old 08-02-2004, 05:03 PM   #15
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

You are all aware of Saruman's famed line "Do you know how orcs first came into being?"... well, that line has now become "Do you know how ox first came into being?" in the world of Fea's Hearing. I also thought for a moment I heard Gimli exclaim "Ack! Pork blood." when sampling a bit from a leaf in Fangorn. Amazing how accents can mar the word 'orc', is it not?
Old 06-27-2009, 03:03 PM   #16
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
You are all aware of Saruman's famed line "Do you know how orcs first came into being?"... well, that line has now become "Do you know how ox first came into being?" in the world of Fea's Hearing. I also thought for a moment I heard Gimli exclaim "Ack! Pork blood." when sampling a bit from a leaf in Fangorn. Amazing how accents can mar the word 'orc', is it not?

I'm fairly certain that's just another stereotype of the Dwarve's roots in the Jewish religion, why else would he be offended by pork blood?
Old 07-09-2009, 08:15 AM   #17
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I always thought movie Boro said at the Council of Elrond: 'Not with 10,000 men couldn't even do this...' and just thought the scriptwriters accidentally wrote in a double negative.

But after putting on CC I realised it was 'Not with 10,000 men could you even do this...'

But my favourite was Eowyn in TTT talking about the wildmen...now she says: 'the wildmen burn as they go, rick, cot, and tree.'

I thought she said 'Rick Cottontree' and came up with an imagination of who this 'Rick' guy was and of course set him on fire in my head.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:47 AM   #18
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The modern day version of Edoras: horses, wind, rolling plains =)
LadyBrooke is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to LadyBrooke
My sister, for the longest time, thought that Frodo's name was Frito. I only realised this when one day I was talking about LotR and she looked at me and said, "You're weird. Your favorite book is about a frito saving the world." By the time she finished her sentence I was laughing to hard to correct her, which probably furthered her belief that I am mad. Even though she's the one who wanted to make a hat out of watermelon last night.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #19
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Maybe your sister has read Bored of the Rings?
Old 07-09-2009, 05:03 PM   #20
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The modern day version of Edoras: horses, wind, rolling plains =)
LadyBrooke is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to LadyBrooke
I wish. My sister hates LotR though, and will not come within 30 yards of anything to do with it of her own free will.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:46 PM   #21
Orofarne
Pile O'Bones

Orofarne has just left Hobbiton.
Sorry, no one knows me, but this is my ever-lasting shame. I saw the Fellowship movie before I read the book. But, if one hears people say things, one is liable to mishear them, and therefore think that Legolas's name is actually Legless, and that his mother named him that when he was born, and that he has in the intervening years grown new appendages. [wow, I think that was the longest sentence I have ever written] Please someone say that that's a common mistake and that I'm not completely doolally. I also believed fervently in Mr. Rick Cottontree, by the way.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:16 AM   #22
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

'Legless', 'Merry', that book is just an ode to getting drunk.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:04 AM   #23
Isabellkya
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Isabellkya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
No matter how many times I see/hear FOTR, and I've heard the line perhaps close to fifty times. When Gandalf 'finds' Sam outside Frodo's window and questions him about dropping eaves.. It always sounds to me that Gandalf is saying 'trimming the verbs?'.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:29 PM   #24
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I still hear Gimli offering the services of his ox. Every time. Just hitch 'em up and plow your way to Mordor.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #25
Ibrīnišilpathānezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrīnišilpathānezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Reaching back to the olden days of Ralph Bakshi's version... I went with a group of fan friends to see it when it opened in town, and all of us heard the same thing when Gandalf was trying to open the gates of Moria:

"Egg roll! EGG roll!!!"

Needless to say, we went out for Chinese food after the movie.

And maybe if they'd brought Gimli's ox instead of Bill, they wouldn't have had any problem plowing down the doors.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:38 AM   #26
Eönwė
Flame Imperishable

Eönwė is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwė is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwė is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sounds like you all need some "Elvis medicine".
Old 05-30-2010, 12:02 PM   #27
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Not so much a mispronunciation... but why does Aragorn's accent suddenly change at the Council of Elrond? "The ring has no otha' Mastuh'
Morsul the Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:54 AM   #28
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
But my favourite was Eowyn in TTT talking about the wildmen...now she says: 'the wildmen burn as they go, rick, cot, and tree.'

I thought she said 'Rick Cottontree' and came up with an imagination of who this 'Rick' guy was and of course set him on fire in my head.
I thought so for the longest time too! I always thought "Who's this Rick Cottontree Eowyn speaks of anyway?" I didn't recognise the name, and now I know why. Actually, I didn't get what she was saying until I read the bit of the book where 'rick, cot, and tree' are in a different order.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #29
sassyfriend
Wight

sassyfriend has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Lol!!!!!!
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 07:49 AM   #30
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I heard some passers-by talk about jewelry, and then one said "I think I have it in my pocket"...
Old 09-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #31
sassyfriend
Wight

sassyfriend has just left Hobbiton.
:d
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote