The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-15-2002, 06:24 PM   #41
Thingol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thingol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well Gandalf is a maia also, so maybe that will clear things up for your brother. The Istari, or wizzards, were are all maiar, incarnated into the form of elderly men, and sent to Middle Earth by the Valar.
Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.
Thingol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 07:17 PM   #42
Greyhame
Animated Skeleton

Greyhame has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Greyhame
Sting

Did Glamdring (Gandalf's sword) survive the fall into the chasm at Moria? If it did, that could explain how Gandalf defeated the Balrog without his staff.

Wait, when talking to Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli upon his return, he says: "Ever I hewed at him..." That would insinuate possesion of a sword, wouldn't it? I love it when I answer my own question.

Anyway, I used to be called Child of Eru around here, and now I'm back. Hi, everyone.
Old 06-16-2002, 04:44 AM   #43
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Silmaril

Welcome back! Have fun and post often
Old 06-16-2002, 04:48 PM   #44
akhtene
Shade of Carn Dûm

akhtene has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

To my mind wizards's stuffs were more like part of their being (and they were, well, magical beings themselves) than some material objects. This can explain why Gandalf kept his stuff while being a prisoner of Saruman, who would have probably taken it away if it could be done. But this is what Frodo saw in his dream in Bombadil's house:
Quote:
In the midst of the plain stood a pinacle of stone, like a vast tower but not made by hands. On its top stood a figure of a man... The figure lifted his arms and a light flashed from the stuff that he wielded. A mighty eagle swept down and bore him away.
So Gandalf escaped from Saruman with his stuff.

As for Gandalf's return after the battle with Balrog, he doesn't seem to have anything with him at all
Quote:
Naked I was sent back - for a brief time, untill my task is done. And naked I lay upon the mountain top... I was alone, forgotten, without escape...
He was then carried to Lorien where he "was clothed in white". Maybe there, from elves, he also got the new stuff (or the material part of it)

Anyway, how exactly did the wizards use their stuffs? Well, for walking, as a common weapon, as a torch; but what about purely magical purposes? Were any actions performed with the stuff to make magic stronger? Nothing comes to my mind, though I didn't search.
akhtene is offline   Reply With Quote