The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-22-2003, 04:05 PM   #1
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Which Faramir is best? Book or Movie?

First things first: NO ARUEING, FIGHTING, AND ABSOLUTLY NO TALKING ABOUT 'HOW TERRIBLE THE MOVIE FARAMIR IS' (I put that in to appease Noxumanus, who's post is down from mine about it). Pleeaase. I haven't started this to cause fights, I just want to no your opinion. So, WITHOUT any expaination (maybe 1-1.5 lines if you MUST), answer this question: Which Faramir did you prefer, the Book Faramir, or the Movie Faramir? Please don't take up a bunch of lines just to say you don't know. If you truly can't decide just put this: Undecided. I'll post the 'results' (as I always do) in about 2 weeks-1 month, depending on this threads popularity. <B>My vote goes to the Book Faramir.</B> <p>[ July 26, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 05:15 PM   #2
Noxomanus
Wight

Noxomanus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Please,don't ever start a thread like this again.Now everyone will tell us again why movie Faramir sucked,you know what they will answer so don't ask.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:38 PM   #3
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Noxomanus: Sorry, but there's a legitement enough number that likes BOTH versions of Faramir to warrant this topic. And I said in my original post that there WILL BE NO ARGUING, if that's not clear enough I don't know what is. Proceed. <p>[ July 26, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
Old 07-22-2003, 07:13 PM   #4
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Well I should imagine that virtually everyone will vote for Book Faramir, given the amount of flak that Film Faramir gets around here. But it's not really comparing like with like, for they are really two different characters in two different stories. Book Faramir is a wonderful character within the context of the Books. But I believe (for the reasons explained <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=002188" TARGET=_blank>on this Faramir thread</A>) that Film Faramir works well within the context of the Films.<P>So, that's a vote for each from me.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:38 PM   #5
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

This is possibly the worst place to ask that question. =P<P>Book Faramir, o'course.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 08:01 PM   #6
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

The X Phial has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Personally, I cannot fathom choosing the movie Faramir, so my answer is Book, resoundingly.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:16 PM   #7
Cinderella
Wight

Cinderella has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cinderella
Silmaril

Unquestionably, Book Faramir
Old 07-22-2003, 08:41 PM   #8
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Well I should imagine that virtually everyone will vote for Book Faramir, given the amount of flak that Film Faramir gets around here.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> True. But a lot of that flak comes from adament Faramir Movie dis-likers (I'm being nice ), like me & others. Anyway, I thought it'd be nice to get some straight answers from people on the subject, hopefully without all the ranting & raving (from both sides) that usually accompanies other topics on Faramir. <p>[ July 26, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
Old 07-22-2003, 09:59 PM   #9
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Hm. After much deliberation, I must say that movie Faramir was far superior.<P><BR> ,<BR>Iarwain
Old 07-22-2003, 10:32 PM   #10
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Even if I had liked Movie Faramir more, I'd still choose Book Faramir. And, if Movie Faramir had been Book Faramir, that means Movie Frodo could have been Book Frodo (or much closer to it!), and then all would be well! That's about as short as I can make it!<P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 10:44 PM   #11
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Hm. After much deliberation, I must say that movie Faramir was far superior. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I would have to disagree entirely. The movie Faramir was too much akin too his brother, and had no "Elvish" quality as it was described in the book. His choices paralleled his brother's (I am of the belief that Boromir repented of his efforts to get the Ring after Frodo ran away, much as Movie Faramir repented). The fact that the characters in the movie so closely resembled each other, in my mind at least, defeated Tolkien's purpose entirely.<P>This is perhaps the third or fourth Faramir thread I have responded to. They seem to keep popping up in the Movies section.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:25 AM   #12
Darby
Animated Skeleton

Darby has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Book Faramir!<BR>I guess I'll explain why in the other thread.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:02 AM   #13
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Shield

Thought so! <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> But a lot of that flak comes from adament Farimir Movie dis-likers <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The problem is that there are very few, if any, fans of the Books who would consider Film Faramir to be a more worthy and noble character than Book Faramir, even among those (like me) who like the Films and feel that Faramir's character in TTT works well. This is because Book Faramir manifestly is the more worthy and noble character.<P>But you are not asking which is the more worthy and noble Faramir. You are asking which one people prefer and my answer to that is I prefer Book Faramir in the context of the Books and Film Faramir in the context of the Films?
Old 07-23-2003, 10:07 AM   #14
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

I vote for Film Faramir, as he certainly seems more believable as a human being. But for all those out there who say that he is far different from the book Faramir, I give you the following (as I have already stated in my last thread.) <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>FARAMIR: I think at last we understand one another, Frodo Baggins.<BR>SOLDIER: You know the laws of our country, the laws of your father. If you let them go, your life will be forfeit.<BR>FARAMIR: Then it is forfeit. Release them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><p>[ July 23, 2003: Message edited by: Meneltarmacil ]
Old 07-23-2003, 10:07 AM   #15
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Movie, movie, movie, movie, movie. I despised the book Faramir.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:12 AM   #16
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Very good, lord of angmar, I agree utterly. <P>Iarwain
Old 07-23-2003, 11:54 AM   #17
Nehani
Haunting Spirit

Nehani has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nehani
Tolkien

Book Faramir. I don't know why PJ changed the character around so much. Now, it's like Gondor has a bad rep or something.<P>Nehani of the Forests

"The Way Is Closed. It Was Made By Those Who are Dead. The Way is Closed."
Nehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 12:08 PM   #18
Faramir Fan
Haunting Spirit

Faramir Fan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Book<P>Boromir died, and I thought cloning was illegal.
"A new character has come on the scene (I am sure I did not invent him, I did not even want him, though I like him, but there he came walking into the woods of Ithilien): Faramir, the brother of Boromir..." J.R.R. Tolkien, Letters No. 66
Faramir Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 02:18 PM   #19
Estella Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

Estella Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Estella Brandybuck
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Boromir died, and I thought cloning was illegal.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>My thoughts exactly.<P>Now don't me wrong, I'm not going to bash the movies (hey, the first movie was what got me into the books!). I understand why the changes were made. I understand, but didn't enjoy. Book Faramir just seemed so much more gentle and intelligent to me. Also, in the movie, it was almost like Faramir looked down on the hobbits as inferior beings, and I just can't see Faramir doing that... But hey, that's just my opinion. <P>The one thing that made movie Faramir tolerable for me was that he was played by a great actor. David Wenham's performance saved me from running out of the theatre in tears, and I have high hopes for him in RotK.
"But the Rohirrim sang no more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring away southwards." - RotK

Do you enjoy reading and writing LotR fanfiction?
Estella Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 03:34 PM   #20
The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Spectre of Decay

The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Squatter of Amon Rûdh is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via AIM to The Squatter of Amon Rûdh
Sting

My impression of the Faramir in the books was that he had a greater sense of what ought to be done. He was a more thoughtful and introspective character than his brother, which was why he took it upon himself to allow the Ring to pass on and did not try to take it into his keeping. I feel that the film portrayed him as a suspicious, small-minded and bureaucratic man, without the clear, decisive thinking that distinguished his literary counterpart. <P>Moreover his very motivation for trying to detain Frodo seems different in the books: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>[Frodo]'Then what would you have me do?'<BR>[Faramir]'I know not. Only I would not have you go to death or torment. And I do not think that Mithrandir would have chosen this way.'<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The film makes taking the Ring to Minas Tirith his motivation, which doesn't sit well to my mind with his respect for Gandalf's judgement.<P>I fail to see, Meela, what there was to despise about Tolkien's version of Faramir: he was clearly a very able commander, and he was certainly no coward; but he combined these soldierly virtues with common sense and decency. Perhaps you could enlighten us with the passages that led you to your opinion.<p>[ July 23, 2003: Message edited by: The Squatter of Amon Rûdh ]
Old 07-23-2003, 04:43 PM   #21
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

My knowledge of the books is very hazy, but from what I remember, which is very little indeed, Faramir did little more than to stop the hobbits, say hello, and let them pass. I'm obviously very wrong.<P>I found the film Faramir highly intriguing.<P>There is nothing wrong with the book Faramir. I just didn't take to him.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:58 PM   #22
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Meneltarmacil: Dear God, please don't bring that up. That will cause the very fights that I'm trying to avoid. A lot of people already replied to the 'redemption' of Faramir because of that quote on your thread. P.S. Meela, I LOOOVE your sig, although I just now noticed it... <p>[ July 26, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
Old 07-23-2003, 06:27 PM   #23
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Movie Faramir came as a surprise to me, to say the least, as I found him barely recognizable. But as Saucepan says, he is indeed a different character in a different story. <P>That said, my vote is for Book Faramir (and incidentally, Book Story) .<P>Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 07:24 PM   #24
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> P.S. Meela, I LOOOVE your sig, although I just now noticed it... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Thanks I made it up a while ago for a thread, and stored it away for future Denethor worship.<P>I know I seem like a fickle idiot, but I'm gonna say book Faramir has a certain attraction. I'm now torn between the two. No... I'm sticking with Mr. Movie Evil. I always go for the freaks and the evil guys. Why change the habit of a lifetime?
Old 07-23-2003, 07:31 PM   #25
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

Book Faramir... He was just... cooler... nobler... more heroic... more Faramir-like. Now let's just hope PJ redeems him in ROTK. And Meela, your sig is hilarious! I read it for the first time and laughed! I love it! (How do you come up with these things? Too much time on your hands?)

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 07:38 PM   #26
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Now let's just hope PJ redeems him in ROTK. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I have every confidence that it will all turn out just peachy in Rotk. I'm especially looking forward to romantic Faramir in the Houses Of Healing.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> And Meela, your sig is hilarious! I read it for the first time and laughed! I love it! (How do you come up with these things? Too much time on your hands?)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Most likely I have nothing better to do... And thanks! I love my sig too It's this sort of time when you wish the "Who's Got The Best Signature" thread open... I've had a lot of people tell me they love it, even people who have no idea who Denethor is.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:41 PM   #27
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I'm especially looking forward to romantic Faramir in the Houses Of Healing.<BR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Me too! Very much indeed!

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 07:48 PM   #28
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I'm especially looking forward to romantic Faramir in the Houses Of Healing.<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I found Eowyn much more intriguing in this part of the book, since she was the one who had to come around and escape the dark cloud; it will be interesting if the movie does a clearer job of showing Eowyn's process of casting off the darkness and embracing Faramir and the light he offers her! <P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 08:42 AM   #29
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Meela on her sig: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I've had a lot of people tell me they love it, even people who have no idea who Denethor is.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Strange, part of what makes it so funny to me is that it all ties into the events in RotK! <BR>
Old 07-24-2003, 09:01 AM   #30
Mariska Greenleaf
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mariska Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love book-Faramir<BR>I hate movie-Faramir
Old 07-24-2003, 09:26 AM   #31
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think the question is premature. We have yet to see the RotK Movie Faramir, so we are judging on partial evidence. So despite the fact that all evidence is not in,I will vote for the Book Faramir...<P><I>--warning my opinion below--</I><P> ..since he <B>is</B> Faramir, and PJ's is an abberation that only came into existence because of a strange confluence of millions of dollars, widespread exsposue and enormous ego to 'better' the LotR.<p>[ July 24, 2003: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 11:54 AM   #32
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

That's okay lindil, although I suggest that you could just post your vote & then say you'll post your explaination for those who wish to read it in Meletarmacil's thread called 'Faramir'. That'd work just as well, or close to it. <p>[ July 26, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
Old 07-24-2003, 01:12 PM   #33
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

I vote for Book-Faramir, of course. I think, anyone who knows the books well, will do so.<BR>Meela who voted for Movie-Faramir wrote: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>My knowledge of the books is very hazy, but from what I remember, which is very little indeed, Faramir did little more than to stop the hobbits, say hello, and let them pass. I'm obviously very wrong. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> That's just the point! The conversation of Faramir with the hobbits stretches over 3 chapters! But if you don't remember that.... <BR>I will refrain myself from saying more, Lindil already wrote exactly what I think.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:59 PM   #34
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

Three chapters?? Are you sure? Of course you are... you've read it... Well, either I'm going blind, stupid, or I fell into a coma whilst reading, because I do not remember seeing that much.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:32 PM   #35
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Faramir chapters are sublime, especially after the hobbits endure the Emyn Muil, the despair of the Black Gate and journeying with Gollum.<P>Even more than with Aragorn we get to see the nobility and wisdom of Men, before Farmir they are obscurely buried away in Aragorn for the most part. Faramir fleshes out that which was previously hinted at.<P>The movie dispenses with all of this to gives u... I'd better stop now<P>oh and or Estel, I have edited my vote as per your suggestion.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 06:06 PM   #36
lore_master
Wight

lore_master has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

duuuhhhhh!!!!!!, book farimir is way better, he is supposed to be noble and kind, but they made him just like his father and brother mean and ugly<P>meanie pants
Old 07-25-2003, 04:59 PM   #37
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

The book, the book, definantly. In the movie Faramir was made out to be a character that became corrupt upon seeing such a prize as the ring. In the book, he was a noble man with legendary self control; a great contrast between himself and his brother Boromir.<P>There's my 2 cents.<P>Himaran
Himaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 07:24 PM   #38
Maeglanthirion
Animated Skeleton

Maeglanthirion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Maeglanthirion
Tolkien

Book Faramir, definately. In the books, he was clearly much stronger mentally than Boromir. He is much more noble and kind than the weaker Boromir. The movie made him almost opposite than him in the book. My vote is for book Faramir!
"I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come, when the courage of men fails, and we break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. This day, we fight!..."
Maeglanthirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 07:53 PM   #39
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

I love the Book Faramir, though while I was rereading RotK, I was imagining movie Faramir. I can't wait to see him doing the book Faramir stuff in the movie.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 08:11 PM   #40
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Book Faramir<P>I choose him because for me he was a charater that I actually cared about because of the way he acted. In the book he wasn't exactly nice, but then he wasn't exactly as mean as he was in the film. In the movie the charater was terrible, and I personally think that they took unecessary changes. The book Faramir could have fit in fine into the film, but I guess PJ did not think that this section of the book had enough drama or something like that.<P>Though I may have a different opinion though when the extended edition. He is a charater that I really want to care about though.