The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2005, 10:43 PM   #41
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Do you ever go read your oldest posts and cringe?
Three words: All the time. I hate reading some of my own posts where I was so harshly critical of not only the LotR changes, but also some pretty nasty lash-outs at other BDers . Ever time I read a post like that, my face goes red... .
p.s. dispite the embarrassing posts, I rarely delete them (unless they're offensive & should've been deleted long ago), because they serve as good reminders...
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 05:33 PM   #42
Assasin
Wight

Assasin has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I had one post that I wrote, like, at 3 in the morning and I was really tired. It was pretty bad. I was really snappy. What was even worse was, people commented on it. (Bad comments.)
Old 02-01-2005, 06:18 PM   #43
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Ah embarrassment... It happens so often. My most recent public one was here, when I was overly-cocky and got put in my place mighty quickly by The Saucepan Man. It was then followed by a private semi-embarrassment when I tried to get the phantom to pity me and he told me not to expect any pity because I was cocky and deserved what I got. Haha. But since my ego got out of control and needed flicking down, I didn't even delete the post. Feel free to laugh at me.

Fea
Old 02-01-2005, 06:28 PM   #44
Assasin
Wight

Pipe

I can't laugh at you when I've done worse.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:35 PM   #45
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Silmaril

Yeah, but Assasin... you read his response, right? Wow... I got a square kick right to the ego.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:01 PM   #46
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
That's not so bad, Fea... at least you dared to hazard a guess in that thread and provided a decent explanation, whereas I just stare blankly and wish I could figure out the cryptic clue.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 08:32 PM   #47
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

Ah, but Encai, at least I can get some revenge with the screen name quiz. The phantom and I seem to be dominating currently. Some of those names are just plain mean. I just wish I hadn't been quite so full of myself...
Old 02-02-2005, 06:22 PM   #48
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Most of the embarrasing moments that were made were back in the day when we were Newbies.
So of course I made a mistake in one of my first few posts.
Since I was still learning about the LOTR actors and other trivia about the movies I wasn't fully informed about some facts.
I don't remember completely what the subject was, but it was something along the lines of which actor is the worst? Or which actor didn't fit in the movie.
I incorecctly stated that Hugo weaving looked like an American lost in ME. One of the senior members immediatly pointed out to me that he was Australian. I remember feeling VERY embarrased because I had been so confident when I had made the statement. Even now I feel extremely embarrassed.
So I made a policy, don't revisit your old posts cause you know you'll cringe.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:51 PM   #49
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
aye...newbies...but now i'm the slick Gil-Galad
Old 02-04-2005, 11:14 AM   #50
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots Another confession

I remember when someone had started yet another 'Who were the Istari?' thread and I actually tried to give a good answer instead of ignoring it and waiting for it to be closed and deleted. I felt rather idiotic afterwards.

Come to think of it, judging by the quality of my early contribution, it would have surprised a couple of established Downers to see into the future and note that this newbie would last so long. How did he manage it?

Captions and bribes.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:47 PM   #51
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
White Tree An Update

Being an interesting conversationalist must help a little, Eomer.

Thought you guys might be interested in learning about Sophia's newest self-humiliation. Or rather, what might be called a continuation of the old: See posts 441-444.

Almost three years dead and I still can't do anagrams!*blush*

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!

Last edited by Sophia the Thunder Mistress; 02-04-2005 at 12:52 PM.
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 02:13 PM   #52
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Lashings with the Cat O' Nine Tails for all of us....
Old 02-08-2005, 02:15 AM   #53
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dűm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
White Tree

*blushes* I got slightly drunk one night and posted the 23794629.98th Balrog Wing thread...in the Books forum.

I still feel really stupid about that...

Edit: Encaitare, I'm loving your avatar. I use those pictures of Hugo Weaving on MSN to make Luthien cringe. Try it, it's amusing!

BTW, did you know that one of the Priscilla guys is in Electra? I'm not saying who because it'll ruin the surprise.

Last edited by Morgul Queen; 02-08-2005 at 02:19 AM.
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 02:40 PM   #54
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thanks, Morgy! No, I did not know that.. I have no plans to see Electra however, so I'll just look it up on the IMDb.

To stay on topic.... yeeeeeaaahhh, about some of those older posts.... wow.

And this one time I kind of mixed up these dates, forgetting to convert to Shire-Reckoning or Not Shire-Reckoning, or something, and was corrected by Esty. Not at all meanly, of course, but I did feel rather silly.

People seem to think I have my uses now, though. *prods shiny jewel*
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 03:38 PM   #55
DarkRose
Wight

DarkRose has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to DarkRose
Oh dear. There've been many embarassing moments for me during my stay at the Downs, some more memorable than others..

When I was just a wee newb, I tried to go around pointing out details and bits of info and answering questions when I really wasn't even sure of the answers. :P One such incident was when I mistakenly (and smugly) told someone that Gandalf does not touch the Ring when he throws it into the fire, but rather swats the envelope containing the Ring in. Well, the discussion was about the books and not the movie, and Estelyn graciously pointed out my error. It was embarrassing, but I learned not to answer others so brashly!

Also, one of my first posts on the 'Downs was titled "SHELOB!??!" with content something like "OMG, lyke, is Shelob gunna be in TTT or NoT?!!?!" Needless to say, it wasn't exactly the best way to make a good first impression. Oi vey. The shame!

In retrospect, I see that I've made many moronic posts and generally acted idiotically in some instances, but I can only learn from past embarrassments and act properly from here on out. :P
Old 02-11-2005, 01:38 AM   #56
Assasin
Wight

Ouch, Feanor! I just read the reply, at least you covered up for it fairly well..... I would probably have just ignored the thread.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:51 AM   #57
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

Quote:
I would probably have just ignored the thread.
Ah, but what you fail to realize is that even though I've looked in on the thread, I'm generally terrified to try again. Haha. My ego, although stronger than most, can only take so much bruising.

Fea
Old 02-11-2005, 11:29 AM   #58
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Originally posted by Fea:
Quote:
Ah, but what you fail to realize is that even though I've looked in on the thread, I'm generally terrified to try again. Haha. My ego, although stronger than most, can only take so much bruising
Lol, if I did that I think I'd be only looking in & not posting on pretty much the entire forum!
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 04:13 PM   #59
Milord Aldagrim
Pile O'Bones

Milord Aldagrim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Milord Aldagrim
I remember one time, when I was here a few years ago as Aldagrim Proudfoot, I responded to the wrong person. They had similar names and I think they were married, but I think I insulted her.
Milord Aldagrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 03:10 PM   #60
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I believe that a certain false report which was corrected today takes the top prize as the most embarrassing moment for BDers in general.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:30 PM   #61
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

I think you might be right, phantom.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:34 PM   #62
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Thumbs up

I don't think that anyone who responded to that story with a good heart and honest intentions should be embarassed about his or her part.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:52 PM   #63
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eomer of the Rohirrim
I remember when someone had started yet another 'Who were the Istari?' thread and I actually tried to give a good answer instead of ignoring it and waiting for it to be closed and deleted. I felt rather idiotic afterwards.

Come to think of it, judging by the quality of my early contribution, it would have surprised a couple of established Downers to see into the future and note that this newbie would last so long. How did he manage it?

Captions and bribes.
Eomer, sometimes I check out those 'answers to obvious questions' just because it's interesting to see what the newbies who respond, do say. Sometimes it's a pretty quick indicator of whether they are on the ball or not, whether they know M-E or not.

My vague impression was that you got off to a pretty fair start.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:47 AM   #64
Rilwen Gamgee

Rilwen Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My most embarrassing B-Ds moment(s)? Read my first few...50 posts or so, and you won't have much trouble finding them; most of which were posted in the You Know You're Obsessed with LotR When... topics. (I don't bother deleting them, because some of them are somewhat amusing to read! ) It was in one of them that I posted a comment that has haunted me for about a year.

In some random post of mine, I wrote that my mom wanted to make a "SAVE THE ENTS!" t-shirt; Ainaserkwen posted that she already made some and attatched pictures of them to her post. Out of plain-and-simple newbie-confusion, I replied by stating that I had not asked to see the pictures, but that I liked them anyway (which I did, and still do; they were quite nifty). I soon realized the rather rudeness of my post. So, I would like to apologize for my actions: I'm sorry, Aina.

Quote:
I believe that a certain false report which was corrected today takes the top prize as the most embarrassing moment for BDers in general.
Quote:
I don't think that anyone who responded to that story with a good heart and honest intentions should be embarassed about his or her part.
Can't we simply be glad that she is now alive, indeed? Why would we be embarrassed if we should be relieved? I, for one, am certainly not embarrassed.

Last edited by Rilwen Gamgee; 02-27-2005 at 12:53 PM.
Rilwen Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:13 AM   #65
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

Not necessarily for us, but more for Crystal Heart. It has to be rather shocking to come back and learn that you're dead.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:40 AM   #66
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
Not necessarily for us, but more for Crystal Heart.
Bingo. That's what I meant.

The poor dear definitely has us beat in the embarrassment department.

I hope the nice "eulogies" people wrote for her are helping her get over it.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:23 AM   #67
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Boots

Thanks Helen! *wipes away tear* So kind.

But I think I still have embarrassing moments all the time. Like when I go off on an absurd tangent (usually with Mithalwen - bad influences on each other) and get told off by a moderator. A ridiculous 'newbie' thing to do, of course.

There are times, though, when you just feel embarrassed for other people. Like when you're reading an old thread and smack in the middle of it you'll come across a post that goes something like "Legolas was WAY better than Aragorn LOLOL!!!!!" That's just a terrible thing to face.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:26 AM   #68
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
There are times, though, when you just feel embarrassed for other people. Like when you're reading an old thread and smack in the middle of it you'll come across a post that goes something like "Legolas was WAY better than Aragorn LOLOL!!!!!" That's just a terrible thing to face.
You're right, that IS terribly embarassing. Truly cringe-worthy. I mean, come ON ppl, anybody with half a CLUE would know for a fact that Roggie of Morgoth was the hottest of all. Sheesh.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:49 PM   #69
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
But I think I still have embarrassing moments all the time. Like when I go off on an absurd tangent (usually with Mithalwen - bad influences on each other) and get told off by a moderator. A ridiculous 'newbie' thing to do, of course.
Meh. I do this all the time too. And let me tell you, it makes me feel embarrassed, and then I go and do it again.

But anything anyone posts in their early days is more likely to be slightly embarrassing, so in my eyes, it's not really embarrassing at all. That's why I'm particularly impressed when new members make amazing posts.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:21 AM   #70
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril This would be confusing...

I feel embarrassed that I felt embarrassed for (privately) falling for the Crystal Heart joke. And even telling my brother Nilpydude about it.

Didn't get it? Read again.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:19 PM   #71
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Should I be embarrassed because I am not embarrassed by going of at a tangent? I get annoyed when I go widely OFF TOPIC - especially if it is because I have let someone wind me up, but I have no shame regarding Tolkien related flights of fancy eg "Did Bill Ferny die?" and the digressions on Isildur's hair/Hare.. sometimes you come across these quirky little threads that need to be a chance to stretch their wings .... and I think it is a shame we have had our wrist slapped for taking our designations too literally in "Reputations". While, I know I err on the side of froth and bubble, and feel I should make more effort with the serious stuff, ~ I would not come so much, if at all if it were all deadly serious. And with that I am off to change my sig.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 02-27-2005 at 02:39 PM. Reason: sp /syntax
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 02:36 PM   #72
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
... and I think it is a shame we have had our wrist slapped for taking our designations too literally in "Reputations" ... I would not come so much, if at all if it were all deadly serious.
The way I see it, there is a big difference between humorous on-topic posts and banter which reduces threads to little more than an excuse to chat. The Reputations thread, which was originally intended as a place where people could raise questions about the Rep system, descended quite significantly into the latter. I have no problem with the occasional "off the cuff" post, but moderators would not be doing their duty if they did not step in when this becomes execessive. Without the guidelines which have been established here being observed, the on-topic humour and serious discussion would be lost amidst the "froth and bubble" of chat.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:49 PM   #73
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well, OK , but, it is not helpful to be told to run along to the chatroom when timezones provide an insurmountable issue. The Coming of Age club is a more gossipy environment but effectively it means that you can only be sociable with those of your own generation. And so it is harder not to stray. And so once again I go off topic............... Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Old 02-27-2005, 02:57 PM   #74
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
There are plenty of other members in or near your time zone, Mithalwen - and some of them are in the chat room...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 03:01 PM   #75
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
There are plenty of other members in or near your time zone, Mithalwen - and some of them are in the chat room...
I went there once and they were listing vegetables...I swear.... and it is not really a conscious desire to chat as ....... oh never mind.... I have "a glib tongue which will talk ...(me) to the gallows.." .. I am going to go before I really get embarrassed.....

Old 02-27-2005, 03:02 PM   #76
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Mithalwen, the chat room is "open" 24/7. There are many Europeans who hang out there; some younger than you; some older. Do you want to chat during work hours or in the evening? Or are you a nightowl? I'm sure you can find people there. Sauce manages to be there at the most amazing hours. Chat ebbs and flows, but try it out.

Oh, and introduce yourself to me when you come (in case you change your nick). I'm the Op called Bethberry.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:01 PM   #77
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Like Mithalwen I'm a bit known for going off topic too, (I have to add, I've always been the same, many hours spent in library corner at primary school for excesive chatter only delighted me as I got to read more books). So, the other day I had a 'nose' at this chat room thingy, but it did not seem to have any conversation going at all. So, not just for my sake but for the sake of staying on-topic in future, was I doing something wrong when it came up with just a list saying license type stuff? And do I need to use my screen name? New fangled things like that scare me when they dont seem to work right . I hope that makes sense, I'm heavily dosed up right now - I have a bad ear infection so am truly like a bear with a sore head. davem has dared me to say exactly what symptoms I have but that would be going off-topic again...
Old 03-06-2005, 10:43 AM   #78
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
The shame... The shame...

Ahem. Well. Er. How to say this...

This was in a Tolkien and Racism thread and I... er... misguidedly pointed out how I thought everybody evil came from the South or East. I was sent on a one way trip to Angmar and Thangorodrim (in two pieces) for my folly.

Last edited by the guy who be short; 03-06-2005 at 10:49 AM.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 04:40 PM   #79
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
As my original self, Hobbitlass, I had posted in One thing in common thread which is a game. I didn't know that players had 10 days to give answers, I was so annoyed that I gave the answer after only a couple of days. Rightly, people were annoyed and nicely let me know. Quite a shame really, it was one of my (very few) rather clever questions.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:04 AM   #80
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Something called 'TTT Movie Lovers Club'...

*crawls under a nice big rock*
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote