The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-18-2006, 09:38 PM   #1
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien Slow

I gotta say, this forum is going really slow lately...does it go through periods of activity and no activity? I love the boards, don't get me wrong, but you have to admit they are quite slow right now...
Old 07-18-2006, 09:50 PM   #2
Valier
Twisted Taleswapper

Valier is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Lots of game planning is afoot....Ever think about joining one? check out the Werewolf threads or a new up coming game called The Great Golden Hoard.
Valier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 10:30 PM   #3
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Maybe it's not the forums but your internet provider. And I really don't think that this is a thread that will be open long so don't be surprised if it gets the axe by one of the Moderators.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:40 PM   #4
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Sheesh Glirdy, no need to sound so harsh....however true it may be. .

I understand what Mat is trying to say. I myself have been wondering what is going on(or hasn't been going on). Everything is alot slower than normal....I would account it for the lovely weather that we have been having and people taking their vacations. I am sure that the forum will pick up in the coming weeks.

LOL....nice plug Val
Old 07-19-2006, 12:30 AM   #5
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Actually... I was right there with Glirdy when I first saw this thread... thought it had something to do with physical (erm... yeah...) speed. Possibly because I was waiting inordinately long for the next subforum to load while I waited.

But a lack of activity?

Well... maybe...

Speaking as a getting-more-involved RPGer, I feel like things are really moving, but I can see what you mean. But I wouldn't worry. Forums go through fast periods and slow, and strangely (or naturally) the time when people seem to have the least amount of time to spend here is... the holidays.

Only a few numbskull, no Life- diehards like us still stick around.

Besides... what is talking about it going to do? You can't FORCE people to post. Though you CAN blackmail them...
Old 07-19-2006, 07:47 AM   #6
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Yes it is holiday time, and many people are out enjoying this lovely weather! Plus there is no werewolf game on at the moment, so people don't have such an obligation to post. If you're in a game you tend to be on the Downs more often and perusing other threads while you wait for people to post so you post more yourself.

But yes as Form said, in the RPG world things are certainly speedy. Perhaps you could join one Mat?
Old 07-19-2006, 08:03 AM   #7
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
You know, watching the Peter Jackson's trilogy on DVD in an air-conditioned room with a cool drink could be a great summertime activity. You then would be able to post in the SbS.

Note that the activity at the Downs is surely seasonal, though I have no real numbers or graphs to back that up. One way to increase activity is to post. Now, I know that that sounds obvious, but sometimes what you need to do is add to the discussion, and that something that you've written catches another's eye, and then s/he responds, then someone else jumps in...

Like what's going on in this thread.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:17 AM   #8
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Alatar, this is true, but I have been posting many topics lately that I thought were worth noting or discussing to little replies...(one has 0 replies!) but I'm sure like most have said it's a seasonal thing. I'm not into RPGing, so I'll be around looking for some activity!
Old 07-19-2006, 11:01 AM   #9
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Matthew, summer time has two possibilities as far as posting is concerned: some members have more time during break/vacation and post more frequently; others are away travelling or trying to beat the heat somewhere cool. The latter is the case for many Europeans right now - it's unusually hot here!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:30 AM   #10
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewM
I gotta say, this forum is going really slow lately...does it go through periods of activity and no activity? I love the boards, don't get me wrong, but you have to admit they are quite slow right now...
I think it is partly the summer - I am not on holiday but the garden provides a lot of work at this time of the year and an attractive option for a Brit enjoying a precious hot summer ... if I had Wi-fi and could sit in the garden with a laptop adn a chilled drink that would be perfect. I have every intention of giving books some attention and have some thread ideas of my own but at the moment RPG, ME idol and the quiz room all have prior call on my time as well a backlog of interesting PM correspondence. It happened last year too I think so bear with us and it will come good I am sure

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:48 PM   #11
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tolkien

Sounds good.

Hey, just out of curiousity, are most of you located in the UK? I've seen that mentioned in a lot of posts. I went to England in May this year and I loved it...such a beautiful country that I want to see more of. One day! While I was there (for only a short week) I caught the Tolkien Exhibit with the work of Ted Nasmith in Moreton-in-Marsh. Truly amazing. Anyway, just wondering about that.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:31 PM   #12
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
According to Aman's list I think that most people are from the USA actually.

But thank you for complimenting our little country
Old 07-20-2006, 02:54 AM   #13
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
It's summer for most of you but for us here in this little archipelago we're already a month into the school year. Not that it matters.

It really depends on the subforum. Mirth and the RPGs are particularly active now, from my perspective.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:36 AM   #14
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Only a few numbskull, no Life- diehards like us still stick around.
No Life-diehards = RPers.

Numbskulls = Werewolfers.

Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 12:52 PM   #15
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
For me, there hasn't seemed to be that much to post on lately. Maybe someone needs to start an argument. Or maybe I'm just not noticing the possibilities for ranting and raving.

Anyway, I'm horribly busy at work and don't get the time to post like I used to, and this is coupled with coming home and it being boiling hot so not really always wanting to sit on the computer (or rather crouch over it on a coffee table, thus getting a bad back), coupled with the need to spend time attending to my garden, and a humungous pile of reading matter to be got through, and just being plain fatigued all the time right now with the heat and the brain frying work I'm doing all day that is far too complex for someone with no short term memory and a very poor concentration span! Plus my head is full of mad stories right now...

You get the picture.

But as soon as I find that really juicy ruckus I'll be wading right in.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:04 PM   #16
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Definitely slow. Perhaps what we need is another CbC thread - or even a 'Canonicity' That said, I'm not sure I'm up for a Silmarillion CbC at the moment.

Personally, I'm blank at the moment as far as thread ideas go. Of course, we've all read too much, haven't we? We can now answer any question about Tolkien's work & intentions straight off - someone will quote from the Letters, or HoM-e.

Don't you sometimes wish we could go back to when we just had LotR & TH & we could speculate on all kinds of possibilities & offer our own theories?

Of course, I recently started a thread on that ...
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:19 PM   #17
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I noticed the slowness as well.

I figured people were busy else where, or like me: Having some Ideas for threads, but to lazy to do anything about it.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:10 PM   #18
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I've been busy on the RPG forums, so it's not been slow for me.

I have not noticed the other threads, I'm afraid. I've been posting in a few other random places today, though.

-- Folwren

P.S. DO Balrogs have wings?
Old 07-20-2006, 02:14 PM   #19
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Listen to Valier- she speaks with wisdom.

There is the somewhat rare occassion where everyone really just has something else to atend to. Or people may be running out of things to say. For example, I've considered getting into some of the Books discussion recently, but by the time I see one that interests me, my opinion's been stated six times over. So then I really just have say, "What would be the point?" and move on.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:17 PM   #20
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I actually have a couple of nice discussion topics just waiting to get written up, but not the time to do so properly. Sometimes real life priorities take precedence. I hope to start at least one thread next week...

I hope those of you who are complaining will join the discussion!!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:11 PM   #21
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh well maybe I will get my not inconsiderable butt into gear and launch my topics.... but I really must catch up on the backlog - I have been flat out on the downs and still am behind (apologies to all those who are waiting ) .... and so much of my non-work RL has been been neglected .....

But do consider a RPG if you are bored. I didn't think it was my thing when I joined and I have learnt so much - not only creative writing skills but in researching aspects of ME history.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:46 PM   #22
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Check out drigel's new thread - 'Spun Candy any one?'