The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2009, 11:57 AM   #4321
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon View Post
Isn't that the quote that The Phantom used to keep in his signature?
hehe, close. I had asked him to play in my game and said something like "If you'd like, I would love to have you!"....he pretended to not notice that I was talking about my game

Quote:
which means I'm guessing late August-early September?
Well that would just be lovely.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:55 PM   #4322
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Well, just to say, I'm not going to have internet access the week after next, so if the game ends and Noggie or Boro want to start your admin thread then, go ahead.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:29 PM   #4323
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilwarin538 View Post
hehe, close. I had asked him to play in my game and said something like "If you'd like, I would love to have you!"....he pretended to not notice that I was talking about my game

Heh. I think it was something like, "If you're interested, I would absolutely love to have you!" Funniest. Thing. Ever. Or at least funniest thing of that particular five minutes.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:07 PM   #4324
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The one thing I don't get is everything I have heard about The Phantom he has never done. Also I agree that quote was very funny. When I first read it I made a pretty funny assumption from it.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:51 PM   #4325
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Heh. I think it was something like, "If you're interested, I would absolutely love to have you!" Funniest. Thing. Ever. Or at least funniest thing of that particular five minutes.

YES! You got it! I totally couldn't remember my exact wording. Haha, yeah he sent me a PM back to that starting like "Well, I suppose....it's a little fast....and we don't really know each other very well..." haha, silly boy.

Anyway Boro (to stay on WWing topic here ), I'm in if it's happening within the next couple months, cause my life will be pretty slow during that time.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:34 PM   #4326
Naria
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Naria has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Naria
Narya

The list:

Eonwe
Nog
McCaber
Mirandir

Tentative:

Legate
Gwath

There is room for one more mod

Last edited by Naria; 08-14-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Naria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:37 PM   #4327
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I've done it far too recently, or else I'd snatch up the chance.

Whoever's next, though, I'm in. Must have a proper WW fix.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:49 PM   #4328
Mirandir
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mirandir is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'd like to be added to the list since this current game ended so saddeningly quickly but go ahead and stick me on the list at the bottom and anyone else who hasn't modded yet can go before me.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:07 PM   #4329
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
If Nogrod and Eonwe still can't go, I can jump in. It would just be a couple days, so wilwa and I can get down the final details.

If either of them are ready, take it away.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:51 AM   #4330
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
What's the etiquette regarding non-Tolkienian themed games? Because I have several awesome ideas related to different settings, and I'd love to mod one of them sometime.
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:40 AM   #4331
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCaber View Post
What's the etiquette regarding non-Tolkienian themed games? Because I have several awesome ideas related to different settings, and I'd love to mod one of them sometime.
The only connection my Republic game had to Tolkien was that it took place in a small village that had a lot of scrolls.

Lari's game just had the theme of a high school reunion. No Tolkien necessary.

Lommy had were-penguins, I think.

Basically, if it sounds like a cool game and isn't themed around Twilight, you'll probably get enthusiastic villagers.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:59 AM   #4332
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Eonwe's told me to go for it, and Nog can until the end of August, so the admin thread will be up in a bit.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:55 PM   #4333
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Lommy had were-penguins, I think.
We did that together as our first modding - and it was the elves going over the Helcaraxë so there was a Tolkien theme - but the limits I think have been flexible... I wouldn't say all the games have been only Tolkienish... but I think there has been something in every game. But not sure about that.

Good to see you Boro picking the next game up as I wil have a chance to mod / play a game the next time in the beginning of September (have been checking my calendar). Sad I can't take part in your game as it looks like an interesting one...

Good luck to all and let's meet later in WW!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:25 AM   #4334
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well, if I can, I'd love to mod A Full Moon Over Innsmouth. HP Lovecraft style and all that. Basically, the werewolves are the good guys in this story, sent by their leader to infiltrate an evil town and destroy it from within. It has a lot of potential, I think.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:30 AM   #4335
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Well, if I can, I'd love to mod A Full Moon Over Innsmouth. HP Lovecraft style and all that. Basically, the werewolves are the good guys in this story, sent by their leader to infiltrate an evil town and destroy it from within. It has a lot of potential, I think.
That sounds great to me. Go for it!
Old 08-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #4336
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Sign me up now. Go for it. Once you're up, I'm in.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:46 AM   #4337
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Sign me up now. Go for it. Once you're up, I'm in.
As quickly as the current game filled up, I'd hate to miss out on this. I'm in also.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:05 AM   #4338
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Consider this my reservation. That sounds amazing.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:25 PM   #4339
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Definitely reserve a spot for me.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #4340
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Or in plain English, Me too!
Old 08-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #4341
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
I thought I was having a stroke for a second there.

So the next mod is the McCobbler, followed by either Steve or Nog, with Legate and Sir Gwath bringing up the rear. Correct?
Old 08-09-2009, 02:34 PM   #4342
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Is Steve his real name? I know this is off topic but it is just annoying weather or not that is the case.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:41 PM   #4343
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Is Steve his real name? I know this is off topic but it is just annoying whether or not that is the case.

Nah, it's a joke from a previous game. Someone correct me if I'm wrong about which game it was, but I think it was The Republic, modded by Fea.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #4344
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Is Steve his real name? I know this is off topic but it is just annoying weather or not that is the case.
It's a joke that started in one of the earlier games, but if it annoys you, I'm sure everyone will be willing to drop it and any other references to downs history prior to your seemingly happy arrival. Wouldn't want to make anyone feel like a noob.

Crossed with Sally.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:00 PM   #4345
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
It's a joke that started in one of the earlier games, but if it annoys you, I'm sure everyone will be willing to drop it and any other references to downs history prior to your seemingly happy arrival. Wouldn't want to make anyone feel like a noob.
Speak for yourself! I make my living off remembering the Downs as it was 3/4 years ago.

*cough* Course, that could be because I had something of a 2 year span since then when I more or less disappeared... gave the old brain just enough time to petrify the old times.

For example... like Hakon, I also don't get the Steve-reference for Eönwë, but in my case it's because it refers back too late rather than too early.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #4346
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

I'm pretty sure it was tp in that game who started it.

Oh well, he's always been Eonwe to me, don't think I've ever called him Steve...erm until just now.

Edit: crossed with Form...hehe, I remember it. I was there then, but don't ask me what the joke meant.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #4347
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
I'm pretty sure it was tp in that game who started it.

Oh well, he's always been Eonwe to me, don't think I've ever called him Steve...erm until just now.

Edit: crossed with Form...hehe, I remember it. I was there then, but don't ask me what the joke meant.

I really don't remember how it got started (seem to remember something about a rhyme but I'm likely just crazy) but I call him Steve because there's another Eonwe on here and (while obviously I can't address a PM to 'Steve') I accidentally PM'd the wrong one once. That and I hate not making the little dots above his name but I'm too lazy to remember how to do it so it's easier for me to stick with Steve.

And Formie, you're old, and we love you for it. Now go take out your teeth and have a nap.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #4348
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

The Origin of Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
For the sake of narration, somebody wanna tell me how you pronounce Eonwe's name?
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
I don't even know what Eonwe's name is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
By name, I definitely meant 'Eonwe.'
Quote:
What I found was- eh'onweh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
My guess would be Ee-on-hhwip... I mean hhway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
You should rhyme [eh'onweh] with something. Phonetics are totally useless across dialects.
Quote:
But you could just call him Steve if you want. Easier to rhyme that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
I approve. Eonwe will henceforth be named Steve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta
Shouldn't be immensely difficult to rhyme with "ay-on-way".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
Psh. Way too late. I already wrote the poem with Steve as its subject.
And the poem was,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
Eonwe is henceforth known as Steve.
His head from his body, the villagers did cleave.
His identity as a wolf the good guys did believe
But when Steve died, they learned that all they did achieve
Was making their jobs harder between now and the coming eve.
RIP, Steve. You were a good ordo in that game...
Old 08-09-2009, 03:21 PM   #4349
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

That's what she said. And it was true, and hence he became Steve. And there was much rejoicing.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:12 PM   #4350
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Good rhyme and good story. Rikae, what annoyed me was not knowing weather Steve was his real name or not. I am not annoyed by him being called Steve.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:28 PM   #4351
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Well then. Put me on the mod list. A Full Moon Over Innsmouth awaits.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:26 AM   #4352
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I am now back. Your game looks like a really good one by the way, Boro.

Heh, Steve. Now my alter-ego has its own alter-ego (and a story too). (or is that smilie illegal for anyone under 18 in Liverpool to see . Lucky I'm in London)

Last edited by Eönwë; 08-25-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:57 AM   #4353
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Well then. Put me on the mod list. A Full Moon Over Innsmouth awaits.
Ah well, and I thought I will be the first one to bring such a setting (had such an idea in mind for over a year). Well anyway, I think mine will be a bit different... or then I can just reconsider once again and bring some of the old stories into life, like I already did twice...

Anyway, I guess I have had a long break from WW, and so at last I have time, so if McCobbler is to come, I'm awaiting it with the prospect of entering.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:00 AM   #4354
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

And by the looks of the list, I'd better start preparing my game. And also, how many people are thinking they might be able to play? Because if there aren't too many I may have to tone it down a bit into a "light" version.

edit: x-posted

edit 2: wait, how did McCaber get in?
Old 08-16-2009, 09:09 AM   #4355
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
And by the looks of the list, I'd better start preparing my game. And also, how many people are thinking they might be able to play? Because if there aren't too many I may have to tone it down a bit into a "light" version.

edit: x-posted

edit 2: wait, how did McCaber get in?
Possibly the impression was that you are not going to be around yet. But in that case, even better. You can count at least with me for your game. (If nobody else came, I can vote myself.)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #4356
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Eönwë, I think it's impossible to say how many people will be around. You'll just have to wait and see...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:05 PM   #4357
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Eönwë, I think it's impossible to say how many people will be around. You'll just have to wait and see...
Yeah... I suppose so. It was just that for my full idea to work, it needs quite a large number of people.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:14 PM   #4358
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Quote:
Yeah... I suppose so. It was just that for my full idea to work, it needs quite a large number of people.
Well, I'll probably be up for it. My questionable skill aside, I think I'm hooked.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #4359
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
You're next right after McCaber, right? I'd love to, but I may have to take a break after 2 games in a row to take care of RL cmatters (I still haven't quite unpacked all of the stuff that cluttered my room at the Cottage of Lost Play...). If I manage to squeeze some activity in between games, I might soothe my bad conscience sufficiently to play one more... I'll let you know in time, OK?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun
My questionable skill aside, I think I'm hooked.
Hey, I thought that was my text! Luckily, I can't get lynched any sooner than Day 1, can I?
Old 08-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #4360
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

You know I'll be in, Steve. I'll even see what I can do about Mnemo.