The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2004, 02:42 PM   #121
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Left, without a doubt. I'd do it in a second, and then become a minstrel in the courts of Gondor... or something like that. As long as I can take my family and closest friends with me it'll be great.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 05:59 PM   #122
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

I would go left and go to live in hobbiton or Bree bacause I'd fit in more and I'd bring My best friend with me because he knows nothing and we must teach him! he didn't even know there was a hobbiton
Old 08-01-2004, 05:25 PM   #123
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
After more thought, and after the experiences of my most recent trip, I would stay here. There's so much that needs to be done here! While I may not be happy in my current location (I never should have visited Wyoming. It's too much like my old home in Idaho, and I miss the mountains and sagebrush and desert There's too many people in Wisconsin, and too many trees), I wouldn't leave my family or my home behind.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:40 AM   #124
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White Tree

Quote:
... and too many trees
I guess you wouldn't be settling in Fangorn or Mirkwood then, eh?
Old 08-02-2004, 10:57 AM   #125
Laitoste
Wight

Laitoste has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond18
I guess you wouldn't be settling in Fangorn or Mirkwood then, eh?
Apparently not...you can't see enough of the sky with so many trees! Although they are pretty...
Old 08-02-2004, 02:35 PM   #126
Isowen
Haunting Spirit

Isowen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

hmmmm....tough one but I think I'd go for the door on the left. Too may problems in "the real world" plus I love Middle-earth and it would be great to meet Gandalf and the rest of the company of the ring. I think I would do as Gollum did and wonder around Middle-Earth for 75 years or so, just so I could see everyhting. I'm not sure who I would take. I think I'd rather just go by myself! I couldn't live without my laptop though, because then how would I get onto this forum?!?!
Old 09-13-2006, 12:25 PM   #127
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
"Do-over"

It's been a long time since this thread was dredged up. I always enjoy seeing what newer posters say or if anyone has changed their mind.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:36 PM   #128
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
hmmm my main consern would be if the persons I took with me to ME would want to leave this world. . . I cannot make my mind up! argh curse you Child, you have made my brain hurt.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:53 PM   #129
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne
hmmm my main consern would be if the persons I took with me to ME would want to leave this world. . . I cannot make my mind up! argh curse you Child, you have made my brain hurt.
As long as you pick Barrow-Downers, that should be a non-concern.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:13 PM   #130
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I would take my brother Drew with me. I would jump up, run to the down, bow to the omnipoten She, and step confidentally through!

Where would we go? First off, we would hunt around and get oriented. Then we could make a couple choices.

a. Elrond in Imladris
b. Rangers in The Shire
c. Gondor
d. Grey Havens (but who really what's to enter the service of Cirdan in the Third Age?)

I would most likely opt for Rangers, or Elrond. Of course, we could always free style adventure it...maybe follow the route of Bilbo, and enter the service of the King of Dale.

sigh...
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:25 PM   #131
The 1,000 Reader
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The 1,000 Reader is still gossiping in the Green Dragon.
I'd kill the gatemaster guy and go home, since this sort of thing has been whored endlessly in fanfiction, which I hate.

Looking back, I'd go through the right portal since Middle-Earth isn't my world and I can be more successful here anyway.
"And forth went Morgoth, and he was halted by the elves. Then went Sauron, who was stopped by a dog and then aged men. Finally, there came the Witch-King, who destroyed Arnor, but nobody seems to remember that."

-A History of Villains
The 1,000 Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 08:08 PM   #132
Farael
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: In hospitals, call rooms and (rarely) my apartment.
Farael has just left Hobbiton.
To live in a fantasy world.

Have you ever felt like you were born a few hundred years too late? Today a man's word is worth little more than the air he spends when saying it. Love is either a tool to sell things or a myth, but nothing else. There is no time for one to stop, calm down, unwind and enjoy life for the joy of life itself... unless one doesn't mind falling behind on everything else that makes up daily life. And no, I might sound like a hipocrite... but while I would enjoy the pleasures of a simple life, since that is no longer possible on today's society (even the "simplest" of people are more complicated than what I want) I much rather keep up with the times.

I imagine myself a gentleman. I take pride in keeping my word, and I do believe that love is more than a tool for marketing-types to sell more things or a bunch of rampaging chemicals in our brains. I believe that there is "good" and "bad" and while as always, there are some shades of grey, they are not as ample as some people seem to think. I believe that good actions are worth it for themselves, even what you might call a 'sacrifice', that wouldn't really be so, because of the satisfaction of knowing that you have spent your life in something meaningful.

Sometimes I've wished I lived in the middle ages. Of course it would have been a seriously bad time for me given my ancestry (let's just say that my people weren't exactly loved in most places) but I sometimes fancyed myself sitting on the court of some king or another... or heck, sitting on the throne itself!

Yet my little realistic devil always interferes "Hey man.. you know that that is not how they really lived, right?"

But the offer you are making here is different... far different! You are telling me that I could go live in an ideal world... a fantasy world!. A wold where men like Aragorn, Theoden, Eomer... even Boromir lived! A world where I could just loose myself in unexplored forests, and also a world where I could perhaps even learn how to ride and how to fight and dedicate my life to saving others. Or perhaps I could lead a simple life like Farmer Maggot... have my own little farm and from time to time venture into the old forest. Or I could just dedicate my life to travelling? if I'm lucky, I might just run into some elves, or find Rivendell, or if not at least one or two Dunedain.

A world where all these things that I believe in are more than an ideal... are a way of life. Sure, no computers... and yeah, I live on a steady diet of Advil and Tylenol (although since in ME I'd expect to do more physical work my back pain should get better... once I go through the "omg I can't move" stage) but I'd give everything I own and everything I know for a chance to experience Middle Earth. Sure, I might not live past my 60th birthday and die of a disease that penicillin would cure... or maybe I'd just get my neck kindly relieved of the burden of my head by an orc only a year after getting to Middle Earth.

But if it was even for a day, it would be a day worth a lifetime of dreams. And if I was blessed enough to live to old age in ME, then I could think back and say "well... perhaps I belonged here all along".
Old 09-14-2006, 05:26 AM   #133
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
I will help the 1000 reader kill the gatemaster, and then I would be able to go where ver I feel like. But if you want me to be serious... I would go left. Only if I wasnt as helpless as I am in my universe. (Wait a second, I forgot that I am a ninja)
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:16 AM   #134
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Wow. As much as I am in love with Middle-earth and all its characters, I would choose going back home. Because there are certain things in this world I wont find there. My best friend, my mother, my education (something I will NOT give up), my books...
However, if there was I way I could possible finish college and get a job in ME, and transport all the people I love there (along with my books lol), I'd definitely go to ME.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:25 AM   #135
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Definitely ME. Of course, I will miss Mark Twain, Jack London, Margaret Mitchell, Alexandra Ripley, and all other of my favourite writers, but Tolkien beats them all.
I guess I'd prefer to be one of the rangers, but on a second thought everyplace seems great.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:37 PM   #136
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

xMellrynxMaidenx has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via MSN to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Yahoo to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Skype™ to xMellrynxMaidenx
Leaf

I was faced with this same decision, actually, when a few friends and I were discussing ME. Some have already said this or had similar thoughts to it, but if a portal were to be dropped in your bedroom...well, everything does happen for a reason. Maybe choosing ME is YOUR course in life. We have to make decisions sometimes that is new and mysterious, IE leaving the nest when we're adults.

That being said, I know eventually whether I want to or not, I'm going to leave home anyways no matter what world I choose. It's in my nature to do so; I'm a nomadic type of person, I love exploring new places. This, for me, would be opportunity knocking; to explore the very world I've dreamed of traipsing across since I was a kid. I hunt; yes, I go bow hunting. Even at my young age I've lived without electricity and have lived off the land. I know the basics of house keeping. Could I survive? I'd like to say I could, and in reality I may scrap by, but one thing I'm NOT use to hunting is Orcs. That's where I would just love to call Imladris my home that way should any Orcs happen to come up with the idea of shish-Ka bobbing me, I'll sick Elrohir and Elladan on 'em!

I know enough Elvish to get by, so I would fair well with the elves. My bow skills, however, are not NEAR as good as their own, though.

With every action though, there is consequences. We would know what would happen next given we knew what event was happening exactly. Some would think, "Hey, this is an advantage though, right?" It very well could be. But then again, how many of us are truly prepared to go to war WITHOUT the technology and weapons we have in today's military? It was kill or be killed; it still is, really, but I would say it was much darker and graver back then.

That being said, I would sadly have to choose our world. *sigh* If you would have said, oh say, the Fourth Age where there was no war (that we know of) I would have chosen the ME door.

But...IF I had chosen the ME door instead of our world I would take no one; there WAS a war going on after all, and I would much rather have my family in our own dimension as safe as safe can get. I would LOVE to live in Lothlorien...just to see the Mellryn! I wouldn't mind seeing Lord Celeborn or the Lady Galadriel either, but I REALLY would love to see those trees

I would go so far as to say humans could live in Rivendell. Didn't the Dunedain chiefs retire there? Or their sons were fostered there...I can't remember :\ Someone please refresh my memory.

Hobby wise, I would most definitely be at home in Rohan. I am extremely keen on the equine nature, having raised a few myself.

Ah decisions, decisions.

“Sometimes it's the smallest decisions that can change your life forever.”-Kerri Russell
~|And all will turn, to silver glass. A light on the water, Grey ships pass, Into the West. |~ "Few now remember them...yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folks that are heedless."
xMellrynxMaidenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:03 AM   #137
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'm not as adventerous as you, Mellrynx, or as adapted to survival in such a world, but I still would choose ME without a second thought. If I'll regret it later, well, I can't undo it. I've always had this...romantic? streek in me and it always bothered me with dreams about living in different places, times, cultures, etc.. Moreover, I never particularly liked this world, except for my family and my books and my closest friends. I'm not that attached to it. Plus, it would be fascinating to learn from all the different people of ME, wouldn't it? And imagine popping up there in the middle of the story. You could predict to characters what they're thinking! What I wouldn't do is meddle at the times when I could actually change the story. That would be dangerous.
I'd choose to be a Dunedain (as much as a girl could be one). They are my favourite characters. I think it would be a good start to get a Dunedain teach you the basics of survival in ME.

The chieftains were brought up in Rivendell.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:51 PM   #138
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Y'all are too romantic. I'm staying here. Modern medicine, coca cola, trains, planes, and automobiles, and yes, computers...lots of places to see and people to know. The evils of both worlds are equivalent enough, I suppose.

And, ya know, I'm a woman. I'll stay here and enjoy the modern comforts of more relative equality and childbirth I'm more likely to survive. Not that every woman has that here and now, but I do.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #139
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Well, 5/8 things that you've listed could be considered today's evil.
I'm a woman too, but that doesn't take out the "romantic streak" out of me.