The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-17-2002, 05:14 PM   #1
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril On a happy note: Arwen, Lothlorien, arrows, information, and little extras...

While it would have been nice if Tom Bombadil was there, let us focus on some of the very positive additions in the Extended Version DVD!<P>Well, one of the negatives was the fact that giving Arwen extra time to save Frodo kind of rubbed in the fact that Glorfindel wasn't there for me...but: in "The Departure of the Fellowship", they do this amazing job of making her look really young and innocent. I love the way she stares after Aragorn looking so completely vulnerable. It is somewhat not in the movie character, but it is more in the character that I saw her as in the books.<P>And, they made Galadriel a bit less...evil-witchlady-getting-bewitched. I didn't like that they did that to her in the original.<P>Then they have Legolas's arrows out of control (I want to be able to fire like that)...I was happy they showed them all getting the gifts.<P>They also showed more of the Legolas-Gimli relationship. They showed the original feelings, then the evolution of the feelings as the movie went on. Aaaand: Gimli got the hair!<P>I loved that they had Aragorn at Gilraen's grave. And his discussion with Elrond. It really gave people who didn't read the books more information about Aragorn (I mean, I've read them many times, but...)<P>And: was it me or, even in the scenes without extra footage, they had just like 1 second inserts that made it feel less...rushed? Tell me if you noticed that too...<P>Well: how about you guys can now talk about what you considered to be the most positive additions to the Extended Version DVD?
Old 11-17-2002, 07:11 PM   #2
the mortal elf
Wight

the mortal elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to the mortal elf
Tolkien

I liked when the fellowship was just leaving Rivendell, how Frodo was completely clueless as to which way to go. I think it showed how....childlike he was (no offense to him). How he wasn't a big hero, but just a little hobbit who wanted to save the shire. I thought it was sweet.<P>I also noticed the 1 second things, and they helped a lot.<P>I loved the Concerning hobbits section. I thought it was really cute, and it will help a lot for people who _still_ haven't read the books <P>The part where Gimli received his hair and when he was telling Legolas about it made me smile a mile wide. That was one of my favorite parts in the book, and I think PJ did it wonderfully. <P>I also loved some of the new music, although it was very subtle.<P>All in all, I only have one teeny complaint, but I won't mention it since this should be a positive thread
Old 11-17-2002, 07:40 PM   #3
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

Well, concerning the Bombadil thing, just watch the "Editing an Epic" documentary. It also covers Arwen's prominence, I think.<P>But Galadriel calling Aragorn "Elessar" and the extra 2 seconds of Balrog footage made it worthwhile. And the hair. And Frodo asking about Bilbo's soberness at the party. And Sam's "She can?" And Gilraen's shrine. And Gandalf scaring the sh*t out of everyone at the COuncil of Elrond. And more Nazzie pics. And Isildur actually putting the Ring on and getting shot. And etc.<P>Thank you for being a good DVD, Special Edition FotR! We love you!
Old 11-18-2002, 01:53 PM   #4
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

It was almost like watching a different movie. It became a game of figuring out which scenes were added and extended. I loved it so much. My absalute favorite is the Green Dragon. I love that song. I wish I could figure out all the lyrics. If anyone caught all of them I would love to see. <P>I also liked how they showed Aragorn's charicter. It showed a side of him that wasn't there in the theatrical version.<P>Oh, and if you watch the actor's commentary, during the credits the hobbits thank Tom Bombadil for taking care of them.
Old 11-18-2002, 02:07 PM   #5
Gayalondiel
Wight

Gayalondiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

It was the smaller things that really made it that bit extra-special. Legolas speaking Elvish (sorry, not sure if it was Quenya or Sindarin), Sam speaking that little verse about the fireworks, Gollum floating down the Anduin: they all brought it that closer to the books for me.<P>The bit that topped it all off for me was the brief entrance of the Sackville-Bagginses. I missed them first time round

~C.S.Lewis
Gayalondiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 05:38 PM   #6
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

It was Sindarin. And, as I said: this is for all the positive comments (as I saw so many complaints in the Forum when I came in here to gush about the Extended DVD). Thank you for sticking to that!<P>I loved Frodo's little pause as well.<P>I still love how innocent they made Arwen look when they left...<P>I shrieked a little bit too loud when they had the Sackville-Bagginses. Having them and the extra information about Bilbo and Frodo made it easier for (as we said) people who haven't read the books yet (but really, who in this world hasn't? Besides my history teacher and some of my friends...okay: never mind, then) to understand the relationship between them. Maybe my history teacher would like the Extended Version better...he didn't understand the "point" of the original. Since they explain more in this one, maybe he'd like it better...<p>[ November 19, 2002: Message edited by: VanimaEdhel ]
Old 11-20-2002, 05:25 PM   #7
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

Quote:
My absalute favorite is the Green Dragon. I love that song. I wish I could figure out all the lyrics. If anyone caught all of them I would love to see.
Rose, if you go to options and put down English subtitles, you'll be able to see the words to the song. Well, except for the first line. For some reason, that line isn't subtitled.

Oh, and the Green Dragon was one of my fav parts too!

Last edited by Brinniel; 02-05-2007 at 07:17 PM.
Brinniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 05:50 PM   #8
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Do the subtitles have the Grey Elves' song, perchance?
Old 11-24-2002, 06:45 PM   #9
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
Tolkien

nope...sadly
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 10:43 AM   #10
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

VanimaEdhel, could you do a small remnant of us a favor, and tell us if you're about to talk about stuff in the extended DVD? I haven't seen it yet (I WILL, I WILL!), but until then, I would like to refrain from spoilers about it. Thanks!
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 01:09 PM   #11
InklingElf
Shade of Carn Dûm

InklingElf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to InklingElf
I've seen it!!!!!!!-and don't worry-I won't spoil the good parts!
InklingElf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 01:26 PM   #12
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

I myself am not bothered by Arwen's extended role - but they made her do things that her character would not normally do. She is not a warrior princess (as many have stated elsewhere).<P>I really appreciate the extended DVD, though. The added parts make it seem more whole. This version should have been the one released to theaters!
TolkienGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 10:46 PM   #13
Aragorn_the_Ranger
Haunting Spirit

Aragorn_the_Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love the scene with the Lembas..<BR>"One small bite can fill a grown mans stomach"<BR>"How many did you eat"<BR>"Four"<P>HAHAHA...it really brought out the Pippin in Pippin. And by my knowledge the Elves that are going to the Grey Havens are singing "A Elbereth". I love the Green Dragon bit, really shows how hobbits are and shows Sam's affections to Rosie more. Also did you see Rosie giving a few glances as well.<P>Well...thats all
Aragorn_the_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 07:06 AM   #14
The Lady Arwen

Ring

I was really glad I waited for the extended dvd to come out (I couldn't afford the luxury of buying both). It was well worth the wait. Now I just need to get my pc upgraded enough so that the dvd runs smoothly and I'll be in heaven <P>Kxx
Old 11-27-2002, 03:14 PM   #15
Lhunbelethiel
Wight

Lhunbelethiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I adored Gimli's reaction to receiving Galadriel's hair.... It was interesting to see all the make up John Rhys Davies had to go through to get in his costume, and that he could hardly see or breathe. (not to mention he had a reaction to the glue they used!) <P>That is why the look on his face and the way he said, "I asked for one hair off her shining head.... and she gave me <I>three</I>" touched me so much. He did so much acting with just his eyes and voice in that scene. Goosebumps, absolute goosebumps. Yay Extended dvd!!!!!!!!
Old 11-28-2002, 11:11 AM   #16
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love the scene before they enter Lothlorien where Boromir say's to Frodo not to carry the burden of Gandalf's death. Tells that Boromir is a very caring person Despite his doubts...
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 01:43 PM   #17
Helkahothion
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Helkahothion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Helkahothion Send a message via AIM to Helkahothion
I especyaly liked them getting the gifts and Gandalf speaking the luangage of Mordor.
________
FORD GT70

Last edited by Helkahothion; 03-07-2011 at 03:58 AM.
Helkahothion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 02:00 PM   #18
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked most of the bits added while they were in the Shire and the bit where they leave Rivendell and Frodo doesn't know which way to go (trying desparately not to give too much away to people who haven't seen it yet) It just shows how hobbity the hobbits are .