The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-30-2007, 03:01 PM   #1
mhagain
Wight

mhagain has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Filming The Silmarillion

Has this been done before? Well here we go, just for fun!

Never mind whether or not you think it could be done, let's have some proposals for how it may be made possible to do it.

Preferably without any major alterations to the story.

Here's one to start with:

Pick a handful of characters who feature large in it (Thingol and Finrod spring immediately to mind) and tell the bulk of the story from their perspective. The major drawback is that things might become too depressing, but that aside I believe it could work.

Any others?
mhagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:12 PM   #2
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Actually, this has been debated about quite some times already. I'm too lazy to dig out the threads and links again.

I think most agreed that the Silmarillion could only be filmed in more than one movie. (I - The Rebellion of the Noldor; II - Beren and Lúthien; III - Nirnaeth Arnoediad and Túrin Turambar; IV - Fall of Doriath and Gondolin and the story of Eärendil; V - Akallabêth; - for example).

The story would have to be fleshed out immensely (I,IV and V especially) and would at times be borderline fanfiction. Of course this does not mean bad, but mean straying from the book (which also does not automatically mean bad, though not all here will agree).

The questions that arise are the filming rights and whether such a massive amount of movies would in fact bring profit. But I take we're not talking about that thing called "reality" here.
Maybe some parts of the Silmarillion will be done somewhen, Beren and Lúthien, for example. Or maybe a high-quality animated series. This is cheaper to produce and could stay closer to the book.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:30 AM   #3
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Well, mhagain, at least the following thread might interest you.

Let's cast the Silmarillion

And tsk, tsk, Mac, forgetting about your very own little threads...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Well, obviously, it's impossible to try to adapt the whole thing. Literally impossible. The result would be horrific if anyone were stupid enough to try.

I'm an aspiring filmmaker and it's my dream to one day be able to make Silmarillion-based films. Of course, I fully realize the odds of that happening. Even if someone in a position to make the movies wanted badly enough to do them, you'd have to purchase the film rights from the Tolkien Estate. I doubt that's even possible while Christopher Tolkien lives.

In my dream world, my Sil films would be:
(1) Beren and Luthien
(2) The Children of Hurin
(3) The Fall of Gondolin
(4) The Downfall of Numenor
(5) The War of the Last Alliance

(1) would make a spectacular movie, IMHO. Has all the ingredients. But a huge undertaking. (2) would be spectacular as well; the only downside is that the ending is gut-wrenchingly sorrowful. I'm not sure audiences would put up with it. (3) would be more like a Star Wars Episode III deal where yeah, Gondolin falls and Turgon dies and Maeglin betrays everybody, but you do have "A New Hope" in the form of Earendil. (4) and (5) would ideally be filmed back-to-back, or at least with your Elendil/Isildur/Anarion actors returning, with (5) concluding with the Disaster of the Gladden Fields.

However it would be done, it would be a massive undertaking. It really does dwarf LOTR because with LOTR, you have a 1000-page novel plus appendices to work with for your story. With these, there certainly is a variety of material from Silm, UT, HoME, and the forthcoming CoH, but you have to do a ton of extrapolation. It's going to take a director with a strong commitment to Tolkien, a vision to truly bring the stories to life, and an imagination the size of Mount Everest. Depending on the director, these stories could be crafted into some of the greatest films of all time, or they could be big fat duds.

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:12 PM   #5
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sorry for brining up an old topic, but I got it in my head to do an animated Silmarillion. I'd never animated anything before, but I started learning how last week, and made a kind of concept "trailer". I was inspired stylistically by the movie 300.

I know it has no plot or narration... I just hope it might inspire someone. I don't think I have the time or skill to do a story myself. I'd like to, but..

Anyway, I uploaded it to youtube:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dcUOB4ED_Q0
Old 06-12-2008, 02:12 AM   #6
R.
Animated Skeleton

R. has just left Hobbiton.
An animated Silmarillion would be awesome. In fact i think they should animate all Tolkien's work. They would be great with today's animation technology.

Ron
Old 06-12-2008, 05:23 AM   #7
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Hey, Beregond, that's very impressive for a first animation!

(I actually am an animator, by the way, so I know what I'm talking about.)