The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 02:54 PM   #1121
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Just wondering . . .

If you don't post on the site for a long period of time do you lose reputation points?
Old 09-05-2005, 04:09 PM   #1122
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Quote:
I'm very amazed... in the past few hours, I've gotten not one, but two unsigned pos-reps. Commented, yet unsigned. And I'm not even sure how much they're worth because I have no idea how many points I had before. How intriguing.
What threads were they for? Recently I forgot to sign a rep and usually I PM the person, but kind of slipped my mind and I soon forgot the person I repped. So one may be mine.

Quote:
If you don't post on the site for a long period of time do you lose reputation points?
As far as I know, no. When I first joined February about 2 years ago I think, I sort of forgot about the place and didn't come back for about 6 months. I don't recall losing any points, but then again I didn't know the "User CP" option until I had been on the downs for almost a year lol.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:38 PM   #1123
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88
What threads were they for? Recently I forgot to sign a rep and usually I PM the person, but kind of slipped my mind and I soon forgot the person I repped. So one may be mine.
One was for Encaitare's Da Vinci thread for my portrayals of Heren, Fordie, 'Mer, and The Phantom Who Be Short. The other was for a sort-of recent RP post.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:06 PM   #1124
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

I got two reputations without any comments earlier, one for "The doublings are coming" and the other for "Fortunately/Unfortunately" Thanks to whoever sent them, though I'd love to know who you are.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:20 PM   #1125
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
If I'm correct Menel, I believe I might have been the one for "Fourtunately/Unfourtunately" and I forgot to sign it. What was the comment? I might be able to tell by that.

By the way, thank you to all those who have repped me lately. You have my gratitude.

I'd also like to know who repped me for My "Balrog Appreciation Month" thread.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:06 PM   #1126
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Just today I got an uncommented/unsigned rep for this post in Crazy Captions. It's no big deal, really, but I wouldn't mind knowing who gave it to me...hint, hint.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:11 AM   #1127
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
White Tree

Fea, doesn't sound like one of mine, so the mystery continues.

Estel, to add to this new mystery I got an uncommented, unsigned pos-rep for a post in the fortunately/unfortunately thread.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:22 AM   #1128
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Erm... while in my own case, not signing is due to hitting return when I runout of space ratherthan carrying on typing (I learnt my keyboard skills on a manual typewriter), I would say that while I abhor unsigned negative rep ..... I think people are entitled to leave positive unsigned rep..... I mean, occasionally I might do it if I rep someone who has coincidentally just repped me and I don't want it to look like a quid pro quo.... but generally I sign or PM if I realise my mistake...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Old 09-07-2005, 08:44 AM   #1129
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I did the unthinkable- I gave an unsigned rep to BW.

I had only just started typing my message when a precariously balanced book on the table next to me fell and hit the "enter" key on the number pad.

Oops.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:58 AM   #1130
Dimcollowen
Pile O'Bones

Dimcollowen has just left Hobbiton.
well my typing skills aren't so hot either....sometimes when i type fast enough i totally forget whole words or just letters in general...its actually very sad...
and they are beautiful,
But you are the most handsome of all.

Elessar, you and I were meant to be.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:02 AM   #1131
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
I did the unthinkable- I gave an unsigned rep to BW.

I had only just started typing my message when a precariously balanced book on the table next to me fell and hit the "enter" key on the number pad.

Oops.
Well, just hope you don't get cast out for such a monstrosity!
Old 09-07-2005, 09:06 AM   #1132
Dimcollowen
Pile O'Bones

Dimcollowen has just left Hobbiton.
yeah lets hope!
and they are beautiful,
But you are the most handsome of all.

Elessar, you and I were meant to be.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:05 AM   #1133
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I am sure that The BW is one of the people it matters least with - cos I am sure he can find out if he really wants. However if it were a neg rep....

Old 09-07-2005, 10:42 AM   #1134
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
I am sure that The BW is one of the people it matters least with - cos I am sure he can find out if he really wants. However if it were a neg rep....
Don't you have to sign if it's a negative rep or something? In any event, whether you signed it or not, negative reps in that direction can never be good.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:49 AM   #1135
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I wonder...

Has anybody ever neg-repped you, B-W?

While you're at it, would you like to tell us where all the new reps came from? We got most of them, but I'm sure we missed out one or two - such as the Petty Dwarf.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:13 AM   #1136
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
You really shouldn't tempt one such as me, TGWBS, Mith... Confound this perverse sense of "let's see just how far I can push my luck before it starts to push back." I try so hard to ignore it...
Old 09-07-2005, 11:16 AM   #1137
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanimaEdhel
Don't you have to sign if it's a negative rep or something? In any event, whether you signed it or not, negative reps in that direction can never be good.
Morally, I would say yes but actually no it is quite possible to leave anonymous neg rep because I have received them!!!!

Fea - Listen to the voices!!! MWHAHHAHAAHAHAHA

Last edited by Mithalwen; 09-07-2005 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:33 PM   #1138
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

White Tree

Quote:
Has anybody ever neg-repped you, B-W?~TGWBS
I would guess no. I couldn't imagine the B-W making a post that would warrant a negative rep, and if he does than I must question his administration. Even if he did make a post warranting a negative rep I doubt one would stand up and do it.

Uh-oh, I just noticed I might have made my dreams to uspurp the autority of the downs too apparent, ummm...I take what I said back.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:48 PM   #1139
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Thanks to whoever sent me this mysterious anonymous rep the other day:
Quote:
Just because I think highly of you!
It really made my day!
Old 09-08-2005, 06:03 PM   #1140
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

Big thanks to whoever gave me an unsigned werewolf IX rep. Won't post the text since it could be relevent to the game (Which doesn't matter to me since I am probably being lynched as we speak), and could matter to someone else. Just whoever you are, thanks a lot!
Old 09-08-2005, 06:04 PM   #1141
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Thanks a lot to Perky and Estel for my werewolf reps. And good game to everybody!!!

Last edited by Glirdan; 09-08-2005 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:24 AM   #1142
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Up to now, I very rarely gave negative reps, but I have begun doing so for off-topic chat posts. There have been way too many of those recently! I will gladly negate those points with positive reps when I see that the members involved are writing on-topic, worthwhile posts again.

Oh, and I sign my comments...

(It will be interesting to see if I get anonymous negative reps for this - it's happened before, when someone didn't like my moderating.)
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 09-10-2005, 05:38 AM   #1143
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
This morning, I woke up and found myself in an unfamiliar place. I would have been quite puzzled but for the note that I found on a table.

Quote:
You have been summoned to Elrond's Council. Enjoy your stay in Rivendell!

P.S. Please don't swim in the fountains or walk on the grass.
Thanks to everyone for their kind comments!
Old 09-10-2005, 02:21 PM   #1144
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

I just got a rep from someone without a comment or name. I'd like to find out who it was if they don't mind telling me that is.

By the way, I thank you all for getting me to have a place at Aragorn's court, I feel so special. I get to sit with a King!! YAY!!!
Old 09-11-2005, 10:52 AM   #1145
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I got a rep from someone for a post in Crazy Captions that said simply 'lol'. Just wondering who it was from if they don't mind telling me. I like to know who I've pleased
Old 09-11-2005, 11:27 AM   #1146
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
All you people asking about mystery reps. Gosh. I always sign mine, but it's nice to have a bit of mystery around the system sometimes. And guessing who it is in your free time is fun.

Edit: The person who just repped me for this post is HI, right? It must be HI. Maybe Fea...? Kath? Hehe.

Last edited by the guy who be short; 09-11-2005 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:53 PM   #1147
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Quote:
All you people asking about mystery reps. Gosh. I always sign mine, but it's nice to have a bit of mystery around the system sometimes. And guessing who it is in your free time is fun.

Edit: The person who just repped me for this post is HI, right? It must be HI. Maybe Fea...? Kath? Hehe.
Wasn't me! Normally I would guess but I haven't looked at my User CP for a few days and so I can't work out the points.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:52 PM   #1148
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Wasn't me either. I wasn't even on campus, much less by my computer.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:11 PM   #1149
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
*smiles*

Quote:
wow, you are an amazing thinker.
Okay, it was unsigned by man did that make me smile. I think my head inflated a wee bit too.

Is there anyone else with those absolutely uplifting reps that they'd like to share?
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Old 09-11-2005, 06:48 PM   #1150
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainaserkewen
Is there anyone else with those absolutely uplifting reps that they'd like to share?
Yes. I got this one:

Quote:
A great read. You're a born writer. And Firefoot is right.
I'm sure that last bit will uplift Firefoot, but that first part... I had a smile for quite some time over it. A praise from the praiseworthy, as it were.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:52 PM   #1151
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!

I made my way into someone else's rep? Now I'm going to have to figure out what I'm right about... Hm. Under the context, I could see it being from the "Island of Sorrow" RPG, but I'm not sure what I'm right about. Puzzles, puzzles. Oh well. I can do the phantom-thing and just take it to mean that I am ultimately right. Therefore, balrogs have wings.

Old 09-11-2005, 08:36 PM   #1152
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
I made my way into someone else's rep? Now I'm going to have to figure out what I'm right about... Hm. Under the context, I could see it being from the "Island of Sorrow" RPG, but I'm not sure what I'm right about. Puzzles, puzzles. Oh well. I can do the phantom-thing and just take it to mean that I am ultimately right. Therefore, balrogs have wings.
Actually, it's not from Island of Sorrow. But it's more fun not to tell you who or what it's from... I just feel like being that way tonight.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:47 PM   #1153
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Time to point fingers...

I just got an unsigned, no-comment rep. Don't know if it's the same as some of these other unsigned ones that are floating around, but I wanted to see if I could discover who it was. So I looked through the Member's List and came up with these three possibilities: Shelob, Lalaith, and NightKnight. Now, I probably missed some possibilities, but I'm sure it could have been any of those three.

So, whoever it was, confess now and no harm will com to you.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:38 PM   #1154
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Gurthang, is the hunt on? I want an excuse to use my Balrog mask!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 09-12-2005, 03:41 PM   #1155
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

I think I should be exempt from that. I am after all a fellow Black Beorning, right? Right?? Besides, I'm pretty sure I'm not the one who repped you. I normally comment and sign mine.

Last edited by Glirdan; 09-12-2005 at 03:43 PM. Reason: The smilies!! I forgot the smilies!!!!
Old 09-12-2005, 04:12 PM   #1156
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainaserkewen
I've already posted this one, wondering who it was from, but I got this very sweet anonymous rep about a week ago:
Quote:
Just because I think highly of you!
It was really a wonderful thing to recieve, and many thanks to that mysterious person who sent it!
Old 09-12-2005, 06:32 PM   #1157
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

The purpose of this thread is to discuss the Reputation system generally, not individual Reps (signed or unsigned). As was pointed out some way further back on the thread, some people prefer to Rep anonymously and they are entitled to do so.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:47 PM   #1158
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't administrators see who gives reps? I seem to remember The Barrow-Wight posting stats about how many reps were unsigned, and he wouldn't know that without having been able to see them.

So if a person were to give a higher up an anonymous rep, would the administrators ignore the very strong pull of curiosity and avoid looking, to preserve the chosen anonymity?
Old 09-12-2005, 10:49 PM   #1159
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally posted by The Perky Ent
Gurthang, is the hunt on? I want an excuse to use my Balrog mask!
Actually, I'd say the hunt is over. Sorry, no time for the Balrog mask. I got it narrowed down to those three, but that's about the end of it.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Saucepan Man
The purpose of this thread is to discuss the Reputation system generally, not individual Reps (signed or unsigned).
Oh... sorry. Point taken; there shall be no comments from me regarding my personal reps received. Thanks for the reminder.

So, back on topic: It would be interesting to know if the admins can see all the reps, and the inside info of who gave them. Perhaps they stalk the rep pages, surveying all the proceedings, watching for foul play... if foul play is possible. Well, I have nothing to hide.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:23 AM   #1160
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
YES! I'm bound for the straight road! Thank you WW!
Closed Thread