The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2005, 09:52 PM   #41
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
What might I choose as a personal title when the time comes?

Well, I just made up "King of the Silent" right now. Sort of death-themed, sort of like me in RL: quiet. Or "King of Silence" would be nice. I have plenty of time to ponder.

Congratulations to all those who have new titles: tgwbs, Dancing Spawn, TORE, morm. Lovely titles!
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 03:40 AM   #42
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
Seeing as morm has done so and I have nothing better to do, I shall now tell you of the trials of inventing my title!

I probably spent even longer than morm thinking about it - just ask Kath or Fea. I was constantly asking them to provide feedback in potential titles.

Before I was asked, I wanted Herald of the Western Kings. I'm not sure why. I guess it's sort of like Nilp's - the last of an old order returning to a fallen world. Unfortunately that was too long, and didn't suit me anyway.

I played around with Herald of the Fallen West for a little while as compensation, but didn't like it.

Unnumbered Tears, though beautiful, was condemned as uninventive.

Unheeded Lamentation was very beautiful and almost adopted. I was just pondering accepting it when Kath scolded me for choosing sad titles.

Thinking about it, I decided she was right; a sad title wouldn't suit me. I was just feeling a little melancholy at the time.

So I became Shadowed Prince. I'm not sure where it came from, but I'm sure you'll agree it sounds way cool.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 03:56 AM   #43
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
tgwbs, your Shadowed Prince sounds like a relative of my Ghosted Princess!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 04:12 AM   #44
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Perhaps I was subconsciously trying to get on the good side of you Mods?
Old 09-03-2005, 06:24 AM   #45
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Quote:
I htink you are being a bit hard on yourself there Boromir~Mithalwen
It's called honesty, the truth hurts sometimes.

tgwbs, good choice, I liked Herald of the Western Kings, but hey if it doesn't fit you and you are unsure about it than you probably would have wanted to change it down the road, in which case you'd be stuck with it. Shadowed Prince fits the theme and has creativity.

Quote:
tgwbs, your Shadowed Prince sounds like a relative of my Ghosted Princess!~Estelyn
I'm still trying to find someone to take "Laconic Lorebud," but no takers yet.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:39 AM   #46
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
ooh Laconic Lorebud, very nice, a possibility.

I really like Fluttering Enchantment. It works with my name and it sounds cool. But its mine so no steeling.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:12 AM   #47
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
I like that, Wilwa. It would fit you well.

Congrats to all the new receivers of PT's; excellent choices, all of you. TORE's in particular fits him excellently, methinks.

I wish I had thought of pm'ing other people for feedback when I chose mine - I talked to a couple of people on IM (my cousin, a Downer of about 75 posts, and someone else, also a Downer, I think...), but I didn't like their ideas at all. I particularly liked the word 'Holbytla' - it sounds cool, and it's a link between what are probably my two favorite ... cultures? can't think of a word ... of ME - Hobbits and the Rohirrim. I toyed with the idea of "Elusive Illusion," but it doesn't look as good on the screen, and it didn't contain that favorite word. I had started out looking at the word Simbelmynë, but since two Downers had already used that I dropped the idea.

Somewhat random aside: I actually saw the word Ubiquitous the other day - it was bothering me because I couldn't remember whose title it was in. But it made me think of the Downs, which is a happy thing in any scenario.

I've also decided that PT's are good for your vocabulary...
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 07:19 AM   #48
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Congrats to those who got thier personal titiles! I still can't think of anything with mine. I'm now starting to think of something that includes "poet" in it seeing that's what my name stands for. And good choice Wilwa! It suits you perfectly.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:18 AM   #49
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Mine was chosen rather entirely at random. I wanted two words that sounded good together than connoted an other-worldly quality in accordance with the Downs while at the same time maintaining my, well, shall we say boundless femininity. I'm very girly, and "enchantress" just sounded like it fit in so well with that concept. After I decided Enchantress, Ethereal just fell right into place. And it sounded pretty, so here I am, having submitted Ethereal Enchantress so long ago and still happy with it. Kind of like a well-thought-out tattoo in the perfect spot. Not that I'd know.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:37 AM   #50
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I would be quite the ingrate if I failed to mention my appreciation to Eomer and Saucepan Man both helped me on my little quest. They provided valuable feedback and showed extreme patience with my paltry request for help.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:38 AM   #51
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Somewhat random aside: I actually saw the word Ubiquitous the other day - it was bothering me because I couldn't remember whose title it was in.
It's Kransha's: Ubiquitous Uruloki.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 12:29 PM   #52
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan
Congrats to those who got thier personal titiles! I still can't think of anything with mine. I'm now starting to think of something that includes "poet" in it seeing that's what my name stands for. And good choice Wilwa! It suits you perfectly.
You might, or might not, have the rep by tomorrow (somehow, I'd wager not :P ), but I think you'll have a LITTLE bit of time to decide before you hit the big 500.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:36 PM   #53
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
You might, or might not, have the rep by tomorrow (somehow, I'd wager not :P ), but I think you'll have a LITTLE bit of time to decide before you hit the big 500.
Oh I know it'll take me awhile to get to the big 500. But hey. I got to start thining. I'm not that far away now. Only about 250 posts left. And even then, I still have to wait to get the pm. But I'd still like to think of something before the time comes. It's better to plan ahead then to leave everything last minute, right?? (probably completlely off there but I thought that would make me look smarter )
Old 09-04-2005, 08:54 PM   #54
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
i remember back when, by a glitch, The Perky Ent's was registered User, i found that cool

me, it would probaly be Punmaster of Awesomeness
Old 09-04-2005, 10:31 PM   #55
Elonve
Wight

Elonve has just left Hobbiton.
maybe mine would be...

whisper in the haze

mud muncher & cudd cruncher are possible candidates...
________
Zoloft Death

Last edited by Elonve; 04-09-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Elonve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 02:28 AM   #56
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Welcome back, Formssy preciouss!

Vanima, I almost chose Heavenly Hauntress, but I was reminded of your PT so I decided to play around with the words instead for a bit more originality. Now look where it got me.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 11:15 AM   #57
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Oh I know it'll take me awhile to get to the big 500. But hey. I got to start thining. I'm not that far away now. Only about 250 posts left. And even then, I still have to wait to get the pm. But I'd still like to think of something before the time comes. It's better to plan ahead then to leave everything last minute, right?? (probably completlely off there but I thought that would make me look smarter )
I think everyone will have to wait a while now - Permission for Personal Titles is granted every few months. It isn't something that happens automatically when you hit 500 posts. Presumably it makes life easier for the Powers that be, and it is more fun to see what others in the cohort have chosen.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:29 AM   #58
Elonve
Wight

mourned maiden?
mysterious maiden?
maiden of the myst?
melincolic maiden?
mad maiden?

Knight of faith?
________
Mercedes-Benz W196 Specifications

Last edited by Elonve; 04-09-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:15 AM   #59
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Quote:
I think everyone will have to wait a while now - Permission for Personal Titles is granted every few months. It isn't something that happens automatically when you hit 500 posts. Presumably it makes life easier for the Powers that be, and it is more fun to see what others in the cohort have chosen.~Mithalwen.
Yeah, I don't think I got mine until about 800 posts. Mostly because I goofed off for a while, then I cracked down, got serious and participated in the CbC threads. Now I've slipped back to goofing off.

Anyway, point is, 500 posts is just one of the prerequisites for attaining a personal title. It's at the B-W and other deciding people (don't know who they are, but assume it's Mister Underhill) disgression. You must have it offered to you because you have made a "good contribution" to the forum.

And I think that works, because if you think about it someone could post 500 times but it could all be junk that adds nothing to the forum, or to the intellect of the downers.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:15 PM   #60
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
A Journey into Realms of the Ridiculous

Quote:
i remember back when, by a glitch, The Perky Ent's was registered User, i found that cool
I think Ainaserkewen also had that title for awhile! Probably some others, too. It would be amusing if someone actually chose that for a PT!

Quote:
Oh I know it'll take me awhile to get to the big 500. But hey. I got to start thining. I'm not that far away now. Only about 250 posts left. And even then, I still have to wait to get the pm. But I'd still like to think of something before the time comes. It's better to plan ahead then to leave everything last minute, right?? (probably completlely off there but I thought that would make me look smarter
Or, you may be taken completely by surprise like I was! I, too, thought you had to reach the big 500 before you even thought about getting a PT. Imagine my surprise when I got a PM at 400-something posts! I think it was around 430-450 range or so, my memory is terrible. But I tend to rant and write long posts more often and fewer of them, so maybe that was part of it. I also agonize about certain posts and leave them up on my screen for hours,while I do dishes and go to the store 50 miles away, etc. etc. Maybe that's part of it? (No, I'm making that up!) Also, I get more of a kick out of discussion of PT's than the actual PT's themselves, which, if you think about it, once you've chosen, all you can do is live with being the "Haunted Halfling" even if you change utterly beyond anything in your wildest imaginings when first you were sent the magic PM...but, as I said, I think too much about oddities and tend to spin off into the ridiculous! Who's to say I'm not a Sassy Sprite or even Kaptin Knickers at times? But a title never tells all!

Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 12:41 PM   #61
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen
Welcome back, Formssy preciouss!

Vanima, I almost chose Heavenly Hauntress, but I was reminded of your PT so I decided to play around with the words instead for a bit more originality. Now look where it got me.
I suddenly feel very influential. I still love "Ethereal Enchantress", though - as I said, like a good, well-thought-out tattoo.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:35 PM   #62
Elonve
Wight

If it has to go with my avatar then
crazed kitty would work well...no?
________
UGGS

Last edited by Elonve; 04-09-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:07 PM   #63
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
Well I guess I am now elligable but I think it will take a while since I haven't gone to the Barrow downs often lately. Well I just blame summer and the beginning of university.
I haven't thought of any titles yet but I think I will think of something eventually.
Those who already got titles, great job!
Old 09-12-2005, 09:07 PM   #64
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Melancholy Baby has a nice sound.

Old 09-12-2005, 09:39 PM   #65
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Thumbs up

Deathless yet Doomed, which was used to describe the Noldor in . . . Narn, I think, would make a good PT for any Downer using a Noldorin name.
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 10:35 PM   #66
Elonve
Wight

how about angel of death?

or Samurai of Swankynessnessness?
________
Babes live

Last edited by Elonve; 04-09-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:06 AM   #67
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elonve
or Samurai of Swankynessnessness?
That's a good one, if it's not too long

I myself have thought about The Green Wizard, Immortal Grey Echo and Immortal maiden elven-wise . The first is because my friends call me that, the second is a combination of the meanings of Thinlómien and my real name and the last is a very beautiful phrase that describes Lúthien. If I've developed myself so much from my current state that I can call myself elven-wise then I'll probably take that, otherwise I'll consider the first ones or something else. Luckily I have lots of time...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 09:47 PM   #68
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
Leaf Oxymoron indeed!

Here's one for me: Oxymoron of the Downs

Someone used me (I think) in a 'guess which Barrow Downer this is' type of game. Perky Ent, of course, is an oxymoron. Therefore, Oxymoron of the Downs! There you go
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:48 PM   #69
Elonve
Wight

The voice of death.
I quite like that!
________
Body science

Last edited by Elonve; 04-09-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:56 PM   #70
Dasol

I first wanted to be called 'Imperishable Flame', before I noticed someone titled 'Perishable Flame' to my dismay.

Maybe 'Eorl of Korea'. I always liked Eorl, somehow, and when he is described in LOTR, he is always called 'Eorl of Rohan' or 'Eorl of Rohirrim', and it does have a nice ring to it.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:18 AM   #71
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: Standing amidst the slaughter I have wreaked upon the orcs
Neurion has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Maybe something like Elven Warrior, or Blade in Mortal Form.

"And a cold voice rang forth from the blade.

Yea, I will drink thy blood, that I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly."
Neurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:16 AM   #72
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Great ideas, all. Especially the Eorl things and that Blade-thing by Neurion...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 11:15 PM   #73
Elonve
Wight

void of umpty emptyness is pretty cool!

maybe i want thingamajigger as my PT?

Dasol, maybe this should be in a PM but isn't in Corea? I am confused !
________
thai girl Cam

Last edited by Elonve; 04-09-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:56 AM   #74
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

I still think I should go with something that has Poet in it. But I can't think of anything right now. Any ideas?
Old 09-29-2005, 06:20 AM   #75
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
I still think I should go with something that has Poet in it. But I can't think of anything right now. Any ideas?
Nice thought, Glirdan, but at the Barrow Downs we tend to aim for a Personal Title that is both original and applicable in some way to our screen character. And related to Middle-earth, naturally. We already have The Perilous Poet in the person of Rimbaud. Perhaps you could satisfy your desire for a language-based moniker by choosing some other name which related to your activities here, such as, say, "Spellcaster" or "Dead Editor"? After you earn one, of course!

Just a suggestion!

Last edited by Bêthberry; 09-29-2005 at 06:28 AM.
Bêthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:26 AM   #76
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Pipe

If I ever get one it'll proably be 'Gamer Jedi Ranger' or something of that sort or perhaps 'The Stranger Ranger'.
Just a suggestion but perhaps there should be a monthly vote where people pick whom they believe has 'earned' a Personal Title.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:35 AM   #77
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy Ranger
Just a suggestion but perhaps there should be a monthly vote where people pick whom they believe has 'earned' a Personal Title.
Sorry, but there's only one person who decides who gets a personal title, and that's The Barrow Wight. We already have a system which allows all members to vote for posts that they consider good - the reputation system.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 11:03 AM   #78
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Glirdan - if you are intent on picking something poetic, I suggest Wordsmith, or perhaps Wordsmyth. I thought of having that in my pt, but decided that stressing my skill with words on a forum with Squatter on it would be a foolhardy venture.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:48 PM   #79
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

I rather like those TGWBS. Thanks!! I might actually use one.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:02 PM   #80
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
1420!

Well, I just got a PM asking if I want a personal title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BW
(1) Try to keep it at 25 characters or less
(2) Keep it within the theme of the Downs*
(3) Be sure of your choice - changes are seldom allowe
The only one's I posted on this thread for me were 'Shepherd of the Hasty' (Don't really like that one that much) and 'Oxymoron of the Downs' (that's a maybe ) As TGWBS put it,
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGWBS
Now to choose a name that doesn't completely suck.
I've got a cold that's keeping my mind from thinking well right now Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Perky
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote