Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2005, 03:49 PM   #521
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

"My goodness, don't the tears flow! Quick, quick, take my hankie. Oh, wait, it will be drenched and fail to stop the torrent. Here, take up the bedsheets quickly before we all are drowned."

Despite herself, Saeryn's mouth turned up slightly with grins at this remark, which she desperately attempted to hide.

"I hadn't realised what girlish practices you maintained, despite your eagerness to wear those breeches, Saeryn," said Bethberry with a melodious timbre to her voice which considerably lightened the bathetic tone which Saeryn had struck. "If you wish to climb out of the gilded cage, leave the gilded behaviours behind as well, and think more seriously about the consequences of your behaviour."

Saeryn looked at Bethberry inquisitively, as if asking for clarification.

"You had implored us to harbour you safely from strangers and intruders yet here you have brought a stranger to your room yourself without anyone's knowledge. I'm sure your intentions were kindly and well meant--here Bethberry smiled at the forelorn younger girl who seemed rooted to the spot--but you need to think more circumspectly as well."

Saeryn said nothing, chestfallen as she was that her heroic ideals of her actions were dashed.

"Come now," said the Innkeeper, " is this small, wee girl Ćňel? How do you do, young miss? And you were hiding in the stable? I'll warrent it wasn't warm enough for you, for you are shivering and look very pale and wan. I am Bethberry, the Innkeeper here at The White Horse."

She put out her hand to shake with Ćňel, an action the young girl could barely believe. Never before had anyone respected her well enough to shake her hand, except for her father and family. It was a timid shake, yet the touch cleared the air of any hard feelings and fears.

"You have dressed yourself sensibly, however, and look more than presentable to any group of people, either here or at the Golden Hall."

Here, Ćňel's eyes widened with fearful thought of powerful groups of people and fancy lords and ladies. Bethberry noted the sign and responded accordingly.

"Nay, be not so afraid. We are but common folk here, minding our own ways and seeking some bit of cheer at times to lighten our days. We turn no deserving soul away, unless it is by the eagerness of our young lads to speak of marriage."

Bethberry winked at Saeryn and then turned back to young Ćňel.

"Come, I think the kitchen has finished serving the meal, but I'm sure I can find something for you, if you wish to a quiet spot by the warmth of the fire and away from prying eyes." The smile on the Innkeeper's face fell warmly upon Ćňel's heart as she prepared to reply.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 08-08-2005 at 04:54 PM. Reason: removing siggie
Old 08-08-2005, 09:51 PM   #522
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Saeryn was glad to see that Bethberry did not mean to turn the girl away, or to subject her to company she was uncomfortable with. She should have guessed as much, but the circumstances hadn't seemed to warrant any actions other than finding the girl clothes and getting her food. Any cost would have been attributed to Saeryn, and with luck, nobody would think enough to ask where the girl had come from. Surely it was frowned upon to hide in a stable... She hastily wiped her tears and scolded herself for her maidenly display. Tripping slightly over her own feet, she caught up with the Innkeeper and the girl. She caught Bethberry lightly by the arm and the older woman stopped, looking down slightly to meet her eyes.
"I'm very sorry, ma'am. I wasn't thinking. She seemed to offer no harm and I thought I could help her." She spoke more to the Innkeeper's chin than her eyes, but it was a brave effort when she had so unexpectedly suffered the woman's disappointment. "And..." she fell silent. Bethberry afforded her a kind gaze.

"And?" she prodded gently.

"Could... could Eodwine and Gudryn and the twins and... and everyone... and especially Degas... could they not know..." she paused again. "Could we not let them know I acted so... could we not tell them that I cried?"

At this, the woman and the girl both smiled. Saeryn looked up beseechingly.

"I just... when someone cries... everyone thinks they're weak. And it's bad enough to be alone," she spoke quickly, nervous. "but to be alone and perceived as unable... I know my brother is here somewhere... but I would much rather not be seen as... well... as a helpless girl." She finished lamely, sure that this request would be met with another rebuke. It seemed that nothing she said or did, no matter how noble or honorable she thought it, would sit right today.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:25 AM   #523
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

"Saeryn, my dear, if you wish others not to know, then be the first to act with discretion and I certainly will follow."

Saeryn looked quizzically at the Innkeeper, sniffing a bit and biting her lip and seemingly too all at sorts to be able to follow.

Bethberry smiled. "If you appear in the Great Hall, before all the gallant lads, with red-ringed eyes, tears teetering on your lashes, cheeks moist with lachrymose charm, then, you will give all away. " Bethberry picked up a corner of her apron and gently wiped away the residue of glistening emotion on Saeryn's cheek.

"There, slightly more in control of ourselves now."

For her part, Ćňel seemed even more timorous for all this demonstration and pushed herself towards the wall, where a lantern hanging from a dark oak beam nearly beaned her.

"Lass," said Bethberry, "there are better ways to become enlightened than afixing onself to a lantern. Come, don't mind us, as we know one another, which you shall soon too. Let's get some warmth in your belly and colour in your cheek before those lads set their eyes upon you. Fearsome creatures they are, and you will need all your strength to combat them."

A giggle from Saeryn was enough to help Ćňe understand how to take all this, and slowly a small, hesitant smile creased her face.

What were the lads to do, thought the Innkeeper, with another lass? Bethberry almost thought she caught sight of at least one of the twins--Garreth?-- wandering the hall, looking towards the kitchen wondering where Saeryn had gone. She herself also wondered how Eodwine was doing with Giedd and allowed herself a slow inward smile.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:46 AM   #524
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Saeryn smiled again, relieved to be back in Bethberry's good graces. She politely excused herself back into her room to clean herself up a bit. Splashing her face with water, she washed away the tear stains. Inspecting herself in a small mirror, she noted that her damp hair would be a dead give-away to an impromptu washing and pulled her tresses into a braid. A few stubborn pieces fell away into her face, but she had learned to live with such inconveniences. Her blouse wet, she exchanges that and her now horse-scented breeches for a clean gown. The dark grey fabric paled her cheeks, making her look remarkably more delicate than she had in mine. She pulled the damp shirt and the breeches back on and reappeared in the hall.

"Excuse me one more moment." she muttered, making her way to the next door. She would simply borrow another of Degas' shirts. Upon opening the door, she noted that he was not in the room. Where in the world was he? He tended to rise earlier than she, but she had not seen hide nor hair of him since last night. Disregarding the thought, she raided his bags, pulling a crimson blouse from the depths. She laced it swiftly and left the previously borrowed white one on his bed. It would dry before he knew it.

Slipping back into the hall way, Saeryn looked as refreshed as though she'd never lost control of her emotions. "Shall we eat?" she asked with a mischievous glint in her eye. "All of this activity has made me rather hungry."
Old 08-11-2005, 01:30 PM   #525
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
"Ah, there you are, lassy!" cried Garreth. Saeryn had just entered the hall. He bent at the waist to bring his eyes down to the level of the girls. "And who might this pretty young friend of yours be, Saeryn lass?"

"Garreth," said Bęthberry with authority, "since you haven't reserved a room as well as board, I'll not have you dallying about in my hallways. Back to the Common room with you! You can greet the lasses in the better light out there."

"But-" Garreth started.

"Get!" Bęthberry pointed back down the hall.

"Yes'm." Garreth turned, shamefaced, and loped back down the hallway to the common room.

"He and his twin brother Harreld are smiths of Edoras. They eat here often, seeing as many lasses have been known to come and go. Those two are ready to marry the next thing in a skirt that comes through a door. So be on your guard, my sweets."

Saeryn winked to Bęthberry as Ćňel nodded her head slowly and earnestly.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 08-22-2005 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:31 AM   #526
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Even as Saeryn and the innkeeper gently lead her towards the inns kitchens she could not help but look back over her shoulder to the door the young man had hastily retreated through, his easily smile and knavish glint had remained her of another, a wane smile pursed her lips as she was reminded of the dark haired lad who’s boyish laughter and mischievous wink almost always meant trouble even if it wasn’t his intent. But all to quickly the memories of sneaking cookies as they passed through the kitchens to the yard and balancing half full water buckets above stable doors and climbing the bell tower to watch their latest victim enjoy a cold shower vanished and where replaced with the last time she had seen her dearest friend. He was no longer a boy but a young man and apprentice in his fathers accounting business, he had not recognised her at first
thinking her but only a servant of the house until she had spoken. Three years had passed since her uncle had taken over and fired her fathers staff of which His father had been part, Sadly she recalled his anger at the mistreatment she had received all these years an anger that had forced him to confronted her uncle vowing to take her away and promising to make sure he paid for what he had done. But that was to be her last memory of him as after that things went dreadfully wrong and she would likely never see him again…how could she even face him after what she had done! She blinked back the tears fearing they would lead to questions she was not yet willing to answer and turned back to the two women as they pushed open the kitchen door and lead her through.

“I could swear that I left it outside,” a young woman was saying as she shook her head bemusedly, a guilty uneasiness struck Ćňelhild as she recognised the woman as the one who had been feeding the birds outside when she had first encountered the inn.

“Well you do insist on feeding those damned ungrateful squawking pests, it was only a matter of time before the greedy things started taking without your leave !” another woman some what older and elbow deep in soapy bubbles answered shaking her head. “ I’m telling you if I catch em at my pies while they’re cooling they’ll feel the bristle end o’ my brush I tell ye they will!” she went on grabbing a nearby broom with a dripping hand and shaking it at the open window.

“Well if you don’t drown us all first, perhaps well get to those pies?” the younger woman laughed lifting a mop and cleaning up the older woman’s soapy trail.

“Soap and feathers a messy combination I’ll warrant!” Bethberry grinned causing both women to stop and turn .

“Ah miz Bethberry what can we do you for, your not here to clean pots I’ll warrant and miz Saeryn I don’t recall seeing you at breakfast this morning and ….ah who is this young thing!” the older woman asked circling Ćňelhild appraising her up and down. “Oh my miz Bethberry, who is this child she looks like she hasn’t eaten in months all skin and bones I’m surprised she can support what little weight she has!” the woman remarked astounded.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:15 AM   #527
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

"I ate, ma'am," said Saeryn quietly, and nearly ever truthful, "but not much, and early. I was not at breakfast though."

She could still feel the soft bandages, already lighter and looser than before, to remind her of the accident. What on earth had spooked her fearless mare into throwing her? She could not remember. The things that alluded her thought bore into her, dancing on the edges of clarity and driving her impatient with wonder. She loved to know things, and to have jostled memories of her own life from her head was not something she liked much. She had avoided breakfast to sit alone and try to remember more before spending time with men who seemed to know more of her lineage than she. She could remember quite clearly vowing to keep it as secret as were possible, to give the impression of a common lass out for adventure, and yet they seemed to know more than she would have liked. A runaway noble with what family left trailing behind like so many uninvited ducklings. Such thoughts wore her out and made her hungry.

"And yes," she added as an after thought. "I met up with this friend of mine outside a bit ago when I was visiting my mare. I thought it would be nice to share breakfast. Is there anything left?" As was before said, Saeryn was nearly always truthful, and most nearly always for a good cause. Surely in time the girl could be considered a friend, if she stayed, so that was not bending the truth much. She qualified her lie by telling herself that she befriended all in need. After all... there was no need to tell the world that the poor girl had been hiding in the stables. If she wanted the Inn to know, she would tell them. A small lie was rather better than betraying a secret that was not yours.

"Bethberry, would you like to join us?"
Old 08-22-2005, 10:04 AM   #528
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Eodwine

While Garreth is gone up the hallway...

"Found your tongue," grumbled Harreld to Garreth's departing back, "I never lost it, brother o' mine, 'tisn't pointed enough to stick in edgewise between all your blathering." He glanced at the Lady Giedd. "Your pardon, please," he said, nodding, "for my grumbling words, lady. 'Tis just that compared to my brother, a jester would seem shy."

Eodwine smiled. "Harreld, I deem you a good man, and deserving of a good wife. Maybe you need to spend more of your time away from your brother, for the good of both of you."

Harreld looked at Eodwine as if struck with an unheard of notion; then he tilted his head. "Why have I never thought of that?"

"Twins will twine in thought and deed, as the saying goes," said Falco.

"Aye," Harreld replied, "'tis true enough what you say, Master Falco. I think I will do as you suggest, Eodwine, my friend, starting right this moment. I've finished breaking my fast at any rate. Tell my brother that he will find me at the smithy, for I mean to work ahead and have some extra time come evening." He stood and bowed to the lady. "Good day to you." Harreld left the inn.

"Well there's a wonder and no mistake," said Falco. "Let's see what Garreth thinks, eh?"

Eodwine laughed, then turned to Gudryn. "What would you say, my daughter, to giving the good lady company on the way back to her fair home, if she does not mind?"

Gudryn nodded her head with delight. "I would like that!"

Both daughter and father looked to Giedd to see what she would say to his offer.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 08-22-2005 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:44 PM   #529
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril Giedd, Eodwine and Gudryn Leave the Inn

Giedd felt Gudryn and Eodwine’s eyes turn in her direction. She looked briefly out the window – at the sun growing steadily higher in the heavens. Giedd still had not rinsed her cup – and it should soon be time for her to engage in her other chores. At the same time, Giedd wished she would not have to leave this man and the dear girl. His words made it evident that some sort of parting was to some degree necessary, however. She paused a moment before voicing her opinion.

“Well,” she began, “You have made the morning more enjoyable than many I have endured as of late, if I may speak candidly. But, I should be getting back to my house. And,” she added, “I would very much delight in having both of you accompany me back.”

A voice in the back of Giedd’s head whispered, mentioning how very small her house was, and how little it appeared to be from the outside, cozy though it was once one entered the door. Giedd pushed that voice even farther back, until it was unintelligible, reminding herself what a kind man this Eodwine was. He would not take offense at her modest living style. It struck Giedd as rather odd that she would even think to care what he thought of her abode. Much of the town – man, woman and child – knew exactly where to find Giedd should her presence be necessary.

Trying to disguise her thoughts, Giedd rose and put on what she hoped was a sincere smile. Gudryn returned with the smile that only a child – no matter how jaded the child – can give. Giedd felt her heart lift again within her chest.

Graciously, the trio bid Falco farewell and moved towards the door of the Inn. Once out in the fresh air, Giedd once again examined the position of the sun.

“It is not so late as I thought,” she said with surprise. “The sun indicated that it was later when we were inside the Inn.”

“That is good, then,” Eodwine said, smiling, “We don’t have to run through the streets to get you home.”

Giedd laughed a little, imagining the three of them sprinting through the streets, upending carts and knocking into people. As the day had worn on a bit since she entered the Inn, there were more people in the avenues now – a few even greeted Giedd as they walked by and looked curiously at her escorts. Giedd smiled and wondered if Eodwine would notice the extra attention he was getting as he walked with her. It was so rare that a man would walk with Giedd, she realized, that it must certainly be a novelty to the people of the town. If Giedd were ever accompanied by another on her walks, it was almost certainly a woman in most cases, especially if they had a child with them. She kept one eye on Eodwine, waiting to see if he questioned or even mentioned his curious treatment.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:51 AM   #530
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Ćňelhild stared uncomfortably at her feet as deep dark careworn eyes studied her malnourished appearance, she almost let out a sigh of relief as Saeryn’s voice suddenly drew the woman’s attention away. The woman’s general assessment had been more right than she cared to admit infact if it hadn’t been for the stale bread she had denied the birds and the apple Saeryn had kindly offered her in the stables she probably would not be able to hold herself up especially with the weight of her fathers sword adding to her own. She hugged the weapon tightly as she looked gratefully over in the young woman direction, in her mind she knew she would have to find some way to thank her properly but at the moment she could not think how. It was then that she noticed the loose bandaging around the young woman’s head, “A riding accident” Bethberry whispered next to her as if reading her thoughts. “nothing too serious” the innkeeper smiled assuredly as her mild curiosity turned to sudden concern, “A little memory loss, but nothing that should not return with time” the woman went on her eyes now looking past her to the young red head, giving Ćňelhild the impression that she was not entirely sure in that assessment, but she did not press that matter after all it was not her place to interfere in the affairs of others.

Just then the young woman turned and asked the innkeeper if she would be joining them, the innkeeper inclined her head thoughtfully, “I have already eaten but another cup of tea would not go amiss” she winked in cooks direction. Then she directed then to a large wooden table where they sat as the cook and her assistant busied themselves preparing them a warm breakfast of scrambled eggs and toast. As they waited the conversation remained general with talk of the good weather and Bethberry’s inquiry as to the well-being of Saeryn’s mare after the fright of the previous day, Ćňelhild had relaxed considerable as the younger woman assured the innkeeper that both she and the mare were none the worse for their fright.

“You really should keep the bandages tight to avoid swelling,” she offered almost without thinking as the cook returned placing warmed plates before them. All three woman looked at her, surprised that she would know such things. Ćňelhild then realised that she had perhaps offered to much, but also knowing that it was too late to recant she pushed back her chair, and placing her fathers cloth wrapped sword against the table she rose and came toward the young woman, indicating to the loose bandages awaiting her consent. Saeryn looked toward Bethberry who nodded with mild curiosity in her eyes. Gentle unwinding the binding Ćňelhild was please to smell the distinct smell of the appropriate salve whoever had tended Saeryn was an accomplished healer and Ćňelhild could see that the wound was healing well, so she rewrapped the bandages tightly and securely to help the swelling recede.

“You are a healer?” Saeryn asked as she felt the bindings and watched Ćoelhild return to her seat, “oh no, I am not as gifted as the healer who tended your injury” she admitted looking at both women, “but during the war it was required that all who could helped in the tending of the wounded.” at this admission she looked down at her plate and lifting her fork she moved it idly through the steamy eggs, remembering how bad that time had seemed to her, but it was nothing to what came after.

“So you are from Gondor?” the innkeeper queried as she lifted her tea and blew before sipping gingerly. Ćňelhild’s eyes again shot up unable to believe that she had just done it again, letting virtually complete strangers know that she was from Gondor was the one thing she had meant not to do, but she guessed that they would find out eventually, her dark hair and eyes standing her apart from most of the inhabitance of these lands. Slowly she nodded that it was so, unaware of Saeryns uncomfortable shift as she lifted a heap of warmed eggs to her mouth. It was such a deliciously welcomed change from wild berries and scavenged scraps that she quickly took a second mouthful and then a third, before sipping at the tea that the cook poured for her.

“Edoras is such a long way from Gondor?” Saeryn pressed cautiously, Ćňelhild looked up nodding “yes a very long way” she answered vaguely remembering the blisters on her feet and trying to avoid further questions, but the innkeeper was curious and pressed her further. “So what brings you to Edoras?” she asked.

She looked at the two woman thoughtfully for a moment before answering, “Well to be honest Edoras was not my destination,” she was not really sure where she had intended to go all that she knew was that she had had to get away, but necessity and the lack of coin and food had forced her into the city. “I thought to look for work and shelter for a time, if I could” she answered truthfully, though the former had proved difficult due to her dishevelled appearance, “but no one wants to take on someone who looks like they might drop at any moment.” she answered sadly.

“I am sorry that I snuck into the stable I didn’t mean any harm I didn’t think anyone would mind if I shut my eyes for just a few moments,” again she looked down at her now almost empty plate, “Please do not fault Saeryn not many people would be so kind as she towards …well someone like me.” Ćňelhild was painfully aware of what she had become she was no longer the young Gondorian noble child, but and orphan a waif with no home or family to call her own an outlaw in her own lands. Suddenly she was no longer hungry and it occurred to her that just being here she may have brought trouble upon the innkeeper and the young woman who had befriended her, though for months she had heard or seen nothing of her pursuers, perhaps they had given up or lost her trail. Though she would regret bringing any trouble to the two women she had no choice she needed to rest and find time to raise funds then she would move on again and if she was careful what the young woman and the innkeeper did not know could not harm them. She lapsed into silence as she sipped thoughtfully at her tea.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:14 PM   #531
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Eodwine & Gudryn walk with Giedd

It was a pleasant, sunny day, reaching towards noon. The streets of Edoras were busy with carters, sellers of wares, errand boys, and shoppers inspecting the wares of the sellers. The lady Giedd seemed pleased with her company, but even more pleased was Gudryn, who while holding Eodwine's right hand in her left, had eyes only for the woman who walked on her right.

Gudryn acted every bit the child, though she was in her early teens; but this did not surprise Eodwine, considering what the poor waif had been through in the northeast of Rohan. So it was no surprise when Gudryn asked the lady if she would hold her right hand. Giedd's brow rose in mild surprise, and after a brief glance at Eodwine, she smiled and allowed her hand to be taken by the girl. And so they threesome traipsed through the town market, gathering glances and stares from all sides.

"'Twould seem that we three are a sight to see, the way the townsfolk gift us with their glances!" said Eodwine.

"I think," Giedd said, "they are not used to seeing me-" she paused and blushed a little "-like this."

"Like what?" asked Gudryn while Eodwine smiled to himself; he guessed what Giedd had meant, considering her earlier words.

"Oh, I am often in the company of women and children," Giedd said, as if that was all that needed to be said.

Gudryn frowned a moment, then looked at Eodwine, then she broke out in a grin, and skipping between the man and the woman said, "I can't wait to see your house!"

Falco & Garreth back at the White Horse

Falco was busy with second breakfast when Garreth walked back into the Common room. The smith stopped short and looked wide-eyed at the table where Falco ate alone.

"Where is everybody?" asked the smith. Falco chewed thoroughly while Garreth loped to the table and sat down in the chair next to him, causing the floorboards beneath his chair to positively squeak in protest. "Well?"

Falco swallowed. "Harreld went back to the smithy to get a headstart on the day's work."

"He what!" Falco eyed Garreth as he chewed on his next bite of honied hardroll. "Why'd he go and do that?"

"Maybe 'cause it's what he does for a living? And maybe you could stand to yourself?"

Garreth cocked his head at Falco. "Now that's no way to speak to a friend. Leastways, I was considering you a friend."

"And you may still, but that won't stop me from sayin' what needs to be said. Go and get some of your smithying done, my friend, or Harreld will beat you back here and have all the elitgible young ladies to himself."

Garreth's eyes widened. "So that's the way of it!" He slapped his thigh. "Now that makes more sense. I'll be off now, and work faster than Harreld has ever seen, and be back afore he's even halfway done!" Garreth marched to the front door of the Inn and slammed it to behind him.

Falco chuckled to himself and shook his head, swigging down some coffee. He didn't see Ruthven behind him, watching him with a sideways smile, shaking her head.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:40 AM   #532
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

"This is my home." Giedd gestured to the front door, which was decorated winningly across the top with horses in full gallop. Most appropriate, thought Eodwine. "Would you like to come inside?"

"Eodwine!" came an urgent voice from the direction Meduseld, amid the clatter of hoofs. "Master Eodwine!"

Eodwine turned. "Beorctild! Good greetings! What news!"

The man was as big as a bear, his hair yellow as straw. His horse was big enough to hold him, blowing heated air from its nostrils. "The King summons you, Eodwine! A message must go to Gondor today!"

"My thanks, Beorctild. Please tell the king I shall come to him within the hour."

Beorctild bowed and cantered back up the hill.

Eodwine turned to Giedd. "I fear that I cannot accept your invitation at this time."

"If you are called away," said Giedd, "maybe Gudryn would like to stay with me a while?"

"My thanks, lady. Or you could ride with me, Gudryn," Eodwine replied, "'tis your choice to make. Do what you wish, my daughter."
Old 09-10-2005, 09:50 AM   #533
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril Giedd and Gudryn alone

Gudryn looked from Giedd to Eodwine, and Giedd could see the girl’s mind working. She looked from Giedd to Eodwine. Giedd could sense that Gudryn was torn between getting to know this new woman or staying with her father.

Selfishly, Giedd found herself hoping that the girl would stay. Giedd always enjoyed doing her chores more if she had someone to talk to. Chores, she discovered, were lonely – even when her feeble parents were alive, it was a comfort to have them to at least speak to while she bustled around the house. Even in the stages when they could not respond, just having another body watching her was nice.

Guedryn bit her bottom lip as she seemed to make up her mind. It was clear she knew time was vital and that she could not waste her father’s time pondering what she wanted to do.

“I will stay with Giedd,” she said in a firm voice. “I suppose if you cannot accept her invitation, it would be good of me to.”

Eodwine nodded without asking for further explanation. “I will return as soon as it is possible, daughter,” he said. After a brief farewell and a few words of apology to Giedd, Eodwine took his leave.

“Will you now come in?” Giedd asked Gudryn after a pause.

“I would like that,” the girl’s voice held a little apprehension in it.

As she opened the door and allowed Gudryn to enter before her, Giedd added, “Though I am sure you would like to be with your father as much as possible, I am glad that at this juncture you chose to spend time with me. I would most certainly enjoy your company, Gudryn.”

The girl managed a small smile up at Giedd. Giedd hoped the girl was not already regretting her decision to remain with a woman she had just met today.

“I hope you will pardon the slightly cluttered state of things,” Giedd apologized, “I was going to tidy up a bit this afternoon. You do not mind, I hope?”

“Would you like me to assist you?” Gudryn asked, looking at the tiny bits of chores lying here and there around the house.

“Well, you can assist me by staying and speaking with me,” Giedd said, smiling as she went over to the small pile of dishes that still needed washing. At this Gudryn did grin, and, displaying a bit more comfort with her situation, went and sat on a chair while Giedd began doing her tasks.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:01 AM   #534
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Shield

The morn wore on as the sun passed overhead and then on westwards whence men could never follow. Bethberry had spent a pleasing time with the new young waif Ćňelhild and Sćryn, dawdling over tea while they ate, away from the eyes of the hungry smiths. Sometimes it strengthened one to stay away from such gazes and Bethberry suspected this young one might have reasons to avoid direction recognition. Yet, out of the most innocent of comments stories could be drawn out and Bethberry, while being discrete, had surmised something of the girl's situation. Shortly, though, she had excused herself to attend to business. And as she walked the halls of the White Horse, she mused.

How strange, she thought, to find so many homeless girls astray on the land. What was it that was forcing them away from their homes and families? What drew them to Edoras? People here had no greater use for women than any where else in Rohan; there were no more jobs to be had in the Courts than in any of the other towns and villages that dotted the land. Yet still they came. Was it shelter or desperation?

Finding no easy answer, the Innkeeper turned to the business of running the Inn. She inquired of the maids if anything was needed for the laundry and if anything were missing from any rooms. It was amazing how often towels went astray. You'd think that there was a market somewhere for linen marked with an embroidered white horse the way they went missing. Still, Bethberry knew that was one way travellers came to hear of The White Horse. Paying customers were always needed given the way destitute characters seemed to be calling upon the Horse's good graces.

Later in the afternoon Bethberry attended to her most pleasant task, the designing of a new banner to hang in the rafters in the Meadhall. It was one of the few ways she was able to practice her love of creativity and beauty and she looked forward to the rare opportunity. This banner was to mark the ancient history of the fall of the east and the rise of the Dark Riders, The Shadow of the West it was called. It was a story told in whispers in the days before the War of the Ring, for not much had been known, but since Aragorn had taken the throne in Gondor some people were speaking more openly and directly about events in their history. It was a change Bethberry respected and admired, for those who did not know their past could not be prepared to face their future, she felt.

The Innkeeper became lost in thought as she contemplated the kind of design and the colours for the banner. The day flowed on into late afternoon and soon the many patrons would return for dinner and conviviality....
Old 10-07-2005, 06:40 PM   #535
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Eodwine

There was a knock on Giedd's door. It was late afternoon; Eodwine had left Gudryn with him two hours ago.

"Who could that be?" Giedd asked, to which Gudryn shrugged. Giedd set her dust cloth on the nearest flat surface and went to the door. Opening it, she found Eodwine standing before her, a strange look in his eye. "Good greeting, Master Eodwine. Were you not off to Gondor? Or do you want your daughter with you after all?"

Eodwine shook his head mutely, then licking his seemingly dry lips, said, "Beorctild had it wrong. There was no message to Gondor. May I come in?"

Giedd stepped out of the doorway and let Eodwine pass, her brow creasing. Something was amiss, for the man said less than he meant; that much was clear for his shoulders were hunched and his head lowered in a way that seemed most out of character.

"Would you like something to drink?"

"Aye," he nodded, sitting next to Gudryn, "that would be well."

Giedd busied herself with pouring water from her jug into an extra tankard, as Gudryn watched her foster father with signs of fear and worry growing on her face. Giedd handed Eodwine the tankard and broke the silence.

"Is something amiss?"

Eodwine dropped the tankard from his lips and regarded the woman Giedd. "The King has no further need of me for his messages. I am released from my duties."
Old 10-13-2005, 07:29 PM   #536
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Eodwine

Eodwine approached the door to the White Horse Inn as the sun hid behind the golden hall of the King, casting long shadows over the town of Edoras; dusk was still a way off. He opened the door.

The fragrance of the evening meal wafted out the door and Eodwine breathed in deeply, a smile coming to his unusually dour face. He stepped into the homey light and warmth of the Inn, his stomach growling.

There was Master Falco Boffin at table, just having begun his first supper, Eodwine supposed. The hobbit turned his head to see who entered, and his jaw dropped. He closed it and swallowed.

"Eodwine! You here! Word was you were off on an errand with the King, and without me! What happened?"

Eodwine did not reply, but kept a no-tale face on, walking to the table where Falco was, and sat down beside him.

"That looks like an excellent repast. Is there more of it?"

Falco eyed him with a dubious air. "Not telling, eh?"

"Supper and a good long drink first. Where is everybody?"

"Everybody who?"

"Ruthven. Bethberry. Saeryn. Garreth. Harreld. For example."

"Haven't seen the smith brothers. Saeryn's about ... somewhere. Ruthven I haven't seen in a couple hours. Bethberry's in and out. Where's Gudryn?"

"I left her with Giedd for the evening. I'll pick her up before nightfall."

"Leaving her with the strange woman? Mighty trusting, eh?"

"She's well known in Edoras."

"Is that the all of it, Master Eodwine of the Gap?" Falco was grinning mischievously.

"'Tis enough for now. I'm ready for some supper, watching you fill your mouth with that fare. I wonder me if I should make a foray to the kitchen."

"Do that and you may lose an ear, the way I saw Bethberry handle Garreth over lunch."

"Aye. Maybe I'll wait." Eodwine settled back in his chair while Falco wiped the last bit of stew with a chunk of brown bread.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 10-13-2005 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:41 PM   #537
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

"I am here." said Saeryn quietly, joining Falco and Eodwine from behind. "It's been that sort of a quiet day... I'm not certain where anybody else is, though I believe that my young friend from this morning is visiting with Mistress Bethberry near the fire."

She sat beside Eodwine, smiling as he made room for her. She sipped her warm tea, enjoying the warmth that spread through her fingers as she held the cup and breathed softly the scent of the brew. The weather had turned during the day, and no manner of layered clothing seemed to take the chill out of the air. Even the crackling fire only warmed her so much. Cold... she thought... I hate being cold. Beneath her breeches, Saeryn wore thick white hose, with soft kid boots laced up her lower legs, with her breeches tucked neatly into the tops. She wore a thin cotten shirt beneath another borrowed blouse from her brother's stores. She still had no idea where he'd gone, but she was not worried. Degas had left all of his things... he would return. Over all, she wore a fitted scarlet vest, laced tight. Were they not too cumbersome, she'd have considered gloves. She even wore her long auburn curls falling loosly past her shoulders, counting on it's extra warmth on the back of her neck.

"And of course there is more supper, Eodwine. If you like, I'll bring you some so you need not get up again."
Old 10-13-2005, 08:08 PM   #538
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

"That would be most kind of you, Lady Saeryn," answered Eodwine. "You have found clothing I see for the change in the weather. It suits you well."

"Thank you," Saeryn smiled, getting up and moving toward the kitchen, and through the door.

"That one," mumbled Falco through the last bite of his first supper, "will not want for suitors."

Eodwine grinned. "Aye." He stretched luxuriously, his spirits lifted by the thought that his appetite was soon to be sated.

Moments later Saeryn returned with a well stocked tray, with food for more than one. Eodwine set to, and Falco went straight into his second supper.

"What have you been up to this afternoon, Saeryn?" asked Eodwine.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:52 PM   #539
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

"What I've been up to?" repeated Saeryn, returning to a comfortable tailor's seat on the bench and cupping her small hands around her tea. She thought for a moment, comfortably lazing in the late afternoon light as her companions dug into the meal she had brought them. The shadows were beginning to fall heavily and the lamps had not yet been lit. Her cheeks glowed pink in the flickering firelight.

"After you and your daughter took leave with the lady Giedd, I took my own leave of Ćňel, who perhaps you've not seen?" Saeryn queried, noting Eodwine's gentle shake of his head, "and Bethberry, giving them a time for talk. Perhaps Ćňel will accept my invitation to stay as my guest. Gudryn is a dove, but I would never dream to impose on your family, nor on Mistress Bethberry for female companionship. I left the lass to decide. Should she accept, she knows where I can be found.

"After that, I searched my dear brother's room for signs of his whereabouts, like any good inquisative sister would." Saeryn winked at the men, showing her jest. "Being entirely unable to find Degas, I looked out the window, considering a ride. Yes, I know." she interrupted Eodwine's start. "I know I'm still bandaged and shouldn't be on a horse until my bruises are less tender... But then I noted the clouds rolling across the fields outside the city and decided that I'd rather not get caught out of doors when the rain began. Only the rain threatened all afternoon without a hint of real wet. The wind picked up as the warmth disappeared... but no rain."

She sighed wistfully, dreaming of the wind in her hair as she rode bareback across the open plains, heavy droplets staining her mare's brown coat with spots of black... No time soon, she reprimanded herself.

"And so," she continued, watching her audience for signs of boredom and seeing none, "I decided that it would be the perfect day for random tasks. So I cloistered myself in my room, mended clothes, put away my things, and frittered a few hours away doing small tasks. By mid-afternoon, I assure you, I was bored and my muscles were stiff and aching with the cold and disuse... so I went to the kitchens where it is so wonderfully warm... and I begged leave to help make supper. I chopped the very carrots and potatoes in that stew, if you'll believe me."

She smiled, content as a child satisfactorily completing her chores. Eodwine did not miss the nearly hidden question in her eyes and hid a smile.

"And the vegetables are most excellent, m'dear. The perfect size, and cooked tenderly as any master could do." She almost managed to hide her delight at the compliment and he almost managed to hide his delight at the child that still showed through her grown up facade. She mistook his smile, and probed some herself.

"And your day, Master Eodwine? I heard rumours of an errand for the King?"
Old 10-14-2005, 07:43 PM   #540
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

"They turned out to be untrue," said Eodwine matter of factly. "The messenger seems to have guessed wrong."

"But you were summoned?" Falco asked. "That's the word hereabouts."

"Yes, I was summoned." Eodwine took a drink while Saeryn and Falco waited for him to continue.

Eodwine glanced at each of them, their eyes big with anticipation waiting for him to spill his news. He was not teasing, actually. No, far from it, though it must seem that way to him. Rather, he was sore put to it to find words to carry his thought.

"The King has ended my service to him," he said finally with a sigh. Now their eyes were big as saucers.

"Whatever for?" Falco managed, finding his voice.

"Seems I've been set out to pasture, as it were." Eodwine looked at Saeryn. "Well?" he grinned. "You're obviously full of a question waiting to be asked. Out with it."
Old 10-14-2005, 07:56 PM   #541
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

"Well..." began Saeryn, considering for a moment the polite art of dancing around a subject gracefully and deciding quickly that it would be an unwarranted waste of time. Perhaps another conversation would be better for a duel of words, but he'd said 'out with it', and that called for little hesitation. She laughed as she realized that she'd been hesitating, and spoke up. "You left with the lady Giedd," she intoned with a smile and a gentle teasing lilt to her voice. "Mayhap you can foresee the question without the inconvenience of bothering to state it?"

Saeryn palmed a soft roll, still warm, and began to tear it into small pieces, tossing them in the air in a most unlady-like fashion and catching them in her mouth. She leaned back as far as she could before wincing back into a better posture and glanced at Eodwine, waiting for response. She was not certain why Falco did not rise to the occasion, but she attached his mysterious silence to the ferver with which he devoured his second dinner. Finishing her first roll, she snaked her hand between his mug and bowl, confiscating one of his. She met his glare with a wide grin.

"Come now, Master Eodwine," she prodded the laughing man. "A man free of duty to the crown, with a new daughter and out for the day with a lovely lass of the town? Whyever did you return to us?"
Old 10-15-2005, 10:23 PM   #542
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Eodwine regarded Saeryn with amusement. "Right to the point indeed," he murmured, then quaffed his ale.

"I wager," said Falco, finding a spare moment between hobbit-sized mouthfuls (which are big) of food, "you've forgotten what to do, or to say to the lass. If I were you-"

"You are not me, friend Falco Buffoon, and therefore I will have my say in the matter. Little you know." He cuffed the hobbit on the pate in good smithly fashion.

"Ack! I'm no Garreth, arunning off at the mouth to be treated so!"

"Eat your second supper, hobbit." Eodwine turned back to Saeryn, whose smirk was at whose expense he was not quite sure. "The Lady Giedd is no lass, but a woman of good standing among the folk of Edoras. I will admit that she is no hardship upon the eye. But truth be told, I was at the Golden Hall the better part of the afternoon and only arrived at the lady's house not two hours ago." Falco had swallowed, and had begun to silently imitate Eodwine behind his back, much to the amusement of Saeryn, who did an admirable job of keeping a straight face.
"I told her my news," Eodwine continued, "and left Gudryn with her for now. What words passed between us I am not free to say, out of due honor to the lady. Any good Ealderman would say no different. So you shall have to ask her yourself, maybe later this evening if she comes this way with Gudryn. But I have not seen your brother Degas in a long while. What has become of him?"
Old 10-16-2005, 02:52 PM   #543
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

"Well answered." Saeryn responded, not a hint of disappointment evident. "Of Degas..." she sighed and rolled her eyes. "He's just that way. He values his freedom, my brother, I'll give him that. I'm sure he had many good reasons for leaving before dawn without a word even to me, all of which he'll surely explain abashed when I tell him he ought to when he gets back... But he'll certainly return... he's left all of his things.

"Falco, now that you've finished your own meal, what say you to a tale? How did your day transpire?" She smiled inwardly to see his antics cut short as Eodwine's gaze turned to him. He glanced at his outstretched hand and pulled it back quickly as though it had not just been snaking silently through the air to about an inch from Eodwine's head. She laughed quietly, more of a smile, and looked at him expectantly.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:53 PM   #544
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

1420!

"A tale, by my word, a tale," enjoined a voice, neither sharp nor shallow, and Eodwine, Saeryn and Falco looked up behind them to see Ruthven and Bethberry approach.

"You're late," observed Falco, "we've all supped and then some. I won't be tellin' any tales to those on empty stomachs."

A ripple of laughter burst out from the Innkeeper while the older woman cackled. "And will ye be thinkin' we won't be applaudin' your efforts, our stomachs bigger than our fancies?" inguired Ruthven, who was always ready for a little give and take--although sometimes it was take and give--with the halfling.

"Pfft, as if I worried over what the audience thinks," intoned Falco solemnly.

"It's all appetite, as you will," replied Ruthven, "and sometimes words make a savoury sauce to coat the roasted bird."

"No one's being roasted here," interrupted Falco.

"Now, now," interjected Eodwine. "Let's save the flaming desserts until after our dinners have settled a bit. Please, Bethberry, Ruthven, won't you join our table?"

Bethberry nodded appreciatively at Eodwine's fine manners. She wondered why he was here and not away on his errand for the king, but she was too well mannered to ask directly what caused the change in his plans. The woman Giedd came to mind, but she thought better of asking directly about her.

"We were afraid a hungry halfling such as yourself wouldn't leave anything for us, so we ate else," commented Ruthven.

"Ruthven, for shame! We thought nothing of it and don't you start in so soon after bread has been broken with your teasing ways." Bethberry turned towards Saeryn.

"We had dinner at Ruthven's with the young girl Ćňelhild, who for some reason is too shy and skittish to want to be seen by others. She's returned with us now, but gone to the back room to sort some linen, for she was anxious, she said, to earn her keep."

"What! Ruthven a cook? And did she serve rewarmed mutton with day old bread?" asked Falco, his eyes wide with wonder and just a glint of merriment in them.

Saeryn could not hold back at this possibility. "Falco, you are simply attempting to change the subject. It was a tale I asked for, not a roast. Please now, regale us."

Bethberry and Ruthven pulled two chairs up to the large table and poured themselves some water.

"I second that request," said Bethberry. "Play on, McTeller, please," she remarked to the halfling, noting at the same time the slight furrow in Eodwine's brow.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:48 PM   #545
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

"Well then," said Falco, pushing out his chest like a robin to make room for all he had eaten. "While Eodwine was busy getting stripped of his job by the King-"

"Leave me out of your tale, if you don't mind, Mr. Boffin," said Eodwine, noticing Bethberry's surprised look.

"Anyways, to pass the afternoon I took a walk down south and east a ways till I found myself outside the town. The weather was fine as it hadn't snapped a chill yet, and the clouds rode high up in the sky.

"I comes to this big old sycamore and what do I see but an toothless old man kicking at the trunk with his boots, and scolding and yammering at it like it had done wrong by him.

"Well, I stopped and watched this go on for a few moments, and lo and behold, it turns out this man's telling the tree it has no business following him about, and would it leave him in peace. I figured he had to be daft, and continued on my way.

"I walked for a while longer and came as far as a stream from the mountains that went under a small bridge, and had a drink and took a wee bit of a snooze. When I woke up it looked like the sun had moved not more than an hour, and I turned around and headed back to town.

"Well, sooner than I expected, here's this old man even angrier than before, still kicking at the tree, yelling at it not to follow him. Well, I couldn't stand it any longer, so I asked him why he was yelling at the tree.

"He gave me a queer look and said, 'If'n anybody could tell why I'm mad it should be you! Don't you think I remember you comin' by and stoppin' to watch me yell at this here tree?'

"'I hadn't thought you'd noticed,' I said.

"'I did,' he announced, 'only that was back there under that lee of the mountain, and you're watchin' me here instead.'

"Sure enough, I looked at where he was pointing, and I'd give away my best Old Toby if I couldn't see that he was right. I said, 'So this here tree's a-followin' you?'

"'That it is,' he said, and resumed kicking and yelling. That's my tale. There's a sycamore what follows this old man around, and I saw him and it just east of town."

Falco took a long pull at his ale mug.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:41 PM   #546
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Shield

Apparently Bethberry was unaccountably overtaken by an extreme urge to sneeze. She put her head down slightly and was seen to rub her nose back and forth energetically, hoping all the while that no one saw the upturn of her mouth as she fought desperately the urge to grin. It wouldn't do for her to be seen laughing at the little halfling's story, certainly not with the unexpected news Falco had divulged.

"It's a good thing the old man set you to rights about where you were, otherwise perhaps you might not have found your way back," was all the comment she could reliably manage to say.

"Well, 'twasn't like I was lost," proclaimed Falco somewhat indignantly. How could that woman be so dense? he thought to himself. She's missed the main part of my story. He shook his head and took another long sip of his tankard.

Bethberry watched Eodwine's face and decided to hold any questions until he felt like making matters known to her. "Shall we have, in honour of Master Falco's adventure this afternoon, another round of ale?" Voices rose in agreement. "On me, of course," she said.

"A sycamore was it?" asked Ruthven, lighting her own pipe and taking a long draw on it. "You're sure it was a sycamore? You've seen many of them in this here Shire of yours?"

Falco nodded with a great slow nod of his head, as if to say, Of course woman!

Ruthven blew one, two, three rings of smoke in the air. "So tell us about it, this walking tree. Is its bark worse than its walk?"
Old 10-19-2005, 08:13 PM   #547
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

"Well ain't you the funny one," Falco retorted to Ruthven. "I didn't actually see it walk, truth be told."

"Falco," Eodwine said, his chin in his hand, resting on an elbow, "there's a whole line of sycamores, or some kind of tree, along the road that way."

"Maybe so and maybe not. I saw what I saw."

"Did you just make that up?" Saeryn asked.

"Of course not!" Falco replied indignantly, and pulled out his pipe. "Have you a light, Ruthven?"
Old 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM   #548
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

At Falco's request, Bethberry casually looked at Ruthven and gave her a wink, although whether any of the other members at the table saw it was unclear. Ruthven pulled out her tinder tools.

A small tin box, first of all, with a tight lid in which she kept her touchwood. Then a small horn, not fancy with carvings nor engravings nor silver work nor gold, but large enough to hold flint and steel.

"You can avail yourself of the kindling in the great fire, Falco, if you wish," interjected Bethberry, pouring a tankard of ale for Eodwine from the large pitcher which the scullery maid had brought. She paused, setting the pitcher down on the table and hesitating for a moment to let the halfling contemplate his choices. Then she offerred Eodwine the tankard and turned to Saeryn. "Some also for you, lass?" she asked? A nod signified yes and Bethberry turned with solemn concentration to the pouring of another tankard.

Falco eyed the horn and tinder box. For all their simplicity, they suggested beauty and function, an economy of purpose married with art.

"Did you see the sycamore trees closely, Falco?" Ruthven queried him. "Where the trunks hollow, large?" She held her tinder box in her hand lightly, while toying with the horn.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:07 PM   #549
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

"I didn't look close at the trees," Falco returned, "just close enough to see their type. I know a sycamore when I sees one." Falco eyed the flint and steel in Ruthven's hands and decided he'd like to see her work it. "I'd like to test Ruthven's skill with the tinder, if she don't mind."

"Ho, now!" Ruthven grinned. "Don't think I can manage it, is that it?"

"Proof's in the pudding," Falco yawned.

"The King has indeed set me out to pasture, as it were, Bethberry," Eodwine said. All heads turned to him. "Seems I must find something else to do." He pulled another swig from his ale, eyeing Bethberry.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:10 AM   #550
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Ruthven grinned at Falco's challenge.

"Here's your proof," she puffed as she sent several smoke rings in Falco's direction. "You're needing me to show you how, is that it, halfling?"

For her part, Bethberry moved her chair slightly away from the duelling pipes, the smoke of which always made her eyes sore. She too took a long sip of her ale and looked pensive at Eodwine's news. The table was silent for a bit. Then she addressed the former messenger.

"The King can be mercurial sometimes, yet such news is not all to the ill, is it Eodwine? There might well be good reason for a family man to be settling down now in town, no?"
Old 10-26-2005, 07:44 AM   #551
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

T'was a good thing that Saeryn had eaten well, or the pint that she consumed all-together too rapidly for prudence would have hit her hard. She'd not imbibed alcohol in quite a long time, preferring juice or tea, and had entirely forgotten the affect that it had on her, and had forgotten that if she did perchance to drink, she ought to do it slowly, and certainly not to quench thirst as she would with water or juice. She smiled benignly, listening to the friendly bickering of Ruthven and Falco. Eodwine looked at her with a bit of worry, noting the lower level of drink in her mug. Intentional, he thought, or naive of the effects on a lass of her size? Mild though the ale was, Saeryn's face took on a slightly dreamy quality as she listened to the soft and sophisticated voice of the innkeeper. She wondered what Eodwine would reply.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:53 AM   #552
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

"You're needing me to show you how, is that it, halfling?" Ruthven asked Falco.

"The King can be mercurial sometimes," Bethberry was saying to the apparently former King's messenger, "yet such news is not all to the ill, is it Eodwine? There might well be good reason for a family man to be settling down now in town, no?"

"Pah!" retorted the halfling, grinning. "I wanted to see for myself if those dexterous digits were as good at something useful like pipe lighting as they seem to be for rag darning."

"Well," Eodwine said, glancing at Saeryn's dreamy face, "that depends on if there's a family to go home to."

"What're you saying, Eodwine?" asked Falco.

"I made my intentions known to the lady Giedd before I came here. I wait upon her pondering."

"What be the stakes?" Falco asked with one raised brow as he warred with Ruthven in a smoke ring battle.

Eodwine allowed a half a smile. "Whether the lady is interested in remaining as she is, or will allow the possibility of - how do you call it, Falco?"

"Handfasting, I think you're wanting. Just the possibility?"

"Ah yes. Yes, and no more just yet. So when when Gudryn is brought back to me, we shall see if she comes through the door alone or not." Eodwine shrugged.

"You don't seem to be holding out much hope, man," Falco observed.

Eodwine shrugged again. "Little was said by the lady, and little could be told of her mood from watching her face. She asked to spend more time with Gudryn, and that is how we left it." He sighed, picked up his ale cup, and took a few deep swigs.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:59 PM   #553
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

A quiet calm descended upon the friends at the table, a calm made mellow by the pensive whisps of smoke that curled up and up, higher among the rafters and the banners of tales of old. They fluttered lightly in the current of warm air rising from the large fire and Bethberry remembered he she had sent on her errand. She wished him a safe return.

Then, with an eye for the ale's effect, Bethberry called for a plate of dainties--cheeses and pastries and tarts--to fill stomachs. She noted that Eodwine was musing thoughtfully while Falco pondered the change that had overcome his friend.

"Let us have another pipe, one with more melodic charms," she announced and the young waif who had hidden in the stables appeared, shyly, with pipe in hand and began to play. The aire filled the silence in the Great Hall and then the Innkeeper commenced, in a voice full throated but low, a haunting song.

And she shall bring the warmth in fall
And weave among the barren trees
A story told for all to hear
Who long at sight of withering leaf.
She sorts the grain and saves the chaff
To succour beasts from stormy blast.
From orchard ripe and waving field
She gathers harvest’s splendid yield
A full bounty does she meld.
In winter’s cold her holding arms
Keep out the inclimate season’s harms.
And round about the hearth and home
Her windows ne'er loose a draft.
Though no great beauty nor young yet
A comely charm does speak her worth.
Honey’d tongue and sunlight eyes
She might reject,
But honest claim she’ll not disdain.
The lady Giedd may choose you yet
Should she her freedom not regret.

Sing noddy, hey noddy, sing noddy all day.

Last edited by Bęthberry; 10-28-2005 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:30 PM   #554
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Eodwine's eyes grew misty as Bęthberry sang.

Until the punchline. He had not guessed that the song was about Giedd until toward the end. He looked Bęthberry in the eye, a rueful smile growing on his face. He had not told his friends everything about his conversation with Giedd just an hour or so ago. They had sent Gudryn to go to market to buy bread and cheese while day lasted, and they had talked while Giedd cut cloth she would be making into jerkins, trousers, and scarves for the oncoming cold.

"I thought you were on an errand for the King," she had said.

"As did I. He has relieved me as king's messenger."

"Why?"

Such a simple question, such a maze of an answer. There was an answer that could be told simply, but it was the mere glint of the glaciers that topped Snowbourne looming above Edoras.

He made me an ealdorman."

Her eyes had widened, her hands halted. "What does that mean?" she asked, but he could tell that she had understood; it was in her eyes. Her fingers began to work with a nervous tremor as she fiddled absently with her cloth.

"The King has made a landed noble of me," Eodwine said in a quiet voice, watching for her reaction. She said nothing, did not look up at him, busy with her cuttings. "I own a farm from my longfathers, away in the Gap where the Isen flows, but that is a mere scrap laid side by side to this new land."

She swallowed as if her throat was dry. "Where is this land?"

Since the ascension of King Elessar to the throne of Gondor, and King Eomer to that of Rohan, the lands that had been beyond the borders of the Eored had become empty. The Elves were leaving Lothlorien, and the lands between the Nimrodel and the Wood had opened to the Rohirrim. Would that King Eomer had landed him there! But the folk of Dunland had fared ill after the War of the Ring, partly at Eodwine's own hand, and they chafed at the wealth of the Rohirrim. Eomer had made him a Marshall upon the new borders of Dunland.

"Just nigh of Dunland. Its border can be walked in a week."

She looked up. Her eyes were wide and she looked at him as if he were a stranger she had just met. Eodwine's heart misgave him, and so he had decided then and there to make his intentions clear, hoping to discover if this new life was too big for her.

"Giedd, I seek a mother for my daughter. This I think you have guessed already. You had been mentioned to me as a likely woman for such a role in my daughter's life, as well as mine."

Giedd had nodded, her mouth unsmiling, tight, her eyes still big with what she was hearing.

"I would know from you today whether you are willing to walk by my side a while to see if such a life is agreeable to you."

Her hands had stilled, and she had regarded him seriously. "Eodwine, I find you honorable, and I did guess." She had paused. Give me a few hours, let me spend more time with Gudryn, and I shall bring her to the White Horse and give you answer."

He had agreed. Not long after, Gudryn had come back from market, grinning at her achievement, having found the best bread and cheese the market would part with for the coin Giedd had given her. Eodwine had taken his leave and left the two together.

Eodwine looked now at Bęthberry, and asked for the song again. As he listened, he saw Giedd as the one who did all the song said.

The lady Giedd may choose you yet
Should she her freedom not regret.

Sing noddy, hey noddy, sing noddy all day.

Eodwine said,
"Yea, she may welcome such a one,
or fear o'ermuch a life begun
trammeled by ways ne'er known before,
wishing to flee through a new-closed door."

He watched Bęthberry, who cocked her head, wondering what mysteries might be stirring in the head of the former king's messenger.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:28 AM   #555
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Shield

The door opened before Bęthberry could say what was on her mind. They all turned and looked expectantly. It was Gudryn with Giedd. Giedd seemed stoic, but Gudryn looked crestfallen. They came no farther than the door. Eodwine rose and went to them.

"How do you fare, lady?"

"Well and not so well, Eodwine. I-" she paused and lost her composure. Eodwine saw naked fear, which passed into a mixture of regret and relief. "No, I cannot walk with you in this new path, for 'tis beyond my ken and well beyond my strength. You can do better than I."

"I think not," Eodwine answered softly, "but I accept your gracious answer, and wish you well."

"Gudryn," Giedd said, her hand in the small of the girl's back, "go to your father."

Gudryn looked up, battling tears, took a reluctant step, then sprang toward him and threw her arms around him. He held her close.

"Goodbye, and good health to you, Giedd."

She nodded and left.

"There will be others, sweet Gudryn," Eodwine soothed.

"Not like her!" she whined, rubbing the tears from her cheeks.

"No, not like her, but as good and as kind and maybe better fit to share the road we travel. Come, let's get you some food. Have you eaten tonight?"

Gudryn nodded. "But I want something sweet."

"That sounds good to me too."

They returned to the table where Bęthberry, Ruthven, Falco, and Saeryn waited, watching while trying to seem not to watch. Eodwine knew better; they were too quiet. He sat down, Gudryn taking the chair to his right.

"Well, that's over. Time to attend to good food and strong drink! And my daughter would like some sweets, and the plate Bęthberry brought out is empty." Eodwine eyed Falco mischievously. "Ready for a third supper?"

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 11-03-2005 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:03 PM   #556
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

"Well now," said the Innkeeper, "if we are to have second and thirds and tea stronger than stout, then we must ask for the pipes to go out. If you please." A nod and a raise eyebrow gave the inquiry to Falco and Ruthven.

Falco for his part was hard put to decide, having just managed to achieve the right smouldering embers which would put him ahead of Ruthven in the smoke ring contest. Yet his stomach made loud protest at the thought of missing any heart stews or flakey tarts or cheese bread and jam. He looked at Ruthven, puffing away strongly yet without obvious urgency.

Ruthven eyed Eodwine and the girl Gudryn, whose face was streaked with smuges telling of disappointment. She made one last, long, lingering trail of smoke, strangely like a leaf wafting in autumn air, except rising rather than falling, and then lay down her pipe. Quiet descended upon the table as all watched the embers slowly wink out. Gudryn held back a sob and buried her head on Eowdwine's shoulder.

The lass Ćňelhild picked up her flute again and began a less melancoly song this time, a sprightly tune that began softly then built to a faster air. Ruthven took up wooden spoons on the table to accompany her and Falco found his feet keeping time with the floor. From the kitchen came a serving girl with a large pitcher of hot apple cider, the scent of cinnamon rising from it as if to banish the last faint odour of pipeweed. She poured a tankard and offerred it to Gudryn.

Bethberry looked at Eodwine. "I got the last round. Is this one yours?"

It appeared for an instant that he had not heard Bethberry, but then his eyes were drawn to hers.

"It's Falco's turn to treat us," he said quietly.

"Even so, will you not name a treat you would like?" she asked in return.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:53 PM   #557
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Shield

Eodwine thought a moment, and could think of no especial item that suited his fancy. "I'll hand your favor to Saeryn. Let her name what she would like, and I will try it, if you have it, sing noddy hey noddy all the day long." He winked at Bęthberry and stretched, glad that the press of the day's events were sliding from him.

But Gudryn looked up at him, hot cider in hand, looking mournful. He looked at her kindly.

"Gudryn, lass, fear not. 'Twas we two before, and if it remains so yet a while, we'll do well enough. If some likely lady comes our way and shows herself to be as well disposed to you as the lady Giedd, then I pray she'll be as well disposed to being titled and joining on a new adventure."

"Will we be going to Dunland soon, then, father?" asked Gudryn.

"Soon enough. The King gave me time to remain here yet a brief while." He turned to Saeryn. "So, pretty lass, what'll it be?"
Old 11-09-2005, 07:13 AM   #558
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

1420!

As Ćoelhild played her sprits rose, playing had always seemed to melt away her troubles and bring her joy a gift her father oft told her she had inherited from her mother. She wished she had known her mother but her fathers memories had always been enough to dispel such sorrows. He had truly loved her and spoke often of her kindness and beauty, always telling Ćoel with a wink and a nod that a part of her had remained in his daughter, that she was her mothers final gift to him. As the tune finished and she lowered the flute given her by Ruthven when it was discover that she could play she found herself laughing merrily. Something she could not recall doing in such along time, forgetting completely her reason for choosing that particular tune until her eyes again fell on the young girl nestled against her fathers shoulder.

Her laughter stopped as she was reminded of her own father and how he would hold her thusly when she was upset , she could remember clearly the warmth and tenderness of his embrace and the rich aroma of the tobacco smoke that clung to his clothes. Her hand searched for the hilt of her fathers sword hoping to draw from it some of that same warmth and security, but then she remembered that she had hidden it in the room the innkeeper had assigned to her. So instead she reached for the tankard that had just been poured for her and lifting it to her lips she sipped at the warm sweet liquid within as she let her eyes idly study the faces around the table at which she now sat.

The Innkeeper, Ruthven and Saeryn, she had already been acquainted with, but the others, the young girl she had heard her father call Gudryn and indeed the father himself she did not know. But then there was the halfling! Oh yes she had heard of halflings in fact there was not a Gondorian who had not, but she had never actually met one and she soon found herself staring with mild curiosity at the strange little fellow seated across from her.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:08 PM   #559
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Brokhelm held the door open with his right hand, letting Linnéa pass over the threshold before following her into the fire lit hall. His sister paused just inside the door, and for a moment the two stood side by side surveying the company assembled there, looking as much like two variations of one theme as a brother and sister might. One fair and well-formed, the other proved a rougher draft, with left hand hanging useless at his side and a face that bespoke a life spent on the plains. Rightly one would guess that Brokhelm was the elder, but on closer inspection the glimmer of sadness that visited Linnéa’s eyes would give one cause to be unsure.

The room was warm, heavily scented with pungent fragrance of apples and wood smoke, and the air felt closer still for the brisk wind that had blown down upon them from the mountain heights though out the day. Brokhelm stroked his beard, feeling the familiar tightness of his dry skin as he took in the mood of those gathered near the fire. “A merry tune, is it not, Linnéa?” He said hoping that his sister might welcome such diversion. Looking down at her he saw that the wind had caused a healthy bloom on her cheek, and it struck him that to the eyes of strangers she appeared pleasant to behold. “Still, let caution govern our speech, for not all men are as praiseworthy as Anwyl,” he warned.

“Or as well intentioned as you, Brokhelm,” she replied quickly. “Do not be fearful for me, I have grown accustomed to dealing with those who have with fair words and friendly ways sought to cheat us of our livelihood.” She took a deep breath, and moving a bit further, set down her small bundle on a bench against the wall.

“True enough,” Brokhelm said following her and picking up her belongings from off their narrow perch. “Soon you will have surpassed me in procuring a good price for our animals, but it is not of the horses I speak.”

“I know this, brother, and will give heed to your words, but let us not speak of such things now.”

A smile crept across Brokhelm’s face. “Very well, and in return I ask that you make the most of this luxury. While we are in an Inn we should not sit so close to the wall that we are mere inches from being without it. Come let us sit closer to the others, and perhaps we shall hear tell of sweet fields and sufficient rain.”

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 11-10-2005 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:37 PM   #560
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Saeryn sat quietly, enjoying the beautifully light music coming from Ćoelhild's flute. She had always loved music and had a special fondness for flutes. She listened with the ear of a noble lass trained from childhood and caught no errors nor no finger slips. She relaxed as she watch Ćoel's fingers dance nimbly from note to note. When Eodwine asked her choice of treats, she did not respond, still caught in the tune. Her fingers mimicked the fading notes beneath the table on an imaginary flute, and she was loathe to lose the moment of tranquility. She wished she could play here and now... her favorite tune came to mind and played to her, now trilling spiritedly above the rafters like bird song at dawn, now low and soothing. She could hear the melody dancing as clearly as she could see the steps of the lads and lasses frolicking about to the rhythm tapped out lightly by her foot as she played on with a smile.

An unexpected entrance broke the moment and, looking slightly disappointed, Saeryn turned to Eodwine.

"I... my apoligies. What did you request of me? I was lost in thought..."