The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-01-2003, 10:43 AM   #1
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Sauron's apperance in RotK *Quotes*

Ok, it seems like there are still quite a few people in the dark about this (& some that aren't), so I'm going to put a lot of quotes up that I found on the subject. You guys can read them if want to. I've been told once that PJ said Sauron <I>won't</I> appear, but I'm going to have to wait until I see the credibility rating on that one. <P> Here you go:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>NEW Sauron Makes Rare Public Appearance<BR>FILMS: Sauron appears in a form other than the Flaming Eye.<BR>BOOKS: Sauron does not directly appear, although according to Gollum, he does have a humanoid form.<BR>PRO: "The Sauron in the books is sketchy at best, which makes it hard to turn him into a screen villain," says Peter Jackson. "But imagine not really seeing Darth Vader for all three Star Wars films. You just can't do it."<BR>CON: This is an invention of the filmmakers and does not represent Tolkien's intent.<BR>SUPPORTED BY: <BR>Empire Magazine "Hail to the King" 12/2/02 (first report) <BR>CREDIBILITY: 4/5<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>A 4 of 5 credibility rating is extremly high... <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Men of Gondor surround them both and Legolas shouts "Aragorn!" as a warning, then Aragorn with Anduril in hand rushes the Dark Lord who looked like he was in different armor than when we saw him in the prologue. It is not an even fight and Aragorn is nearly knocked to death as the countdown to the destruction of the ring begins. I guess the goal is to make the audience wonder if the ring will be destroyed before Aragorn is smeared all over Mordor! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Alex writes, "Well I saw something that could be a possible spoiler for ROTK. On the FOTR DVD extended edition, I don't remember where but I know that it was on disc 3, there is a two-second clip of what looks like Peter Jackson directing the movements of an actor dressed in Sauron's costume and there is a blue screen behind him. When I first saw this I thought PJ was just filming a scene from the prologue with the battle of the last alliance. But I looked at Sauron who was using a sword, and in the prologue, Sauron wielded a mace. This could be some more supporting evidence of Sauron's apearance in ROTK. Of course it could just be somethiung PJ redid but I just thought you might like.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>I don't know who Alex is, but I'm just throwing out quotes.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Whether or not this makes the final cut or not, we now know for certain that Sauron was FILMED as a physical presence taking part in the events of ROTK. This came in from Dave:<BR>"I used to flat with a guy in the NZ army, and when he was in the filming for the big battle in front of the gates of Mordor, Sauron was there fighting. I believe he will appear. I mean there is only so much you can do with a giant eye." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>I also don't know who Dave is, but it sounds pretty accurate.<P>We can also use this thread to discuss opinions on this if you want, although it has been done some on other threads. I personally don't really like the idea of Sauron appearing in a physical form, but I can't decide if that's the worse of the 2 evils, or if him fighting Aragorn is. <p>[ September 02, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 10:51 AM   #2
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have every faith that these scenes were filmed. Whether they make the final cut remains to be seen.<P>H.C.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:59 AM   #3
Elentári
Wight

Elentári has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Personally I simply cannot imagine Aragorn fighting this Maiar and coming out alive...but naturally I suppose the Ring would be destroyed just as Sauron was about to deal Aragorn his death blow. Or something like that...
Old 09-01-2003, 12:11 PM   #4
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Personally I simply cannot imagine Aragorn fighting this Maiar and coming out alive...but naturally I suppose the Ring would be destroyed just as Sauron was about to deal Aragorn his death blow. Or something like that...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Yes, unfortunatly that'd probably be the case. I <B>can't stand it</B> when the bad guys get destroyed at the last second, just before they kill there opponent. Although we can only wait & find out. <P> HC: Ditto. I hope that it won't make the final cut, but I'm afraid it probably will.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:36 PM   #5
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dűm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I can just picture, after the Pellenor fields, Aragorn and co. riding to the Black gates and instead of meeting the Mouth of Sauron they meet the man himself. Aragorn fights him, as a last resort so as to distract him from Frodo. The scenes switch back and forth from Aragorn getting his butt kicked and to Frodo trying to destroy the Ring. You can imagine the tension (for non book people anyway) as Frodo claims the ring for himself, and Sauron's just about to deliver the fatal blow when.....<P>I read something like that somewhere, and it's said in the first post, but that's how it may come out. It gets rid of the Mouth of Sauron so people aren't confused and they don't have to explain him, and makes the grand finale even grander. I may not totally agree with it, but it'll be totally huge.<P>O, the speculation!!
Old 09-01-2003, 01:53 PM   #6
mollecon
Wight

mollecon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Somehow, this amuses me! Let's complaint <I>before</I> the fact(s) - we can always find something to complaint about afterwards...<P>The only thing I've heard said about this is that PJ somehow felt that a movie without the chief villain showing up wouldn't work - but he may change his mind, yet.
mollecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 02:33 PM   #7
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

There's someone cast as the Mouth of Sauron too, so that is not the explanation.<P>H.C.
Old 09-01-2003, 02:47 PM   #8
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Actually, there is a possibility that all of you are mistaken, including the people who wrote that article. Early on, I read an interview with Mark Ferguson (who played Gil-galad) and he said that they had initially filmed quite a few scenes of him fighting wiht Sauron, and getting tossed about pretty badly. They could have filmed that for the prologue, but taken it out later, during the editing process. As for the sword anomaly, who knows, Sauron could have changed weapons.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 05:03 PM   #9
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

I did read an interview with Jackson where he was asked point blank about this (though, for the life of me I can't find it now). He never denied shooting it but said that he had still to work out how he was going to present Sauron (this was last June I believe).<P>H.C.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:28 PM   #10
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Actually, there is a possibility that all of you are mistaken, including the people who wrote that article.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>Actually, I'd love to be wrong. At any rate, what I was saying was that Sauron was filmed, & that there's a good possibilty that he'll show up.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I did read an interview with Jackson where he was asked point blank about this (though, for the life of me I can't find it now). He never denied shooting it but said that he had still to work out how he was going to present Sauron (this was last June I believe).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Do you remember if it had a credibility rating or not? That helps a bit...
Old 09-01-2003, 05:31 PM   #11
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I can just picture, after the Pellenor fields, Aragorn and co. riding to the Black gates and instead of meeting the Mouth of Sauron they meet the man himself. Aragorn fights him, as a last resort so as to distract him from Frodo. The scenes switch back and forth from Aragorn getting his butt kicked and to Frodo trying to destroy the Ring. You can imagine the tension (for non book people anyway) as Frodo claims the ring for himself, and Sauron's just about to deliver the fatal blow when.....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That sounds very close to how I think it could turn out, Daisy. Sounds very Peter-like to me. On the plus side, it would be much more tense and dramamtic, despite the inconsistancy. I'm also very worried about how such a scene would turn out, but maybe it wouldn't be so terrible? I mean, who knows? PJ's crazy idea may accutually enhance the movie this time....
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 05:43 PM   #12
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dűm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

But wouldn't Sauron still be a giant eyeball without the ring? I thought Sauron needed it to take physical form, at least that is what I got from the book. Are we sure that it is not the mouth of Sauron they are talking about and they just mistook him for Sauron because that seems more logical to me.

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 06:34 PM   #13
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well. If Sauron appears in physical form, all I have to say is this: I do NOT want it to happen, and I might get kicked out of the theater if it does.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 07:14 PM   #14
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>But wouldn't Sauron still be a giant eyeball without the ring? I thought Sauron needed it to take physical form, at least that is what I got from the book. Are we sure that it is not the mouth of Sauron they are talking about and they just mistook him for Sauron because that seems more logical to me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> That's how it should be, or at least in the books. Nope, unfortunatly I'm sure they didn't film the Mouth instead of Sauron. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Well. If Sauron appears in physical form, all I have to say is this: I do NOT want it to happen, and I might get kicked out of the theater if it does.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Hey, you're probably not alone, although I'll stick around for the end of it of course. But let me know if anything interesting <I>does</I> happen .
Old 09-01-2003, 07:32 PM   #15
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> But wouldn't Sauron still be a giant eyeball without the ring? I thought Sauron needed it to take physical form, at least that is what I got from the book. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I completely disagree with this. Gollum talks about Sauron having nine fingers. Can an eyeball have nine fingers? Shagrat talks about the possibility of Sauron coming to Cirith Ungol himself. Can an eyeball do that? I think there is enough evidence in the book to give Sauron a physical appearance in the film if Jackson wanted to do that. For me, having extra scenes with Sauron in Barad-dur is no different then the extra scenes that were given to Saruman in Orthanc. <P><A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001972" TARGET=_blank>Here</A> is a relevent thread from the book forum.<P>Fighting Aragorn ... That's a completely different question.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Do you remember if it had a credibility rating or not? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It was a interview with Jackson from a fan magazine that was quoted at OneRing. I don't think credibility is an issue, unless it's mine.<P>H.C.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:33 PM   #16
Blue_Punk_Dragon

Sting

ok, i'm kind of confused on this, what's wrong with Sauron appearing in physical form? i don't really care either way, but i don't think he will. i just need to be a little more clued in on what's wrong with seeing Sauron in physical form. help me here.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:38 PM   #17
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

It's not so much Sauron appearing (which has been filmed, although perhaps not included in RotK), I can deal with that. It's Sauron fighting Aragorn that gets me for reasons I will post tommorow. <P>HC: I don't doubt your credibility, but if the quote rules out something that's been said before, then they'll list it as just a rumour, or something that's unlikely to happen. That's why I was wondering, since they list discountings under credibility.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:20 PM   #18
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting

I must say this. If I am sitting in the theaters and Sauron walks out of the morannon I will walk out of the theater. that is going TO FAR
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 02:30 AM   #19
dragoneyes
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

dragoneyes has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm not sure I'd go as far as walking out, but I'd most certainly sit there muttering to myself.<P>Do you think they's bother explaining how he did it, or just let it be an evil surprise at the end?
Old 09-02-2003, 12:15 PM   #20
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

I think they'll probably just have it happen (unless it <B>doesn't</B> make the final cut, which is possible. I don't think I'll walk out either, because as I said before, I don't like the idea of Sauron showing up, but I like the idea of him fighting Aragorn much less. & here are the reasons for that that I promised Blue_Punk_Dragon:<P>*Aragorn wouldn't be able to stand up to more than 2 (if that many) whacks from Sauron.<P>*It'll give it this sort of feeling (quote from a post of Elentari's above):<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Personally I simply cannot imagine Aragorn fighting this Maiar and coming out alive...but naturally I suppose the Ring would be destroyed just as Sauron was about to deal Aragorn his death blow. Or something like that... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <BR> That is something I (& most people) can't stand watching, but it's also a very real possibility that PJ will make it like that, given his love for dramatics.<P> Of course this is presuming that the scene makes the cut, but this thread is for are ideas, so feel free to presume that it will be in the movie while you post. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I completely disagree with this. Gollum talks about Sauron having nine fingers. Can an eyeball have nine fingers? Shagrat talks about the possibility of Sauron coming to Cirith Ungol himself. Can an eyeball do that? I think there is enough evidence in the book to give Sauron a physical appearance in the film if Jackson wanted to do that. For me, having extra scenes with Sauron in Barad-dur is no different then the extra scenes that were given to Saruman in Orthanc.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>I do agree with this to a point. I think that Sauron is <B>not</B> just an eyeball ontop of his tower, but rather that is a symbol of him. In the books the 'eye' was simply looking out a window, so it could've belonged to a body. Although PJ sticking the eye in-between the horns might confuse people, I thought it was a nice touch. I do think that Sauron was a spirit (with 9 fingers) that couldn't quite take shape again until he had the Ring. That's why I said that he should still be relegated to 'eyeball status' in the movie. I meant spirit status, but oh well.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:41 PM   #21
Elentári
Wight

Sting

Ohh...I had imagined Sauron as simply being an eyeball...but if it belongs to a body...oooh, do you think he could be a Cyclops??? That would be extremely scary!!!<BR>I can't wait to see this one...I want to see if it will make me cry. I seem to be unable to cry through watching Hollywood movies...for instance Pearl Harbor. All my friends were bawling their eyes out, and I was like, 'shut up guys, I can't hear it!' (It was the DVD- I wouldn't have had any trouble hearing it in the cinema.) Yeah, heartless, I know...but honestly, two of my friends started crying about half an hour into it, because they knew what would happen!!! The only thing that has ever made me cry was three episodes in a row of the Forsyte Saga (of the last series- it's a British TV drama).<BR>Back on topic... I don't think I'll walk out if it happens, I'll probably be glued to my seat with the tension. But hey.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:14 PM   #22
Silmiel of Imladris
Shade of Carn Dűm

Silmiel of Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Silmiel of Imladris
Sting

I kind of agree with you two. Sauron must keep part of himself as an eyeball so he can see everything and part of himself in a more solid form. If he can take physical form without the ring I feel that he would be a lot weaker and ghost like, similar to the Nazgul. For Sauron seems quite like a Nazgul because I remember Gandalf saying that you couldn't true kill Sauron but if the ring was destroyed his spirit would be sent to the darkest depths of the earth where it would naw on itself. (I can't remember Gandalf's exact words but I think you get the idea )

Figwit on his name: Are you suggesting that I have the wit of a fig?
Silmiel of Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 05:47 AM   #23
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

The Director brought this problem on himself when he had Sauron be vanquished in the prologue of FotR when the Ring was taken from him.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:53 AM   #24
Elentári
Wight

Sting

True...but he returned, didn't he. For ages people thought he had perished. Or is that in the film? Argh, I'm getting confused! <BR>But PJ is going to have to explain that Sauron gave himself a physical shape of some sort again. Maybe he will look like a Nazgűl with one flaming eye?
Old 09-03-2003, 09:55 AM   #25
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> The Director brought this problem on himself when he had Sauron be vanquished in the prologue of FotR when the Ring was taken from him. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Agreed. It will be interesting, if Sauron does physically appear, whether the film audience will be confused. We'll have to wait and see.<P>In the film at Bag End, Gandalf does say to Frodo, "He [Sauron] cannot yet take physical form." Perhaps implying that it was only a matter of time.<P>It will be interesting to see how all this is dealt with, if it is dealt with at all.<P>H.C.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:42 AM   #26
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Now that I think about it, Sauron could have been something in between a Balrog and a Wraith. That way, he could have had fiery eyes, but still not have been able to completely take a physical form.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 02:08 PM   #27
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>if it is dealt with at all.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> About that real quick:<P> I think it'd be strange if PJ <B>didn't </B> put Sauron in now, & here's why:<BR> <BR>After talking so much about how you can't really go through a movie without seeing the main bad guy (his Star Wars analogy), why would he now turn around & <B>not</B> have us see him? But if he's already said (in that article you reffered to, HC) that Sauron won't appear, than won't he be concerditing what he already said (Star Wars analogy)? But if Sauron is in it, then PJ will have lied in the article. Hmm, just some random thoughts of mine while I was trying despertly to fall asleep last night at 1 AM.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:43 PM   #28
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> But if he's already said (in that article you reffered to, HC) that Sauron won't appear <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Just to be clear. What I recall PJ saying was that he wasn't sure how he was going to present Sauron, but that he was leaning closer to what was in the books. This was in response to the question of whether Sauron will be fighting Aragorn.<P>I wouldn't take this as a statement that he was leaning towards Sauron not being in the film, just that he was leaning away from away from the Sauron/Aragorn battle. Again, he could have been lieing or he could once again change his mind.<P>I agree with you Estel. If I were a betting man, I would guess Sauron will be a physical presense, but will not fight Aragorn. Too many times he has made the comment of not having a visible villian. If Sauron is in, I suspect he will show up early in the film.<P>H.C.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:12 PM   #29
Sauron 666
Haunting Spirit

Sauron 666 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I cried for Pearl Harbour, but only because it was such a horrible abomination of a 'movie' . But i can see myself crying at the end of ROTK if the Grey Havens is done rightly. I hope Sauron just sticks to his little eyeball thingy in ROTK for reasons mentioned above.
Sauron 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 03:17 PM   #30
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I read an interview with PJ on theonering.net ( i think) in which he stated emphatically that Sauron would NOT appear in physical form on the battlefield or elsewhere. He states that Sauron was always more of a symbolic caracter and he'd like to keep that intact.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>This is said in another thread in this forum on the same topic we are discussing here. Go have <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=002283" TARGET=_blank>a look.</A><P>Abedithon le,<P>~*~Aranel~*~
Old 09-03-2003, 03:26 PM   #31
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>just that he was leaning away from away from the Sauron/Aragorn battle. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> It's to bad that Sauron will be there, but if he's not allowed to go near Aragorn it will make it slightly better.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:52 AM   #32
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I hope that these scenes of Sauron appearing do not appear because Sauron should remain as an image only like in the Book, not a flesh and blood character as anticipated in this thread.<P>Portraying Sauron in the battle with Gil-Galad was correct as it took place, but don't forget that Sauron did nver appear in flesh in the LOTR trilogy, just as a mention.<P>I however fancy Daisy Brambleburr may be right in so far as PJ may take Sauron to the gate to meet Aragorn. It would make a very spectacular scene indeed though not meeting with my approval.