Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2008, 06:02 AM   #1001
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
I have ideas about these various characters already. Erbrand has good hand/eye coordination or he wouldn't be a trapper. Same goes for Stigend in carpentry. Harreld too as a smith. The rest excepting Dan can lay claim to marksmanship. So much for accuracy. As for distance, Erbrand and Harreld are no doubt the two strongest in camp, and will be favored.
Dan, well, he used to hunt a lot before he left home. And he's a warrior! *Roar* (or at least he would have been if he hadn't left).
Having lived in a forest (and having to hunt his own food) he has an exceptionally good aim at a close-ish range (say, about up to 20m). He's never had to throw a spear much further, so you never know. He's quite strong, even for a normal sized man (though mabe not like Erbrand and especially Harreld). He has excellent concentration (years of hunting and meditating do pay off). But a lot depends on the size and weight of the spear (he might have good points, but he's just a small man, after all).

And, yes, I have come back to this thread (expect a post from me in the Mead Hall by tomorrow) and have finally caught up.

PS. Sorry about all the brackets (But what am I supposed to do?)

Last edited by Eönwë; 11-01-2008 at 06:06 AM.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:31 AM   #1002
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
I was wondering if Ginna could be allowed to join the sword fight event, even if most likely she'll fare poorly compared to the others.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:42 AM   #1003
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Why not?
Old 11-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #1004
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Wow, Thornden didn't do so keenly on the spear throwing. Eh well, maybe he'll do better in the later games.

Good post, Elempi! It was very interesting to read.

-- Foley
Old 11-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #1005
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sorry, Foley. That's the roll of the dice. I admit that not everything was totally random, but hey, nobody else offered to write it so I got to choose who would win.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:17 PM   #1006
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen View Post
I was wondering if Ginna could be allowed to join the sword fight event, even if most likely she'll fare poorly compared to the others.
That would DEFINITELY impress Harreld.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:02 AM   #1007
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Why not?
Thank you, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
That would DEFINITELY impress Harreld.
If it wouldn't scare him into thinking twice about continuing to court her.

Speaking of whom... Poor Harreld. He was so close to winning.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:35 PM   #1008
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Lhuna, didn't you have plans to have Randvér crash the party this Day?
Old 11-03-2008, 06:44 AM   #1009
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Mindreader!

I was thinking of it, as a matter of fact. The problem is I don't think I'll get the chance to write a post this week. If you can wait until next week, I'll try my best to finally bring Randvér to the Mead Hall.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:41 AM   #1010
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
That would be amazingly interesting. I hope you can manage.

-- Folwren
Old 11-03-2008, 12:06 PM   #1011
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen View Post
I was thinking of it, as a matter of fact. The problem is I don't think I'll get the chance to write a post this week. If you can wait until next week, I'll try my best to finally bring Randvér to the Mead Hall.
That would probably be the best time anyway. The games will be pretty much done by then so there should be lots of time for Ginna to steal away from the group. I'm looking forward to it.

EDIT: Welcom back Eonwe, we missed you.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:52 PM   #1012
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Firefoot's next up with the dagger throwing.

In the meantime, character posts are welcome.

Dagger-throwing Rowenna, Eodwine, Harreld, Saeryn, Scyld, Wilcred, Matrim--> FIREFOOT

Wrestling Crabannan, Dan, Harreld, Garstan, Stigend, Aethelstan, Osmund--> ELEMPI

Sack-fight Harreld, Erbrand, Dan, Javan, Cnebba, Garmund, Stigend, Kara--> NOGROD

Archery Erbrand, Crabannan, Garmund, Cnebba, Dan, Eodwine, Javan, Thornden, Wilcred, Balvir, Matrim --> GRÓIN

Quarterstaff-fight Erbrand, Crabannan, Stigend, Dan, Eodwine, Harreld, Thornden, Garstan, Osmund, Aethelstan, Balvir--> NOGROD

Sword fight Crabannan, Dan, Eodwine, Degas, Garstan, Stigend, Aethelstan, Erbrand, Balvir, Matrim--> GWATHAGOR

Dancing

Riddles Dan, Eodwine, Javan, Degas, Wilcred
Old 11-04-2008, 05:34 AM   #1013
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Hmmm.... sometimes Firefoot is away for days. If she doesn't say "I'm here" by the end of today, I'll do the wrestling post and we'll get back to the dagger throwing when she's ready.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:29 PM   #1014
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I was going to write a character post, but then there was nothing pressing for any of my characters to be written about...and unless there's something pressing, when I am short on time, I can't write from scratch...So...that means you all will have to wait until later, for now I have to run off to class.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:40 AM   #1015
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Wrestling

Please indicate your character's prowess in wrestling so I have an idea how to write this. I've added Matrim to make it a clean 8 wrestlers. Here's the order

Garstan v Stigend
Matrim v Crabannan
Dan v Harreld
Aethelstan v Osmund

Two of these initial rounds are easy, since Crabannan has a bum leg and Harreld has a huge advantage on Dan ... once he can get his hands on him.

The winner of G v S will face the winner of M v C, and D v H will face A v O; then the finish round will be the between the winners of the those two rounds.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:27 AM   #1016
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I think Garstan and Stigend would be fairly evenly matched. Garstan being possibly a bit stronger but Stigend being a bit more agile.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:25 PM   #1017
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Well, Dan could be okay against a normal person, but Harreld is super-strong, and giant compared to him.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:41 PM   #1018
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Two of these initial rounds are easy, since Crabannan has a bum leg and Harreld has a huge advantage on Dan ... once he can get his hands on him.
His leg was bad a month ago, but I think it's basically healed by now.

Otherwise: Crabannan is a tall guy, and his strength is slightly above average. He has extensive experience in all kinds of combat, including wrestling, and this has made him skillful. In a fight, however, his natural fighting instincts tend to take over, and he can become incredibly fierce and tenacious, like a kind of battle-rage. He is more flexible than most people he knows.

Strengths:
-some strength
-large frame
-flexibility
-experience
-high intensity

Weaknesses:
-not compact strength, tall
-undisciplined
-only average agility/quickness
-old wound might unexpectedly cause him problems
Old 11-06-2008, 06:32 PM   #1019
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
Well, Dan could be okay against a normal person, but Harreld is super-strong, and giant compared to him.
I'm sure with a bit of winning spirit Dan could win.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #1020
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
I'm sure with a bit of winning spirit Dan could win.

You imagine Harreld to look like that? Thankfully I don't.

I feel so attached to Dan now I feel like saying "thanks for the encouragement!"
Old 11-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #1021
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:

Garstan v Stigend
Matrim v Crabannan
Dan v Harreld
Aethelstan v Osmund
Okay, let's get a little creative. There are going to be three characteristics for each wrestler: strength, dexterity, and constitution (how long it takes before your character gets tired).

Let's use a tool similar to intelligence IQ. 10 = average, 18 = genius, 3 = severely lacking in smarts.

So what is your character's strength, dexterity, and constitution rating, on a scale of 3 to 18?

Here's Harreld: Str: 17 Dex: 13 Con: 15.

Have fun.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:50 AM   #1022
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post

You imagine Harreld to look like that? Thankfully I don't.
Well sort of. His hair needs to be longer and he needs a beard and to smile a lot more and then he reminds me of Harreld.

Quote:
I feel so attached to Dan now I feel like saying "thanks for the encouragement!"
Go gett'm Eonwe!

Seriously though, there's a lot to be said for short fighters (look at the Dwarves for example). Being shorter means that you have a greater chance with having more agility and speed than the taller man. Also the taller man [Harreld] would be rather clumsy if Dan is quick enough. Can you tell who I'm rooting for yet!
Old 11-07-2008, 11:32 AM   #1023
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Ok, I finally managed to post.

And just in case anybody wanted to know, I completely edited my last post (as in, not the one I just posted now).
Old 11-07-2008, 12:13 PM   #1024
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Dan's Stats

Str:11.5 Dex:17 Con:17
Old 11-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #1025
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I've posted a response to Dan, the post turned out much longer than I expected for it to be! One thing brings out another as you might say, sorry if it was all gobble-dee-gook.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:55 PM   #1026
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Crabannan:
Str: 15
Dex: 15
Con: 15

How does this look? Do I have the right idea, LMP?
Old 11-07-2008, 06:15 PM   #1027
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Looks like we've got a lot of remarkable people on our hands.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:55 PM   #1028
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
I've posted a response to Dan, the post turned out much longer than I expected for it to be! One thing brings out another as you might say, sorry if it was all gobble-dee-gook.
It's okay Groin. In fact, I think you did better for Dan than I probably would have been able to (other than the spelling mistakes ).

Hmm... The Day seems quite fun... I wonder how Dan will cope with the beer though.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:28 AM   #1029
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Thinlómien and Groin Redbeard invite you to play in their RPG - Tears Of Mirrormere.

The Discussion Thread is now open to take on players - HERE

Come play!!!

~*~ Pio
Old 11-11-2008, 07:39 AM   #1030
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I've been on the road for three days and am now settled for about three days at my folks on the eastern seaboard of North America. It will be a busy time, but I should be able to squeeze in a wrestling game post. Not to mention character posts.

Fea? Hallooooo? Is Degas going to answer Rowenna?
Old 11-11-2008, 11:12 AM   #1031
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Fea? Hallooooo? Is Degas going to answer Rowenna?
Erm... hang on, I appear to have missed the memo that he was supposed to... *heading to the game thread...*
Old 11-11-2008, 04:17 PM   #1032
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Thanks, Fea. A most sure and brief post that covers all important points. I shall assign str, dex, and con. numbers to all the rest of the wrestlers (hope I get Stigend right), and proceed to put together the matches this evening. Might have this post up soon. Sorry for the delay as this Day is taking forever long to write.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:14 PM   #1033
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Go Harreld, Go! I hope the smith wins.

Good posts, Elempi! Can't wait to see the end....
Old 11-13-2008, 01:05 PM   #1034
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Poor Dan, he never had a chance against that giant Harreld.

Great post Elempi, but my money is on Crabannan that man is to shifty and determined to lose. Looking forward to the ending!
Old 11-13-2008, 02:20 PM   #1035
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Quote:
Poor Dan, he never had a chance against that giant Harreld.
He really didn't. Harreld is simply too big and strong.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #1036
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Thanks, guys. I'll get it done tonight. Supper's ready right now so it'll have to wait for a bit. Funny, I started with dice but they didn't really work at all. Then I went with what I knew of the characters, and just sort of went with what I would expect of the characters, and it's been writing itself. Glad I took wrestling in grade school.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:41 AM   #1037
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Glad I took wrestling in grade school.
Well, that explains it. Those were exciting posts to read, Elempi.

Harreld won! I'm nearly as pleased as Ginna. I could write a character interaction post for this, but I could probably do no more than have Ginna act like a Harreld fangirl.

Actually, I lied. I can't write a post. There's nothing like schoolwork to sap my creative juices, and I'm still supposed to be writing a post for Randvér! I had a plan several months ago on how to bring Rand to the Mead Hall while everyone was busy with making the place comfortably inhabitable, but I couldn't write then, and I certainly can't use that idea now.

I was thinking that it would probably be likely for Eodwine to summon Rand to his new Mead Hall. For what reason specifically, I cannot think for the Eorl. And beyond that, I'm not sure what could happen. Maybe I should spend an entire week's worth of nights to focus on this.

Can anyone please give me a nudge, a push, or a shove?
Old 11-15-2008, 10:54 AM   #1038
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Hey Lhunatic-

*shove*
Old 11-15-2008, 10:57 AM   #1039
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Lhuna, I hope you can find time and creative juice enough soon to write that post with Randver coming back. Will it not be a very interesting meeting? Will he approve of Ginna's attraction to Harreld? Will she tell him about it? Will Harreld approach him and ask if he can marry Ginna? Oh, the possibilities!

I hope you can write it soon.

-- Folwren
Old 11-15-2008, 11:07 AM   #1040
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Hey Lhunatic-

*shove*
*stumble*

Ouch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Lhuna, I hope you can find time and creative juice enough soon to write that post with Randver coming back. Will it not be a very interesting meeting? Will he approve of Ginna's attraction to Harreld? Will she tell him about it? Will Harreld approach him and ask if he can marry Ginna? Oh, the possibilities!
Thanks, Foley. I've actually thought about that as soon as Harreld started making moves, so to speak. It won't be easy, but it will be very interesting to write.

I would never think of acting as a stumbling block to your obedience, Elempi, but I am going to need you for this. I can never write for Harreld by myself.