The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 09:40 AM   #201
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Ghan-Buri-Ghan is all formality and manners when the Riders meet him, but I think the obvious choice here is Saruman.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #202
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Ghan-Buri-Ghan is all formality and manners when the Riders meet him, but I think the obvious choice here is Saruman.
I don't think there is an obvious one this time around...

Saruman and the Old Man Willow are both I think spot on - and with a nice twist even, while you could say that at least Faramir (possibly Bard as he is introduced against Mr. Moneybags) - and both Melian and Galadriel have a decent claim here.

Not to talk of Nienor, of whom I'd still say calling her uncharming would be a disgrace.

And the Spiders of Mirkwood would be just... well, fun.

So not obvious but actually pretty hard to choose from. Well at least if I had to choose.

Last edited by Nogrod; 08-30-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #203
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
So not obvious but actually pretty hard to choose from. Well at least if I had to choose.
Ditto.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #204
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
This has been no picnic narrowing these down.

If I had to chose with no thought I'd have to say Saruman, but when I think about it Old Man Willow and Ghan-Buri-Ghan are better choices.

Ghan-Buri-Ghan

To see him on the list made me smile, but he really was charming in how he dealt with Theoden. He deserves more credit than he's given.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #205
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Gwath picks up his 2nd.

Sending all new red taters now and then we'll go to the next Round. Gwath judging "ridiculous"
Old 08-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #206
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Tally

the phantom - 3 (Honest, Insane, Violent)
Nogrod - 2 (Extraordinary, Peaceful)
Gwath - 2 (Neglected, Charming)
Kitanna - 1 (Deadly)
Menel - 1 (Cuddly)

-----

ROUND 10

Gwath, for "ridiculous" this could also be a challenging one to judge:

Mablung (the Hunter)
Entmoot
Ban of the Valar
Grima Wormtongue
Farmer Maggot
Oath of Feanor
Uruk-hai
Saeros
Hurin

**There were 2 problems that I couldn't get to until now because of my limitted internet, so there may be two more choices added on later/shortly**

---

ROUND 11

Green tater: Weary (lazy, lifeless, apathetic)
Judge: Kath
Old 08-30-2012, 04:35 PM   #207
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
A difficult round to judge indeed...

I have to say I'm more taken with the "things" rather than the people. Entmoot, Ban, and Oath just sound better, and they are funny. Uruk-hai is also a bit funny, as it makes me think of Saruman experimenting with a new species and producing an army with arms growing out of their heads...
Old 08-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #208
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Mablung (the Hunter)- It's ridiculous that someone would send this in.
Saeros- Ditto above.
Entmoot- This one made me laugh. It's kinda true.
Ban of the Valar- Not so true, and not as funny.
Grima Wormtongue- Despicable, rather.
Farmer Maggot- He wasn't, & not in a funny way.
Oath of Feanor- Deadly serious, and not funny.
Uruk-hai- This one makes me laugh.
Hurin- Qualifies as blasphemy to play Hurin for this.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #209
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Ridiculous (absurd, ludicrous, preposterous)

Not in any sense ridiculous, not to the point nor fun:

Mablung (the Hunter)
Entmoot (saying it was ridiculous only betrays the suggester being ridiculous. )
Ban of the Valar
Farmer Maggot
Oath of Feanor
Húrin

Which leaves only candidates which are neither brilliant or great either...

Grima Wormtongue - sad character rather, or then despicable, or even evil if one wants to look at him that way. But not so much ridiculous unless you wish to maintain that all puppets are ridiculous by definition.

Uruk-hai - To call the Uruks ridiculous sounds a bit odd as well. You could say deformed, twisted, cruel, maniacal, stupid; maybe mocking the nature and then by some way the products of a "ridiculous attempt at twisting nature" or something.

Saeros - I think comes the closest of the three: comparing men to animals sure is ridiculous, especially if done from jealousy (which is kind of self-contradicting) - then again, trying to ambush Túrin and get better of him far outreaches plain ridiculousness (okay, might go as ludicrous or preposterous) - and his fate is far from anything fun or to be smirked about.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:15 PM   #210
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
My choice is:

OATH OF FEANOR
Old 08-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #211
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

I believe it would come down to the Oath of Feanor or Ban of the Valar (with the Entmoot being an outside humour chance).

And now...Menel finds himself with 2.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:01 PM   #212
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Tally

Menel - 2 (Cuddly, Ridiculous)
Kitanna - 1 (Deadly)

----

ROUND 11

Kath, these are your options for "weary."

Rivendell
The Old Forest
Gorlim the Unhappy
Maedhros
Mandos
Brown Lands
Mirkwood
Galion the Butler
Ringwraiths

Several places, but they rather fit and make sense with a few reasonable people too.

---

ROUND 12

I caved...and considering the alternative definitions this could also be interesting. Go crazy:

Green tater: Chewy (rubbery, gummy, stringy)
Judge: Lhuna

Last edited by Boromir88; 08-31-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:03 PM   #213
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

I think Galion is the obvious answer here.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:11 PM   #214
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Ringwraiths are being added.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:26 PM   #215
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I don't get Rivendell. The others are equally "ish".
Old 08-31-2012, 10:20 PM   #216
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Eye

BEST REAL ANSWER

Mandos- It's called the "Halls of Waiting" after all. Quite true.

BEST FUNNY ANSWER

Maedhros- Bet he got tired hanging by his arm all day, ha ha!

BEST COMBINATION ANSWER

Galion the Butler- Heh heh, yes indeed.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #217
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Weary (lazy, lifeless, apathetic)

Good picks:

Mandos - To the point. Weary of all the sorrows of the world only he and his brother understand and unable to basically do anything about any fate as that could mess with Eru's plans (well he made one exception though). And like phantom said: the Halls of Waiting... You could touch the laziness and apathy - and the lifelesness almost by definition...

Brown Lands - a good one. You could really attach all the attributes given to it - and the weariness looming over it by both the place itself in the absence of the Entwives who had made it flower times ago - and the longing of the ents projected on it...

Rivendell - A place dedicated to the reminiscence of heroic days of the past where along it's long halways elves recited old poems - and did nothing for an age even if they could have! A place which air was thick with weariness by the loss of the great history and the depressing thought of future fate of the elves felt. A place perfectly suiting the over-ageing Bilbo Baggins to wither away... A place of an eternal autumn.

I can see why to pick if not agreeing fully:

The Old Forest - It was an old forest indeed, waning in a way and weariness fits it well. The problem though is that it seemed not to be that lazy, lifeless or apathetic when it had something to do - like stray and catch some hobbits...

Ringwraiths - Haha! Yeah, I could see the point in here, but in the absence of a deeper view of the ringwraith psychology it is up to anyone to have their own minds about their disposition... ("Oh no, not again a trip to catch some miserable halflings from the other side of the ME... give me a break; I was just having a sweet daydream of my glorious past and would rather sleep over my sorry state." )

Galion the Butler - I'd disagree with him being a good choice. He was lazy and fond of wine, but weary, lifeless, apathetic? No.

Poor choices / can't get the point:

Maedhros - except for the joke phantom refers to it's hard to see him as lazy, lifeless or apathetic - and his weariness in face of their deeds Maglor would have been a more fitting choice... Maedhros played - and firmly decided to play it - to the bitter end. A weary one would have resigned.

Gorlim the Unhappy - weary maybe in one sense, but then again if he had been weary in the other sense (bringing in laziness or apathy) none of the bad things would have fallen after the first tragedy - so on the contrary it was hope and desire that fell him even deeper...

Mirkwood - can't see any point in choosing this one (someone needed to discard a tater I presume?).
Old 09-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #218
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Rivendell
The Old Forest
Gorlim the Unhappy
Maedhros
Mandos
Brown Lands
Mirkwood
Galion the Butler
Ringwraiths

A lot of these work for weary! Some of them didn't strike me at all as I read them though and some of them I just don't know enough about so I'm discounting: Gorlim the Unhappy, Maedhros, Mandos and the Brown Lands. Also I don't think Galion the Butler is weary. Drunk and in massive trouble very soon but not weary. The Ringwraiths are having a new lease of life at the moment what with new steeds and all so though I originally thought of them as being quite weary I've changed my mind.

Rivendell is good. I think there is a heavy sense of weariness there, but really it's also the centre of hope (literally if you think of Aragorn).

It's the two forests that really work for me. Mirkwood for literal reasons - Bombur falling in the river and sleeping for long periods of time, and then the Dwarves passing out every time they get near the elf fires. But it's more evil than weary.

So I choose: The Old Forest
Old 09-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #219
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Lhuna gets on the board with The Old Forest.

Next round in precisely 1 hour.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #220
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
Rivendell is good. I think there is a heavy sense of weariness there
Yes Kath! You got it! Although only half-way through: once again so near and so far at the same time.

But to be fair, I think The Old Forest was a great choice as well - not to talk of Mandos - or the Brown Lands... Kudos for those picking them!
Old 09-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #221
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Distracted by the beginning of the College Football season. But we begin new round...

Tally

Kitanna - 1 (Deadly)
Lhuna - 1 (Weary)

----

ROUND 12

Lhuna, for chewy, there is clearly some nice creativity here...

Swan Knights of Dol Amroth
Draugluin
burrahobbit
Tuna
Bilbo Baggins
Gorbag
Maglor
Rose Cotton
Morgul-knives

----

ROUND 13

Green tater: Melodramatic (showy, sensational, theatrical)
Judge: sally

Last edited by Boromir88; 09-04-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #222
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

A chewy Burrahobbit! Hah, wasn't that what it all was about, chewy or not? (Bilbo loses to the Burrahobbit as a pick as Burrahobbit is spot on.)

Or well, Tuna... you know if prepared badly it can be a bit gunny or rubbery.

Never kissed Rosie Cotton so hard to say about that.

Hopefully more intelligent ideas later.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #223
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

THESE ARE CHEWY

burrahobbit- So thought the three trolls.
Bilbo Baggins- So thought Smaug & Gollum.
Tuna- Ha ha ha!
Old 09-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #224
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Morgul-knives is added as well.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #225
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom View Post
THESE ARE CHEWY

burrahobbit- So thought the three trolls.
Bilbo Baggins- So thought Smaug & Gollum.
Tuna- Ha ha ha!
I liked "Tuna" as well.

Also, it helps to look at the list from a dragon's perspective. I'd go with Maglor in that case, as elves stay nice and juicy year after year while the rest get tough and stringy with age.

Last edited by Meneltarmacil; 09-01-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Meneltarmacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #226
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

What about things that chew?
Old 09-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #227
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
What about things that chew?
If we want to enlarge the scope of the word "chewy" then maybe we should also consider characters that are chewy as characters - so unlike Rosie Cotton who is straightforward good and nice and Gorbag who is straightforwardly bad and evil - then with characters like Maglor you need to chew a little bit more; and they are gummy or rubbery enough they are not that easily put into a mold to stay there nicely.

Last edited by Nogrod; 09-01-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #228
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Thank you, Kath! I dedicate this win to Boro.

I actually have an instant pick but I am still willing to be won over.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #229
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

Well, we can't possibly judge whether to try and sway you if you don't first know your instant pick, heh heh.

In my opinion though those three I listed earlier are in their own class.

Much of the allure of burrahobbit is the simple humor in the name itself, because realistically Bilbo Baggins is superior as Bilbo is burrahobbit, and as Bilbo also found himself in other "chewy" situations (notably Smaug, Spiders, and Gollum of course) his chewiness exceeds that of burrahobbit.

And then Tuna works great as an absurd word-play pick- it would very likely win most RL rounds of Taters I would say.

In the end it's down to preference- the punny Tuna, or one of the two Bilbo taters.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:13 AM   #230
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Of the two Bilbos I think Burrahobbit is far funnier and more spot on. I mean you can say Bilbo entered also other "chewy" situations, but the scene with Bilbo managing to get himself called a burrahobbit is exactly a situation where it is a question of how he would taste and how to cook him...

Tuna still remains a favourite for me as well.

I'm also beginning to like the idea of picking a character you have to chew a little and not just put simply in a category like "good" or "evil". From that POV Maglor would be a perfect candidate - and if someone is stringy, then he is!

Rosie Cotton might be a wildcard as well.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #231
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
My internet is spotty and I have to retire early, so I'll cast my vote hours ahead of the deadline.

I imagine Draugluin and Gorbag to be a tad leathery, for some reason. burrahobbit is a fitting choice especially in the context it was mentioned in the book, and would have won had not ++Túna made me chuckle out loud.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #232
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Sally has now made it onto the board. Heh, Tuna...clever use of that one, although I thought burrahobbit would take it.

All new red taters are going out now, and sicne I've cleared out my inbox, if I've accidentally forgotten to send anyone their "chewy" replacements, please let me know.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #233
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Tally

Kitanna - 1 (Deadly)
Lhuna - 1 (Weary)
sally - 1 (Chewy)

----

ROUND 13

sally for "melodramatic"...again have fun picking the winner out of this grouping:

Fingolfin
Aredhel
Gil-galad
Gandalf the Grey Uncloaked
Sack of Nargothrond
Legolas
Shelob
Eru Iluvatar
Horn of Gondor
Sador the Lame

-----

ROUND 14

Green tater: Rank (smelly, odorous, stinky)
Judge: Nogrod

Last edited by Boromir88; 09-02-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #234
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
....That cannot possibly have just happened.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #235
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
All right. The rest of you have until the deadline to convince me that I shouldn't just pick Gandalf the Grey Uncloaked. I wish you luck.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #236
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

With it being a holiday over here and things slowing down I was actually going to announce let's have a break today and continue again on Tuesday.

Enjoy the day. Cheers.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #237
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

Eye

That's the only right answer this round, Sally. I'm not going to bother making opposing arguments.

And now- I'm off to enjoy my schedule-free day!
Old 09-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #238
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Surprise us Sally and don't go with the trump card.

Think fex. of Fingolfin's Melodramatic story - being rewarded from his righteousness after all the toil, sorrow and heroic crossing of Helcaraxë, becoming the High king through his might and trueness - and his son's deeds.

And how does it end? Hearing a false story of his side losing he rides ALONE to challenge Morgoth himself into a duel! And he deals Morgoth a good deal of blows nobody had done or would (fex. making him to limp for the rest of his corporeal being)... and dying, of course, like any melodramatic hero needs to do. But even in death his body was rescued by none else than Thorondor and a cairn was built to honour his memory...

I mean what melodramatic is in Gandalf cloaked or uncloaked in comparison to that story?
Old 09-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #239
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

When I was already out of town I realized that I forgot to tell you guys I won't be here for a couple days. Sorry.

For melodramatic, I would say Aredhel and Sack of Nargothrond are quite accurate, but Mr. Uncloaked trumps them all.

PS: Boro, I didn't get a new red tater to replace chewy one. May I please...?
Old 09-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #240
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'm not sure why Gandalf the Grey Uncloaked seems to be the obvious choice here. Sure, it's hilarious, but how is it melodramatic?