Muddy Bells!!!!!

Tallas is dead! . . . ack!!! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2003, 03:18 AM   #522
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Vanwe shall be sure to put his dagger to fine use. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight
Old 10-26-2003, 10:47 PM   #523
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Ealasaide has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I just posted with Benia and wanted to let everyone know that I am not springing any new surprises. When Kaldir says that Naiore stole something from him that he intends to get back, he is referring to intangibles such as his prior life and his dignity.

...and maybe his face! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] although it's not likely he'll be getting
that back.

[ October 26, 2003: Message edited by: Ealasaide ]
Old 10-27-2003, 01:05 AM   #524
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Silmaril

Fantastic post, Ealasaide. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Nerindel Did Avanill learn of an Elf called Menecin in nearby Imladris from Tallas, overhearing him whisper that to Vanwe?

Wanted to check if that happened before I go high-tailing it down yet another tangent. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight
Old 10-27-2003, 08:43 PM   #525
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Quote:
Nerindel, I kinda feel sorry for Toby. I'm sure he's not so nasty as to deserve being gangpressed into helping Naiore.
oh! I have plans for master longholes, you feel sorry for him now but you might not think that later as our story progresses [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Quote:
Nerindel Did Avanill learn of an Elf called Menecin in nearby Imladris from Tallas, overhearing him whisper that to Vanwe?
No he learned nothing from Tallas, but knowledge resides in the house if one knows were to look [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

A point that may intrest Barrold, all Tallas journals are leather bound and gilded with mithril, but they are all written in the ancient script of the Noldor. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

RIP Tallas *sniff sniff*

(Irony) the knife Tallas gave to Vanwe, is Barrolds. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Wasn't sure if you missed that or not. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ October 27, 2003: Message edited by: Nerindel ]
Old 10-28-2003, 06:16 AM   #526
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Not at all! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I was planning to put that little gem to good use. As for Tallas' journal, my thanks for that pointer. Should provide interesting reading for one Naiore Dannan, Noldorin Lady of the Swan, of Belfalas Nobility..... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2003, 05:17 PM   #527
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quick question: are Lespheria and the Rangers going to go back to the woods to see if they can pick up Vanwe's trail?

Old 10-29-2003, 05:35 PM   #528
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Yes! We will go back to the woods to follow Vanwe, Barrold and Anavill's trail, where Lésperia will discover that they are heading towards Tallas' place.

I would think as we approach the old mans house we would discover the their tracks leaving in a different direction.

Léspheria and Amandur would carry on to Tallas's leaving the others to follow Vanwe et all. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

This gives Kaldir et all, ample time to pick up the trail ahead of us. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2003, 06:29 PM   #529
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Sting

Ok, everyone I've put a post up for Amandur, sorry if its a bit long, but it had to be done. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

I'm in the middle of composing a post for Léspheria, which should fill in the blanks in Amandur's posts, but it is late here and I need some sleep!! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

But I have one question before I go, Hilde, Imladris How much do Rauthain and Maethor know about Kaldir, past and present? does either of them know that Benia and Gilly are his Prisoners?

ok I know thats two questions, but I'm really tired! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2003, 07:08 PM   #530
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nerindel, Rauthain knew Kaldir before he was taken captive, and grew to know Kaldir’s father after that event took place. He has only recently learned that Kaldir is truly alive, and has no knowledge of Benia & Gilly (though he did see a familiar seeming personage, from the back, with three horses near the Forsaken Inn).

Another couple of points I wanted to mention are that in my mind Rauthain can not read or write and is more or less like an enlisted man among officers in this group.

Hope you had a good rest. I know I'm could use some sleep and it's early yet!

[ November 04, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]
Old 10-30-2003, 07:11 PM   #531
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

There are only a few things that Maethor knows about Kaldir: that he has turned bounty hunter and what Naiore did to him. He does not know about Benia and Gilly.

Old 10-30-2003, 07:30 PM   #532
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Sting

Thanks Hilde, Imladris that helps [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Ealasaide it looks like Dúlrain won't find out the truth about Benia till a bit later in our story. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

ok I'm really going to bed now, goodnight. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2003, 10:31 PM   #533
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

Nerindel - okay! Sounds good. He can feel guilty a little longer! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Everybody - I am working on the post in which Kaldir will find the cave & get back on Naiore's trail. I should have it up sometime tomorrow. It's half done now but I am so tired I can't type anymore tonight. Sorry! Goodnight!

[ October 30, 2003: Message edited by: Ealasaide ]
Old 10-31-2003, 05:00 AM   #534
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Nerindel, the two characters who could figure out that Kaldir has Benia, would be Lespheria and Hanasain. Could Hanasain have mentioned Benia's troubles to Dulrain?
Old 10-31-2003, 05:56 AM   #535
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Sting

Hilde,No, Hansian didn't mention it! he was too preoccupied by thoughts of his father [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] imagine [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Anyway my original plan was to have Léspheria and Amandur tell Dúlrain his mistake, but alas the oppertunity was missed, But no matter he will find out eventually.

Another thing Dúlrain, has no Idea that any of the rangers already know of Kaldir's survival least of all that they all know!! So he will be none to please to find out that his revelation is old news, especially with Amandur who he respects not only as a leader but a friend, it will come as a harsh blow that he found Kaldir and never told him.

One more thing, anyone who knows Kaldir personally should also be aware of Dúlrain. Where ever Kaldir went his friend was always found two steps behind, but never in his shadow. The only time they were parted was Ravenfalls hence Dúlrain's guilt.

Also another thing in my mind, Dúlrain once harboured bad feelings towards the Rangers that survived Ravenfalls holding them like himself partially reasonsible for Kaldir's fate, but after the war and his time riding with Hanasain these feelings left him, but I see them returning with his own guilt.

Hilde, its been what 15/16 years since Ravenfalls, so Dúlrain has not recognised Rauthain as one of the men who was with Kaldir at that time, But I'm sure when Rauthain talks about Kaldir he will remember and some of those bad feeling will resurface. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2003, 06:04 AM   #536
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

OOOooo the plot thickens! [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2003, 10:58 AM   #537
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Did I mess you up, Nerindel? Because if I did I am so sorry...I didn't know you had wanted to do something...

Old 10-31-2003, 12:24 PM   #538
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

Everybody - I've just posted with Kaldir. Sorry to say, they are still on the hill outside the cave. I hope to post with Benia later today & get them moving so that the Rangers can find the cave.
Sorry to be so pokey! It's just that Kaldir's post had gotten so long and I was still going...
It was time for a change of POV.

Hilde - Gilly can jump in anytime here, too. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2003, 03:23 PM   #539
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Sting

Quote:
Did I mess you up, Nerindel? Because if I did I am so sorry...I didn't know you had wanted to do something...
No worries Imladris that is the nature of the game and I'm nothing if not adaptable. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[EDIT] oooh! great post Ealasaide, I can't wait to see Benia's.

[ October 31, 2003: Message edited by: Nerindel ]
Old 10-31-2003, 06:49 PM   #540
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Fantastic work everyone! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I'm having a ball reading along for the moment. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I had planned to post next at nightfall, when Naiore and co had camped down for the night. There's a fair bit to happen in that... including Naiore's change of planned direction, plus a few more ideas that have been bubbling away in my mangled grey matter. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

I don't want to cut anybody else off. Please let me know when your characters are in place and the nightfall post can roll in. I am determined not to gazump anyone.

In fact, if someone else wants to mention the passing of time from day to evening in their posts, that would be great! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I'll just follow that cue most happily.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:25 PM   #541
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Just a quick note to let everyone know that I have edited Léspheria's post to the end of Amandur's. Not that you would miss it of course, another long one am afraid. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2003, 06:40 AM   #542
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Thanks For letting us know Nerindel. I rely too much on e-mail notification and such things don't show up on that radar screen! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2003, 10:47 AM   #543
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Imladris I hope that my post is Ok with you and doesn't mess anything up.

Nerindel Sorry it took a while, but Dulrain now has quite a bit to think about. From what I remember, he did not know that Kaldir had been captured.

[edit] Finally, read Lespheria's addition. Beautiful post!

Feel free to mention Rauthain come trotting back at any time.

[ November 01, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]
Old 11-01-2003, 12:57 PM   #544
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Very nice post, Hilde!

Old 11-01-2003, 07:31 PM   #545
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

Sorry I have been holding things up again. Work & family obligations have been walking all over my writing time again. I will have something up tonight that moves Kaldir & co. along.

Elora - please wait before changing the time frame!!! I need to get my group off of Bree Hill and out of Bree before nightfall.
Old 11-01-2003, 07:49 PM   #546
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

Oh. Well, having read the thread now, I see you didn't wait. I will have to edit mine in at the end of Kaldir's, I guess.

In that case, since I am not holding anyone up, I'll post mine tomorrow when I am not quite so tired & in a better position to write a decent post.

[ November 01, 2003: Message edited by: Ealasaide ]
Old 11-01-2003, 11:30 PM   #547
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Yipes! Sorry Ealasaide.... I'll remove mine, save it and post it later so that it makes more sense.

I didn't see your note here until after I had finished crafting up the post.

Again, my apologies. [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2003, 02:43 AM   #548
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I was thinking.. (shock horror!) about how Barrold and Avanill are supposed to have stolen several books form Tallas place. Since it was Avanill who raided the place, and seemign to be the more literary man, im guessing that he must have picked it up...

I really want to do something about this because i believe it could be really interesting. So i need some help... What exactly would the books contain? Im hoping this will be something exclusive to Avanill that he can keep in his mind for later or that it is details about the past of certain figures in society (or details that Tallas may have come across when two of the greatest Bandit threats of Middle Earth came to clashed with oneanother and one was killed.... (Avanill's father) ) Which would make Avanill more and more unsure about whether helping Naiore is the right thing or not...

Help!!! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 11-02-2003, 04:18 AM   #549
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Sting

Everdawn unless your character can read ancient Noldorin the only words he would be able to read are maybe the names of his parents, that might not be translatable in to that ancient tongue?

The Tomes themselves are more to do with the Elves, Especially the relationship between, Naiore, Vanwe, Menecin, Valaindon (Léspheria's mother)and Léspheria, his and the council of Imladris belief that the Fates of all five are some how bound together or at least intertwined. And of course the revalation that Menecin is still alive and is under the protection of Imladris!

I did not realise when I wrote my post that only Avanill went inside, the destruction I described in my last post was more fitting with Barrold than with Avanill and I also thought that the Mithril bound tomes would catch his eye, as that metal is very rare and would fetch a fair price on the black market! Do I have to adjust my post or is it feasible for us to assume that Barrold entered the house after Avanill??? [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

(For some strange reason I thought he had *shrugs*)

Everdawn just an after thought, not all Tallas' books were in ancient tongues,Texts relating to Avanill's parents would likely be in westron and in a more ordinary looking book, don't you think! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ November 02, 2003: Message edited by: Nerindel ]
Old 11-02-2003, 05:07 AM   #550
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Perfectly feasible to assume that Barrold entered after Tallas. He would have pilfered first and destroyed later...

As for the books, I had an idea.... brace yourselves.... hard hats on? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

The tomes that Barrold took are in ancient Noldorin. He lifted them secretively, not trusting Avanill with such a prize, in the hopes of winning some points with Naiore.

However, I think it likely that Tallas had more than those books in his house. Avanill could have found other books that he took, recognising a different value...

Say, books on the history of herbology and local botany.... ancient receipes for plants and herbs.... Tallas' medicinal notes, so to speak.

For his trade, such tomes would be of great value, financial and otherwise.

Naiore' chief interest will be in the books lifted by Barrold. She is a student of lore, a philosopher of a grim bent, and she would immediately recognise their import.

Avanill could use his books to work to his favour. Maybe concocting a new potion of use. Naiore guards her secrets well and only ever purchased raw materials from Avanill's mother. If Avanill proved he had some alchemist knowledge, that would make him both more useful/potent as well as dangerous from Naiore's perspective.

How does that sound? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2003, 06:38 AM   #551
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Don't forget the Mithril books had a rather stubborn lock. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I imagine that if Tallas keep notes in such rich volumes. Could he not have kept other notes in books, perhaps with gold work?

Ealasaide I do apologize, I feel as though I qued Elora with the reference to the sun! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

[ November 02, 2003: Message edited by: Hilde Bracegirdle ]
Old 11-02-2003, 11:44 AM   #552
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Thumbs up

Elora - thanks! I really appreciate it. I will have my post up there this afternoon... come fire or high water! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Hilde - no problem! Thanks, everyone, for your patience.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:38 PM   #553
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Please assure me that when you are speaking of the books being written in Noldorin that you mean they are written in Quenyan, as opposed to the common Elvish tongue of this period which would be Sindarin.

From the Ardalambrion site:

Quote:
Quenya or High-elven is the most prominent language of the Amanya branch of the Elvish language family. In Aman there were two dialects of Quenya, Vanyarin and Noldorin. For historical reasons, only the latter was used in Middle-earth.
Here is the entire article on Quenya:

QUENYA
Old 11-02-2003, 03:22 PM   #554
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tolkien

Yes, I tend to use Noldorin and Quenyan interchangably when referring to language, myself.

I believe the tomes bound in mithril are written in Quenyan, using the Tengwar characters. My prediction is that Tallas will deliberately have chosen to use such a rareified language so as to minimise the risk of the information falling into the wrong hands. Of course, that fact that Naiore is herself Noldorin nobility who hails from ancient times means that she easily reads, writes and speaks Quenyan (her mother tongue) and so can understand the information recorded.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2003, 05:11 PM   #555
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

My post is up! As far as my characters go, I am ready to move on into nighttime.

Hilde - did you have something you needed Rauthain to do before it is dark? You had mentioned his going to Bree Hill as well and having a look around.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:19 PM   #556
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Shwoa Ealasaide! What a post! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

It's OK for it to become night. Rauthain is going to keep what he saw to himself for now, I think. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2003, 08:48 PM   #557
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sting

Quote:
Shwoa Ealasaide! What a post!
I hope you mean that in a good way! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2003, 01:52 AM   #558
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

That is a really great idea Elora, ill work something up for it and PM you before I use it though...

~My lord, Éomer~
Old 11-03-2003, 02:51 AM   #559
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Great! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Look forward to seeing what you have in mind, Everdawn. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Fantastic work, Easalsaide.

I'll put up the diatribe, erm, I mean the post for Naiore/Vanwe. It transitions from late afternoon to evening.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:03 AM   #560
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Sting

Yes Ealasaide, in the best possible way!