The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #481
Mithennor
Pile O'Bones

Mithennor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mithennor Send a message via MSN to Mithennor
I translated my real name (by looking up the meaning and translating that)into elvish and Mithennor was my favorite name that came of that.
Mithennor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #482
ecthelion
Pile O'Bones

ecthelion has just left Hobbiton.
I choose ecthelion because he is my favorite elf and he is a lord of my favorite city GONDOLIN. I am also probably the only person who can say that ecthelion is my favorite elf.
ecthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:37 AM   #483
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Nice stories!

I just realised I had never posted here (according to the site itself)!

It's quite random actually.

Years ago my daughter (Thinlómien) told me to check this forum and I immediately thought it looked great and I felt I wished to comment on a thread but the forum required creating an account to do that. So as I saw that people seemed to have Tolkien inspired nicks I thought that was the general way of doing it here. I picked my copy of the Silmarillion and started going through the Index to find something that was not too obvious and sounded nice. And then there was Nogrod. I thought immediately that was fine as I kind of like dwarves and it sounded northern/eastern. I could never have thought of taking an elvish or hobbittish nick... or anything from the LotR.

As I started to get around the place I must admit I was a bit frustrated with my nick... I mean after meeting people like littlemanpoet, The Saucepan Man, theguywhobeshort... just great nicks! Why hadn't I thought of something along those lines?

But yes, with years passing I have grown used to Nogrod, it's like a second skin now.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #484
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Skip Spence was a musician who had a brief spell of moderate fame and fortune in the late 60's, as a member of both Jefferson Airplane and Moby Grape, two seminal "hippie"-bands from San Francisco. Being something of an acid victim he was incarcerated for trying to attack his manager with a fire-ax and upon his release he cut a solo album, "Oar", before once again disappearing into a fog of mental illness. Many years ago I listened a lot to that album, which is mad but also quite brilliant, and when I was going to register to another forum, completely unrelated to Tolkien, I chose his name as a nick, for no reason other than him being on my mind.

When I first found this site I was in the process of immersing myself in the more nerdy Tolkien materials like HoME, Lost Tales, Unfinished Tales etc, and wanting to comment on a thread I saw, I just used the nick and password from the other forum out of convenience.

So that's that.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:04 AM   #485
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Not much of a story, really. I found Galadriel's personality more powerful than any one's in LotR (apart from Gandalf). I didn't like her much initially, but eventually I found a respect for her that was hard to define.

Last edited by Galadriel; 09-28-2010 at 04:25 AM.
Galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #486
Lastande Took
Animated Skeleton

Lastande Took has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I got my real name, found a website that translates your name into Quenya, and 'Lastande' was the result. (I hope it has the same meaning as my real name. ) 'Took' because I like Hobbits a lot, and the Tooks are, well, Tookish, something I'd like to be. That's how I got my mixture of High-Elven and Hobbit.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:03 PM   #487
spirit_of_fire
Pile O'Bones

spirit_of_fire has just left Hobbiton.
@Blind Guardian - Especially their nightfall in middle-earth album, the ultimate(and possibly only) combination of tolkien and metal

@Galadriel - Lol what do you mean you will "diminish"? Besides, no going into the west for all of us mortals, "all roads are now bent".

I found feanor to be the deepest and most vivid character, and also one of the most tragic, I constantly found myself empathising and identifying with him. So I chose this, which also happens to fit balrogs nicely, which are also cool. In fact tolkiens whole fea/spirit concept is awesome, was it maedhros who came back from his time at angband and for all his torment his spirit burned brighter than ever?
spirit_of_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:38 PM   #488
LadyBrooke
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The modern day version of Edoras: horses, wind, rolling plains =)
LadyBrooke is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to LadyBrooke
Brooke is my middle name, and on several other sites I'm known as LadyBrookeofLorien so I just dropped the ofLorien part. Plus several of the forum names I chose when I was younger are terribly embarrassing to me know like Council of Elrond one or my Fictionalley one (rowena&salazar4ever). At least they're not OrliFan#1 or something like that.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #489
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit_of_fire View Post
@Blind Guardian - Especially their nightfall in middle-earth album, the ultimate(and possibly only) combination of tolkien and metal

@Galadriel - Lol what do you mean you will "diminish"? Besides, no going into the west for all of us mortals, "all roads are now bent".

I found feanor to be the deepest and most vivid character, and also one of the most tragic, I constantly found myself empathising and identifying with him. So I chose this, which also happens to fit balrogs nicely, which are also cool. In fact tolkiens whole fea/spirit concept is awesome, was it maedhros who came back from his time at angband and for all his torment his spirit burned brighter than ever?
I think I was high on sugar at that time
Old 09-28-2010, 06:54 AM   #490
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe What is the reason for your nickname ?

Can't remember if I answered this in the last 10 years or not....

I started using this name when I first signed up for an email account back in the early 90's because I was listening to Rush at the time and their song 'By-Tor & the Snowdog' was playing. I then used it on some music bulletin boards, and then used it on EZ Board when I registered, then on a few Tolkien sites I registered for in 2000. On newer Tolkien sites I register for, I started using either an RP character name that I developed during my golden years of RP writing, or one of the Dunedain Chieftain names.

I always liked Galadriel since I first read the books. Cate in the movies kinda messed that up for me for awhile, but she has re-taken her place thanks to a good friend.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #491
Adaneth
Newly Deceased

Adaneth has just left Hobbiton.
Well, my username is probably recognisable as it's from Tolkien's Athrabeth (since the name of Andreth, one of my favourite female characters, was taken, and I wanted a Tolkien-themed name).

If I can recall correctly, I believe it means woman. Which I am.
Adaneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #492
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

xMellrynxMaidenx has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via MSN to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Yahoo to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Skype™ to xMellrynxMaidenx
Leaf

I chose mine because I absolutely love the mallorn trees and Lothlorien in general. It mainly comes from a nickname I gave to an RP character I use, Mallornriel.

I told you I love the mallorn trees, not to mention mallorn is a beautiful word. So sue, me I'm a tree hugger, haha.

Though, if I could choose to change it I would go with something along the lines of Erestor or Lindir, or something to do with Elladan and Elrohir. Perhaps something to do with Haldir What can I say? I'm a sucker for the less important characters, hehe.
~|And all will turn, to silver glass. A light on the water, Grey ships pass, Into the West. |~ "Few now remember them...yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folks that are heedless."

Last edited by xMellrynxMaidenx; 10-12-2010 at 12:46 PM.
xMellrynxMaidenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:01 PM   #493
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel View Post
Not much of a story, really. I found Galadriel's personality more powerful than any one's in LotR (apart from Gandalf). I didn't like her much initially, but eventually I found a respect for her that was hard to define.
How the same with me!!!!!!!
Also, I kind of forgot about all the women of the 1st and 2nd ages, so my choices of LOTR names were pretty limited. Out of the women mentioned in LOTR, I like Galadriel the most at the moment, although Eowyn is pretty fascinating as well.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:50 AM   #494
findorfin
Newly Deceased

findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
The House of Finwe is my favourite family in the Silmarillion so I came up with a name that seemed to fit in well. That must have been back around 2000 (although obviously a different account to the new one I now have).

I'm pleased with it.
findorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #495
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
How the same with me!!!!!!!
Also, I kind of forgot about all the women of the 1st and 2nd ages, so my choices of LOTR names were pretty limited. Out of the women mentioned in LOTR, I like Galadriel the most at the moment, although Eowyn is pretty fascinating as well.
I didn't think much of Éowyn, actually. I just thought Galadriel was absolutely brilliant I mean, wise, an athlete, intelligent, powerful, masterful and also the daughter of Finarfin. Yep, that's one heck of a woman.

I liked Aredhel too, but not as much as Galadriel.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:57 PM   #496
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
When I decided on my username, for some reason I completely forgot about the 1st age women. I like Morwen best, even better than Galadriel. But Galadriel would be 2nd place, of course . 3rd place would probably be Melian. What about you, guys? What nickname would you choose if it wasn't the one you have?
No offence, Galadriel, but I don't think much of Aredhel.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:24 AM   #497
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
When I decided on my username, for some reason I completely forgot about the 1st age women. I like Morwen best, even better than Galadriel. But Galadriel would be 2nd place, of course . 3rd place would probably be Melian. What about you, guys? What nickname would you choose if it wasn't the one you have?
No offence taken I rather like Melian myself. You have to see this illustration of her face-palming while Thingol has had Maglor tied to a pillar and Daeron is driving the poor Noldo to madness by singing
Old 12-24-2010, 08:35 PM   #498
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithennor View Post
I translated my real name (by looking up the meaning and translating that)into elvish and Mithennor was my favorite name that came of that.
If I translated my name, one of the possibilities I'd get would be Arwen, but she annoys me quite a bit, so I chose not to use that name .
Old 12-24-2010, 09:38 PM   #499
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

xMellrynxMaidenx has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via MSN to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Yahoo to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Skype™ to xMellrynxMaidenx
Leaf

Quote:
When I decided on my username, for some reason I completely forgot about the 1st age women. I like Morwen best, even better than Galadriel. But Galadriel would be 2nd place, of course. 3rd place would probably be Melian. What about you, guys? What nickname would you choose if it wasn't the one you have?
I have numerous nicks I would choose.

My name translated into elvish is Eruwaedhiel. I would probably use that or just use plain ol' Lord Elrond. Or I would use something to do with the Rangers, possibly just use Ranger of the North. OR I would use something relating to Elladan and Elrohir. Haha, but I like my nick now, Mellryn Maiden.

I just love those trees!
~|And all will turn, to silver glass. A light on the water, Grey ships pass, Into the West. |~ "Few now remember them...yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folks that are heedless."
xMellrynxMaidenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #500
Dilettante
Animated Skeleton

Dilettante has just left Hobbiton.
Dilettante is the name, the e at the end is pronounced. I have the worst time spelling Dilettante, so I have to look at it every time I type it.

I have several reasons for choosing this name 1. I wanted something that wasn't the norm, and everything Elvish I liked was already taken. 2. To call someone a dilettante is to say they dabble in something merely for the fun of it. I.e. they aren't professional, they are an amateur. I have about a dozen hobbies and want to know everything about everything. Everything I do (besides my 8-5 job) is for the fun of it, so yes I could classify as a dilettante. 3. In addition to being a huge LOTR fan, I am also a huge Dr. Who fan (Gah! Yes I admit it!) and the Doctor is referred to as 'dilettante' on a couple of occasions. Which is why I initially wanted my name to be Intergalactic Dilettante BUT it would not fit in the box when I was filling out my new member profile. (Don't know why, it just quit filling in letters as I typed.)
Old 02-13-2011, 08:27 AM   #501
Parmastahir
Wight

Parmastahir has just left Hobbiton.
Noted this thread and, after reading through the many explanations herein, realized that I had not posted. Parmastahir is parma (book) asta (month) hir (to find.) So book of months finder or calendar collector. It speaks to my obsession of discovering, collecting, and cataloging Tolkien calendars. Thanks all!

Away from The Green Hill Country,

Parm