The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-21-2002, 07:24 PM   #1
NicktheOrc
Animated Skeleton

Location: The Witch-Realm of Angmar, a.k.a. some place in Australia
NicktheOrc has just left Hobbiton.
Ring Were all of the Nazgūl washed away at the Ford of Bruinen?

Were all of the Nine washed away at the Ford of Bruinen? All that was found was a tattered cloak and eight dead horses. Maybe one of them had escaped or something? Because that cloak might have belonged to the Rider on one of those horses. You know what I mean?

---------------------------

Quote:
Three of the black horses had been found at once drowned in the flooded Ford. On the rocks of the rapids below it searchers discovered the bodies of five more, and also a long black cloak, slashed and tattered.
---------------------------

See?

[ June 21, 2002: Message edited by: NicktheOrc ]
Old 06-21-2002, 07:29 PM   #2
Reginald Hill
Pile O'Bones

Reginald Hill has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I'm not sure but they didn't see the "black riders" after that. Frodo couldn't remember anything after that though so they could have still been chasing him. The riders did ALL get new "winged steeds" so it is most likely that they were all washed away. That's a deep question though! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Reginald Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 07:59 PM   #3
Elrian
Eldar Spirit of Truth

Elrian has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
Three of the black horses had been found at once drowned in the flooded Ford. On the rocks of the rapids below it searchers discovered the bodies of 5 more, and also a long black cloak, slashed and tattered. Of the Black Riders no other trace was to be seen, and nowhere was their presence to be felt. It seemed that they had vanished from the North.
Quote:
Eight out of the Nine are accounted for at least, said Gandalf. It is rash to be sure, yet I think that we may hope now that the Ringwraiths were scattered, and have been obliged to return as best they could to their Master in Morder, empty and shapeless
Quote:
In no region had the messengers discovered any signs or tidings of the Riders or other servants of the Enemy. Even from the Eagles of the Misty Mountains they had learned no fresh news.
It would seem that only eight of the nine horses perished according to these passages, But if one had survived that and gotten out, I think they would have found the tracks leading out somewhere before the rapids where the other 5 were found.
Quote:
The black horses were filled with madness, and leaping forward in terror they bore their riders into the rushing flood. Their piercing cries were drowned in the roaring of the river as it carried them away
I'll stick to Old Toby and a Hobbit hole.*~*
Elrian is offline   Reply With Quote