The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-23-2006, 01:51 PM   #1
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Three Wishes

Ok, you can have three Tolkien related wishes. What would they be? Something current but too expensive, something no longer available, something you wish would become available.

My three (none currently available):

'Tolkien in Oxford': a documentary made & broadcast by the BBC in 1967/68. On DVD please. I'd love to see this, as its the only filmed in-depth interview with Tolkien in colour. I've seen clips from it & its fascinating. Probably the most important 'document' available. (Wonder if the Tolkien Estate has any part in its not being released on dvd?)

BBC Jackanory Hobbit: A Children's series where an actor would read a story straight to camera over a week. This was a special, broadcast over two weeks, to celebrate the 2,000 edition More info here
I remember seeing this as a teenager. There was something special about it for me - the 'woodland grove' set, the actors/storytelllers. Hope I wouldn't be disappointed if I saw it again. Like the BBC Radio LotR it came out in my early Tolkien days, so it has special memories for me.

Tolkien's translation of Beowulf. His own translation of his first love. I'd love to see what he brought to it.

Only three remember....

Last edited by davem; 06-24-2006 at 03:38 AM.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:07 PM   #2
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Ok, here goes:

1) A first edition copy of "The Hobbit"

2) A chance to hear Tolkien talk about his writing (in person)

3) An autobiography of Tolkien
Old 06-23-2006, 03:18 PM   #3
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
davem's in the bath so I can't clarify the rules, so here goes...

1. A BBC Drama of Lord of the Rings, full budget, top actors, totally honest to the book, as long as it takes to televise the full series. Produced by someone with my vision. Meh.

2. A whole lot more of the weird unpublished stuff like Osanwe Kenta. Mmmmmm.....

3. Tolkien's diaries. If he wrote them, I don't know.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:40 AM   #4
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ok, didn't clarify the rules- has to be something with personal relevance to you. I've just gone back & added a bit to my original post. You can't just have all first editions, or signed letters so you can brag about them.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:32 AM   #5
narfforc
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

narfforc has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ugh Davem doing his Ulmo impersonations.........................Anyway here are my three wishes

1. A 3D computer programme allowing anyone (Me in particular) to visit any place on the map of Arda, watch the whole history unfold before your eyes, to be able to change or influence key moments playing as Iluvatar or Morgoth.

2. To have enough money to own a real cave just like Azogs

3. To be given just five minutes with Tolkien whilst alive.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:30 PM   #6
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Back to Neil Gaiman again (a fave topic ), I was reading Volume 4 of Sandman today again, and noticed something in one of the stories that fascinated me. It was about Lucien, Dream's assistant. He keeps a library of the stories that authors dreamed and thought about but did not finish. On the shelf behind him are some of the books, including a weighty looking tome, JRR Tolkien's The Lost Road.

I'll bet some would wish to look in that library.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:21 PM   #7
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dūm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I'll bite.

1) Two mint first editions of "The Hobbit." One to sell for gobs of money, and one to savor. I'm not much on "collectables," but I wouldn't mind reading the original version of "Riddles in the Dark."

2) A lengthy interview with Christopher Tolkien about his father's work. The 'once removed' factor whoud provide even more insight than his father coud give, and his insights as a scholar, as well as J.R.R.'s son, should be recorded in his own voice in as much detail as can be provided.

3) A highlight tour of Arda. It would start in Valinor and move outward through Tol Eressea to Numenor and north through all of Beleriand, and then eastward through Middle Earth from the north kingdom to Gondor and back out to sea past Numenor just as it was going under and then back to Valinor and then beyond the circles of the world through the Void and ending in a glimpse of Eru.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:18 AM   #8
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radaghastly
1) Two mint first editions of "The Hobbit." One to sell for gobs of money, and one to savor. I'm not much on "collectables," but I wouldn't mind reading the original version of "Riddles in the Dark."
I can grant your wish - well, here's the original version of Riddles in the Dark at least.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:02 AM   #9
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
all impossible, of course... but requirements as set did not rule that out...

1) To be back in 1988-89, when I've accidentaly discovered the Hobbit on my bookshelf, to stand before this bookshelf taking out books at random to stumble upon TH and decide to read it.

2) To be back in 1993, walking in the book-market beneath the "Dry Bridge" in Tbilisi, to see The Ruturn of The King I've been waiting for two years and have money on me to buy it

3) To go to Oxford in 1937, just after publication of the Hobbit, and accidentaly make acquaintance of Tolkien in the Eagle and Child (and become friends, of course)

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 07:49 AM   #10
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dūm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
davem

Thanks for the link. I guess Gollum was not such a bad chap originally.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:22 AM   #11
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dūm

zifnab has just left Hobbiton.
Who'da a thunk it?

Lets see. I'm gonna cross off the material items firstly, and go straight for the impossible list (except of course for numero uno).

1. Something current but too expensive - To participate/organize (in) some sort of Tolkien convention.

2. Something no longer available - Glorfindel's 'True and Accurate' biography.

3. Something you wish would become available - To be hidden as Tolkien reads a bed-time story to his children. I don't know why. But I think it would help in telling me what type of man he was.

You see, all simple things.