The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-07-2008, 09:46 AM   #1121
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
shall be all the colours of the rainbow (though not similtaneously).
I was going to say. For a second there I thought you would reveal your secret identity (Mitharuman of many colours!)
Old 05-07-2008, 11:09 AM   #1122
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
But then I would no longer be Mith-anything.... I know this is treasonable but I do occasionally allow non-tolkien cultural references to permeate my mind.

The Fiona resolution is from the film "Four Weddings and a Funeral"

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:38 AM   #1123
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Slightly drunken middle-aged men (the nicer ones) one meets in the metro. When they're nice they deffinitely are quite amusing - and depressing, of course, but I've gotten over that.

How about this, yesterday:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo L., the blind blues man
You all know the tale in which there's a frog that turns into a price when a princess kisses it? Well the frog was found in that duckpool in which a duck swam. But actually there's no duckpool in that tale. No! Oh, and I'm that duck. I'm a duck!
I really had to switch off my mp3-player and sit beside him for a chat after he said that.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:40 AM   #1124
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Rain.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:03 PM   #1125
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Rain.
Seconded.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:48 PM   #1126
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I assign being done with the musical you've been working on for months and a week after closing night, you are in a ballroom dancing class! I now know how to mambo, tango, one step, and merengue! How exciting!
Old 05-08-2008, 06:42 AM   #1127
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Waking up and being able to hear properly again in both ears... the head in a bucket effect was driving me nuts....

Allergies are clearly natures way of stopping you enjoying spring too much...

Old 05-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #1128
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Rain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen View Post
Seconded.
Thirded, although I wanted to post something like that already a week ago... (and going along these lines, could have posted that years ago...)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:41 PM   #1129
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Thirded, although I wanted to post something like that already a week ago... (and going along these lines, could have posted that years ago...)
If you'd all enjoy, I could lend you a few terentual downpours.

For this week, going to work and recieving dog kisses instead of claws in the face.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:42 PM   #1130
McCaber
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

McCaber has been trapped in the Barrow!
I'll assign the sultry tones of Streetlight Manifesto. If it weren't for their music I might not make it through this finals week...
McCaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:18 AM   #1131
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

I assign very bright lightnings, accidentally looking directly at one, and the momentary blindness that follows.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:48 PM   #1132
The Elf-warrior
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Elf-warrior is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via Skype™ to The Elf-warrior
I'd like to assign unlocking my old email account long after I had given up.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:56 AM   #1133
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Leaf

My mother.

The day before yesterday, we were talking about global warming and she said: "If we ever inherit the forests my parents own, they will not be cut down, not as long as I live."

I love her.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:20 AM   #1134
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I assign the (overall rather feared) teachers who, unexpectedly, decide to finish the lecture by an illustration, reading you a beautiful piece of literature, and even invite the whole class for a drink. (I am horrified by the idea that I actually assigned Professor Š. to the Shire. But he really deserved it. However I am sure all my classmates would be horrified. As am I. Poor hobbits. If they have never heard of Karl Barth, they will now have more than enough of him.)

Consequently, I should assign all good teachers.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 05-25-2008, 06:51 PM   #1135
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I know what you mean Legate , good teachers are what you call a diamond in the rough.

I assign all good friends to the Shire. The people who surprise you with little things that mean so much to you, and they just want to make you lose all self control and hug them forever and just say "I love you" over and over again without stopping. God bless them!
Old 05-25-2008, 11:55 PM   #1136
kementari
Haunting Spirit

kementari has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to kementari
Silmaril Holiday Destination

I'd like to assign Bekah (friend) to the Shire. As she has been working really hard at Uni this semester and deserves a well earnt break. Just imagining sitting down under the trees, blue skies, what a holiday.

Think I'd like to go with her.

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo.
kementari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 01:15 PM   #1137
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I assign sunlight that shines through the leaves and turns everything golden and green, and the scent of blooming trees.

But most of all I want to assign luminous nights. It's lovely not to have to turn on the light if I go to get something to eat, even if it was 1 am - and it's only May.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:24 PM   #1138
Volo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
But most of all I want to assign luminous nights. It's lovely not to have to turn on the light if I go to get something to eat, even if it was 1 am - and it's only May.
Hah! I could send that to Mordor. How about waking up at 5AM and not being able to fall asleep again because the curtains don't manage to keep the nasty bad light out of the house. (I did change rooms after that.) Then again, I could be called an optimist in some way, because I have equally a lot to complain about each season.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:30 PM   #1139
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo View Post
Hah! I could send that to Mordor. How about waking up at 5AM and not being able to fall asleep again because the curtains don't manage to keep the nasty bad light out of the house. (I did change rooms after that.) Then again, I could be called an optimist in some way, because I have equally a lot to complain about each season.
I also assign waking up more refreshed than usually because of the nice light. And apparently I should be glad for my ability to sleep despite the curtains being drawn.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:55 AM   #1140
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I kind of side with Agan here. Luminous evening are certainly Shire-worthy: it's just lovely to lay on your bed and read a book in the twilight about 11pm... surely much better than it being dark outside and you having to turn the ugly electric light on.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:44 AM   #1141
Volo

Quote:
I kind of side with Agan here. Luminous evening are certainly Shire-worthy: it's just lovely to lay on your bed and read a book in the twilight about 11pm... surely much better than it being dark outside and you having to turn the ugly electric light on.
Hmm... You're right, but I myself read in the storeroom in a heap of soft stuff, surrounded by electric light and music. Unfortunately, no fresh air, so I fall asleep when reading. Then again, I equally fall asleep in the warmth of the sun while reading outside. :/
Old 06-01-2008, 12:17 PM   #1142
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Leaf

Walking barefoot, silly RPGs and summer holiday.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:44 PM   #1143
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
The very funny guard on my train from Victoria. When he got on he had absolutely no idea where we were going so we had to wait for the announcement while he found his bit of paper that told him what train he was on, and every time we got to a station after that he made some little comment about it. Definitely made the journey more enjoyable! My favourite part was where he listed all the stations and the fact that the train would divide, and then when the voiceover woman then repeated it all he popped back on to the intercom and said 'told you so!' Whole carriage just cracked up laughing.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:47 AM   #1144
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

I assign succesfully passed exams and tests, especially those when they end up to your (best) expectations; and the index quickly filling itself...
Old 06-02-2008, 11:34 AM   #1145
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Getting back to work to find your battered but beloved long black cardigan (Monsoon darlings and one of the few garments I have ever liked enough not to wait for the sale for), safely in the cloakroom lobby.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:52 PM   #1146
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Going to see the Lord of the Rings musical for the third (and, most likely, final time ... though if anyone wants to see it before it closes and fancies a companion ... ) time and enjoying as much if not more than the previous two times.

Also, the luck that got us into the very front standing section at the Springsteen concert and seats only six rows back at the theatre.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:52 AM   #1147
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

ooh I want to go again - I got sent an offer but prob too late now ... Sat Matinee probably best?

I assign the AA and the Dunkirk spirit - I got marooned in a flood this morning.

Also my employers at both the agency and the assignment who in teh former case phoned and cheered me up when the Dunkirk spirit failed (waiting for the AA man to arrive on a little patch of high ground and hoping I hadn't trashed the engine), the assignment people who offered to send out a rescue party and gave me a lift to reclaim my little car (seems ok so far, touch wood).

Old 06-03-2008, 01:01 PM   #1148
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Quote:
ooh I want to go again - I got sent an offer but prob too late now ... Sat Matinee probably best?
If it was the 2 for 1 or the 4 for Ł99 offer I think they're both still going actually. I think they go right up to the last day. Haha, Saturday matinee most expensive!

In a more on topic manner, I assign finally getting a full lie in!
Old 06-06-2008, 05:28 AM   #1149
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

I assign finishing a paper (in this case a thesis proposal) just in time, when I had every plan of asking my adviser for an extension. I started working on it a couple of weeks ago, but summer-induced laziness and online distractions (yes, Barrow-downs, I'm looking at you) kept me from finishing it as early as I wanted. Still, at least I was somehow able to prove that I can actually resist procrastination! Well, sort of. But in a war such as this every battle won counts.

And maybe now I can start writing something that really matters - like RPG posts.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:40 AM   #1150
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

As for last night, I could assign aunts with great ideas for birthday presents, ex tempore ideas, excellent live music and kind old men who pop out from nowhere and offer to change places with you so that you get from the second to last row to the third row.

As for today, I would like to assign sunshine and spending a Swedish lesson by reading a very good but oh-so-overly-dramatic book.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:28 AM   #1151
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Finally getting my transcript after days of waiting and worrying and finding out I did really rather well in my exams! Opposite order than I thought of course (did better in the ones I thought I nearly failed) but who cares? I'm happy!

Ooh, also, finally getting round to sorting out my CRB stuff for my placement. That was weighing on me.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:35 AM   #1152
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I assign swimming in the sea. Because it's just great.

Although, on second thought, the hobbits might not approve. Maybe I'll just keep it to myself, then, or assign in to the Grey Havens or something...
Old 06-09-2008, 03:12 PM   #1153
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I assign Slow Waltzing with the best dancer in my class, then after school is done for the summer, remembering it fondly.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:59 PM   #1154
ArathornJax
Haunting Spirit

ArathornJax has just left Hobbiton.
I'll assign

I'll assign holding one of your children (or a grandchild) as a baby in a rocking chair in the nursery as they fall asleep and looking into the depth of those innocent and beautiful eyes before they close to enter the never-realm of dreams.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:47 PM   #1155
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

I assign Freudian slips. I am sure they would go well with the hobbits' sense of humour.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:27 AM   #1156
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Swimming in a cold foggy lake at 5am. With your clothes on, preferably.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:13 PM   #1157
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I assign finally seeing the sunlight after three weeks of not even sky, just gray.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:00 PM   #1158
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
After last night I should probably assign my work.

I work at a music venue/bar/nightclub and besides the "usual" benifits as cheap beer when going out, free conserts, free drinks while working and a very good pay (for unskilled labour), there is also some mornings that are just amazing.

Last night (6am) when we had closed down "our" part of the venue we went out back to have some beers with our co-workers as we usually do, but this time was special. As it was more of a "morning party" than "after work beer".

When we entered the room there was a few cases of beer and soda standing there and 2 bottles of vodka or gin, which is a bit out of the ordinary (normaly only beer) and after a while this guy came in with a massive champagne cooler which where filled with 1 bottle of Stolichnaya, 2 bottles of 7 year Havana Club and 5 bottles of champagne. . .now I don't know what the market price is for these bottles, but we charge over $100 for them.

Of course there is downsides to this job as well, but I shal save that for Mordor and a day where I am annoyed with my job.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:33 PM   #1159
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Watching LotR on our new telly. It is a 38" flat screen thingy, all digital and LCD and what have you. And I swear its like a whole new world. I mean our old telly wasn't bad at all, it was quite big and did its job, but this...well, wow.....
*gazes at moving pictures flicker across screen in the manner of member of recently-exposed to-technology Amazon tribe*
Old 06-16-2008, 05:06 PM   #1160
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Hey Rune, I would totally assign your workplace too. I remember those drinks and they were amazing. And I still can't believe I missed a Panic at the Disco! concert there only by a couple days. Lucky you who gets to work at such a cool place.